Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Greater Tom being filled with malicious glee works well, I think. There's no sense in trying to emulate Greg's specific balance because you can't out-Greg Greg so instead being a spiteful goblin king is a fun spin on it. It also goes well with Lesser Tom being the first assistant who takes visible pleasure in the failings of the contestants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Greater Tom being filled with malicious glee works well, I think. There's no sense in trying to emulate Greg's specific balance because you can't out-Greg Greg so instead being a spiteful goblin king is a fun spin on it. It also goes well with Lesser Tom being the first assistant who takes visible pleasure in the failings of the contestants.

You know, I wasn't sold on lesser Tom because he's just so drat happy all the time. But this point turned it around for me.

Greater Tom is excellent IMO. Perfectly mean, doesn't punish them when they make jokes about the taskmaster, rewards creativity, and while he isn't Greg, it just works well with the format. And now that I think on it, lesser tom works much better with that kind of taskmaster than an Alex style wimpy, "dumb", and ultra serious one would.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I've warmed to lesser Tom quite quickly, having the assistant be a sadist really works.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Yeah I love Big Tom's malevolence, and I think part of the reason it works so well for me is that it's pretty much all directed at the contestants, with Little Tom as an accomplice to the TM instead of a foil.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Just repeat old tasks then toss them another envelope mid task and completely gently caress anyone who watched a previous season in preparation.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Just repeat old tasks then toss them another envelope mid task and completely gently caress anyone who watched a previous season in preparation.

That’s an excellent idea. OG task good enough on its own, and you also get such a great reaction to the smug “I got this one”.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
while there isn't any clear task format, categories typically are broken down by race (fastest wins), judgement (most lavish) or my quantity (most oranges in the bucket wins)

The Australia version has "lessor Tom" be somewhat like Horne in the US edition (a mean prick)

But greater Tom is very similar to his Hard Quiz persona, but I think of all the English taskmasters, he's the best at judging the tasks that involve creativity. (Agent of chaos but rewarding creative ideas) vs Greg who is better at "rulemaker" and Jeremy who is great at playing the straight man to the antics of the contestants.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

TelevisedInsanity posted:

while there isn't any clear task format, categories typically are broken down by race (fastest wins), judgement (most lavish) or my quantity (most oranges in the bucket wins)

The Australia version has "lessor Tom" be somewhat like Horne in the US edition (a mean prick)

But greater Tom is very similar to his Hard Quiz persona, but I think of all the English taskmasters, he's the best at judging the tasks that involve creativity. (Agent of chaos but rewarding creative ideas) vs Greg who is better at "rulemaker" and Jeremy who is great at playing the straight man to the antics of the contestants.

Atle was the best at judging that 'race' category.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Between the "My heart is broken" and failing to read/comprehend the instructions... I'm starting to feel bad for Nina Oyama.

I mean, it's still funny, but I'm starting to feel bad about it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lesser Tom during the rose task was fantastic and he was struggling so hard not to break.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
TM Au doing no favours for national stereotypes by setting a task that elicits "where's the barbie?" verbatim from two contestants in a row. Really great to see the contestants going so hard on the age/de-age task. While watching, I hit upon a solution none of the contestants opted for: mummifying yourself. Wrap up in bandages, find something approximating a sarcophagus to situate yourself in, 3000 years old, five point. You can even come back to life and chase Tom round in the Hammer Films style.

If I was to make a very nitpicky criticism of an inconsequential aspect of the show (and I will), the episode titles are sub-par in TM Au, and if we're going there TM NZ S3 as well. The UK series has a real knack for finding an offbeat turn of phrase, taken from a context you wouldn't anticipate. "The noise that blue makes", "Stay humble" or "The system of endless plates". I feel like this week's title, "Lucky with a sausage", is the closest they've come, yet it still doesn't scratch that itch for me.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Now that there were some competent attempts at tasks, I think the two Toms have struck the perfect balance of maliciousness and genuine praise. The fact that Bigger Tom pays attention to everyone's lore is really neat. Another stellar live task, too. Probably the strongest set of live tasks in any one series so far.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The only real problem with the AU Taskmaster is the absurd number of commercial breaks, I think NZ suffers from having four and they're cramming five into this show. The live task was an all-timer; I'd love to see it adapted for other countries with different categories.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
This week's Spelling Bee was amazing. If you liked TM NZ, get it, you'll like it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Love how Hani Hussein solved the "improve on something" task. She chose to improve how she solved a previous task which not only got her top score but also retroactively gave her top score in the task she previously messed up. The fact that it also hosed over Lars Berrum is just a bonus.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Julia Morris annoyed me back in the Full Frontal days so I didn’t have much hope of anything different in TMAU, but her complete lack of shame is kind of endearing. Her aging task effort was amazing.

Danielle is my favourite so far though. I like how she thinks.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Creature posted:

Julia Morris annoyed me back in the Full Frontal days so I didn’t have much hope of anything different in TMAU, but her complete lack of shame is kind of endearing. Her aging task effort was amazing.

Danielle is my favourite so far though. I like how she thinks.

Danielle has an insane mix of chaos energy, intelligent clever solutions, AND an inability to comprehend random tasks. She’s like every best taskmaster archetype all mixed together, and it’s incredible.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Little Alex Horne is doing a reddit AMA over at r/taskmaster on Wednesday if you have a burning desire to ask him really important questions about the show.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Very harsh but fair judging from Bigger Tom this episode. He's probably handing out more disqualifications per episode than any other Taskmaster. Speaking of which, if there's one thing that doesn't quite work for me, I feel Tom's just a tad too mean. Greg has a similar curmudgeonly persona, but at least he tends to have a contestant he picks as a trouble pupil he secretly wants to succeed. Tom, on the other hand, is just merciless so far. His delivery is also less jovial than Greg's, so especially this episode, where everyone was pretty poo poo in most tasks, it was slightly over the top. Other than that, extremely happy with the show. The team tasks work extremely well for the teams they selected.

That's Tom Gleesons entire public persona. He's well known for actually being a friendly funny dude, but on TV and in his standup he plays the cocky prick. He also hosts Hard Quiz, an Australian quiz show which is half just him hanging poo poo on contestants.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Creature posted:

Full Frontal always had a very try-hard energy to me and I think that energy pushed Julia's style into being too loud and obnoxious in those days. It feels like she's developed past that and is more natural now. Her style on the show works so much better for me than the old push the joke as hard as you can all the time energy all the FF folks had.

At least that's my take on it. All I know for sure is I was so ready to hate her in this and she won me over.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

:siren:Taskmaster Alert!:siren:
New series is coming 30th March

From the press images, we might be getting a sequel to the proposal and stag minute tasks.

Alhazred posted:

Leo Ajkic might've overtaken Jo Brand in the race of "giving the least fucks about the tasks" by delivering a black picture because he forgot the blitz in the "take a photo of yourself in another time" task.
Lars Berrum on the other hand is clearly the designated idiot.

Only just got this far, the return of the depression-gnome was a highlight for me.

And seconding Unkempt's recommendation for Mont-Spelling Bee, very funny. And it's nice to see sneak previews candidates for S4+ of TM NZ.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i watched Feel Good recently and am really excited about Mae Martin, they seem like the right combination of competitive and awkward to be a high-tier taskmaster contestant

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This sounds like the worst idea. The Taskmaster Kids part not the 6 more series' part.
https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1636006597880082433

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I can't imagine it working at all.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Alex Horne had that one show, The Button, that was similar, right?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hell if it's just hours of Greg Davies relentlessly shouting at kids count me in.

it wont be

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

3 of them looking very apprehensive, Kiell Smith-Bynoe disassociating himself from the whole thing, and Jenny Eclair giving strong "Liza Tarbuck making people sit on cakes" naughty energy in that picture, I like it.

Taskmaster Junior seems a little...like it could either be a little dull if the adult judges/assistants are too nice, or veer into cruelty if they maintain their stern persona. Dealing with small children is a very different thing to dealing with comedians, especially when the kids have no experience being filmed.

Of course, this is all leading up to what Alex Horne really wants, which is to be presenting a rebooted version of Bruce Forsyths' Generation Game.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

some of the cooking shows with kids are good? it's challenging but is probably more about setting the right tone and editing it in a way that doesn't make them the butts of every joke, which i do think taskmaster's team is capable of

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can see it being fun, kids are stupid, but they can also have some incredible ideas and weird lateral thinking you wouldn't as an adult. Could be fun, but finding a handful of kids good for the show must be a trying task. It'll also be hard to find kids with enough property for the prize tasks and ones who are good at improv banter.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I’m looking forward to see Frankie Boyles items for the prize tasks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m imagining a lot of theatre school brats, all precocious and trying to be louder than eachother.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

eke out posted:

some of the cooking shows with kids are good? it's challenging but is probably more about setting the right tone and editing it in a way that doesn't make them the butts of every joke, which i do think taskmaster's team is capable of

Yeah, it's a real art. I enjoyed the latest season of Junior Bake Off, which is the first one I've really watched. Went back to watch series one and immediately bounced off it, Prue just doesn't seem right for it. Or maybe I'm just too used to Rav being paired with Liam.

Putting my money down on what the spoiler-guarded S15 task is going to be: Choreograph and perform the most incredible wedding dance with Alex. Most incredible first dance wins.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
documentary in 30 years following up on the kids from the Taskmaster Kids incident, and the first interview with little alex horne from prison after his tragic lord of the flies task

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Junior Taskmaster doesn't seem like a good idea, unless it's maybe as a one-off special like the New Year's Treat, where it's just showcasing all those Taskmaster in the Classroom.

But school children aren't necessarily comedians, so it loses it's luster a bit. And I'm worrisome about that oversaturation of the format.

I just want to get that champion of champion of champions as the finale and then BOSH

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Trailer is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auhFu0E4Y-k

And thanks to muscles like this! for furnishing the thread with a new title for the occasion

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If you, like me, not a fan of browsing Reddit, Alex's AMA has a video version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCC8vJ6aVFw

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Is that team Mae and Jenny? I'll bet that's fun

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

If you, like me, not a fan of browsing Reddit, Alex's AMA has a video version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCC8vJ6aVFw

I found the bit about him watching the foreign versions funny, where he describes that he starts watching for work reasons and then gets addicted because he ends up taking a liking to the contestants and wants to see it through to the end. Even Alex Horne goes through the same "I have no idea who any of these people are -> this is now my favorite group of people in the world" process as everyone else when watching the show. I guess it shows how strong the format is.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

studio task on this australian episode is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Hey, Tom's dream with a robot dragonfly is a kid's book I remember reading

Edit: yup, nice dunking there