Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
your mother sucks cocks in hell

and here's what an ai thinks that might look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Maybe the Internet was a bad move on our part.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Al! posted:

your mother sucks cocks in hell

and here's what an ai thinks that might look like

well I laughed at this so maybe ai is actually good now?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wow, suppose true=false, look at the things I can prove!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

porfiria posted:

Maybe the Internet was a bad move on our part.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

porfiria posted:

the Internet was a bad move on our part.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Getting all up in Pandora's box. :heysexy:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

problematic
Twitter Bots Are Promising Cheap Guns to Anyone Using the N-Word

www.rollingstone.com posted:

When Elon Musk acquired Twitter, he made it clear that eradicating spam bots was a top priority. But his strategies on that front have produced, at best, mixed results. Moreover, in recent months, some users have been plagued by a type of spam that directly violates Twitter policy: automated replies from accounts offering guns for sale.

The bots themselves — which are constantly reported and suspended, only for new bots to take their place — appear to be activated by specific keywords. Any mention of firearms may summon them, but cursing and other strong language can too. When author Jim Wright offered somewhat profane advice to Michiganders during an ice storm, for example, a bot answered, “yooo i got cheap, clean poles 4 sale, click the link in my bio.” In rap lyrics, “pole” refers to a gun; other common euphemisms in these tweets are “heaters,” “straps,” and the water gun emoji. Twitter’s guidelines explicitly prohibit “the promotion of weapons and weapon accessories globally.”

More unusually, some of these bots are only responsive to tweets that contain the n-word, indicating that they seek out potential buyers through a crude form of racial profiling. The context in which the word is used doesn’t matter (in fact, it’s often a casual comment), and the problem has gotten so pronounced on Twitter that it has turned into a meme among Black users bombarded by such messages. One person complained that they see the bots more than their own family — only to be hit by another bot reply. Elsewhere, people will jokingly reply to each other’s tweets as if they are the gun-shilling bots.

The link the bots are pushing directs to a channel on the encrypted messaging app Telegram, which hosts a bustling underground market for drugs and firearms. This particular channel has an undescriptive name — but hundreds of subscribers.
. . .
And Dr. Kathleen Carley, a professor with the Institute for Software Research at Carnegie Mellon University, has yet another plausible answer: “This looks like a coordinated attempt at provoking harm,” she says. “There may be multiple motivations: to sow dissension, to increase polarization, to encourage racial prejudice. All of these are achieved by these messages.”
. . .

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 06:05 on Mar 9, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The people who say the n word already have all the guns

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

The people who say the n word already have all the guns

Let us hope they are more danger to themselves than others.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Let us hope they are more danger to themselves than others.

They are not.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Biplane posted:

They are not.

to be fair, while a gun owner is far more likely to do a George Zimmerman than to stop a crime, statistically the most likely person to be killed by any given privately-owned gun is the gun owner (with their family members being a close second)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Crimes Georg is an outlier adn should not have been counted

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Platystemon posted:

Crimes Georg is an outlier adn should not have been counted

we might as well call him Outlier George by now!!!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

how much effort did you put into those links etc drat son

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

how much effort did you put into those links etc drat son

I wrote a computer programme. however several of those link seem to be searches for those terms on their own website.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

I wrote a computer programme. however several of those link seem to be searches for those terms on their own website.

thats dedication to the game, respect

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

thats dedication to the game, respect

if I'm going to do something as annoying as post articles I want to add some value beyond a Twitter link or CTRL+V. so my philosophy is to abbreviate the most boring poo poo while minimizing the loss of useful information - sometimes articles do have links that add context.
I posted about it but nobody cared! thanks for asking it made my day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I read that thread and dismissed it as an obvious ploy by Turkish intelligence to backdoor my computer.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

if I'm going to do something as annoying as post articles I want to add some value beyond a Twitter link or CTRL+V. so my philosophy is to abbreviate the most boring poo poo while minimizing the loss of useful information - sometimes articles do have links that add context.

the forums thread you posted isn’t visible to other users (me)/ doesn’t exist?
Edit:\/cheers\/

take_it_slow has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Mar 10, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

oh I fucjed it up https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4025173&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

can’t wait to use that…on my watch?

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Subjunctive posted:

can’t wait to use that…on my watch?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

thats really cool

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/lorcan0c/status/1633965274016653315

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenFeint

quote:

OpenFeint was founded by Jason Citron,[2] who later founded Discord. The first iteration of OpenFeint was launched on February 17, 2009.[3]
. . .
In 2011, OpenFeint was party to a class action suit with allegations including computer fraud, invasion of privacy, breach of contract, bad faith and seven other statutory violations. According to a news report "OpenFeint's business plan included accessing and disclosing personal information without authorization to mobile-device application developers, advertising networks and web-analytic vendors that market mobile applications".[8]
gently caress discord. people who use it are practicing extreme buffoonery.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lmao they are going to absolutely make honeypot bots that use a lot of the stuff discord has seen already

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Silver lining, the bots they're talking about will very likely be possible to reconstruct the training data out of like how Stable Attribution does from Stable Diffusion, and given the existence of War Thunder players, we're likely to learn a lot of really hilarious extremely top secret stuff about various tanks.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

mawarannahr posted:

oh sorry I thought it was the someguy tt fan zone to repost our favorite posts of theirs

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Discord is bad. Switching away from IRC was a big mistake.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Nothus posted:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

lol
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenFeint

gently caress discord. people who use it are practicing extreme buffoonery.

I use it to talk and play games with my friends

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nothus posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I use it to talk and play games with my friends

the only groups of friends I've known irl use WhatsApp for chats, signal if they're nerds. if you don't know them irl well are they really friends?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nothus posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Nothus posted:

hanks for your opinion grandpa

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

the only groups of friends I've known irl use WhatsApp for chats, signal if they're nerds. if you don't know them irl well are they really friends?

Yeah, I'm sure Whatsapp is much more responsible with people's data than Discord, they seem like a really upstanding company.

Now, I'm just going to take a big drink of my coffee while I look up who owns WhatsApp...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ham Equity posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Whatsapp is much more responsible with people's data than Discord, they seem like a really upstanding company.

Now, I'm just going to take a big drink of my coffee while I look up who owns WhatsApp...

computer friends should talk to each other on irc. people irl can't be helped.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1634198508512194562?s=46&t=fs2SzXItU0WOe0BNNQqcjQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

if zuckerberg wants to read my boring rear end conversations he can go ahead