Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Comparing this page to the last time we saw them (dealing with Jean in the forest in the Chapter 7 flashback) it's nice to see how much more readable the writing has become compared to last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A few juicy hweeyermz in this update.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-14

Even odds that the mysterious figure's the costume guy from Max's scene.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://twitter.com/LGarurumon/status/1626466284576841728

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Even odds that the mysterious figure's the costume guy from Max's scene.

:siren: Big page today.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-15

There's these black earrings again.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You can’t believe Davy has shapeshifting powers

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So there are a few things I find really interesting about the last couple pages:
  • Everyone is wearing black stud earrings (or gauges, for Gage). The other characters we've seen wearing black studs are Agent Walker, Jean Garcia, and Angel Guerra (all in Chapter 7). I suspect it's part of the Mayview Academy uniform. Guerra, Walker and Garcia aren't wearing them in the current day, while Ritz and Penny weren't wearing them as children (Chapter 7) but have them now.
  • Penny potentially just sicced the vampires onto Mr. Puckett, if she can get out of this without revealing her face/identity -- the wallet with Peter's ID is on the ground now.
  • Now we know why Jackpot Junior showed up to check out Max -- he was blazing with spectral energy the whole time. It's not just Davy that knows now that Max's a spectral, it's Penny too. You'd think at some point Mr. Spender would've warned the kids about being more circumspect with their auras.
  • "My father never loved me," indeed.
  • Penny's panicking about showing her white aura but she's very fortunate that it's probably the exact group of spectral/spectral-adjacents in Mayview that wouldn't have a clue what it meant.

And, finally, now that non-spectral-yet-desperately-trying-for-an-escape-and-very-shrewd Paige has not only a spectral Ritz on her hands but also potentially an accomplished thief, what do you wager she starts putting some numbers together, realizes Rick and Ritz have the same spectral color, and then tries to steal Mr. Spender's sunglasses to have Ritz use them to nuke Davy?... thereby freeing the "nuclear bomb" that's been heavily foreshadowed to escape at some point in this story.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-16

Some important info today about where Penny stands re: the main cast. We're about to meet a new spirit next week I suppose.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Says a lot about them that none of them thought about looking right next door. Not even Penny.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-16

Some important info today about where Penny stands re: the main cast. We're about to meet a new spirit next week I suppose.

The risk Gage is taking are calculated. But he's really, really bad at math.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kyte posted:

Says a lot about them that none of them thought about looking right next door. Not even Penny.

... or that the private investigators report to Davy and kept them in the dark about the whereabouts of the sunglasses spectral.

The interesting part is that Penny never found out given she works all across town? Did Mr. Spender never show up at Angel's shop again?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

SKULL.GIF posted:

... or that the private investigators report to Davy and kept them in the dark about the whereabouts of the sunglasses spectral.

The interesting part is that Penny never found out given she works all across town? Did Mr. Spender never show up at Angel's shop again?

They failed because they assumed Spender was in some private island getting a tan like a complete douche (and therefore focused their efforts in that direction) instead of being a public school teacher right at home. Even Penny's assuming that.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Y'know also says something about Angel that he has never once mentioned Rick to Penny at all, since he's probably at least aware that Rick is still in town.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-17

That's a neat power, some neat lore, and a neat soft confirmation of a thing

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

aegof posted:

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-17

That's a neat power, some neat lore, and a neat soft confirmation of a thing

Welp, in one update someone managed to take Forge's place as best spirit in the series for me.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
So that confirms that Max's hosting the Sphinx of Contracts. I wonder if he's got any physical similarities already.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Lucifer is still probably my favorite spirit design, but Phantomime is really cool as well. This was an interesting way to reveal the spirit possessing Max without just outright saying it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So, what, she gets out of this situation by making a hasty contract with the vampire teens? Probably to do something or steal something for them?

The fountain pen tip is to sign the contract?

I mentioned it before but Ritz and Mr. Spender have the same color spectral energy, if Paige asks Penny to steal a tool that Ritz can use...

edit: lol. Contract Claws. Nice

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 10, 2023

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
When would Max have become a host for the sphinx, seemingly without his knowledge?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kyte posted:

So that confirms that Max's hosting the Sphinx of Contracts. I wonder if he's got any physical similarities already.

Fecha posted:

When would Max have become a host for the sphinx, seemingly without his knowledge?
Wonder how it happened, and if it maybe has anything to do with his mother's strong feelings on promises.
Actually, Max's mom and the scrapdragon in his bat are the two characters I want to see more info on the most - they both look awesome and are mysterious as all hell.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Drakyn posted:

Wonder how it happened, and if it maybe has anything to do with his mother's strong feelings on promises.
Actually, Max's mom and the scrapdragon in his bat are the two characters I want to see more info on the most - they both look awesome and are mysterious as all hell.

Aw jeez what if Max’s mom was the host and the sphinx possessed him when she died

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
It seems possible yeah, Forge was able to pass the barrier into Mayview by going with Johnny somehow. So the Sphinx might have done something similiar with Max. Did Max's mother leave Mayview to take the sphinx away from the city? Or was it just her spirit/ally or some sort of tag along? Though it does seem to put her words about promises into new perspective for sure.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
No wonder Max is so catty.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kyte posted:

They failed because they assumed Spender was in some private island getting a tan like a complete douche (and therefore focused their efforts in that direction) instead of being a public school teacher right at home. Even Penny's assuming that.
I do like that their parents would just assume their kid would be an rear end in a top hat just living it up somewhere, never thinking to look in their own backyard.

I do find it harder to believe Penny would have never bumped into him considering all the oddjobs she does, but maybe she’s sticking to the wealth part of town for better jobs and wealthier targets, a place Spender would actively avoid.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, hey!

We've been theorizing for a while that Suzy hides her last name because she doesn't want people to know she's related to Spender, but maybe she actually hides it because she doesn't want people to find out Spender is related to her?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That reminds me, what would be the money pun in Suzy's name if she really is a Spender?

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Kyte posted:

That reminds me, what would be the money pun in Suzy's name if she really is a Spender?

Suz/Sus-Spender? (Suspender)

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Suzy B. And of course she'd take her father's surname, "Anthony".

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I thought maybe Sue, like Lawsuit

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Laissez-Faire Spender

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-18

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Thanks Penny, you're the worst.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I honestly want to see Max's dad become an evil vampire, because that falls straight into the category of "should be horrifying; will be hilarious."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sex: DAD
Hair: YES PLEASE

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

“HAIR: YES PLEASE” is precisely the kind of joke that shows why I still read this webcomic regularly even though it’s not a comic anymore and an enemy faction introduced years ago is finally coming into conflict with the main-ish character by accident

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I honestly want to see Max's dad become an evil vampire, because that falls straight into the category of "should be horrifying; will be hilarious."

I want them to establish that Max's dad MIGHT now be an evil vampire, but due to how weird and off-kilter Mr. Puckett is it's left ambiguous to both Max and us if he's being Evil Vampire Dad or just Max's Dad.

Never answer the question. End the story never telling us which.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zack's taking a break this week. Next update should be a bit bigger than usual.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Here we go. Back to the main cast.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-19

Hmm, Angel's earrings are grey now.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Ángel seems like a crappy dad.
And keeping emotional distance despite acting like he cares.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It seems like Isabel is surrounded with people who have trouble connecting with her (Ed, Flipflop, Angel, Isaac, Master Guerra, Mr Spender).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I love Flipflop