Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rochallor posted:

Ah, cool. Is the owl based on something? I recognized the capitol building immediately because of its distinctiveness but it's been a while since I was out that way.

It's the symbol of Athena, and hence Athens (Greece).

Stolen city valor :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

This looks like Tulsa is going to bomb Pearl Harbor.

Assuming it's from the prosperous black community part of Tulsa history, maybe that's not too far off?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do wonder what people will think of all these fancy aesthetically pleasing vexillologist-compliant flags in a decade or so, whether they will encourage people to take more pride in their locality and give them more of an identity. Or it could go the other way and maybe if these places put more emphasis in these minimalist flags to be their symbol everywhere, then that could lead to the place having less recognition since the flag won't really be recognized by anyone who doesn't already know (and in that sense, Flags might not be good replacements for other symbology like seals).

Can only speak about Tulsa, but when I went there a few years ago to visit my brother, you could buy hats, stickers, etc with the city flag and/or just the "roundel" with the star and the gold fringe, and you did see a lot of them around. I wonder how much of that is replicable versus how much of that is Tulsa-specfic "we're not as bad as the rest of Oklahoma" (think Austin, TX civic pride similarly) but it's an example of the local identity taking hold.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Extremely Texasy of Ranger, Texas to put the high school football mascot on the flag.

Cops and football- visit Ranger!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/Julian_Epp/status/1279537925622030337

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Extremely Texasy of Ranger, Texas to put the high school football mascot on the flag.

Cops and football- visit Ranger!

I love Ranger

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I actually kinda like Coal Valley Township

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I actually kinda like Coal Valley Township

Looks like it was designed by a chi

oh

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is the flag of the city of Makiivka in eastern Ukraine. Geographically it's sort of the Fort Worth to Donetsk's Dallas.

The flag in the upper left is the flag of the Donetsk region. The black star stands for coal. The gold star represents metallurgy. The green star is for natural beauty. The white star represents spirituality.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So it turns out that NAVA, the North American flag dork Association also has annual meetings for them to all nerd out about flags in person, and as part of that, they have a tradition of making a flag for the meeting. They've been doing this since 1967, so they have a long archive of flags from all their meetings. https://nava.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=622278&module_id=475676 The website explains at length all the symbolism of each year's flag, and sometimes even rejected designs. Here's the one they have set up for this year's one in Philidelphia.

They usually try to get these flags to represent the city the meeting takes place in (maybe as a suggestion to the city to adopt something like it instead of the terrible flag they do have), but they also like to work in a big V in somewhere. Maybe something about the year or the number of meeting if they can't think of something. Something else I like about it is that there's also pictures of the flag in the physical world, since a lot of flags you see on the internet are just digital reproductions that might not resemble the original flag design as much as it should, and also physical pictures prove that the flag actually existed. There's a lot of quality variation, some are good, some suck.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/DPearsonPHL/status/1633189372290793472

That NAVA flag is way better than Philly's current one

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would hope that Philadelphia can find more symbolic for itself than just the bell.

Utah also has a new flag now.

https://twitter.com/BeehiveFlag/status/1631381566466441216

It's okay. The bees are a whole Mormon thing.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My only issue is I think the lines on the “mountain” should be straight instead of jagged. The jagged lines make it look too 2020s

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Utah also has a new flag now.

The old flag is the state seal on a blue field. Bleh. Scrub-tier state flag. drat near anything would be better.

Looking forward to Utah's "most improved" award at the next NAVA whatever-they-do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mountains should maybe not be symmetrical and definitely should not parallel the hexagon.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 8, 2023

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Platystemon posted:

Mountains should maybe not be symmetrical and definitely should not parallel hexagon.

How many other flags can you plot on hex-grid paper? :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I would hope that Philadelphia can find more symbolic for itself than just the bell.

There are, but the bell is the most identifiable symbolic i think. Idk what kind of symbol one would use for something like the Declaration of Independence which would also be apt.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The hexagon, star, and beehive overlaid on the thousandth version of a mountain flag make that flag at once very NAVA-esque (an aesthetic I don’t really care for) and way too busy. It kind of sucks and is only an improvement over having a seal on blue.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's not actually mountains, it's five teenaged boys in pressed white shirts all biking at you in formation

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

galagazombie posted:

It will never stop irking me that New Zealand came so close to adopting one of these badass designs but cowardly decided to stay under the yoke of British oppression

This is going back a bit but I feel like I need to point out there are multiple reasons the flag didn't get changed

The main one being that the best flag wasn't given as an option...

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Dragonstoned posted:

This is going back a bit but I feel like I need to point out there are multiple reasons the flag didn't get changed

The main one being that the best flag wasn't given as an option...

also, the alternatives are uninspiring dogshit. christ, i keep forgetting how bad the options were. and i'm including red peak in that - "less awful" isn't "good"

this is my favourite writeup on the whole sorry saga. context for the entire rest of the world: john key was the prime minister of the time who decided that nuw zullund needed a new fleg, for god knows what reason

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The true insanity to me is that you're ok with changing something as fundamental as your name but not the uninspired flag. Autearoa could do way better than this

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The reason for a new flag is pretty obvious: the current one looks like imperial poo poo and is essentially identical to Australia's.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There's no point in changing the flag if what you're changing it to was poo poo. I agree that Red Peak was just the least bad option.

Also I saw a flagpole flying Laser Kiwi the other day :zpatriot:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

quote:

... at the heart of this whole saga was one question that never got answered.

Why?

Without a reason for change, the process was aimless and directionless from the start. There was no movement, no impetus. We weren't reacting to any identity-shattering or identity-defining event. We were choosing the curtains for a house we hadn't built yet. Why? No one really knew.

this really sums it up. no one was excited. no one was passionate. no one really cared. and why should they?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The true insanity to me is that you're ok with changing something as fundamental as your name but not the uninspired flag. Autearoa could do way better than this

nz hasn't changed its name though. and idk, i don't think going from uninspired flag to another uninspired flag because some politician wanted a legacy is really an improvement on the status quo?

john key tried to put the all blacks on our national flag and im glad his attempt failed

god, they're both so dismal

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Does SA have a flag?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
goatse is the closest thing we have to a flag

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Froghammer posted:

goatse is the closest thing we have to a flag

There was a thread years and years ago to design an SA flag. If I recall correctly, the best one did indeed have four horizontal stripes on either side of a circle. (With a ring on the correct "finger", just so there could be no doubt.)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Powered Descent posted:

There was a thread years and years ago to design an SA flag. If I recall correctly, the best one did indeed have four horizontal stripes on either side of a circle. (With a ring on the correct "finger", just so there could be no doubt.)

Inside the ring was stairs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I think it would be an appropriate time for a new design.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1641248751984549889

This isn’t actually sensitive content.

It’s a lovely loving flag of white lines on a navy field. This terminology probably has a vexillologist fuming.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The actual EIC flag probably looked too much like something that a bunch of crypto-fascists and tactical dipshits would make up for Disney to go with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut posted:

The actual EIC flag probably looked too much like something that a bunch of crypto-fascists and tactical dipshits would make up for Disney to go with it.

It is almost the spitting image of the flag that the American Revolutionaries flew.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

What do you have against Hawaii?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Have CGP Grey roasting little girls state flags:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4w6808wJcU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a nice video, although I am a bit tired of flagnerd posing.

I feel like states lacking good flags is kind of a meta statement on the fact that states seldom actually need flags. It's rare for state identity to be a necessary thing for people to differentiate. I think city flags usually are better, and more needed for cities to rally around as their big thing. All of the seal on blue flags is itself another sign of the fact that so many state flags were adopted for opposite reasons from what you normally want flags for. They're not to differentiate, they're for solidarity. All of those Union states during the civil war that didn't have real flags slapped a seal on a good ol' Union blue for when they sent out their divisions, and that's the flags that they're stuck with now.

And then you have Florida proclaiming that it's basically Alabama, which is not exactly untrue.

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

SlothfulCobra posted:

And then you have Florida proclaiming that it's basically Alabama, which is not exactly untrue.
The red saltire in the two flags probably have different origins. The Florida flag’s comes directly from the Cross of Burgundy, which was one of several flags used by the Spanish in the territory during their control. It makes historical sense for them.

The one on the Alabama flag is also officially a cross of St. Andrew, but given it was adopted post-Reconstruction in 1895, there’s a definite possibility it’s just a throwback to the Confederate battle flag.

Sauzer fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 3, 2023

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1641248751984549889

This isn’t actually sensitive content.

It’s a lovely loving flag of white lines on a navy field. This terminology probably has a vexillologist fuming.

I mean, that was the company seal, and it's a bit more recognizable than the flag. They're still dipshits though

I too am a dipshit, this is the Merchant Mark of the EIC

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 3, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's such a hipster indie band logo, four letters in a cross in a heart with a random number coming out of the heart like an apple stalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Guavanaut posted:

That's such a hipster indie band logo, four letters in a cross in a heart with a random number coming out of the heart like an apple stalk.

I mean, when all your sea captains look like this guy...