Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Related to the Fat Tire news, anyone try the “remastered” Sam Adams Boston Lager yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Huh, I hadn't even realized they'd changed it.

Pretty much the only Sam Adams I buy at this point is Oktoberfest. I used to get a Winter pack but they took out all of the beers I like and made Sam Winter kinda thin and flavorless.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I only ever liked Noble Pils. That poo poo I could drink like iced tea.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Quiet Feet posted:

Huh, I hadn't even realized they'd changed it.

Pretty much the only Sam Adams I buy at this point is Oktoberfest. I used to get a Winter pack but they took out all of the beers I like and made Sam Winter kinda thin and flavorless.

The 12 pack boxes had “Remastered” on the packaging. I didn’t buy any to try but hopefully they didn’t muck it up too much. Boston Lager is a classic, and they already ruined summer ale and winter ale.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Brawnfire posted:

I only ever liked Noble Pils. That poo poo I could drink like iced tea.

Oh yeah that was so good.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Where's the adjuncts!?

They're probably in the mail.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

They're probably in the mail.

get his rear end

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
>:^I

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I drank a Treehouse Intemperence milk stout tonight. 8.97/10.902 stars. Highly recommend.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Where's the adjuncts!?

:mad:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tonights beer is a tall boy of Keystone Light® :guinness:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Three Heads keeps knocking it out of the park for me, I stop by the brewery way more often than my budget prefers

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Three words:

Maine Beer Co.

They just don't miss with anything I've had from them.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Kaiho posted:

Three words:

Maine Beer Co.

They just don't miss with anything I've had from them.

:hmmyes:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Filled up some barrels with a doppelbock the other day. The beer was tasting pretty good, if a little young, so I'm excited to see how these turn out.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I'm heading to Germany and Prague this October for what is essentially a food and beer drinking tour. I'm heading after Ocktoberfest as I'm not a big fan of the hustle and bustle and just want to stroll around at my own pace. Excitement about the trip has overcome me like I'm a little kid so I'm youtubing and googling like crazy. I'm pretty sure I'll have all the obvious beers and locations covered. Just wondering if there's any less obvious places or beers it'd be a travesty to miss out on that may not come up in my searches. I've got three nights in Munich and Prague and am also visiting Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Berlin and Hamburg.

edit: oh and I like/am willing to try any beer if it has a solid rep. If I was to have a preference it would be towards lagers and pilsners. But like I said, any beer any place.

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 27, 2023

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Well it's a good thing you like lager beer because you'll be hard pressed to find anything but in those places.

Honestly, there's "craft" but aside from a select few bars in Prague it's going to be disappointing.

If you can make it to Bamberg from Nuremberg there's some really gorgeous old school Franconian lagers to be had, both smoked and not.

Edit: Berlin is great but also expensive. But it has the brilliant option of buying 500ml bottles from a convenience store and taking in the city while drinking them.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

fuckpot posted:

I'm heading to Germany and Prague this October for what is essentially a food and beer drinking tour. I'm heading after Ocktoberfest as I'm not a big fan of the hustle and bustle and just want to stroll around at my own pace. Excitement about the trip has overcome me like I'm a little kid so I'm youtubing and googling like crazy. I'm pretty sure I'll have all the obvious beers and locations covered. Just wondering if there's any less obvious places or beers it'd be a travesty to miss out on that may not come up in my searches. I've got three nights in Munich and Prague and am also visiting Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Berlin and Hamburg.

edit: oh and I like/am willing to try any beer if it has a solid rep. If I was to have a preference it would be towards lagers and pilsners. But like I said, any beer any place.

Krusovice might be my favourite non-craft lager in the world, the pils and the dark both.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

fuckpot posted:

Make time for this and please brag about it
http://www.unetickypivovar.cz/en

https://youtu.be/_qsMpypWlfA

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yeah, from your post it seems to me that you don't really know how beer works in Germany. It's basically like this:

Each town or region has a brewery. Everyone in that town/region thinks that their local beer is the best in the world and won't have anything else. So, in that town you go to the Brauhaus of that brewery and have their beer, which exists in maybe 2 or 3 variations - pilsner and weizen, maybe schwarz, maybe some local variant like Kölsch or altbier. If you want anything that is from another town/region you go to a local Getränkemarkt and load up your car with crates of them for cheap. Don't expect it in any bars - they will have some nationwide boring macro stuff and the local thing only.

The only exception to this is indeed some recent small-scale and expensive craft beer stuff that exists in some larger/student cities which follow more the American style of doing things. But it's more rare in Germany than other places as they already had their own beer culture.

I don't know too much about Prague since I haven't been there since 2012 but I guess it's similar there, totally worth it to just drink lots of the local pils though. Back then there was already the Prague beer museum which had some different local things that were good.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Prague has U Kunštátů. It was fun but not worth planning on a trip around. Like an American craft experience.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Travels 4,000 miles to be around neckbeards speaking a different language

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Neckbeards are more enjoyable company when you can’t understand what they are saying

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It was funny in Amsterdam going to a craft beer bar that was 75% American stuff, and only big breweries of course.

(We only went there because another bar had a challenge where if you went to the three other bars they owned and had a beer at each in one day, you got a free tshirt.)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Connecticut beer goons, Firefly Hollow is going under it appears. I wasn’t a huge fan of their stuff but it’s still sad to see a relatively long-running brewery go out.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
I saw that. Not the greatest beer, but as you said it is sad that a place that had been around that long is closing. Plus, I did like their location if nothing else.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

smackfu posted:

It was funny in Amsterdam going to a craft beer bar that was 75% American stuff, and only big breweries of course.

(We only went there because another bar had a challenge where if you went to the three other bars they owned and had a beer at each in one day, you got a free tshirt.)

I have that t-shirt!

This is an exception though, American craft beer is fairly rare and expensive here except for some brands that got taken over by big companies. There's just one or two places that have a big import operation like the Beer Temple + Bierkoning. Most craft beer bars in Amsterdam focus on Dutch + Belgian with some other European stuff.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Decided I don't care sorry

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 4, 2023

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Long long ago I was in Chicago and ordered a “three-twelve” and they gave me a look.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

fuckpot posted:

Everything I know about Frankfurt is that it's a fairly boring city full of office buildings. You're better off going to Dusseldorf or Cologne(Koln), which both have countless bars and small breweries showing off altbier and Kolsch respectively, plus a lot of great wandering and history. Those were probably my two favorite stops during my Siebel study tour. Three nights in Munich will be fantastic, just keep in mind you're probably drinking Augustiner, Ayinger and Schneider-Weisse the whole time. Bamburg is also worth a stop if you like smoked beers and beautiful old buildings.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Connecticut beer goons, Firefly Hollow is going under it appears. I wasn’t a huge fan of their stuff but it’s still sad to see a relatively long-running brewery go out.

Hi, it's me. The guy who really liked them and is sad. :smithcloud:

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. Would have bought a little more if I'd known it was gonna be the last time.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
For the Canadians: is Collective Arts a good brewery or just good at marketing? I see them everywhere here in Alberta and yeah the labels are cool but I've yet to have anything from them that I would rate higher than 3/5

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Llyr posted:

For the Canadians: is Collective Arts a good brewery or just good at marketing? I see them everywhere here in Alberta and yeah the labels are cool but I've yet to have anything from them that I would rate higher than 3/5

as an american i have not had anything from them i felt the need to repurchase

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I, a non-Canadian non-American, think they've been just fine each time I've had their stuff but I've stayed away from the ridiculous pastry I think they might be known for?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We are the “beer folk” in our circle of friends so get a lot of beer themed gifts for Christmas / birthdays. I swear, every attempt to make a dessert / candy with beer just makes the dessert worse, or at best is unnoticeable.

We had some fancy beer caramels las tonight and they just tasted like caramels with a bitter aftertaste. Also, not a gift, but beer ice creams tend to have the same problem. Just nasty bitterness.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

smackfu posted:

We had some fancy beer caramels las tonight and they just tasted like caramels with a bitter aftertaste.

I've taken some sweet-as-gently caress beers and tried to make simple syrup out of them and it has always turned out dreadfully bitter. Hops, yo.

Also, my family long ago stopped buying me beer gifts because they realized that I did not want those.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
One of the big commercial brewers here has released this for some reason

250ml 6%ABV.
Normal Victoria Bitter is 375ml and 4.9%

I guess its so its the same amount of standard drinks as a normal VB? Just seems weird and pointless.

VX is an apt name for all their beer generally.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Piss Creep posted:

One of the big commercial brewers here has released this for some reason

250ml 6%ABV.
Normal Victoria Bitter is 375ml and 4.9%

I guess its so its the same amount of standard drinks as a normal VB? Just seems weird and pointless.

VX is an apt name for all their beer generally.

0.049 * 375 ml = 18.375 ml alcohol

0.06 * 250 ml = 15 ml alcohol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

0.049 * 375 ml = 18.375 ml alcohol

0.06 * 250 ml = 15 ml alcohol

Thanks.

VB = 1.4 standard drinks