Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Moore is on a really cap-friendly deal too for the next 3 years. So they can really dump a ton of money into OL and DL in free agency.

Interested to see who they go with at #9. I doubt Carter falls that far (although they have draft capital to move up if he is on the board at #6 or #7. There's some elite corners that should be available like Porter Jr and Gonzalez from Oregon. Wouldn't have a problem with them trading down again if Levis is on the board and someone like the Commanders or Lions are desperate to move up to get him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

As a fantasy Lamar owner, I don’t want him in Detroit. Too much volatility in his plan and injury status.

The overall feeling of the Lions right now without any superstars on the team taking the entirety of the focus seems to work really well for their mentality and cohesion. Everyone is an “regular” guy and putting Lamar into the mix with a ridiculous contract feels wrong. Plus, Goff has absolutely earned his spot from both a performance and heart perspective.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Has it ever happened in the NFL where players take less than they could get elsewhere for rings? Iirc that’s how the Wings had such an all star team in like… 2002 or 2004 when we had Hašek

Tom Brady did it for 20 years, on paper

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1634329014784647168

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Now to start a prayer circle that the Panthers pick Richardson and keep Darnold as a bridge QB so that 2024 first can land as high as possible

I was actually kind of against trading with Carolina specifically because I thought they were having a really good offseason and plugging in Young/Stroud at QB in such a trash division could have them competitive very quickly. However, looking at their offensive situation now that Moore is gone…yeesh. At least they still have that trash division thing going for them

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Velus Jones showed some things when he was forced to be a reciever after everyone was hurt. Needs to work on that whole catching thing tho lol. Braxton Jones showed he has the skill to be a pretty decent left tackle, Homie just needs to live in the weight room.

Shout out to Lovie Smith, you a real one.

Receiving group is pretty good right now and I just don't see how he sees the field without some injuries. Right now he's #5 on the depth chart and that's before they make any moves in the offseason. If he could play special teams I can see him being active, but he can't catch punts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

Receiving group is pretty good right now and I just don't see how he sees the field without some injuries. Right now he's #5 on the depth chart and that's before they make any moves in the offseason. If he could play special teams I can see him being active, but he can't catch punts.

That's fine, him at 5, you need 5-6 receivers.

Dude is fast as poo poo. He'd be useful for that take the top off the defense role.

His bigger thing is learning how to catch a punt lol.

Kedzie
Dec 13, 2004

they all float down here
If the 2015 pick was also a first, this would be an “S” rank trade. Getting DJ Moore as a receiver who can contribute week one is massive. Being able to grab one of Poles’ top prospects at #9 is huge. Assuming they grab DLine or Oline at #9.

Double trade down was the ultimate dream but this is right up there with some of the more optimistic trade scenarios, so I’m loving it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Now to start a prayer circle that the Panthers pick Richardson and keep Darnold as a bridge QB so that 2024 first can land as high as possible

I was actually kind of against trading with Carolina specifically because I thought they were having a really good offseason and plugging in Young/Stroud at QB in such a trash division could have them competitive very quickly. However, looking at their offensive situation now that Moore is gone…yeesh. At least they still have that trash division thing going for them

I can't see a path where the Panthers are not in the bottom 10 of the league next year. Rookie QB and they just traded away their #1 receiver. I don't think they have much cap space either. If anything, they probably overachieved a little last season.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Moore is on a really cap-friendly deal too for the next 3 years. So they can really dump a ton of money into OL and DL in free agency.

Interested to see who they go with at #9. I doubt Carter falls that far (although they have draft capital to move up if he is on the board at #6 or #7. There's some elite corners that should be available like Porter Jr and Gonzalez from Oregon. Wouldn't have a problem with them trading down again if Levis is on the board and someone like the Commanders or Lions are desperate to move up to get him.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Chicago extend him and give him a huge base salary this year. They have a bunch of cash they _have_ to spend and it's better to do that and make him happy then blowing it on street free agents

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

adaz posted:

It wouldn't surprise me to see Chicago extend him and give him a huge base salary this year. They have a bunch of cash they _have_ to spend and it's better to do that and make him happy then blowing it on street free agents

He still has 3 years left. I think they'd be happy extending him but I also feel like Moore probably wants to be a free agent at 28 instead of 30.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

Velus Jones showed some things when he was forced to be a reciever after everyone was hurt. Needs to work on that whole catching thing tho lol. Braxton Jones showed he has the skill to be a pretty decent left tackle, Homie just needs to live in the weight room.

Shout out to Lovie Smith, you a real one.

Vallus Jones sucks poo poo I am sorry

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

surf rock posted:

Moore's contract also isn't bad at all in this crazy new world of WR contracts:

2023: $19,965,000 guaranteed, $25,040,000 cap hit (pre-June 1 cut dead money: $35,700,000)
2024: $1,110,000 guaranteed, $20,925,000 cap hit (pre-June 1 cut dead money: $10,860,000)
2025: $0 guaranteed, $20,925,000 cap hit (pre-June 1 cut dead money: $4,875,000)

This is what I wanted to see. I'm not super happy with the trade but it's a good contract and I like picking at 9. Just wanted more

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

HootTheOwl posted:

If he could figure out how to catch a football he might be in a good place. Alas, he has not shown any indication that this is possible, and that is a talent that you should probably develop before you hit the pros if you want to be successful.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Niwrad posted:

He still has 3 years left. I think they'd be happy extending him but I also feel like Moore probably wants to be a free agent at 28 instead of 30.

maybe, but if they give him a big 5 year deal with a payoff I could see it. basically you're giving him a bit of an early payday with the likely risk your not getting that 3rd contract.

:shrug: it makes sense for the bears and it might for DJ to start making that 20-25m AAV instead of gambling on a third contract. it also can give him a huge payout this year and like.. 50 mil or 75 mil payday has to look nice

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

HootTheOwl posted:

Every team needs a dedicated end around guy

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

This is what I wanted to see. I'm not super happy with the trade but it's a good contract and I like picking at 9. Just wanted more

How are you not happy with the trade lol. It's dramatically more than the Niners paid

Replacing the 3rd number one pick, with a WR1, and a second.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think Carolina has the best coaching staff in the league and their pick will be below the bears next year

Edit: Moore is like 3 years younger than I realized, that cheers me up

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Velus Jones and DJ Moore are the same age.

Jones wasn't even a good wide receiver in college. It was a bad pick from the start and hopefully just chalking it up to Poles 1st draft jitters or something. He needs a strong draft this year though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I think Carolina has the best coaching staff in the league and their pick will be below the bears next year

ehhhh

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

Jones wasn't even a good wide receiver in college. It was a bad pick from the start and hopefully just chalking it up to Poles 1st draft jitters or something. He needs a strong draft this year though.

Now I'm happy. I didn't know the age thing on Moore

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

They are one of the least talented teams in the league. Their offense should be worse next year, their defense was already bad, and they don't have a ton of cap space to improve. No matter who is coaching that team, I just don't see how that pick isn't in the top 10 next year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Holy poo poo this rules

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Carolina drafting a QB at 1
Houston drafting a QB at 2
Cardinals probably drafting Will Anderson Jr. at 3
Colts drafting a QB at 4
Seahawks ????? at 5

JALEN CARTER TO THE LIONS, COME ON DOWNNNNNNNNN

Gonz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 11, 2023

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Niwrad posted:

:psyduck:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One added bonus of the trade is that if Fields doesn't pan out, the Bears will have two good 1st round picks next season to find another QB. It's a nice hedge they will hopefully not have to worry about.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Yeah just gonna say again how finding out Velus and dj are the same age turned my frown upside down

Lol

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Gonz posted:

Carolina drafting a QB at 1
Houston drafting a QB at 2
Cardinals probably drafting Will Anderson Jr. at 3
Colts drafting a QB at 4
Seahawks ????? at 5

JALEN CARTER TO THE LIONS, COME ON DOWNNNNNNNNN

Seahawks Bijan Robinson at 5 and I'll :smithicide:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sweet geek swag posted:

If he could figure out how to catch a football he might be in a good place. Alas, he has not shown any indication that this is possible, and that is a talent that you should probably develop before you hit the pros if you want to be successful.

What about hold onto the ball. Dude is a fumble machine

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

you can learn to catch and hold on to the ball. but yeah he's gonna have to do that.

If he does then he is a really really good returner. He's just always done kick returns, he was just mid at fielding punts.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

One added bonus of the trade is that if Fields doesn't pan out, the Bears will have two good 1st round picks next season to find another QB. It's a nice hedge they will hopefully not have to worry about.

Yeah this helps a lot. There wasn't much WR help in free agency, let alone someone under 30. So without upgrading wr, we continue the what if cycle on fields. Now we should know a lot faster

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Yes, this lets us focus on both lines in FA and draft, and with plenty of money to play with. Is this... hope???

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I could see the Bears grabbing someone like Peter Skoronski or Tyree Wilson at 9.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Nervous posted:

Seahawks Bijan Robinson at 5 and I'll :smithicide:

If Jamaal Williams, for whatever reason, isn’t re-signed, I want the Lions to grab Bijan at 18 (or in the 20’s if they trade down a little bit). Because Swift probably isn’t on the roster in 2024, and…

…uhh…

*points at Lions O-line*

*points at Bijan Robinson’s college tape*

I mean…COME ON.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would kind of like an OT at 9, just because I dream of having an offensive line as good as Philly's and I think the free agency options are pretty mid. Having cost-controlled bookends on the offensive line for the next few years would be sick as hell if it works out

I don't expect that to be the direction Poles goes in, though. I bet they sign McGlinchey and pick the best d-line prospect available at 9. Which is probably a smarter move, tbh; I presume you're less likely to find a great EDGE in free agency/later in the draft than you are a great offensive lineman

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'll never root for the Bears, but even this Vikings fan is excited to watch their off-season.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gonz posted:

I could see the Bears grabbing someone like Peter Skoronski or Tyree Wilson at 9.

I've been sending my friends skoronski articles for the last hour. Too bad he doesn't have any clips like slater vs chase young that I'm aware of

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

RIP to DJ Moore's career

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good for the bears. I thought maybe the colts would have been the best option as the bears could still have one of the best defensive players and I think the Colts will be total poo poo next year no matter what.

I think the Panthers will be decent next year so next year's picks are not as good as the colts. Plus the colts would do something funny with the first overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

RIP to DJ Moore's career

Justin fields drops back, skoronski protecting him, tons of time, dj moore open deep and wait? What's that on the field? Oh no, Virginia McCaskey has reanimated as a fast zombie and ripped off Justin's head