Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To be fair 90% of the time you're using it for CATAPULT GO GO GO for random encounters anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The best part about the inventor job (and presumably other special jobs) is that everyone gets immediate access to any support skills unlocked by unlocking job skills. It's definitely worth it to go out of your way to get the Inventor job and two of the unlockable skills early because you can then give your entire party a free turn to act at the start of every battle.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
the horn and the coil are also really quite good but they're also the ones that are a pain in the rear end to track down

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Does the Merchant ultimate skill just have a really low multiplier or is there something I'm missing about its damage calculation, because the damage is so sad that it's almost never worth using especially since it takes full Boost and 30 SP.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Just did chapter 4 finally for Osvald and holy poo poo. It's been a long time since the villain in a character's plotline has made me want to immediately rush to the next story beat to pummel them as much as Henry. I was preparing for that test tube that didn't break in the room before the boss to be his daughter in some horrible chimera form, but somehow it was EVEN WORSE.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Lord knows how you're supposed to get all the Inventor skills without a guide.

I did, but only because I am an "every nook and cranny" player. I steal, buy, everything from every NPC at every opportunity.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Does the Merchant ultimate skill just have a really low multiplier or is there something I'm missing about its damage calculation, because the damage is so sad that it's almost never worth using especially since it takes full Boost and 30 SP.

It really does suck. Partitio has probably the best bow in the game and even fully boosted I might get 2k out of it? It's just not worth using at all.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The game could definitely benefit from the checklist seen in the Final Fantasy pixel remasters.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Magic attack so if you want use out of it, you need a weapon with high E.Atk modifier equipped to one of his weapon slots.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I am enjoying how much non-signposted secret stuff there is. I still haven't figured out the little girl in crackridge, but the Sunshadow Staff, the place under the Great Wall, the secret door in that solo ruin near Sai - not all of the stuff is worth using but some of it is fantastic.

I wish the game did tell you what "boosts x skill" is worth mathematically. The sunshadow staff seems made for Arcanist, but I'm not sure how much of a boost it gives.

I'm about to finish up my second to last story (Agnea) then I'll finish up my main man Hikari's story. The game has really kept me glued. It just does so much right.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/setzeri/status/1634228008612446214?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finally got Osvald as my last character, I'll say again this game is the platonic ideal of the perfect JRPG. It's actually kind of nuts how good it is

Best opening chapters: osvald, ochette, temenos

I love the relationship between temenos and crick

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Magic attack so if you want use out of it, you need a weapon with high E.Atk modifier equipped to one of his weapon slots.

It's magic?! Of course it is. Guess he's grabbing a staff-using job when I want to grind money (luckily it's not really an issue unless you're going all-in on Hired Help regularly, you get a lot of income passively).

precision posted:

I love the relationship between temenos and crick

It's honestly reminiscent to me of Morrigan and Alistair in Dragon Age except uh, friendly.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That reminds me, do the merchant passive for bonus money and the amulet that does the same stack with each other?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's honestly reminiscent to me of Morrigan and Alistair in Dragon Age except uh, friendly.

Haha yeah. I think there's supposed to be a flirtatious Sherlock/Watson undertone as well

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah the characters are extremely gay and it rules

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Along with Harvey & Osw/vald, Crick is also kind of punny.

The scientists who discovered the structure of DNA are Crick and... Watson (and a few others).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SKULL.GIF posted:

Harvey & Osw/vald

I just now got this lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

THESE HANDS

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Game is incredibly good like OT1 was and this time the plots aren’t mostly mediocre with a few standout moments

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it recommended that you grab everyone early, or should I do later chapters for the four characters on my side of the map first? I kind of want to keep traveling and see all the characters' first chapters if it's viable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

Is it recommended that you grab everyone early, or should I do later chapters for the four characters on my side of the map first? I kind of want to keep traveling and see all the characters' first chapters if it's viable.

I'd recommend grabbing all the characters before you start doing Chapter 2s for a couple reasons. One reason is just flexibility, but also on the way to the second city in each region there'll be (minor gameplay stuff) a shrine that unlocks an EX skill for each character, and you need the requisite character in your party to use. Cuts down on backtracking if you just bring the person you need in the first place.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, get everyone first if you want. Your later chapters are going to end up around the recruitment spots anyways, so you'll even unlock them for fast travel.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

After about six hours of experimenting because I couldn't let it go, I got that superboss down. gently caress, what an amazing game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's magic?! Of course it is. Guess he's grabbing a staff-using job when I want to grind money (luckily it's not really an issue unless you're going all-in on Hired Help regularly, you get a lot of income passively).

It was magic in the original one too.

In general, you can get an idea of what a skill is by looking at the icon beside it. Both Ember and Bifelgan's Bounty has the icon used for magic attacks, so if you catch on to that, you can plan accordingly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
True, Ember just clicked for me because it has an element, and Bifelgan's is one of the few magic attacks that don't. I actually did use Ember early on to help hit weaknesses, but I've never used Hunter or Thief's equivalents for it (even though the latter is one of the very few ways to hit Dark weakness).

Also finished my first story (Partisio). Good story, good dude, good theme. Gonna be starting a chain of finishing up character stories now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Do we know the ages for all the main characters. Partitio being 24 is the only one I know for sure.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hikari is 21 and Agnea is 18. Along with Partitio, that's the only info we have, I believe. I'd guess Osvald is at the very least late 30s/early 40s since Partitio calls him 'Mr. Osvald' occasionally.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
A man I hired just stole 30,000 leaves from a dog :psyduck: Does (chapter 2 partitio boss spoilers) Garnet always gives you that much if you use collect on it or was it because the guy I hired had a unique skill (Mass Debt Collection)?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Castii's probably late 20's.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I love Castti so much. I'm so glad I picked her as my main.

Mega64 posted:

THESE HANDS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Castti is 29. Osvald is 39. Ochette is 20. Throne is 23.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 11, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly kind of shocked Ochette isn't the youngest

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Honestly kind of shocked Ochette isn't the youngest

Temenos (30) being older than Castti surprised me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Castti is 29 according to whatever fansite I looked at

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

Castti is 19. Osvald is 39. Ochette is 20. Throne is 23.

Where's that info from? Partitio's in-game and Agnea and Hikari are from bios.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Where's that info from? Partitio's in-game and Agnea and Hikari are from bios.

Japanese website for the game has their ages

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Castti is 29 according to whatever fansite I looked at

This is correct. 29. That was a typo.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

ImpAtom posted:

This is correct. 29. That was a typo.

Oh, I was gonna say it was hilarious that she's a year younger than Ochette and Ochette calls her Mama.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It all depended on how old Ochette was in the initial scene Which I pegged 8 to 10, and then it said 10 years later, so I assumed she was around that.

So oldest to youngest we have

Agnea 18, Ochette 20, Hikari 21, Throne 23, Partitio 24, Castti 29, Temenos 30, Osvald 39.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This skill I have on Temenos that gives a bunch of SP is very handy (Mystic Staff or something IIRC). Against many enemies it'll give like 20-40% of his total SP back.

Do steal chances (using the path action) for Throne increase as she levels up? Save scumming for stuff with a <5% chance definitely doesn't seem worth it unless the save point is really close.