Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
they should have made him put a kick me sign on your back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Serephina posted:

This topic is on the tail end of something that veered rather close to console wars, but I will say that the platforms serve different needs. I'm a PC gamer by default, but I also appreciate how stuff like Smash Bros and Mario Party could never have come about without a group gathered around a couch.

loving videogame centrists.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

"Not all platformers!"

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

They should have made it so if you defeat him in the initial encounter, your arm doesn't get chopped off and the game progresses as usual but you don't get the prosthetic, making for a more difficult run

drat

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

They should have made it so if you defeat him in the initial encounter, your arm doesn't get chopped off and the game progresses as usual but you don't get the prosthetic, making for a more difficult run

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Devils Affricate posted:

I could go for this, too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

satanic splash-back posted:

A game where you choose who to sacrifice for the greater good (your continued adventure) that eventually turns into a spec ops: the line type situation and berates you for playing the game.

and also everyone involved is a furry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rffeZQZ5s

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

S Tier obscure FPS list

Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

I loved this game but you have to use its full title: Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast: Dark Forces 3

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Nice Van My Man posted:

Isn't that theme in every JRPG? They need to do a reverse JRPG that's about kicking out people who suck, just to mix things up a bit. You start with a full party but it slowly gets whittled down throughout the game as you discover people's backstories and motivations and learn that they suck.

That’s Nier’s prequel Drakengard. Though that’s not so much a JRPG as a terrible terrible Dynasty Warriors knockoff with a fun story/soundtrack. Basically it’s about learning why Liu Bei is actually a piece of poo poo and every character in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, especially Liu Bei’s friends, deserves to die.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Item Getter posted:

The game Fuga: Melodies of Steel (?) is designed around this, though I haven't played it so not sure if it berates you for choosing to sacrifice people.

It doesn't berate you so much as you get a depressing scene where they die so the rest of your party can survive.

But the point of the game is to not do this. Gameplay-wise, half of it is a clock cycle turn-based rpg on rails (so, no grinding), and the other half is managing your limited time out of combat to upgrade your tank, raise the companionship between your crew, etc. Playing optimally I think involves, like, focusing skills and equipment and synergistic crew planning that minimizes your risk of status ailments so you can maximize your actions in combat, and this feeds into the other half of the game because if you take a lot of damage, your furries get injured and you have to waste turns letting them recover outside of battle. And if your HP gets low, you can use the big gun that kills one of your characters to instantly vaporize any enemy.

The game doesn't tell you you're a terrible person or anything. It's just tacitly saying you suck at it. And I am 100% on board with that

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 10, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vic posted:

"Not all platformers!"

Celeste owns

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Fur20 posted:

It doesn't berate you so much as you get a depressing scene where they die so the rest of your party can survive.

But the point of the game is to not do this. Gameplay-wise, half of it is a clock cycle turn-based rpg on rails (so, no grinding), and the other half is managing your limited time out of combat to upgrade your tank, raise the companionship between your crew, etc. Playing optimally I think involves, like, focusing skills and equipment and synergistic crew planning that minimizes your risk of status ailments so you can maximize your actions in combat, and this feeds into the other half of the game because if you take a lot of damage, your furries get injured and you have to waste turns letting them recover outside of battle. And if your HP gets low, you can use the big gun that kills one of your characters to instantly vaporize any enemy.

The game doesn't tell you you're a terrible person or anything. It's just tacitly saying you suck at it. And I am 100% on board with that

This sounds pretty rad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beartaco posted:

This sounds pretty rad.

Its, sigh, on game pass

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Sekiro is a fantastic game if you call the arm chopping cutscene the end

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Its, sigh, on game pass

Hey I'll stan for Game Pass if you won't. It's a quality product that provides a fine hand picked selection of titles, including weird obscure JRPGs like this one.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nice Van My Man posted:

Isn't that theme in every JRPG? They need to do a reverse JRPG that's about kicking out people who suck, just to mix things up a bit. You start with a full party but it slowly gets whittled down throughout the game as you discover people's backstories and motivations and learn that they suck.

I'm working on an RPG right now and one of the ideas I had in development was a game that takes place on like, a desert island or something, with 50+ characters that was like a mix of Survivor and Lord of the Flies. I think there's an absurd amount of gameplay potential there - having to choose who to exile to make sure everyone stays fed, having to deal with the repercussions of exiling them, etc. Sort of like a colony sim/JRPG mix

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Hey I'll stan for Game Pass if you won't. It's a quality product that provides a fine hand picked selection of titles, including weird obscure JRPGs like this one.

Its an incredible service. I just feel like a weirdo every time I mention it because it has such an eclectic offering Im constantly doing it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The textures in Doom 3 BFG are so washed out compared to the original Doom 3.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Beartaco posted:

You can add up to 3 years of Gold and then convert it to Gamepass Ultimate for a buck.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

Yes a technical tour de force on five generations of Sony hardware is what we call meh on these here forums.

If you appreciate games for their technical brilliance, you're a loving idiot of some sort.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doctor J Off posted:

This game did come out on ps2, which is where I played it. drat that was a good one, wonder if it holds up. HL 1 also cale out on PS2 with kind of a weird multiplayer sequel thing? I don't really remember it

Man, Giants: Citizen Kabuto was amazing. What I thought was really strange, was when Evolve came out, and I didn't see a single reviewer, anywhere, reference Giants. I think Giants having the three factions and base building meant it was in some ways actually the more complex. It's crazy. It was absolutely light years ahead of its time. I dunno if you ever managed to do a LAN with it, but we found the Sea Dryad things were kinda OP.

Still think the Millennium Bomb is one of the best named weapons from anything ever.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you appreciate games for their technical brilliance, you're a loving idiot of some sort.

lol. Hey, let me help you out; because video games run on computer hardware, technical brilliance is generally a pretty good indicator of how much skill was required to create a good game.

e: Naughty Dog is an excellent example of this, famously pushing the PS3's performance way past what anyone thought possible with the Uncharted Series and an obscure tiny little game you've probably never heard of called The Last Of Us.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 10, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A game can be an impressive feat of engineering and still be pretty boring or unfun.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Last Airbender could make for a good video game setting. The other Avatar would probably just be a terrible MMO.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

itry posted:

Last Airbender could make for a good video game setting. The other Avatar would probably just be a terrible MMO.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/890550/RUMBLE/

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I was thinking something more narrative-rich, but I guess this is a pretty good earthbending simulator.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

itry posted:

A game can be an impressive feat of engineering and still be pretty boring or unfun.

I don't agree at all. There's a sense of pride when a developer works hard on a rock solid game engine, which then inspires the the artists and musicians. You can feel the passion put into a game like that. I would play a hundred Deadcells or Hades before I ever play another remastered AAA whatever running on a lovely engine.

e: my original point was about the God of War series, including GOW3, which is an amazing technical achievement and a loving awesome game. Kratos 2018 is kind of meh and I haven't played Ragnarok.

e: besides the dragon and Baldur, I can't remember any of the other set pieces in GOW2018. That's not good.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 10, 2023

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't agree at all. There's a sense of pride when a developer works hard on a rock solid game engine, which then inspires the the artists and musicians. You can feel the passion put into a game like that. I would play a hundred Deadcells or Hades before I ever play another remastered AAA whatever running on a lovely engine.

e: my original point was about the God of War series, at least up until GOW3, which is an amazing technical achievement and a loving awesome game. Kratos 2018 is kind of meh and I haven't played Ragnarok.

Video games are a great way to have fun, and enjoy things that are availible to you in life. Not only this, but the making of a game is an art form - by playing through, say, an RPG, you are treated to a grand story that is just overwhelmingly more fufilling than going out, loving some chick, hi-fiving yourself and calling it a night.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

e: my original point was about the God of War series, including GOW3, which is an amazing technical achievement and a loving awesome game. Kratos 2018 is kind of meh and I haven't played Ragnarok.

e: besides the dragon and Baldur, I can't remember any of the other set pieces in GOW2018. That's not good.

Wow, you have no idea what you’re talking about. The AAA games have the “rock solid game engines” - it’s why they are able to push out those insane visuals. The smaller studios are the ones working with jankier, often way less efficient engines, but usually can take more risks in design/narrative/art than a AAA studio and thus end up producing experiences you probably find more interesting.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

extremely lol at the idea that the fresh-out-of-college technical artist who's been working on mud texture #1-100 in a cubicle in a giant soulless AAA megacorp is feeling a sense of pride over the technical achievements of some engine team he's never met in another state

then again I guess a lot of people are dumb enough to somehow fall for that which is why the game industry manages to get away with paying young programmers half as much as the 'boring' programming jobs

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

giogadi posted:

Wow, you have no idea what you’re talking about. The AAA games have the “rock solid game engines” - it’s why they are able to push out those insane visuals. The smaller studios are the ones working with jankier, often way less efficient engines, but usually can take more risks in design/narrative/art than a AAA studio and thus end up producing experiences you probably find more interesting.

Yes, Fallout 76, The Grand Theft Auto Trilogy Remastered, Diablo Immortal and the new Saints Row game are famous for having rock solid game engines and "insane visuals."

e: Artists create those "insane visuals", not the game engine.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 10, 2023

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Yes, Fallout 76, The Grand Theft Auto Trilogy Remastered, Diablo Immortal and the new Saints Row game are famous for having rock solid game engines and "insane visuals."

Haha it’s easy to just pick bad games and pretend you’ve made a point.

I’m saying that the big blockbuster AAA games like TLOU, God of War, etc are made on ridiculously optimized game engines to enable the graphical wizardry they display. It’s totally fair and valid to think they’re boring games, but these are the top-of-the-line game engines today. The only practical way for an indie studio to reproduce graphics like they have is to use Unreal, and even then you’ll probably need a team of comparable size just to produce enough content to fill the screen with hi res models, textures, etc.

I can’t even remember what I’m arguing about. I think my main point is: I don’t think the game engine has anything to do with what you personally enjoy about games. If you don’t care about a game having the most realistic graphics or whatever, then the engine is almost irrelevant - your enjoyment comes down to choices made in art and design, and for engineering to be just good enough to not leave a whole bunch of lovely bugs in the game

e: we agree on your edit about artists being responsible for visuals. But there are some specific kinds of “realistic” visuals that are only made possible in a highly optimized engine.

giogadi fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 10, 2023

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Oh and there’s no such thing as artists feeling a burst of pride over their game’s engine. Pride for the game’s design is a real thing though.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Pride is a sin.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

giogadi posted:

Oh and there’s no such thing as artists feeling a burst of pride over their game’s engine. Pride for the game’s design is a real thing though.

A game engine is the foundation of a game's design. It determines what is even possible in the game. They are the same thing to an artist because an artist needs to know what the limitations of the engine are.

e:there are many instances of artists getting excited over the latest technical marvel because it allows them to create better art with less limitations. Poly count is a big deal because normal maps only get you so far.

you seem to be stuck on the graphics part of a game engine, but there's a lot more happening in the background, like frustum culling, texture streaming and figuring out the most efficient batch calls to the rendering API. That's where all the heavy lifting is happening.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 10, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

giogadi posted:

Haha it’s easy to just pick bad games and pretend you’ve made a point.

I’m saying that the big blockbuster AAA games like TLOU, God of War, etc are made on ridiculously optimized game engines to enable the graphical wizardry they display. It’s totally fair and valid to think they’re boring games, but these are the top-of-the-line game engines today. The only practical way for an indie studio to reproduce graphics like they have is to use Unreal, and even then you’ll probably need a team of comparable size just to produce enough content to fill the screen with hi res models, textures, etc.

I can’t even remember what I’m arguing about. I think my main point is: I don’t think the game engine has anything to do with what you personally enjoy about games. If you don’t care about a game having the most realistic graphics or whatever, then the engine is almost irrelevant - your enjoyment comes down to choices made in art and design, and for engineering to be just good enough to not leave a whole bunch of lovely bugs in the game

e: we agree on your edit about artists being responsible for visuals. But there are some specific kinds of “realistic” visuals that are only made possible in a highly optimized engine.

What do you think "optimized" means?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

A game engine is the foundation of a game's design. It determines what is even possible in the game. They are the same thing to an artist because an artist needs to know what the limitations of the engine are.

This may have been true 20 years ago. But these days, 99% of game engines are general purpose and can produce any kind of game. So a game’s engine factors little into a game’s design, unless you’re doing something super different no other game engine has done before.

But you are correct that artists need to know their limits. But this is usually a long-term iterative process - artists typically just make poo poo and drop it into the level, and then over time you start to see performance drops and artists are asked to tone stuff down. This happens in every game and every engine; but maybe in some engines the limits are higher than others. But this is not some foundational oasis of inspiration for the artists; it’s just a routine operational constraint they gotta deal with

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Vic posted:

What do you think "optimized" means?

Lmao not falling for that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I don’t think anyone is wrong here. I think I just agree very very forcefully with whomever said “technical mastery doesn’t necessarily mean good” or whatever, and I don’t understand how someone could disagree with that. I haven’t seen anything to change that