Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Time to revisit an old Savathun Reflection

Mercury, Io, and Titan are in my care. False. Witness

The Witness returned Mars to your solar system. False. Savathun

The power to move worlds will soon be yours. True. Raid encounter!

The Taken King will rise again. See you in TFS, buddy

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

CottonWolf posted:

If that was the plan, it was a complete failure of messaging on their part.

Yeah, that's the thing, it also doesn't work with how they delivered the story in game either. They could've at least had someone ask, "Well what is the Veil" to the Cloudstrider duo and have them go, "We don't really know, it has properties that enable easy linking of consciousness, but its a mystery to even our best scientists," and you could at least somewhat squeak by on that. Instead it's "Ah you already know what the Veil is, buddy, time to go get it!"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The detail and specificity of that announcement make it very much feel like it's a response to the LF reaction. If it was all according to plan they'd say something vague about how we should hang tight and our questions will be answered in the future. Saying our questions will be answered on this date, in this manner, and in a piece of content not considered part of that season drop is out of character

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Whirling posted:

Yeah, that's the thing, it also doesn't work with how they delivered the story in game either. They could've at least had someone ask, "Well what is the Veil" to the Cloudstrider duo and have them go, "We don't really know, it has properties that enable easy linking of consciousness, but its a mystery to even our best scientists," and you could at least somewhat squeak by on that. Instead it's "Ah you already know what the Veil is, buddy, time to go get it!"

but that is what happened, more or less, in the post-game exotic mission

in-game Osiris is all "it doesn't matter except that the Witness wants it". Rohan kind of hints at what he saw in the Black Garden, but Nimbus is all "yeah we need it for our civilians"

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well some of the world first raiders out here talking about how power creep is still a thing and this raid is so easy like the rest of the game. So expecting to hear them beg to have the game get even harder before Final Shape.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ChaosReaper posted:

Well some of the world first raiders out here talking about how power creep is still a thing and this raid is so easy like the rest of the game. So expecting to hear them beg to have the game get even harder before Final Shape.

Saltagreppo’s team is absolutely malding about the raid being too easy, which I suspect is at least partially because they didn’t get world’s first this time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If LF’s difficulty tuning is in response to streamers saying the game is too easy, please ignore streamers in the future

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The raid seems designed around Master Mode, tbqh. Which makes sense with how many words they wrote about its Adept Weapons earlier this year

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

Saltagreppo’s team is absolutely malding about the raid being too easy, which I suspect is at least partially because they didn’t get world’s first this time

This raid is insanely fun and brutal at the same time in contest mode. No one’s getting carried, everyone has to do something.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

haveblue posted:

If LF’s difficulty tuning is in response to streamers saying the game is too easy, please ignore streamers in the future

this is a rule every developer should have as a part of their core values

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

ChaosReaper posted:

You will literally never satisfy these people, it is insane to try.

Streamer culture is a disease and one of the worst things to ever happen to gaming

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Pirate Jet posted:

It's so easy that they finished 32. Don't worry, Bungie will nerf something else from his whining and then claim they were always going to nerf it.

Edit: a team of console players beat them at 13

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

I know I'm like a broken record on this, but it would seem like if you have two groups, one saying the game is too easy, and one saying the game's too hard, one way to please both would be to have different difficulty settings.

Instead of just having the one, and turning a big dial taht says "difficulty" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Panderfringe posted:

So the raid is Vow but with Cabal.

it really isn't but go off i guess

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
It’s Friday and the Silicon Valley financial ecosystem is collapsing so my raid boss is Sazerac

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Sucks that the reality of your ten year old fantasy of playing video games for a living is that you'd be a joyless twerp who ruins the game for everyone else.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
So when do my mods unlock

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Why would anyone listen to streamers, honestly? They're such a small subset of the player base and the way they engage with the game is radically different from what the average person can or will do. I recall them screaming about them going from connection-based matchmaking to skill-based matchmaking in PVP because they'd have to match with higher tier players, but that's because they play eight hours a day. The normie teens that make up a majority of the players are probably happy they aren't getting curbstomped by stacks of streamers in every game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Whirling posted:

Why would anyone listen to streamers, honestly?

In theory, their role as influencers can drive audiences to or away from your game. You want to keep them happy because they’re a combination of trusted reviews and free marketing

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Isn't this what the hard (mystic/master/whatever) mode things are for? Just crank up the difficulty so the joyless streamers can bash their faces against it 300 times and everyone else can have fun and enjoy themselves on normal

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pirate Jet posted:

If it was so easy, why're you outside the top 50, my man. :laffo:

Go bitch about Divinity and resil some more.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Streamers aren’t “bad” or “good” they do exist and matter

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

for better or for worse streamers are here to stay and it's in the interests of every developer to care about what they're doing and saying

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Just got Lord of Wolves from a Lost Sector. Pretty interesting, though I’m not really sure what the point of the full-auto is? Just make it like a machine gun for a few seconds? Seems like more of a PvP gun, but my Titan Strand gun was missing a good energy shotgun, so I may use it.

Lord of Wolves at times in the past has been completely broken in pvp and has been through multiple reworks and been pretty good in pve for boss dps at times as well. The alternate setting used to melt people at a very long range in pvp for a shotgun.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Streamers are just people trying to make a living and entertain people and that's fine, laudable even. There's a lot of Destiny content creators who I would say are unambiguously a net positive for the community. The issue is when too many streamers think that because they've played the game for so long, they know best for the game better than the people making it when they're some 30-something in their apartment who's never touched development tools or designed anything in their life. And there's plenty of people in the raid race category of the community who have gone way past that point.

And then there's the people who, after almost 10 years of this franchise, are still waiting for Bungie to make some comprehensive mega rework to PvP that will make everybody happy once and for all and uh. I dunno. I dunno why they're still here.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

haveblue posted:

don't listen to streamers ever. that's how we ended up with d2 y1

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Didn't streamers end up hating d2y1 and didnt Bungie have like a "player summit" or something that lead to some of the Forsaken changes? Or at least I feel like someone mentioned something like this last time the "streamers bad y/n" discussion.

Also, so far the only post raid thing seems to be some collectables on Neomuna that I don't really see why were time gated in the first place since they don't really have any narrative or real explanation for showing up? Though, they do give strand meditations, so I imagine they were intended to help you have a quickish source to buy up the fragments originally intended for post-raid (Which in turn would let you get the sidearm)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

"Final God Of Pain" is an extremely goofy title for a raid boss

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

studio mujahideen posted:

and he's literally just a slightly reskinned tormentor.

like the enemy was cool, but did the raid final boss have to be JUST a tormentor?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think Taken King is held in extra high regard because it Fixed a broken game whereas Lightfall is just a thin new layer atop a functional game, but even with the nits picked out, it still looks like TTK has like... a lot more content? A ton more?

I can't tell if the implication is that Lightfall is in some way comparable to TTK?

DestinyNostalgia guy is a Reddit-tier idiot and knows nothing about game development broadly or Bungie specifically

but yeah, Lightfall is more analogous to Rise of Iron

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yes all the Nezarec lore is insanely bad

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Panderfringe posted:

and he's literally just a slightly reskinned tormentor.

like the enemy was cool, but did the raid final boss have to be JUST a tormentor?

i think he looks similar because theyre related but "lightly reskinned" is just not how those sorts of things work in game dev

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Final Boss of Pain was right there

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

a friend of mine suggested this so I can't take credit but how did they not go with Final Shape Of Pain

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

This is another good example of a raid that isn't too built around well of radiance and bubble

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

i think he looks similar because theyre related but "lightly reskinned" is just not how those sorts of things work in game dev

no like, it is just a tormentor.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

their gimmick is to constantly complain about how bad or low-effort everything is while continuing to buy and play every expansion

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Extremely glorious schadenfreude from the butthurt of dumb streamer shitlord not getting anywhere near top spot in race.

So not really anything of note unlocked then, gtg.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Roctavian posted:

This is another good example of a raid that isn't too built around well of radiance and bubble
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but it feels very funny to have a raid boss that has a suppress effect because it means some of the least meta supers are the worst to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'd like to buy Hawkmoon from Xur, how do you get an Ascendant Shard and an Exotic Cipher?