Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Wibla posted:

It's TFTcentral.co.uk's youtube channel :negative:

with only 2k subsribers and not a very good production overall.

There's lots of good reasons not to get OLED, and if you're mainly doing document work OLED is not a great fit feature or cost wise, but this video is taking small differences and blowing them up in a really click baity way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, that's one of the most reputable monitor reviewers on the internet, lol. The youtube channel is new for him, but his website has been around for quite a while and has some of the most detailed and well-informed monitor content around. To be frank, he's not a good youtube presenter, but I guess he feels like he has to branch out in that direction since fewer and fewer people are reading written articles these days.

I have seen multiple people end up bothered by text clarity in OLED. The ABL stuff he talks about is definitely real, and it's another common point of complaint from people using LG OLED TVs as monitors. It's much less of an issue with QD-OLED though since it does 250 nits at 100% white screens, but a ton of people have been remarking on how dim the new LG monitors seem to them. So it's definitely an issue.

Really, nothing he says in that video is wrong. And I think you have the wrong takeaway from that video if you think he's suggesting people don't buy OLED monitors. It's worth being aware of all the possible risks and downsides, though (and yes, burn-in is still absolutely a risk when using an OLED as a computer monitor).

edit: that video is very level-headed and informational. I think you are the one taking things out of proportion here.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The points of "hey maybe don't use an OLED for a largely static display" are still valid. Just...probably not really an actual concern for most people doing mixed-mode use. Don't buy 'em if all you're ever gonna do is office work with the same elements on screen forever. Similarly, OLEDs are somewhat less bright, so if you're trying to use one in a very bright room with poor lighting control, it's gonna be less than ideal.

But again, these are mostly fringe concerns for anyone willing to dump $1000 into a monitor in the first place. If you're willing to invest that much in a monitor, you're likely looking for exactly the things OLED excels at: great color and contrast, super fast timings, etc., and not planning on just looking at a single spreadsheet for 8 hours a day.

What I'm super interested in is this lill' guy: 34M2C8600 from...Philips? Hits all the highs for me: 34" OLED @175Hz with a KVM built in and, from the looks of it, a normal stripe subpixel layout to avoid the weird fringing that you get with a lot of the other current OLED offerings.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I do document work/email all day and am happy with the alienware qd-oled, shrug. Got the fancy zones rockin to look at 3 things side by side.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The only times I see people report burn-in on their oled monitors is when they're doing exactly that, so... good luck.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The only times I see people report burn-in on their oled monitors is when they're doing exactly that, so... good luck.

It's fine as long as you're moving the windows around somewhat regularly.

If you just open Outlook full screen and work within it for 8hrs without moving anything...yeah, probably not the best long-term plan. But even then, the new OLEDs do a significant amount of pixel rotation to combat exactly that, so you still might be ok.

Really it's an excuse for taking a 10 min break every hour or two to watch YouTube or do something else to break things up.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dogen posted:

I do document work/email all day and am happy with the alienware qd-oled, shrug. Got the fancy zones rockin to look at 3 things side by side.

I kind of still want to get this thing and replace my 2 monitors with it, but I have like... a Scrivener pane that stays open all the time, and Outlook etc etc as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Isn’t Oled burn in cumulative, so taking breaks wouldn’t help if the rest of time you have the same layout?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

it's cumulative, but it helps if you periodically work the other subpixels to help even the rate of wear. that's sort of what pixel refreshers do behind the scenes when they run.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

with only 2k subsribers and not a very good production overall.

You're arguing using one of the basic logical fallacies: appeal to the people. Just because more people like it, doesn't make it correct.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

it's cumulative, but it helps if you periodically work the other subpixels to help even the rate of wear. that's sort of what pixel refreshers do behind the scenes when they run.

Yeah I’m consistently opening and closing and moving stuff around it’s not like the same stuff all day. Also doing the pixel refresh thingy when it tells me every 4 hours. On top of that the QD are less prone to burn in as I understand it, though I guess they’ve not been out long enough for anyone to know for sure. Plus I also play vidyagames obvs

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've been using an OLED 4K laptop for three years. Text looks fine unless you're looking at really fine text. Microsoft needs to be held accountable to loving Update Cleartype.

The brightness thing he's talking about, I literally can't run the monitor at 100% because it's too bright. I usually have it around 70-80%

Back when I was running it at 100%, I never saw it auto-dim the screen even in tests with an all white screen.

No burn in over 3 years with plenty of static work. All you gotta do is sons basic housekeeping:

1) Set background to solid black

2) Hide desktop icons

3) Set taskbar to autohide

Lastly I don't bother with HDR. Goons scoff at me when I say it's just a gimmick that makes everything look washed out, "you're not doing it correctly", I dunno I ran through the actual HDR profile calibration utility in Windows 11 and tried everything, even Auto HDR, nothing gets games to look better than just leaving it off.

So, all 5 of this guys points are a non-issue for me on those Asus Amoled laptops.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’ve tried it a bunch of times, but I can never get used to an auto hiding taskbar. I don’t like the delay. (fortunately for me, I can’t afford an oled anyway).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I've been using an OLED 4K laptop for three years. Text looks fine unless you're looking at really fine text. Microsoft needs to be held accountable to loving Update Cleartype.

i think everyone is eager to drop support for subpixel rendering as soon as they can reasonably get away with it, so it's hard to justify doing new work that's destined to get scrapped

apple already killed subpixel rendering years ago, since they were able to push the adoption of high DPI displays on their systems, but uptake is much slower in windows land

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Rinkles posted:

I’ve tried it a bunch of times, but I can never get used to an auto hiding taskbar. I don’t like the delay. (fortunately for me, I can’t afford an oled anyway).

same and i don't feel that i should have to omit or modify basic elements of my office work to conform to the tech. tradeoffs ....

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I'm not doing anything beyond trying to mix up what's on my display some and doing the refresh dealie and if I have to warranty the thing in 3 years, no big deal.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Dogen posted:

I'm not doing anything beyond trying to mix up what's on my display some and doing the refresh dealie and if I have to warranty the thing in 3 years, no big deal.

Sames. In fact I'll probably just warranty it in 2 years just to spite Dell :dukedog:

edit: joking aside, I feel like the burn in issue is really overblown

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 10, 2023

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Has there been any word about the release date of the LG 27GR95QE OLED in Europe? There's nothing definite on their website.

Also have there been any reports about upcoming 27 inch non-curved QD-OLEDs? I've only seen 34" models or above.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Any current recommendation for a 27" 1440p IPS monitor to pair with the gaming pc i'm buying my partner? Haven't bought much else lately, dunno if 27" is even still the gold standard.

Edit: nvidia card, so G-Sync and not Freesync.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

nvidia supports freesync, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Personally I'd look into 34" UW 1440p over 27" 16:9 1440p at this stage, but that's just my personal bias :sun:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Wibla posted:

nvidia supports freesync, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Personally I'd look into 34" UW 1440p over 27" 16:9 1440p at this stage, but that's just my personal bias :sun:

is a 30XX going to be able to drive that many pixels? Or am I going to need a 40xx?

I'm still in the market for a 27", as the price nearly doubles on a 34UW as well, but i'm open to suggestions such as that. I think I need to get an IPS and a decent refresh rate though just to maintain basic standards of decency.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 11, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

3060ti and up will do fine for 1440p.

I'm running a 3070ti for a 38" 4k UW (3840x1600) and I don't have any issues in games.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ok i'm mostly looking at 3070 rigs so I guess that works.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It really depends on whether you value frame rate or resolution.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Deviant posted:

is a 30XX going to be able to drive that many pixels? Or am I going to need a 40xx?

My 3070 runs three monitors: 3 instances of Eve Online on one at 32” 1440p, full screen web/YouTube on 32” 1080p, and Discord/jabber client on a 24” 1080p. It never hiccups or stutters, even on a 4G LTE internet connection.

All three instances on EO are max settings at 144fps foreground/2 preview windows background at 30fps. The 3070 is “mid” tier in name only…very happy with it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

With regards to monitors, what is the current hotness in 34" ultrawides? all the ones I'm seeing have mixed reviews. Looking for 3840x1440 IPS panel, i guess.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rinkles posted:

It really depends on whether you value frame rate or resolution.

and what you're playing

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, for 3440x1440 ultrawides, the current top dogs are the monitors using the recent QD-OLED panels, like the Alienware AW3423DWF. These cost north of $1000, though. If you want an IPS, there are flat ultrawides for around $400, but I'm not sure what to think of a screen that wide being flat. If you want a curved IPS, you have to pay $725 - $750 for some LG offerings (34GN850). At that point, I'd say you're better off going all the way up to the OLED monitors.

There are quite a few curved VA-based ultrawides that cost around $400, but the downside there is the dark-level smearing that comes with VA panels. Some are worse than others, and there are a few that aren't too bad about it, though there aren't any VA ultrawides that don't smear at all. I think the Dell S3422DWG is supposed to be one of the decent ones? I've also noticed there's a new variant of the Gigabyte G34WQC (with an "A" at the end), but I have no idea how it performs.

For comparisons sake, the good-quality basic 1440p display I've been recommending lately is the Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx for $250. (gotta make sure you get the exact keyboard spam right.) If you don't really want that extra width, then I'd just go with that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Dell is on sale right now too on Amazon for 367.
https://a.co/d/5F2XKXk

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So, for 3440x1440 ultrawides, the current top dogs are the monitors using the recent QD-OLED panels, like the Alienware AW3423DWF. These cost north of $1000, though. If you want an IPS, there are flat ultrawides for around $400, but I'm not sure what to think of a screen that wide being flat. If you want a curved IPS, you have to pay $725 - $750 for some LG offerings (34GN850). At that point, I'd say you're better off going all the way up to the OLED monitors.

There are quite a few curved VA-based ultrawides that cost around $400, but the downside there is the dark-level smearing that comes with VA panels. Some are worse than others, and there are a few that aren't too bad about it, though there aren't any VA ultrawides that don't smear at all. I think the Dell S3422DWG is supposed to be one of the decent ones? I've also noticed there's a new variant of the Gigabyte G34WQC (with an "A" at the end), but I have no idea how it performs.

For comparisons sake, the good-quality basic 1440p display I've been recommending lately is the Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx for $250. (gotta make sure you get the exact keyboard spam right.) If you don't really want that extra width, then I'd just go with that.

So it looks like I'm going to end up with a NZXT Player Two system for her (i'm also building over in the parts thread), and an AW3423DW for myself, and she's going to inherit my AW3418. She gets a new gaming PC, I get a shiny new monitor, and she still gets a huge display upgrade from the 24" 1080p dell panel she's using. :toot:

This dell is interesting, though. I will look into it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there a way to tell why my display and PC stopped going to sleep? They were just fine, but yesterday I saw it didn't. Not good since I just got this AW OLED a month ago.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a way to tell why my display and PC stopped going to sleep? They were just fine, but yesterday I saw it didn't. Not good since I just got this AW OLED a month ago.

Do you have a controller plugged in? A controller will prevent your computer from sleeping. Ask me how I have to re-remember this every few years when I pick up a game that needs a d-pad or analog sticks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That’s actually handy to know.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I first realised that peripherals could do that type of stupid poo poo when the camera in one of those Arkham Asylum games was constantly spinning because I had a joystick connected.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Never had any of my controllers do that, so it must differ depending on the controller.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Lockback posted:

The Dell is on sale right now too on Amazon for 367.
https://a.co/d/5F2XKXk

I know it's not exactly the deepest discount according to honey it's been under 400 for at least 120 days, but I still grabbed this.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Do you have a controller plugged in? A controller will prevent your computer from sleeping. Ask me how I have to re-remember this every few years when I pick up a game that needs a d-pad or analog sticks.

Will this hypothetical controller prevent Teams from changing to the away status?

Asking for a friend.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zarin posted:

Will this hypothetical controller prevent Teams from changing to the away status?

Asking for a friend.

Unknown.

Never had any of my controllers do that, so it must differ depending on the controller.

Dualshock 4.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 13, 2023

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wasn't using it at the time. It's the Elite and was sitting on the charger but it's always there and hasn't been an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

avoid OLED burn-in with this one weird trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEN9FTLdkI