Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

go play outside Skyler posted:

it's me, i'm the guy commuting 2.5 hours one-way almost twice a week

but this is switzerland. i can sleep or work in that motherfucking train.

my boss knows if they ask more of me i'll just quit lol.

hey at least ur trains are always on time :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Mr. Crow posted:

Man i did a hour commute for three or six months before deciding never again, what a waste of your life. I won't take a job i cant reasonably get a 15 minute commute or less or be fully remote. Lifes to short to sit in traffic

I had a long commute for a while where it was 90 minutes if i did it at normal hours or 45 minutes if i did it at 4am & 2pm and my kids were reliably waking me up at 3am anyway so I just did that and honestly it was kind of nice when the roads are open and empty and you can just cruise down.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i used to have that road hypnosis thing happen only when commuting. so i would have to drive with the windows open and music blasting just to make sure i didn't crash my car. very glad to not have any commute currently and will not work anywhere i can't get to by public transportation.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ultrafilter posted:

Amtrak is fantastic between NYC and DC, OK between Boston and NYC, and the scenic route everywhere else.

i did the accela from boston <-> nyc a few times, and when it wasn't delayed that was like 3.5 hours. thats probably doable but like hobbesmaster said not to ohio

flying was better though. back then a flight was like $50 one-way on jetblue, which was cheaper than amtrak, it was less than an hour and i live by 3 international airports. it was pretty painless all things considered

...but that poo poo's like $150 today, airline passengers are notoriously shitheaded and i bet the checkpoints take a really long time too

gently caress that lol there's gotta be a job around here somewhere

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

ah but what if there was a train

for example say (checks Amtrak) you get up in Cleveland for a 5:50am train that gets into nyc at 6:42 pm

that can’t be right

ok let’s say you take the capitol limited to dc and catch an accela. you leave Cleveland at 1:54 am, arrive in dc at 1:05 pm then pick up the 1:50 pm accela to arrive in nyc at 4:38pm

never mind

amtrak's cleveland service (and by extension anything they do from chicago <-> northeast) is so pathetic.

they don't even drop you off in the big art deco train station where a lot of clevelands transit options are centered. you get dumped in a glorified bus shelter next to the lake in the middle of the night

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

gently caress that lol there's gotta be a job around here somewhere

you'd think finding a job in the biggest city in the country would be easier :smithicide:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theflyingexecutive posted:

you'd think finding a job in the biggest city in the country would be easier :smithicide:

i'd say it helps knowing i'm not alone but it really doesn't lol :smithicide:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

update: just applied for a hospital pm job that had a "scheduling skills assessment" with questions like "if the project is 12 days behind schedule and the one remaining work package will take 7 days, what day will the project be done?"

also had the biggest salary for some reason

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

update: just applied for a hospital pm job that had a "scheduling skills assessment" with questions like "if the project is 12 days behind schedule and the one remaining work package will take 7 days, what day will the project be done?"

i had to do something like that too for uhh hopefully a different healthcare thing lol, it felt like taking the loving SATs again

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Tomorrow. Or else

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

amtrak's cleveland service (and by extension anything they do from chicago <-> northeast) is so pathetic.

they don't even drop you off in the big art deco train station where a lot of clevelands transit options are centered. you get dumped in a glorified bus shelter next to the lake in the middle of the night

I remember waking up at 3 am during an Albany-to-Chicago trip and very quietly chuckling because out the window was the Browns' stadium

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

go play outside Skyler posted:

it's me, i'm the guy commuting 2.5 hours one-way almost twice a week

but this is switzerland. i can sleep or work in that motherfucking train.

my boss knows if they ask more of me i'll just quit lol.

your boss is already asking a loving lot of you imo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

i had to do something like that too for uhh hopefully a different healthcare thing lol, it felt like taking the loving SATs again

jfc we're applying for the same jobs :bighow:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

jfc we're applying for the same jobs :bighow:

lol you're probably safe

for me it was a bit of a stretch anyway, i don't have any experience with that kind of thing and apparently bombed the test. i got "proficient" which is one step above "completed" lmao

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
the sales rep/acct manager for a vendor we used at my former NYC company was commuting in from the Cleveland area.

i think he was flying in.

he was really chipper about it when I first met him, then 6 months later I saw him and was like, "How's the commuting going?" and he was like, "Not great :smith:"

I think he left shortly after that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
woohoo i have two interviews monday (to be clear not the position theflyingexec was talking about though lol)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
right? if you're doing it cold its a numbers and marketing game. if youre doing it warm its not but you're not

do not stop prospecting until you have signed a job offer.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah this is good advice especially with the long rear end interview process most of us are go through.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I'm likely going to continue until my start date - those early layoff waves had folks getting signed offers pulled (even with confirmed start dates) etc.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

right? if you're doing it cold its a numbers and marketing game. if youre doing it warm its not but you're not

it could technically be three, i also got screened for a commission-based wall street thing that feels like a scam, but i don't know anything about that kind of position and have literally zero experience doing that kind of thing so i didn't respond yet

but when i saw it i thought "hmm maybe bdid does". it doesn't really seem like something i wanna do though and obviously commission isnt guaranteed

any advice? just let it go?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
100% commission based in wall street is a scam. but its prolly not a scam directed at you, just at little old ladies or whatever. that said scammers gonna scam so opportunistic scamming on you will prolly happen

pm me firm name if you want a once over. if you dont wanna pm me just assume scam

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
boy thats some jordan belfort lookin boiler room poo poo you sent me

youre prolly not a big enough gigantic rear end in a top hat for that job beef

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
again i appreciate the sanity check, and yeah, gently caress those guys

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

and even then keep low key prospecting just to keep your finger on the pulse

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i think i impressed the hiring manager at this one; i'm not sure how since i'm an idiot. they told me directly during the interview that they would like me to schedule me for the team technical the following day and that they want to hire for this position before end of month.

only one problem: it's 30 minutes after my technical with another company :shepface:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Just tell them that. Put the pressure on em

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If they're thirsty make them parched

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

PokeJoe posted:

Just tell them that. Put the pressure on em

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

got an offer, it's disappointingly low. 25% less than what i was asking for and they're only giving me 24 hours to consider

i think i can stretch that out for a few days with negotiations as i wait on other offers. this is generally a pretty nice place though, the offer and time limit aside

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

At minimum ask for 10% over what you'd say yes to

If not for yourself, then for the next poor schmuck who needs to slap this company into line

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the one thing nice about the offer is the 8% 401k match after the first 90 days. i expected that with them being a credit union, but dang.. pay is dire for wanting me work on-site for the first year

and yeah! the plan is to ask for more at the end of business day and see how they react

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

the 24-hour response window would be enough to make me reject it regardless of salary

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One of these days, I would like to reply, "haha no", without even trying to negotiate

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i think the closest to "haha, no" i've ever actually gotten was "thanks for taking the time to chat, but our expectations are just way too far out of alignment for this to work"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, the closest I got was trying to pull the offer higher and getting "Our offer is fair to our current workers" or something in reply, to which I replied, "Well it wouldn't be fair to me, so no thank you."

The offer was, adjusted for inflation, between what I made fresh out of college and what I made one year out of college.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Worst I got was, and I quote, "You must be smoking crack"

I got an offer above that level a few months later though

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

the 24-hour response window would be enough to make me reject it regardless of salary

while this was my kneejerk reaction, i'm really looking to get out of here. it's a toxic workplace and mentally heinous for me

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

CPColin posted:

One of these days, I would like to reply, "haha no", without even trying to negotiate

If it makes you feel any better, it is not satisfying and usually represents time you would’ve better spent doing something else up to that point.

dioxazine posted:

the one thing nice about the offer is the 8% 401k match after the first 90 days. i expected that with them being a credit union, but dang.. pay is dire for wanting me work on-site for the first year

and yeah! the plan is to ask for more at the end of business day and see how they react

Sounds like typical credit union stuff to me. IME they’re behind the times and the kind of folks they’re getting in the door wouldn’t blink at this crap unfortunately

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm not gonna let a little thing like lack of satisfaction get in the way of my righteous indignation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

nudgenudgetilt posted:

:yossame: it's quite the red flag