Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anyways, this episode had cooler elements but I think sucked harder than last week, all in all two wee
Ak episodes to start for Mando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah they were both pretty bad, too bogged down by plot and Mandalore nonsense. This show seriously needs to tone down the lame serialization and amp up the self-contained weekly adventure stuff.

The only good stuff about these episodes was the moments that it felt like we were getting dumb-fun live action Legends content.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm dreading to find out exactly how much recanonized Karen Traviss content we're going to see by the other end of this.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Madurai posted:

I'm dreading to find out exactly how much recanonized Karen Traviss content we're going to see by the other end of this.

Wasn't the technical side of her stuff mostly fine and it was more her using the world as her mouthpiece that was the issue?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Madurai posted:

Unless they go to Keldabe I think you'll be fine.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I prefer Mandalorian over Andor but I can see why people would prefer the opposite. Andor is a good show using Star Wars as a setting but Mando is pure Star Wars to me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd probably agree if they ever got out of the volume. After Andor Mando just feels more fake

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Both shows are so different that they don't really affect my view of each other. Andor successfully achieves a very high degree of verisimilitude for the franchise and effectively creates a sense of real places. Whereas Mandalorian has gone hard on silly puppets, stop motion vfx, and backdrops. The fact that the volume is just used in place of what would traditionally be a matte painting doesn't bother me, especially since they do a good job of building up actual practical sets within the volume's space. It definitely feels constructed but in a more intentional way and there's still a fairly good tactile sense to things.

Andor does make shows like Obi-wan feel (more) like poo poo since that's also trying to go for a real-world feel but uses the volume in the laziest of ways. So much of that series is clearly shot in a vacuum with a few very lazy props and everything else is digital.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bugblatter posted:

Both shows are so different that they don't really affect my view of each other.

It's like finding out Columbo and the Dukes of Hazard are part of the same cinematic universe and saying you can no longer watch Columbo because he never jumps his car over a river.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ShowTime posted:

I don’t know if it’s canon or not for Star Wars, but it makes me think of that character that had smaller lightsaber in his knees and elbows and poo poo. I think Vader fought him in the comics or manga or whatever.

Lord Nyax was from one of the New Jedi Order novels.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Bugblatter posted:

Both shows are so different that they don't really affect my view of each other.
Same.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
These first two episodes are like a term paper where you’ve got 1200 words of good points, but the minimum word count is 2000.

Edit: I bet dinner parties at Phil Tippett’s house are really weird.

mweber fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 10, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I've been thinking about the two and what I think there's two big problems:
First the volume. Their use of the volume isn't any worse than other seasons, it's just that Obi was so bad that it basically was a magician pulling back all the curtains so now you can't see the illusion when it's executed properly. Obi explained the trick and then Andor asked "but what if we actually DID saw the assistant in half?" and now you can't help but notice when you probably didn't S1.
Second the plot isn't making much sense yet. I don't know why he needs a droid at all: When R5 gets attacked he just gets out of his ship to go to the surface anyways, so.... I already commented last week about that episode's plot. Take the W, pirates! I'm down for space westerns and big silly monsters of the week. I'm less down for the them to knock over the facades at Blazing Saddles and then try and play an atonement pilgrimage straight.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

I've been thinking about the two and what I think there's two big problems:
First the volume. Their use of the volume isn't any worse than other seasons, it's just that Obi was so bad that it basically was a magician pulling back all the curtains so now you can't see the illusion when it's executed properly. Obi explained the trick and then Andor asked "but what if we actually DID saw the assistant in half?" and now you can't help but notice when you probably didn't S1.
Second the plot isn't making much sense yet. I don't know why he needs a droid at all: When R5 gets attacked he just gets out of his ship to go to the surface anyways, so.... I already commented last week about that episode's plot. Take the W, pirates! I'm down for space westerns and big silly monsters of the week. I'm less down for the them to knock over the facades at Blazing Saddles and then try and play an atonement pilgrimage straight.

You can tell a lot of what was done in the first two episodes was done for the sake of plot. The droid was needed so Grogu could get back to Bo for help. Now Bo and Din are together and can start building that connection they worked on a bit at the end of episode 2. In episode 1, they start rebuilding IG-11 so he can show up in a later episode, because he can't even fit in Dins ship. They just need him later, so Din has to go get a chip, which gets him the R5, which leads us to where we are now. It's so much thats clearly done just to carry a story, with really no need for any of it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The droid took atmospheric readings of the city below. Readings that we saw it project on screen. He needed a droid for that because this isn't Star Trek and they don't have tricorders.

Just because Din can walk five feet making conspicuous breathing noises after "sealing his helmet" doesn't mean he can explore nearly infinite ruins and take a ritual bath in that condition.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Has anyone noticed that Bo-Katan's Gauntlet works the same way as Mara Jade's Shrike?

I've posted about this in the early FPS thread before. I grew up with Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade being my Star Wars heroes, with the video games being my formative Star Wars experience. But I've come to peace with the fact that that version of Star Wars has concluded. I'm okay, and even pleased, to see winks and nods to my old favourite characters showing up in new characters that I like. (Kanan Jarrus mostly being a Kyle Katarn surrogate, Kyle's Bryar pistol showing up as Cassian Andor's sidearm of choice, etc.)

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My guess is "always wearing the armor is a good way to allow her to not have to spend months getting in 'movie shape' for a streaming show."

Probably the same for Pedro in that respect.

Looked like Pedro was sporting a dad gut under his front plate on one angle when he was getting out of his ship.

This week's episode was genius in its craft of having Pedro Pascal dad-splain everything to baby yoda. The show is just so good at capturing every demographic. I'm good to have a more character development focused episode to break up the adventure of the week.

It was also a good episode to air on International Women's Day, having Bo-Katan being a bad rear end saving Din's dumb rear end.

Bugblatter posted:

It feels like I'm reading people argue if SNES or Genesis is better, when I'm a spoiled kid who just has both.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eiba posted:

The droid took atmospheric readings of the city below. Readings that we saw it project on screen. He needed a droid for that because this isn't Star Trek and they don't have tricorders.

Just because Din can walk five feet making conspicuous breathing noises after "sealing his helmet" doesn't mean he can explore nearly infinite ruins and take a ritual bath in that condition.

Yeah we saw the readings but as we saw last season and within thirty seconds Mando doesn't need to breath air. He can pressurize himself to, goeto check on R5, and last season do a space walk when he is talking with the Armorer and fighting a challange.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah we saw the readings but as we saw last season and within thirty seconds Mando doesn't need to breath air. He can pressurize himself to, goeto check on R5, and last season do a space walk when he is talking with the Armorer and fighting a challange.

Glavis Ringworld had atmosphere, gravity, and no handrails around drops into open space

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well his air supply might not last long enough to explore and find the living waters. Not like his armor has a visible air tank on it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I mean, what was the deal if the air *was* poisoned? Because I didn't see any Plan B going on here.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Parkingtigers posted:

I mean, what was the deal if the air *was* poisoned? Because I didn't see any Plan B going on here.

Leave, because that would mean he was wrong?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Wow this Bad Batch episode is fire. The blade runner score comes in huge again, just makes the entire thing pop. Seeing the kind of characterization we get out of the clones this episode makes their inclusion in the prequels so worth it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's like finding out Columbo and the Dukes of Hazard are part of the same cinematic universe and saying you can no longer watch Columbo because he never jumps his car over a river.

I had to Google this to make sure.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well his air supply might not last long enough to explore and find the living waters. Not like his armor has a visible air tank on it.

Yea but it's enough to test the air quality. If it's bad, leave. If it's good, stay. Can the ship not test air quality? Or any handheld, portable device?

It was unnecessary.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I mean, Columbo would probably be better if he did, yes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Wow this Bad Batch episode is fire. The blade runner score comes in huge again, just makes the entire thing pop. Seeing the kind of characterization we get out of the clones this episode makes their inclusion in the prequels so worth it.

The warm glow of the animation style over the edifices of Coruscant can also give pretty good Blade Runner vibes now that you mention it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Now that Mando has given us a taste for it, I think we deserve an entire Star Wars series on this planet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPScwQ-FAbI

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I had to Google this to make sure.

According to the internet, Columbo is in the Tommy Westphall universe but Dukes of Hazzard is not. Knight Rider, on the other hand, is. So close enough.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

There was a specific bit of particle animation where they put their gun lamp to the snow and you see the individual snowflakes or something (maybe in the mine scene) that was like wow, the graphical quality on this show is so far beyond where clone wars started.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jerkface posted:

There was a specific bit of particle animation where they put their gun lamp to the snow and you see the individual snowflakes or something (maybe in the mine scene) that was like wow, the graphical quality on this show is so far beyond where clone wars started.

This is true but I still think the characters look a bit plasticy in certain lighting conditions.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

Yeah the score was amazing. Really grabbed me hard. All the Crosshair episodes of this show have been great. The old KoTR games and Clone Wars are what drew me in to Star Wars so anytime they do Clone epilogues I am all in. That Lt was a total tool and I’m glad he got fragged. Here’s hoping Crosshair rejoins his bros as I think even my dumb rear end would get that the Empire blows hard.

I liked seeing Mandalore as a post apocalyptic wasteland and hope we get more Din adventures there. Also liked seeing snarky jaded Bo Katan eyes go wide seeing the very legend she’d been dismissing a few moments before. Not a flawless episode but I still enjoyed it. Good week for the Star Wars.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So the Mando skull belongs to a kaiju?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ruddiger posted:

So the Mando skull belongs to a kaiju?

Yep, the Mythosaur. It's not really a spoiler. Kuill mentioned them by named all the way back in Chapter 1 and they've been part of Mandalorian lore since the old EU.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

With a name like Mythosaur I just assumed that George Lucas named it.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

You'd think if Lucas named it, it would be called the Realosaur.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dinosaurosaur.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Glimpse posted:

You'd think if Lucas named it, it would be called the Realosaur.

More like Sandisroughasaur

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I still like mando but this season so far feels a little underwhelming. The whole quest to redeem himself is just kinda feeling flat. Hoping the story can ramp up some stakes and I assume it will but for now this is barely getting above a simmer.

It still looks pretty though.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Honestly I figured the quest to cleanse himself was going to take all season. I have no idea where it’s going. Only thought maybe is that seeing a mythosaur leads them to saying Mandalore is cool and good and alive as a culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nash posted:

I have no idea where it’s going.

Bo and Din banging on the back of a mythosaur while doing a Mandalore world tour