Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

painfully neutered by our partners to the point of what amounts to essentially a nothing-trailer.

lumalee is my favorite character.

I mean, Lumalee was my favorite part of this short trailer, so I think it did its job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P15S6ND8kbQ

I'm a real wet blanket when it comes to modern comedies but this definitely made me laugh.

Wow, they really made a movie about Eliot Rogers's parents hiring people to be his friend

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Lawrence being in this is very bizarre.
Jennifer Lawrence is kind of rebuilding her career at the moment. She's been very public about the fact that she had really lovely management who pushed her to some bad choices, erring on the side of trying to get more Hunger Games level success over capitalizing her performance in Winter's Bone. Apparently they straight up hid scripts from her. The fact that the only person who gave her good outlets for her skills is a horrible creep probably didn't help matters.

So, she has her own production company and is just doing poo poo she wants to do. This is one of those co-productions.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Timeless Appeal posted:

Jennifer Lawrence is kind of rebuilding her career at the moment. She's been very public about the fact that she had really lovely management who pushed her to some bad choices, erring on the side of trying to get more Hunger Games level success over capitalizing her performance in Winter's Bone. Apparently they straight up hid scripts from her. The fact that the only person who gave her good outlets for her skills is a horrible creep probably didn't help matters.

So, she has her own production company and is just doing poo poo she wants to do. This is one of those co-productions.

doesnt look great to me but Im all for her doing what she wants.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm glad moviestars are dying because they were always overpaid as hell

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think they should make more money, personally

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

I'm sorry to go over well tred ground, but I watched this trailer and I can't get a simple question out of my head. From a financial perspective, why do people keep giving Chris Pratt these huge roles? I mean, he's not Tom Cruise. I don't think there is a huge number of people who will go to a movie just because it stars Chris Pratt. Is there? Is he willing to work for less pay then others? Is it just Hollywood group think? I can't imagine it's just because that people think he's that talented. Like, he was really good on Parks and Rec, mostly good as Starlord and that's about it. What am I missing? I feel like I'm missing some basic understanding of human nature that explains Chris Pratt's success.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

confused posted:

I'm sorry to go over well tred ground, but I watched this trailer and I can't get a simple question out of my head. From a financial perspective, why do people keep giving Chris Pratt these huge roles? I mean, he's not Tom Cruise. I don't think there is a huge number of people who will go to a movie just because it stars Chris Pratt. Is there? Is he willing to work for less pay then others? Is it just Hollywood group think? I can't imagine it's just because that people think he's that talented. Like, he was really good on Parks and Rec, mostly good as Starlord and that's about it. What am I missing? I feel like I'm missing some basic understanding of human nature that explains Chris Pratt's success.

For whatever reason every so often Hollywood execs just suddenly pick a generic buff white guy and decide he's going to be the next major star whether you want it or not. Sam Worthington, Jai Courtney, now Chris Pratt.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

confused posted:

I don't think there is a huge number of people who will go to a movie just because it stars Chris Pratt. Is there?

I don't think so either, but that's the only explanation that really makes sense. It's like how they say advertising works no matter what you think because simple recognition of a brand is still more powerful than a complete unknown. The execs have a specific list of A-listers based on previous movie grosses and I think they absolutely put their fist down in a lot of big projects because they refuse to risk their production on a lesser star.

He also does fit perfectly into the buff bland white guy that Hollywood loves, but I don't think he'd be so ubiquitous without a decade of huge populist hits under his belt. It's just that he hasn't been the reason for those hits in almost a decade.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don’t forget all the connections and relationships between agents and studios. Mario is Universal, so was Jurassic World. I don’t know what his big thing was before that but his people likely already had an in with Universal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He sounds like total poo poo every time he opens his mouth in the Mario stuff. It's such a terrible performance. Everyone else is perfectly fine but I don't know what the gently caress he is doing.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Guardians was a hit and Jurassic World made like a billion dollars so he's just coasting off that. That kind of box office success will get you a lot of chances as a star. He has slightly more on screen charisma than your Jai Courtneys and Sam Worthingtons too, so that's a bonus, but it doesn't really matter as much as whether your past movies made money. I guarantee you the execs don't give a poo poo whether he sounds like Mario or is putting in a good performance. If the movie is tracking well and ends up making money they are happy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The movie will make all the money and the universal cry will be "Jack Black's turn as Bowser revels in cartoon villainy while Pratt's Mario is an exercise in mediocrity" so the sequel will be an SMB2 style romp with a Mario is Missing coating.

The 3rd will just be an adaptation of Odyssey, with a Nintendo Land teaser ft Link

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I’m not saying it’s a good performance or anything, but Mario’s gonna be playing the straight man no matter what—he’s the silent protagonist and the player perspective in the games, it does make sense to an extent that everyone around him should be more fun to watch.

That role can be played well or poorly, I’ll reserve judgment until I see how it all fits together.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
He’s no Bob Hoskins, that’s for drat sure

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

wuffles posted:

I’m not saying it’s a good performance or anything, but Mario’s gonna be playing the straight man no matter what—he’s the silent protagonist and the player perspective in the games, it does make sense to an extent that everyone around him should be more fun to watch.

That role can be played well or poorly, I’ll reserve judgment until I see how it all fits together.

That's a good way of putting it. Like, the ideal Legend of Zelda movie would have Link silent, though I'm sure when they eventually get around to that, he'll talk. But hopefully it won't be much. Mario isn't exactly the same, but it's not that different, really. The crazy poo poo is happening around him, and he's there to react to it.

Luigi gets to be a bit different, since he's at least been hunting ghosts for a while in games. And to be fair, he has been a little different since Mario 2 on the NES, where he could jump higher, and Mario was the "normal, average version of all other characters". Luigi gets to be the different one in games, Mario is the Mickey Mouse of Nintendo, more of a brand than a character.

As for why Pratt is in this, when Pratt is funny, he tends to do well. Like Parks and Rec and Guardians. It's when he's serious that it doesn't go as well, like Passengers, that alien time travel movie, or that based-on-a-true-story military movie I never saw. But I see why they'd cast him in a funny video game movie where he jumps on the turtles and plays Mario Kart. Seems kind of in his wheel house, at least more than a lot of his recent output. On paper, it makes sense. Whether it will work in the movie, I have no idea, but everything surrounding him is looking great, so I'm in.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jewmanji posted:

He’s no Bob Hoskins, that’s for drat sure

That movie's existence will forever be a mystery to me. As will its "You're never gonna believe this" ending. The sheer audacity of them to setup a sequel to that piece of poo poo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

confused posted:

Lego Movie made a LOT of money

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ruddiger posted:

Lego Movie made a LOT of money

Right, in my list of "Where Pratt is being funny", I somehow forgot The LEGO Movie, which is insane, because it's the clearest analogue for several reasons (the most obvious being that it's a voice over role, but there are others).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Pratt seems like the epitome of the internet bubble. He's the lead in three very popular franchises and people online are shocked about it because he's churchy and left his wife.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was gonna say if you're asking about why Pratt was cast and ignoring LEGO you're missing the point. Also I'm not sure if you realize how much his Jurassic films made globally for Universal

Also he's fine in the movie so please ignore illumination trying to hide him because people are mad. Pratt isn't affecting Guardians tracking, there's no reason to hide him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

Like, the ideal Legend of Zelda movie would have Link silent,

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I guarantee you when they make the LoZ movie they will include this as a Reference For the Fans To Enjoy

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

kiimo posted:

I was gonna say if you're asking about why Pratt was cast and ignoring LEGO you're missing the point. Also I'm not sure if you realize how much his Jurassic films made globally for Universal

Also he's fine in the movie so please ignore illumination trying to hide him because people are mad. Pratt isn't affecting Guardians tracking, there's no reason to hide him.

Ah.... didn't even think about the LEGO movie because I never got around to seeing it. He was strong in that?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah he was kinda perfect for it tbh.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

confused posted:

Ah.... didn't even think about the LEGO movie because I never got around to seeing it. He was strong in that?

It was the absolute perfect role for him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Colonel Whitey posted:

I guarantee you when they make the LoZ movie they will include this as a Reference For the Fans To Enjoy

I don't have any reason to watch these movies unless they validate my experience with references.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

confused posted:

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah he was kinda perfect for it tbh.

Also the Lego Movie owns so you should just watch it regardless of Pratt’s performance.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, he's just his character from Parks so it works. His accent here - we'll see how it plays out in the full movie. I just booked tickets taking my niece and brother for opening weekend.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, he's just his character from Parks so it works. His accent here - we'll see how it plays out in the full movie. I just booked tickets taking my niece and brother for opening weekend.

butts in seats confirmed

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

That movie's existence will forever be a mystery to me. As will its "You're never gonna believe this" ending. The sheer audacity of them to setup a sequel to that piece of poo poo.

https://youtu.be/X9VM-y5o7TI

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Amazing.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Now I know what inspired this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDJsCE01LYI

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Also the Lego Movie owns so you should just watch it regardless of Pratt’s performance.

It's definitely on my list. Am just waiting for my daughter to get a little older to watch it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's me, the guy who had NO IDEA what Bob Hoskins sounded like with his real accent

confused posted:

It's definitely on my list. Am just waiting for my daughter to get a little older to watch it.

the best thing about watching the LEGO movie is knowing you get to watch LEGO Batman next

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

The Mario bros movie owns, you damned fool

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol this rules

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

are you sure nostalgia isn't doing this to you like it did to me with UHF

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 10, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MacheteZombie posted:

In the world of 90's "so bad they're fun" video game movies, I'll take Street Fighter any day of the week. Or Mortal Kombat, which, outside of some terrible CGI, is a decent martial arts movie.

How do you feel about the Double Dragon movie?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

are you sure nostalgia isn't going this to you like it did to me with UHF

What the hell is wrong with UHF you big dumb galoot :mad: