Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You know who was responsible for something like what, seven million German deaths and the loss of huge chunks of German territory? That's right. They should be mad at that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vee are all trying to find die guy who did zis!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh. :shrug: I doubt anyone knows

No I mean they know for sure. I would imagine that with the amounts of missiles spent they could have destroyed ten downtown blocks of each of those five towns and captured them faster than they have been able so far. But for some reason they prefer to shoot at energy infra.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

No I mean they know for sure. I would imagine that with the amounts of missiles spent they could have destroyed ten downtown blocks of each of those five towns and captured them faster than they have been able so far. But for some reason they prefer to shoot at energy infra.

Did you not read anything? Targeting civilian infrastructure is next to useless. The most useful thing to do with those missiles is target high value military targets and wipe them off them map like Ukraine is doing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

but the Dresden bombing was the worst war crime of WW2

uhhhhhhhhh

what

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

McNally posted:

uhhhhhhhhh

what

Theyre talking about what nazis think

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There's a bunch of German Neonazis that are currently spinning like a cat with a buttered-toast strapped to its back at your post.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Theyre talking about what nazis think

Ah.

Time to go to bed lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

McNally posted:

Ah.

Time to go to bed lol

Jah, schlaf schön, Bussibär <3 ( ˘ ³˘)♥

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

lightpole posted:

Did you not read anything? Targeting civilian infrastructure is next to useless. The most useful thing to do with those missiles is target high value military targets and wipe them off them map like Ukraine is doing.

Even more to the point, a block of demolished civilian buildings is actually a really good defensive position, better than the intact buildings in fact. Everything you do is camouflaged by being part of a big pile of rubble, but you can set up observation posts, machine gun nests, and firing positions with literally tons of concrete protecting them for almost free. If you have a little time and some resources those posts can have secure, covered communications approaches, hardwired comms, and reinforced spaces to keep a strong infantry force safe under hellacious fire.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

mllaneza posted:

Even more to the point, a block of demolished civilian buildings is actually a really good defensive position, better than the intact buildings in fact. Everything you do is camouflaged by being part of a big pile of rubble, but you can set up observation posts, machine gun nests, and firing positions with literally tons of concrete protecting them for almost free. If you have a little time and some resources those posts can have secure, covered communications approaches, hardwired comms, and reinforced spaces to keep a strong infantry force safe under hellacious fire.

I'm going to steal this observation for the book I'm writing, thanks.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

It would be an even bigger and dumber waste to shoot the limited number of long range missiles at stuff that is within range of their towed artillery.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

200 cruise and short range ballistic missiles still really isn't a lot of combined damage. The one that hit the train station in Krematorsk did minimal structural damage and only killed as many people as it did because they unfortunately were densely concentrated.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

mllaneza posted:

See Caen, supposed to be taken on D-Day +1 if I remember correctly. Took them months to clear it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I once read a book on Japan in WW2 that claimed that they weren't going to capitulate after the atomic bomb attacks, on the basis that the previous firebombings had actually destroyed much more and killed more people, and it took the emperor finally piping up and telling them to surrender.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

psydude posted:

200 cruise and short range ballistic missiles still really isn't a lot of combined damage. The one that hit the train station in Krematorsk did minimal structural damage and only killed as many people as it did because they unfortunately were densely concentrated.

It was a cluster munition as well - so was anti-personnel.

They knew what they were doing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

I once read a book on Japan in WW2 that claimed that they weren't going to capitulate after the atomic bomb attacks, on the basis that the previous firebombings had actually destroyed much more and killed more people, and it took the emperor finally piping up and telling them to surrender.

The Japanese ruling class was fully prepared to march columns of five year old children armed with sharp sticks and grenades against prepared allied positions. They had so poisoned themselves with fake bushido that it took a command from their god emperor to not commit national suicide. Even then some of them attempted to stage a coup to prevent the surrender order from going out.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Bakh-mooed

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

mllaneza posted:

What to do?

A. Conserve my missiles for high value military targets and then hit them. No I can't.

B. Use my missiles to support frontal assaults of my priority front line goals. No my mobik wagners do not deserve support.

C. Hit energy infra in deep behind the lines to further terrorize the civilian population. Hell Yeah!

Also, I could definitely take 200 cruise and short range ballistic missiles to my defensive positions and die, no biggie.

twitter.com/Seveerity/status/1633783972202201089?s=20

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 10, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It ain't real graphic but you can make out dudes dragging a body out of the rubble in the vid, might wanna spoiler and warn others for it.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://twitter.com/PMSimferopol/status/1634111915596173312

I hope the Georgians tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Jesus that's basically one breath away from full mask-off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tomn posted:

Jesus that's basically one breath away from full mask-off.
Why do they hate peace so much, to resist our commands?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Country with 2 Russia-carved separatist tumors shouldn't really be surprised that the Russian government is doing everything it can to stack the deck for a Russia-minded government that down the line OK's joining the Russian federation as a subject.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Burt posted:

See Caen, supposed to be taken on D-Day +1 if I remember correctly. Took them months to clear it.

Also Monte Cassino.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vahakyla posted:

Kris was a chopper pilot and a captain. He's dunked on Toby Keith's "military"-poo poo before, too.

Toby Keith is the posterchild for cosplaytriots. I don't remember who exposed me to that term, but thank you so much.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Holy poo poo that's vile.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

With what army though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I was in Georgia when the Russians blew up the only gas pipeline in the mid 00's. It was February I think and loving cold.

We should probably give Georgia a poo poo load of Stingers and Javelins too

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

I was in Georgia when the Russians blew up the only gas pipeline in the mid 00's. It was February I think and loving cold.

We should probably give Georgia a poo poo load of Stingers and Javelins too

We definitely should. Georgia is next in the laundry list, right after Ukraine and Moldova. And since Ukraine they are going to lose and Moldova won't happen without Ukraine, that's probably where the tsar will try some endgame next.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Infidelicious posted:

With what army though.

I was thinking the same thing. Russia can barely "manage" the current invasion, no way they can pull off a second one at the same time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

They CAN indiscriminately lob munitions over the border though. Won't achieve much except ruining peoples lives, but whens that stopped them?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

With what army though.

Steven seagal is still in reserve

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Steven seagal is still in reserve

Edward Snowden's a seasoned veteran as well.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ASAPI posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Russia can barely "manage" the current invasion, no way they can pull off a second one at the same time.

Here are my two cents on this:

The problem with Russia is that they will not run out of manpower. They also most likely won't run out of 50's and 60's gear they were unable to sell away when the USSR collapsed, so if they manage to lose Ukrainian war without any immediate collapse, they can almost immediately start to prepare for another war somewhere where they aren't bordering EU countries. Tsar would badly need a win, so they pick something more or less landlocked in the Inner Asia. Georgia and the smaller *stans in the Inner Asia are poor, and low population compared to Ukraine. Their main benefactor who is not Russia would also be China, who while being very pissed of that Russia is messing up with their road and belt-investments, would not get openly involved on Russia reclaiming its imagined "Sphere of influence" as it would be directly against their rhetoric about killing the autonomy in Hong Kong, and in general, Taiwan.

Its going to be North Korea-style army that does the next invasion, but unlike North Korea the Putin's Russia isn't contained to the same degree by being bordered everywhere by richer and/or larger neighbors.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He's gonna anschluss Belarus first.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If we have to let Russia have something then they can have that shithole.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Luka will continue tap dancing somehow and keep it juuuust over the horizon.

Until their partisans slow blowing up rails again.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Der Kyhe posted:

Its going to be North Korea-style army that does the next invasion, but unlike North Korea the Putin's Russia isn't contained to the same degree by being bordered everywhere by richer and/or larger neighbors.

I'd honestly expect North Korea to have a better trained, equiped and motivated army these days.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

GD_American posted:

I can think of one instance, but that was technically two bombings 3 days apart.

There's an argument to be made that particular instance of terror bombing didn't necessarily work either:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/05/30/the-bomb-didnt-beat-japan-stalin-did/

All indications point to Japan already being in negotiations to surrender to the ussr prior to the bombs. Having already broken their codes, it seems that the US was likely already aware of this fact, and there's speculation that the atomic bombs were used more to dictate terms than forcing an unconditional surrender:

https://www.thenation.com/article/world/why-the-us-really-bombed-hiroshima/tnamp/

And all that is heavily caveated by the fact I don't personally know for certain one way or the other, and we may never know for certain. The only thing I've learned over time is that poo poo is way more complicated than the jingoistic narrative I was fed in school, and these are interesting data points which seem to have been entirely disregarded in our curriculum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Japanese military still wanted to do a coup and keep fighting after the first bomb was dropped so I dunno.

Edit: Errrrr after both bombs had been dropped actually.