Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Oh wait, you drawing someone smoking makes you feel better, not looking at a drawing of someone smoking. Erm. Sorry!

Oops, new page. Well then.

Emzedoh posted:

Bonus nonsense chapter, dumping it in one go.

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance chapter 5

Cyborg candy dispenser :o

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 07:28 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Emzedoh posted:

Huh, that's interesting. Here's a mysterious smoking child (?). He casts spells by blowing cigarette smoke at people, I bet he's a popular guy.

He's popular in my heart and soul, but also good news, both work.
lewd.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

That reminds me, I forgot to mention that ningyo-yaki are soft little cake things filled with red bean paste and made to look like the seven lucky gods.

Something like this:

You know what they say: if you meet God on the road, eat him.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
They also come in cute anime versions - Doraemon is popular:

You see Hello Kitty a lot too.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I have to say, those look a bit nicer than the picture I found.

Edit:

Boba Pearl posted:

He's popular in my heart and soul, but also good news, both work.

Oh good, I was half expecting it to do the opposite thing.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Mar 10, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

skeleton warrior posted:

Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist

Most of these TV screens would make great avatars.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

skeleton warrior posted:

Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist
Hothead Paisan reminds me a lot of certain people in the queer community I know who spend a reaaaaal lot of their time talking about how much they hate dicks. People who are ostensibly NOT terfs, are in some cases trans themselves, but are so fixated on specifically hating penises that they become really questionable. Her pattern of driving herself into a complete outrage by specifically exposing herself to media that will make her upset, becoming furious at absolutely everything in the world, gearing up to go outside and do something about it, then doing nothing and staying inside instead to repeat the pattern, is also really familiar. It's interesting to look at it with a modern eye

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: The first two arch-devils here are Bethanderian (crab-like creature) and Astarion (four winged devil). They are not part of the inner court of seven, but the outer court of thirteen. Yawmga (the meditating man) and Loabarrisleb (the many eyed one) are part of the inner court and far more powerful.

quote:

“Prince Kassardis struggled mightily to rid himself of his pursuers, for despite what the Very Wise Frog had told him, he still held within his heart the vain hope that the peaceful land of Samura existed and he would someday find himself upon its gleaming shores, free of his wives and throne.

First, he fled the road, and spying a low and reeking gully hurled himself therein. There, the mud and brambles were so thick that he could barely move, and the fetid water was choked with the corpses of animals that had become trapped in the muck. Thick clouds of flies bit at Kassardis as he struggled heroically onward, until at last he heaved himself from the mud, his trail almost completely invisible, and made for higher ground.

Indeed, when the clever and keen Vastoki came upon Kassardis’ trail disappearing into the gully, she was taken aback by his cleverness. But with her specially made eye-glasses, Vastoki’s eyesight was keener than a hawk’s. She picked out the shining pieces of thread from Kassardi’s silver waistcoat clinging to the brambles, and was back on his trail in scarcely an hour, her fellow wives close behind.”

– Tales of the Silver Prince

Alt: Anti-clockwise from top left we have Yawmga, Carnifex, Thrax, Loabarrisleb, Gloam, Izzicob, and Moab

quote:

“Seeing his three wives draw ever closer and that his first plot to foil them had failed miserably, Prince Kassardis doubled his pace. Knowing he would never outrun the cruel Vastoki on open ground, he hurled himself into a sea of dead grass, and used up all his water trying to escape her grasp. A night and a day later, he emerged on the shores of the river Dal, and spent the last of his money hiring a fisherman to take him downriver.

The fisherman’s boat overturned in the town of Kol Varas, and there Kassardis did a very shameful thing. He sold to the first rich man he could find his fine silk headwrap, and his father’s silver dagger, and his waistcoat lined with sparrow feathers, which were marks of his lineage. With his sack of foreign coin he hired six strong men, belligerent knights from the wars of conquest, and hid himself in a wheelbarrow, hoping against hope that his ploy would be enough.

Vastoki arrived in the dusty town not hours later, and she was almost immediately set upon by the mercenaries that Kassardis had hired. From his hiding place, the young prince watched as Vastoki was caught in their ambush and fought desperately against stave and sword.

Vastoki was very fast, but also very slight, and no match against the six knights in close combat. Though beaten, she merely retreated to lick her wounds and set camp outside of town. One of the knights nearly lost his head to her long rifle when he ventured out to confront her, and that was that for a while.

As night fell, the knights returned to Kassardis. “Where wandereth thee, young one?” they said in their foreign dialects.

“To the land of Samura, where I may find peace and an escape from violence,” said the exhausted Kassardis, from his hiding place.

“Violence is inescapable,” guffawed the mercenaries, and robbed Kassardis of everything remaining that he owned, for they had seen he was a fool from the start. They threw him naked and beaten into the street, and spent their winnings on drink.

Kassardis, his swollen eyes full of tears and knowing his time was short, stole a woman’s garb from a washing line and a small hunk of bread and fled into the desert, the final words of the Very Wise Frog echoing in his ears.

The belligerent knights, for their part, died not hours later when they were squashed into a pulp by Littari’s iron cauldron. ”

– Tales of the Silver Prince

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Peanut Butler posted:

I'm so glad you're posting this and it's a specifically excellent choice for this thread!

so- I don't know if ppl are familiar w/CYELATM, but it's- very much the kind of scrappy weird lil webcomic that was common ~20 years ago, with the usual evolution of style and content, but compressed on a timeframe that I find impressive by any standards
Junie Abernathy is makin good stuff, firing off better than ever the later u get- the kind of stuff on the cultural simmering level of a b. kliban or lynda barry, but in the present day, when theres more people and fewer gatekeepers and you just hope you're exposed to *something* good while you look at the leisure screen- and well, I think you are ITT in general, and in specific, if you are open to be in for a treat, you will be, with cyelatm (imho)

Well thank you very much for this! I’m glad people appreciate CYELATM. I’ve been a huge fan for years. It’s just very weird and very wholesome and occasionally surprisingly emotional. It’s so rare, especially at the time it stared, to see a piece of media about queer characters where they just get to live their goofy little lives and be happy with each other. The comic isn’t about Rosie being trans or Isabelle’s polyamory — those things are just facts about the characters.

Here’s a more recent comic I like, just so people get an idea how much the art evolves over time:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Emzedoh posted:

That reminds me, I forgot to mention that ningyo-yaki are soft little cake things filled with red bean paste and made to look like the seven lucky gods.

Something like this:

You know what they say: if you meet God on the road, eat him.

Giant Ethicist posted:

They also come in cute anime versions - Doraemon is popular:

You see Hello Kitty a lot too.

These look delicious and also very cute and I think eating them would make me feel like Chako.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I got stuck on a train for several hours with no internet today. So here, feast upon the fruits of boredom with
the pyf comics thread crossword
(also the letters in the yellow boxes, when untangled, spell the name of the most gripping & emotionally searing webcomic of our times)

ACROSS CLUES
1 the best fantasy (11,4)
9 I honestly thought this was part of a samurai’s outfit, but I got it wrong. So the clue for [9 across] is “a fake word that sounds kind of japanese-ish but probably isn’t real”
11 _ _ _ _tato
12 the practice of cutting a “comic-strip” out of the news-paper and affixing it (via adhesive) to one’s door
14 a person who doesn’t love Nedroid
15 The 4th word in the title of the comic that gave us the Bechdel Test
16 The kind of thing that would be shouted by a K6BD devil???
17 One of the saner Achewood characters
18 Ironically, due to poor planning, I could only fit the first three letters of the title of that samurai logistics comic
19 Currrent name of Yalcahbeth. Yaldabadoth. Yadacloth. Whatever
20 Cranny’s very good friend in Back
22 Sufficient to at least wound Freckles
23 Y’all reading Vattu? You should, it’s fantastic. Anyway, the name of the Empire from Vattu. Although I couldn’t fit the last letter in, sorry
24 pretty pastel-coloured watercolour comic about an all-devouring entity of pure hunger
25 the villain from Sonic? I think? idk
27 he is a good boy
30 The opposite of lo or goodbye
31 The 23rd letter of the alphabet that would have been used by the protagonist of a particular manga about a certain shiny-haired horse-riding mass-murderer
32 Hey there’s this amazing comic called Moon Over June, wanna look?
35 Accountant! Mutant! Psychopath!
38 see [29 Down]
39 The inevitable abbrev. used when writing the title of a certain neon-coloured teen gay romance comic, because the title is so long, you see
41 the greatest poster in the PYF comics thread
42 [26 Down], in the other main character’s opinion. Probably? Honestly it’s quite hard to follow.
43 a samurai obsession
44 this is how long we’re willing to wait for more Nedroid
45 lesser version of Hempuli’s magical grill comic (9,6)

DOWN CLUES
2 acronym for that annoyingly popular comic about brightly coloured ancient Greek blobs, ughh (1,1)
3 the K6BD dude
4 _ _ _ _ of Light (it is a refrance)
5 the Special Experience guy
6 Kids love it, esp. in tank form
7 the most remarkable man who has ever lived
8 I forgot the clue I had for this word. It’s a prefix if that helps? Like the opposite of “pro”??
10 memory organ
12 is this fine? (8,5)
13 Dinosaur Comics guy
19 Weirdo outsider artist types like Thorsby never have _ _-creators
21 It’s rather like oak? This is the worst clue yet, I’m so sorry
22 Cygnet’s friend (spelt backwards cos that’s the only way I could fit it)
26 Dicebox hero
27 Acronym for a terrible webcomic that has given us nothing but loss (1,1,1)
28 Coulda sworn Alison encountered this in the devil’s drinking contest. Oops.
29 Anatomy jazz! _ _ and [38 across]
31 Amamiya Sae’s webcomic
32 the other [22 down], but this one isn’t spelt backwards
33 the very nicest Achewood character
34 [33 down] again, only spelt backwards this time. I’m doing my best okay
36 K6BD’s angels have loooots of these
37 What the owner of tools does
40 Any Homestuck fans here, past or present? Who remembers Lil’_ _ _ ?

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Mar 10, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hempuli posted:

ANSU

Fingerpori

Eppu Normaali is an old & popular Finnish rock band, formed in 1976. The band's name resembles a human name, translating to "Eppu Normal" (Eppu being a nongendered first name).
I tried and tried but couldn't find a wordplay in the sign, so my assumption is that the joke's just "Eppu Normaali is an old band, therefore having their shirt proves you're at least 18 years old to buy alcohol".
In Finland you can buy mild drinks at 18 and strong ones at 21, IIRC.

Eppu Normaali, of course, being a twist on Abby Normal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hempuli posted:

I really liked Space Dread's mild "Gross." Tredlocity does character voices really well.

Fantastic!

ANSU

Fingerpori

I tried to translate the panel in a way that'd make some sense in English, hence changing "oasis" into "resort"
Kellon ympäri pyörivä keidas = an oasis that's open all day long
Pyöriä = rotate/run/operate
Kellon ympäri = all day long/around the clock
Keidas = oasis, an old cliche term for advertising luxury resorts, shopping centers etc.
Kellon ympäri pyörivä keidas = an oasis that rotates around a clock

"Open around the clock" was right there... it's idiomatic in English as well.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tree Bucket posted:

I got stuck on a train for several hours with no internet today. So here, feast upon the fruits of boredom with
the pyf comics thread crossword
(also the letters in the yellow boxes, when untangled, spell the name of the most gripping & emotionally searing webcomic of our times)

I think you've crossed a wire in the numbering somewhere, I can't match up anything past 27 across or 31 down.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hmm, the edited post with the fixed version of the grid should work. Hopefully

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ohh, you edited the grid, not the hints. Ok, I can work with this

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tree Bucket posted:

You have too many yellow boxes to just spell “Chako”

Edit: Dang I just saw you said webcomic! Leave my shame here.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Black Stones posted:

You have too many yellow boxes to just spell “Chako”

CHAKO CHAKO CHAKO CHAKO

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean there is one obviously correct answer for the solution, and it is in fact also the solution.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

At first I was going to say you can't spell Gamer Dilbert with these letters but then I realised.

Fun crossword!

The answer to 41 across is definitely incorrect though

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Becky Bishop and the Case of the Whistleblowers

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I like the teen sleuth comic. Hopefully there's some more.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Have solved almost all of the crossword, but cannot for the life of me figure out what 25 across is supposed to be. I've got the last letter for it but can't think of anything that would make sense there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CzarChasm posted:

I like the teen sleuth comic. Hopefully there's some more.

This story's the only one for now. The author expressed interest in doing more with the characters someday but that hasn't gone anywhere yet.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

KennyMan666 posted:

Have solved almost all of the crossword, but cannot for the life of me figure out what 25 across is supposed to be. I've got the last letter for it but can't think of anything that would make sense there.

IIRC, Dr. Robotnik's first name is IVO HTH

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

If it's that, then I got 26 down wrong. Is 26 down not supposed to be GRIFFEN?

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Mar 10, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

In that case it might just be EGG, I never solved 26 down

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

OH I GOT IT

Yeah I figured that it could be ^ while shaving so

Presenting the completed thing, spoilers obvs

Figured out the yellow letter solution too but not gonna mention it even in spoilers.

Yes I like crosswords.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I appreciate that you took the solution to anatomy jazz to be Jo and Oo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I appreciate that you took the solution to anatomy jazz to be Jo and Oo.

lol that's what I thought too, but the second Jo is just written very close to the space number

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

"Man... today was WEIRD" is one of my favorite panels.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Straights shoots his eye beams at Joseph Joseph Joseph again! Joseph Cubed blocks one of the beams with a heroin-charged shot glass, directing it back right through Straights' head!

This update: Cheeks!

Read right to left:

Chapter 52 - Joseph Cooks Cheese

hahaha oh no, THE COLUMNIST!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
enmity ended with the Straights

soon i'll meet him, the Columnist

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Lol is The Columnist what he calls the pillar men? That's a great translation

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ophiuchus
`

And a two-parter from Kathleen Gros:
Lemon-Eating Boss

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

fritz posted:

And a two-parter from Kathleen Gros:
Lemon-Eating Boss

Well that was a visceral reliving of my 20s, thanks, I hate it

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
haha oh man, I can't wait to see what happens but I'm gonna be sad when HIAGB is done

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Machiko: No gay vibes at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

This is the 2nd time I've read up to this point on Dicebox and I still can't make heads or tails of it. I think I might just be stupid or something