Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

IMO the Pens should just take Rutherford and Allvin back.

Rutherford had a string of good trades leading up to 2016, but he def stopped making good trades after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also Granlund kinda sucks. Trash him.
Bring back Jordan Staal this summer, get the whole gang back together

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Jeff Carter usage. Brian Dumoulin usage.

Stubbornly sticking with combinations that didn't work for way too long (Guentzel-Crosby-Rust for example). The team's inability to defend leads. The team's frequent lovely starts or just total no shows. Bad special teams.

Scratching useful players (DOC/POJ)

I don't know if he's been terrible maybe I'm overreacting a bit by saying that but he's been a heavily flawed coach this year imo

These are all fair. I think some of it is a mixed bag though with part of Hextall's job (imo) is to take away the coaches favorite toy(s) that are killing the team and give them someone useful. But there's definitely blame to go around.

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1634027094605692928?s=20

This is breaking my brain right now. Sullivan talking about expected goals when referencing the powerplay's work and yet he just throws Jeff Carter to the wolves night after night and accepts the results he's getting from him

This is hilarious. Of course they (likely) use a different modeling system...but Nat Stat has the Pens at 6th in TOTAL xGF created. Of course the 8.11 xGA is 2nd worst in the league as well. If you want to talk rates the Pens fall from 6th to 11th. Their actual results fall to 15th on a rate basis and if you want to go by xG split the Pens are.......24th lol. Yeah ok everyone in the Pens org has lost their freaking minds.

Edit: ^^^ In a team that has been plagued by no finishers adding another player that underperforms when shooting the puck is some big brained poo poo. I think Granlund/Bones/DoC or whoever could be a solidly effective line. Jeff Carter needs to be put on the 4th line in the worst way. I do not wish to talk about the Pens PK, but it has gotten significantly worse since Blueger was traded away.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 10, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Rutherford had a string of good trades leading up to 2016, but he def stopped making good trades after that.

He'd be a fine GM if he was in charge of a good team with a bunch of stars on its roster contending for a cup. Sadly he's 74 and has zero patience so he's the worst person to run a dumpster fire in need of a rebuild.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
lotta buzz about danny briere this morning

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I do not wish to talk about the Pens PK, but it has gotten significantly worse since Blueger was traded away.

Who could have seen that coming

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/giana_jade/status/1634192858616832012?s=46&t=VUGdRrz_VzXeZTBjvqaZqA

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Flyers just can't resist having a former player run their team into the ground.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

He'd be a fine GM if he was in charge of a good team with a bunch of stars on its roster contending for a cup. Sadly he's 74 and has zero patience so he's the worst person to run a dumpster fire in need of a rebuild.

All of these guys in their mid-70’s and 80’s in these positions wouldn’t even be alive to enjoy a rebuild so I can understand JR’s insistence on a re-tool.

Not sure why we even fuckin allow people to work high-ranking positions when they’re 70+, the power-hungry ghouls. Retire and spend some time with your grandkids

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Who could have seen that coming

A bunch of internet idiots posting on an old style internet forums message board that dates back to when Ron Hextall still played goalie.

Congrats but also lol. You sure having a guy whose entire GM'ing experience is from being special advisor to the GM you just fired for incompetence is wise? I mean I guess it's on a interim basis....for now....

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Probably should hire a man of experience. Who's dealt with both a rebuild and a Stanley Cup. A man like Peter Chiarelli.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Prolly should have done this before a completely botched deadline but I mean who among us really knew Chuck was totally incompetent?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

This is hilarious. Of course they (likely) use a different modeling system...but Nat Stat has the Pens at 6th in TOTAL xGF created. Of course the 8.11 xGA is 2nd worst in the league as well. If you want to talk rates the Pens fall from 6th to 11th. Their actual results fall to 15th on a rate basis and if you want to go by xG split the Pens are.......24th lol. Yeah ok everyone in the Pens org has lost their freaking minds.

I believe Sullivan was referring specifically to the top unit when referencing expected goals with the PP. I know their overall numbers aren't as flattering as he's claiming but maybe it's a different story if just filtered to the top unit.

But still, I don't want to hear the words expected goals come out of Sullivan's mouth when he is using Jeff Carter the way he is lol

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

ThinkTank posted:

The Flyers just can't resist having a former player run their team into the ground.

We especially love to do it when you hire someone from the outside who is lovely and then we go, "SEE? HIRE FROM WITHIN"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol Flyers, can’t wait for the Torts hot take on the firing.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I believe Sullivan was referring specifically to the top unit when referencing expected goals with the PP. I know their overall numbers aren't as flattering as he's claiming but maybe it's a different story if just filtered to the top unit.

But still, I don't want to hear the words expected goals come out of Sullivan's mouth when he is using Jeff Carter the way he is lol

Idk it feels like the 2nd PP unit scores more than the first anyways and we're all agreed the best powerplay of the season was when the 4th line was out with PoJ and Petry. I would very much wonder how things would look with Dumo out and PoJ in. Also, with 1 game sample, Nylander put up fantastic numbers with Zucker/Geno and I think I would really like to see some other players tried there 'cause Rust has been questionable.

Sullivan's unwillingness to tinker when everything has been so obviously disjointed for the year isn't ideal for sure. Also fire Tidd Reirden.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

quote:

The Flyers have decided to part ways with Chuck Fletcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

quote:

Danny Briere, former Flyer and current special assistant to the GM, will take over as interim general manager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNHooTszyW4

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

loving finally, despite being at a useless time

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm honestly surprised he's out completely. I figured he would get bumped to hockey ops or some poo poo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Happy Fletcher Fired Day FAS :unsmith:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
drat, really thought the guy who we didn’t even trust to hire a coach last summer would have made some competent moves this season

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I guess Briere is interim now. Loved him as a player and don't know what impact he had in his time as an assistant but I guess it can't be any worse. All the 70s guys that are still a thorn in the team's side really need to go though.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

*burying Chuck Fletcher's career in mud by the Schuylkill*

I will see you again. But not yet. I mean, hopefully never, but definitely not yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghxzLw2wRis

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/AntSanPhilly/status/1634195399752777730?t=SazcypTooEc8zE0A9kxskw&s=19

Alright, now we're talking

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1634207140259717123?t=AOtGteeuC3UsWPAp-Nnj-Q&s=19

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Considering, I assume, trading players and making calls to facilitate those moves aren't all on *just* the GM but his team of people I'm sure Danny knows exactly how to get things done.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm curious what the final straw was, especially with this being painfully overdue. Torts couldn't have been happy at all with the deadline flop

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

shyduck posted:

I'm curious what the final straw was, especially with this being painfully overdue. Torts couldn't have been happy at all with the deadline flop

I don't blame Torts for anything other than probably being a +10 or so to expected points on the season, killing their chance of a top five pick

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

triple sulk posted:

I don't blame Torts for anything other than probably being a +10 or so to expected points on the season, killing their chance of a top five pick
I can't even say I can blame him for that because he was never the right coach for a tankjob. Maybe if Fletcher and company didn't misread the situation so poorly, things would be different. And that's not a slight on Torts necessarily

I thought his focus on conditioning was great. But imagine if the team was actually good

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

shyduck posted:

I can't even say I can blame him for that because he was never the right coach for a tankjob. Maybe if Fletcher and company didn't misread the situation so poorly, things would be different. And that's not a slight on Torts necessarily

Blame is mostly in jest here, it's not his fault and I agree he wasn't the right choice for what they should have been doing

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Okay, this could be good.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

shyduck posted:

I mean it’s the final, final, final, final, straw but I have to imagine the combo on not moving JvR at the deadline- literally the easiest thing in the world for a GM to do and his big signing once again embarrassing himself, not with his play this time, but with his usual dumb antics didn’t help his case.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I think Briere was running the Rangers ECHL team when Drury took over?

Drury has been up and down but he was an advisor to Gorton and the Hartford GM before taking over and it's worked out. Then again, Gorton built the team.

We constantly bitch about the old boys club but it's good to see some new guys (even if they're familiar faces) step in.

If I was a Flyers fan I'd be cautiously optimistic?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Drury worked and learned from Gorton. Who seemed decent/solid enough and that front office (at least from me barely paying attention) seems to function on, well, a functional capable level.

Danny has been learning from....Chuck Fletcher. So. Less than ideal. And that's before we get into the entire dysfunctional nature of the Flyers org from top to bottom.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Getting former players to run the team always works well. Godspeed

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Glad fletcher is gone, but it’s going to take years to undo his damage

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Danny has been learning from....Chuck Fletcher. So. Less than ideal. And that's before we get into the entire dysfunctional nature of the Flyers org from top to bottom.

Hopefully he was sitting next to him during phone calls and going JESUS CHRIST THIS FUCKIN GUY.

PS the influence of Comcast still hovers of this team and they suck rear end.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Dirty Burger posted:

We’ll obviously never know the full story about what happened in Detroit, but the Wings waiving him after he came back from rehab seemed like a weird dick move. What the hell went on between him and the team? Offensively he looked great

His personal issues were something that he was trying to spread in the dressing room, guys didn't like it, and he was a toxic asset.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

His personal issues were something that he was trying to spread in the dressing room, guys didn't like it, and he was a toxic asset.

How family adjacent is this source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Getting former players to run the team always works well. Godspeed
The funny thing is since 1984, the Flyers have had 7 GMs (Clarke twice), and only 2 of them were non-Flyers, Fletcher and Russ Farwell. Those two arguably had the worst tenures. Farwell oversaw 4 years of no playoffs in an era where bad teams made it in all the time, but was in charge for the Lindros trade.