Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

DeathSandwich posted:

Kind of want to start a new gimmick run, thinking whips and knives, go full Castlevania with two categories of weapons that are kind of not great.

This sounds awesome and I want to give it a try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I beat Twin Gargoyles easy by respeccing into the watchdog staff and spamming the weapon art. Didnt even get hit.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I did it by abandoning my beloved bloodhound fang and using moonveil instead, and also boosting mimic to +7 which I think is the highest you can go pre-mountaintop?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Decon posted:

I'd suggest Lhutel over Mimic Tear just because I found her more mechanically fun than "me but dumber and with more health".

Also if you're gonna rely on a spirit, she's pretty tanky and has a tendency to (accidentally) dodge some attacks.

Lhutel's a very good summon and you can't go wrong with her, BUT if you're leaning heavily on your summon I'd recommend sticking with the Mimic and using the Shabriri's Woe talisman. Put the talisman on, summon the Mimic, then take the talisman off. Voila, boss focuses almost entirely on the Mimic and you're free to swing away.

Note: Bosses will still go after you probably like 15-25% of the time if you get into the mix, so you still have to be a bit careful.

Edit: This is the strategy I used for the endgame boss rush as well as Malenia, who I took out pretty handily in ~10 tries

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 10, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Demons Remake was great. The only thing that annoyed me slightly was the camera which was very different compared to Souls games even if you switched it to supposedly classic mode.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I just cheesed the Godskin Duo after very many tries on a pure faith build. My usual DoT with destined death and blackflame did not work on their massive segmented health bar. Maxed out pure fire damage wasn't powerful enough. So I used Fire's Deadly Sin in conjunction with bloodflame blade cuz gently caress em.

Edit:. Lhutel's an okay summon. She's great at staying alive, but it's only because she's constantly dropping enemy aggro when she teleports. Dung Eater, however, he's a great summon. Or the Lyndell Knight since he'll keep his greatshield up enough.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 10, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've mixed feelings about the Haligtree.

On one hand getting there is a bit of trek and it's full of some pretty hard, even unfair, enemies and set pieces but on the other hand it's one of the coolest areas in the game visually and has so much fun environmental and enemy variety and I like that you start near the very top and slog your way down to the depths.

It's pretty weird that something that so much work obviously went into is basically a secret level that you really need to to out of your way not to miss entirely.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's pretty weird that something that so much work obviously went into is basically a secret level that you really need to to out of your way not to miss entirely.

I loving love that, its one of the things I really respect about From's design approach, its basically the last company I can think of that embraces the concept of the secret level, and does so so hard that it spirits away some of the most extreme and important content in some out of the way part of the map with a convoluted way to get there.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's something of a Fromsoft tradition, really. When Dark Souls 1 DLC came out they didn't tell everyone how to get in, you had to find that poo poo.

For a refresher: first step was killing a golden crystal golem behind a lake containing a hydra, unlocking an NPC shopkeeper. Then you had to visit the Duke's Archives to kill a blue crystal golem that dropped a key item. Once you had that item you had to return to where you unlocked the NPC to find the portal to the DLC.

This was all to reach content that you paid for separately!

Dark Souls 2 and 3 were much more straightforward about DLC access, in comparison.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love that sort of thing and it's far too rare in modern games.

Probably because games these days are largely huge blockbusters made by hundreds of people and they're probably nervous about spending time and money on something most players might not experience.

Thank god From aren't too bothered about every player being able to experience everything.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tarezax posted:

It's something of a Fromsoft tradition, really. When Dark Souls 1 DLC came out they didn't tell everyone how to get in, you had to find that poo poo.

For a refresher: first step was killing a golden crystal golem behind a lake containing a hydra, unlocking an NPC shopkeeper. Then you had to visit the Duke's Archives to kill a blue crystal golem that dropped a key item. Once you had that item you had to return to where you unlocked the NPC to find the portal to the DLC.

This was all to reach content that you paid for separately!

Dark Souls 2 and 3 were much more straightforward about DLC access, in comparison.

DS3 had the Untended Graves and Archdragon Peak which I doubt most players would even know exist without a walkthrough or friend telling them.

Oh, I also forgot about the way the smouldering lake requires you to wreck the rope bridge leading up to High Lord Wolnir and figure out that the remains can double as a ladder downward.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 10, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Haligtree is pretty well-signposted by comparison to great hollow/ash lake, forsaken castle cainhurst and archdragon peak.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Started playing through DS3 again and have been having a blast. Last night, after being stuck for a while, I managed to beat Midir, Gael and Nameless King. Not sure what got into me, but drat that felt good. The reason I'm posting is because I actually got a trophy for Nameless King - I never beat him back in the day.

I considered bumping the DS3 thread (which weirdly is not actually that dead of a thread).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The most popular games around when Dark Souls released were like Skyrim and Assassins Creed, it was (Western) industry standard to just have mindless button mashing as your combat system/difficulty baseline.

It's funny when people talk about AC combat being button mashy, because while it's not wrong, the most effective thing to do was bait attacks and parry into insta-kills, which isn't far off from how you can choose to play Dark Souls.

Vermain posted:

i think the downright hardest game i'd played before i picked up DS1 was, like, donkey kong country 2. there just weren't a lot of genuinely challenging, punishing games coming out, especially as gaming entered further into the mainstream and the need to make sales meant tamping down on the difficulty to accommodate a broader tent of players

hopefully the lesson that studios take away from games like ER and wo long is that people do actually like having a game that can punch them in the gut from time to time and force them to rise to the occasion, and that you can incorporate a set of systems (coop, spirit ashes, the morale system, etc.) that ease the burden of execution on players with less of a love of challenge or less of an ability to mechanically execute without making the core of the game completely mindless

For all my various qualms with ER, it's still the most approachable From game by far. So much whining about how Souls games "can't have an easy mode" and then From went ahead and basically did that anyway.

Also I don't think we can entirely discount how much of DS1's difficulty is wrapped up in its RPG cruft/jank. ER doesn't have an outright trap stat. ER doesn't have overly complicated and confusing weapon upgrade paths. Aside from some tricky teleport chests there's nothing as punishing as curse.

Plus ER has fewer ways to catastrophically gently caress up an entire playthrough by merit of preventing you from swinging your weapon in NPC-dense areas, on top of still offering a way to make angry NPCs chill out.

skasion posted:

-cat ring icon is no longer a picture of some fromsoft guys cat, especially hosed up since the original cat is probably dead now :(

IIRC they snuck the cat into the credits sequence. Or maybe someone else's cat, idk.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Untended Graves still feels like the biggest gently caress you, i love it. Did anyone ever figure what it even meant?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

John Murdoch posted:

For all my various qualms with ER, it's still the most approachable From game by far. So much whining about how Souls games "can't have an easy mode" and then From went ahead and basically did that anyway.

I don't think Elden Ring's 'Easy mode' was conceptually different from what you saw in Dark Souls, but its funny to me that, despite the greater amount of approaches to make things easier, people continued to whine that it didn't have an explicit easy mode.

repugnant
Jun 29, 2005

You can only think of me.

Is it possible to do the Volcano Manor legacy dungeon without doing the "kill your fellow tarnished" quest? On this playthrough I don't want to kill all those people. I tried using the abductor virgin in Raya Lucaria but the area it warps you to doesn't seem connected (or at least I couldn't figure out a way into the rest of the Manor dungeon).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

repugnant posted:

Is it possible to do the Volcano Manor legacy dungeon without doing the "kill your fellow tarnished" quest? On this playthrough I don't want to kill all those people. I tried using the abductor virgin in Raya Lucaria but the area it warps you to doesn't seem connected (or at least I couldn't figure out a way into the rest of the Manor dungeon).

Yes it is possible, you have look around the back end of the hall for an illusory wall.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Either you kill your friends and get teleported to the boss fight or you fight your way to the boss the hard way. Or both.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I had never seen the DeS remake fat official design until now. Goddamn is it embarrassingly amateurish.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

repugnant posted:

Hss, think of the loot tarnisshed. Many good armorss. Fasshion, tarnisshed.

And besidess they become famileee. It iss finee

Look for secret walls inside Volcano manor

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also something that never seems to come up w/r/t to the DeS remake is that I just find it distasteful that Sony gets to pump money into a remake that fucks with the original that much because they own the game and From gets no say in that. I guarantee that a lot of what Bluepoint did was explicitly in service of the fact that the remake was a big tentpole PS5 showcase. Sparse, carefully considered, minimalist visuals wouldn't convince people to buy a PS5.

Also also you will never convince me that the slicked-up remake UI isn't ill-fitting and awful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They should have changed more, make it a good game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They should have changed more, make it a good game

Tbh, this in equal measure. Either make it a properly faithful remake or get in there and actually muck with things on a more fundamental level.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They are correct.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I kind of wish that one of the big budget remakes would look into the cut content for some of these games and go out their way to restore that, a lot of cut content is because of development constraints rather than artistic vision. It'd be kind of cool to see a version of Dark Souls with Lost Izalith with all the breaks removed.

I mean if you are already rehashing a classic title you may as well go balls to the wall at that point.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Groovelord Neato posted:

This guy's complaints mirror my own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lx0CRVVvV8

It was made by people that didn't "get" the original and the quotes from the director make that even clearer.

edit: lol I forgot how bad Latria is in the remake.

I watched this whole thing, and come on, this guy makes a couple good points but the rest of it is the worst kind of obsessive nerd rage. He's one of the people who get nuts at the idea that a "remake" might not be an exact frame-by-frame recreation of the original. I went into it with an open mind, but the amount of times he calls Bluepoint arrogant or offensive, "that they know better than Miyazaki" make him seem a ridiculous kind of arrogant himself. A literal quote, about a minor change to Fool's Idol: "Who told them that they could get other inspiration?? Who told them they could fundamentally change other people's work in the delusion that what they're doing is better?"

I think the stuff about the Fat Officials is pretty valid, but almost everything else is just "they made a change and I liked the original better" with some half-baked rationale to make it feel like it's fact and not just his opinions. And no analysis of how the changes might mean different things -- okay, vines are covering Boletaria and it's only been ten years since Ostrava left, so maybe that means there's some weird time dilation going on? No, it must be a plot hole caused by Bluepoint being arrogant. :rolleyes:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I enjoyed the remake but I will say that changing the banners in Upper Latria from yellow to red is an astounding example of missing the point.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I've seen a few of that guy's videos before and I find him tedious and annoying

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Darth Nat posted:

I enjoyed the remake but I will say that changing the banners in Upper Latria from yellow to red is an astounding example of missing the point.

Astounding, truly. I am astounded.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm just here to chew bubblegum and summon a dragon head that screams and eats people, and bubblegum is currently not a craftable available in game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Caring about plot holes in a FROM game is missing the point in itself

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So far I'm not nearly as impressed with the Coded Sword as I am with the Noble's Slender Sword. Sure its weapon art ignores shields, but all that means is I do a good chunk of damage and then get guard countered into the dirt. Pure holy is nice because you can buff it easily but the same buffs are available to my flame art sword! Maybe it's better for PvP. I was really expecting it to stand out a lot more considering my build is tailor made for it. Cipher Pata is just as good at getting me killed stupidly and weighs nothing so I think it wins

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The fextralife guy lovvvesss the nobles slender sword.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

The fextralife guy lovvvesss the nobles slender sword.

It's got great damage, next to zero requirements, great scaling for infusions, and best in class reach. Hard not to love it. I got two estocs farming for it and those aren't nearly as good.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

John Murdoch posted:

It's funny when people talk about AC combat being button mashy, because while it's not wrong, the most effective thing to do was bait attacks and parry into insta-kills, which isn't far off from how you can choose to play Dark Souls.

the difference is even in DS1 you have to be careful about parrying, you need to learn the timings, it's high risk and reward

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Noble sword is the balder sword all over again. Best late game straightsword but you can only get by grinding off of some guys in the super early game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

I loving love that, its one of the things I really respect about From's design approach, its basically the last company I can think of that embraces the concept of the secret level, and does so so hard that it spirits away some of the most extreme and important content in some out of the way part of the map with a convoluted way to get there.

Yeah like how the gently caress was anyone supposed to find the dragon temple in DS3.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Also because some power stance movesets are busted and overpowered in this game, straight swords are automatically going to be a higher tier than every other weapon class. Coded Sword and Noble Slender Swords are top within that bracket.

PS Coded Sword is meant to be played pure rustic. No need to use the weapon skill, it just outputs a ridiculous amount of damage so long as you are good at timing your rolls, your spacing, your roll catches, your jump attacks. And it is pure holy damage, if you want to monoscale.

PS NSS has a few more options. It doesn't have quite the same insane damage output of PS Coded, but it comes close, and you have alot more access to interesting ashes like Raptors or Quickstep. It works particularly well elemental infused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah like how the gently caress was anyone supposed to find the dragon temple in DS3.

Messages. There’s a guidance message telling you to meditate there. If you’re in the habit of using guidance whenever you’re puzzled in a first playthrough (I’m not lol, I just blunder around), then you could maybe put it together to try a gesture of meditation. No hint on where to get one though.