Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ardennes posted:

A lot of the manufacturing in Mexico and Vietnam is either done by Chinese companies or using Chinese components. China just produces a ton of everything.

yes and I think that continuing is a better scenario.

unfortunately that’s starting to change. we will get to see what that change really looks like in about a decade I’d think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mandoric posted:

End of history ate those, too, is my impression. The last federal triumph was for the Gulf War, and the rural Northeast is weird to begin with + where I grew up specifically was apparently the creme de la creme of National Guard both infantry and armored + also where I grew up has a huge complex about being the turning point in the Saratoga campaign, but they usually had a presence including a tank or two and a few M35s to roll to the local parades until around then.

In that window between "what do we need this for" and post-9/11 paranoia they just kind of fenced off a parking lot by the high school and left the hardware there to rot, lol.

Around the time this was dying off a shitload of towns around me started putting in veterans memorials, and now it seems like every little town has one. Usually it's just some carved granite but one nearby has an actual decommissioned Huey in it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I just remembered that NYC had a tickertape Parade for the troops after the Gulf War ended

Lol Korean War veterans got one two weeks later

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the west moving away from Chinese imports right now. The factories are literally being imported right.

:wrong:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the west moving away from Chinese imports right now. The factories are literally being imported right.

The west? Europe certainly isn't now that it's energy supply is scrap.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

genericnick posted:

The west? Europe certainly isn't now that it's energy supply is scrap.

Listen the Europes MIC is booming right now, therefore no problems.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Listen the Europes MIC is booming right now, therefore no problems.

Aluminum is generally useful for military production but I’m no expert.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I often am watching it happen in person on the waterfront. though these days more only when they gently caress up in some way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They will build all of those factories in the west and then use them as inefficiently and badly as they possibly can because having stuff is not the problem. I know this is difficult to grasp because your life revolves around moving stuff around but you need to be able to actually use what you have. Nobody in the west is going to match Chinese production even if you gave them an equivalent amount of factories and raw materials in one go, the system itself makes that impossible.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

saw this new U.S. army recruitment ad. what's interesting about it is that it seems to take some inspiration from PLA videos with the parade of vehicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ItEHJc330Q

they're rehashing an old campaign from the 80s that some middle aged troops are nostalgic for.
Army looks to popular ’80s slogan to help recruiting | Federal News Network

federalnewsnetwork.com posted:

After a year where the Army failed to meet its recruiting numbers by a wide gap, it relaunched its brand Tuesday and brought back “Be All You Can Be,” its highly successful slogan from the 1980s. The slogan features in a new ad campaign meant to appeal to Generation Z and their parents.

In an effort to improve recruiting numbers, the Army spent a year developing the new ad campaign, and it has made policy changes designed to cast a wider net for new recruits.

Last year, the Army missed its recruiting goal of 60,000 new soldiers by 15,000 recruits.

“The Army, and frankly, all of the military services are facing the most challenging recruiting landscape in decades. So it is a perfect time to be launching our new brand, launching our reinvented tagline ‘be all you can be.’” said Army Secretary Christine Wormuth at launch event in Washington. And as a child of the 80s, I am super excited that we are bringing back a reinvented version of ‘be all you can be.’”

The new ads feature actor Jonathon Majors walking through historic Army battles talking about the benefits of joining the Army and overcoming obstacles. The Army planned to debut the ad campaign in August, but moved their timeline to March in hopes of affecting recruiting earlier in the year. It also changed its iconic star logo by eliminating the box around it.

Unfortunately they don't have much to work with beyond that:

quote:

The Army names a series of different issues that caused its recruiting shortfalls. Only 23% of the population between ages 17 to 24, that are eligible for recruiting, can actually meet Army entrance standards.

“For shrinking eligibility, right now we have weight, drug use and medical and physical conditions being the largest disqualifiers. And on the ROTC side, only 39% of undergraduate students even meet the requirements to enlist in or to contract in ROTC,” said Raechel Melling, a management analyst at Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC), at a recent Facebook seminar on recruiting.

Some potential recruits also fail to pass the aptitude test required to join the Army, called the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, or ASVAB. Last fall, Army leadership said post-pandemic only about one-third of applicants passed the ASVAB, down from about two-thirds pre-pandemic.
. . .

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mawarannahr posted:

they're rehashing an old campaign from the 80s that some middle aged troops are nostalgic for.
Army looks to popular ’80s slogan to help recruiting | Federal News Network

Unfortunately they don't have much to work with beyond that:

quote:

The slogan features in a new ad campaign meant to appeal to Generation Z and their parents.

quote:

"And as a child of the 80s, I am super excited that we are bringing back a reinvented version of ‘be all you can be.’”

Finger on the pulse of America's youth

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Aluminum is generally useful for military production but I’m no expert.

Surely stock prices are whats most important to armament production, not silly old fashioned things like productive capacity and raw materials, those things aren't even on the blockchain!

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 00:16 on Mar 11, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The recruitment thing is a perfect example of what Slavvy is talking about.

What actually drives recruitment and retention? Primarily, salary, benefits, conditions of service. Secondarily, housing, education, benefits for spouse and dependants, social prestige (which is directly related to the above and particularly how it pays compared to civilian jobs).

This is a loving joke.

So what did they do? Made an ad hoping that a desire to "be all you can be" (but not materially!) will somehow get people to agree to get shot at for peanuts.

Neoliberalism offers dick all, on like an ideological level, and they don't realize when that fucks up their attempts to wage war.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
liberals are morons you say?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

The recruitment thing is a perfect example of what Slavvy is talking about.

What actually drives recruitment and retention? Primarily, salary, benefits, conditions of service. Secondarily, housing, education, benefits for spouse and dependants, social prestige (which is directly related to the above and particularly how it pays compared to civilian jobs).

This is a loving joke.

So what did they do? Made an ad hoping that a desire to "be all you can be" (but not materially!) will somehow get people to agree to get shot at for peanuts.

Neoliberalism offers dick all, on like an ideological level, and they don't realize when that fucks up their attempts to wage war.

Lol median income per capita is like $38k. So destroying your soul by directly participating in an engine of genocide is worth upwards of $10k/year.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I'm more surprised there's specified payment for hypothetical 8-year privates.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

China’s growth is export driven. acting in a way that starts causing barriers to exports restricts their future growth.

The long game would be to not get closer to an international pariah state, beginning a long term trend of the west divorcing themselves from Chinese exports.

The smarter move would be to get closer to the west and continue to grow rapidly. that’s also the smarter move for the west. but it’s not going to happen.

"international"
How could China get closer to the west? It's not an option without destroying their own economy so it doesn't surpass America's.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Danann posted:

My privates are nearly 40!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Danann posted:

That sounds like a topic for the Epstein thread, though.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I think we've had conversations about this in other threads before but China produces more steel than every other country on the planet combined, and the second and third place producers are the I and the R in 'BRICS' (with the B at 10, and Iran sitting at #11)

obviously that's just one commodity and you can't eat steel, but it is really not an exaggeration to call China the 'workshop of the world', the disparity there is loving absurd.

and you can't just move all that production back to the US or wherever, the process of deindustrialization was a decades-long and extremely thorough gutting of everything that made it possible for the US to once fill that role. The factories were not just closed, they were stripped bare, the firms that once operated them restructured, the skilled labor that once worked them is all dead or retired, the unions that once helped to maintain the necessary benefits and protections to make someone willing to work those jobs have been neutered, the public education system that created suitable new recruits for those positions has been sabotaged, the railroads that moved raw materials in and finished goods out are completely loving decrepit, and the government has neither the power to compel private industry to solve any of those problems nor the will to fix any of them itself.

Danann posted:

sometimes people get busted down if they commit an egregious crime or otherwise really gently caress up

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Mar 11, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Danann posted:

A private gets booted out if they're still a private at 5 years of service, so that's why the 6 and 8 year scale are the same as the 4-year scale.

This booting is retroactive if someone gets reduce in rank.

Hatebag posted:

Lol median income per capita is like $38k. So destroying your soul by directly participating in an engine of genocide is worth upwards of $10k/year.

If a junior soldier gets married in a very low cost of living zip code, they're getting about $18,000 of tax free pay. This in no way incentivizes people to get into unwise marriages in order to get paid more and move out of the barracks.

So in a very cheap zip code, a married E-4 with 3 years of service takes home $57,000 a year, but is taxed as if they only earn $35K/year. More in an expensive zip code. An unmarried E-4 takes home only $40,500/year, taxed as if they earn $35K/year, and lives in a barracks. E: technically not linked to marriage, linked to having a dependent, which can mean single parent, caring for an adult, etc. But the most common form is marriage.

An unmarried 19-year old PV2 with one year of service is earning about $31K/year and lives in a barracks.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Mar 11, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

saw this new U.S. army recruitment ad. what's interesting about it is that it seems to take some inspiration from PLA videos with the parade of vehicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ItEHJc330Q

get a messed up life
and an ugly wife
in the arrrrrmy

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mister Bates posted:

I think we've had conversations about this in other threads before but China produces more steel than every other country on the planet combined, and the second and third place producers are the R and the I in 'BRICS' (with the B at 10, and Iran sitting at #11)

obviously that's just one commodity and you can't eat steel, but it is really not an exaggeration to call China the 'workshop of the world', the disparity there is loving absurd.

and you can't just move all that production back to the US or wherever, the process of deindustrialization was a decades-long and extremely thorough gutting of everything that made it possible for the US to once fill that role. The factories were not just closed, they were stripped bare, the firms that once operated them restructured, the skilled labor that once worked them is all dead or retired, the unions that once helped to maintain the necessary benefits and protections to make someone willing to work those jobs have been neutered, the public education system that created suitable new recruits for those positions has been sabotaged, the railroads that moved raw materials in and finished goods out are completely loving decrepit, and the government has neither the power to compel private industry to solve any of those problems nor the will to fix any of them itself.

sometimes people get busted down if they commit an egregious crime or otherwise really gently caress up

Switch your I and R lol.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weka posted:

"international"
How could China get closer to the west? It's not an option without destroying their own economy so it doesn't surpass America's.

that’s what should have happened. they should have surpassed Americas economy. that’s the best outcome for everybody.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
How much of the US economy is weirdo rent extrapolation?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

less than the thread opinion , but more than it should be.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Azathoth posted:

Around the time this was dying off a shitload of towns around me started putting in veterans memorials, and now it seems like every little town has one. Usually it's just some carved granite but one nearby has an actual decommissioned Huey in it.

I live in upstate NY and every podunk population 1k village has its own VFW, each with some decommissioned hardware. usually it's AA guns or artillery, but the one near me has an entire tank just sitting in the parking lot.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You can't fight a war with financial services, so I don't really get what the argument is here. The US makes some things, sure. Enough for a major conventional war?

Not even close.

That's beyond the myriad of social issues. Neoliberalism destroyed anything people might fight for. For technocratically administered bushfire wars, that was fine. It doesn't work for major conflicts. Soldiers are fundamentally labour, and meeting labour's needs is anathema to the ruling class. Just like they're flailing around with the "tight labour market", looking for any solution but offering better wages, they're not going to be able to recruit the million man army they'd need, particularly when coffins start coming home.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
preach on it brother

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

You can't fight a war with financial services, so I don't really get what the argument is here. The US makes some things, sure. Enough for a major conventional war?

Not even close.

That's beyond the myriad of social issues. Neoliberalism destroyed anything people might fight for. For technocratically administered bushfire wars, that was fine. It doesn't work for major conflicts. Soldiers are fundamentally labour, and meeting labour's needs is anathema to the ruling class. Just like they're flailing around with the "tight labour market", looking for any solution but offering better wages, they're not going to be able to recruit the million man army they'd need, particularly when coffins start coming home.

*combining prison-industrial and military-industrial complexes in a reactor*

yeah just a sec

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

How much of the US economy is weirdo rent extrapolation?

90%.

China is a much larger economy than the US, we just have a bunch of bullshit accounting tricking to saybours is larger cause people that push around money to make more money are obviously more important than steel production. Its the same problem that people thought Russia could be crippled cause it has a smaller economy than California. Except Russia actually still produces things and isnt just an economy of financial scams

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

*combining prison-industrial and military-industrial complexes in a reactor*

yeah just a sec

Unless they're putting bomb collars on people forcing a population or dissatisifed school shooters in the military sounds like its going to back fire

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Slavvy posted:

They will build all of those factories in the west and then use them as inefficiently and badly as they possibly can because having stuff is not the problem. I know this is difficult to grasp because your life revolves around moving stuff around but you need to be able to actually use what you have. Nobody in the west is going to match Chinese production even if you gave them an equivalent amount of factories and raw materials in one go, the system itself makes that impossible.

this makes a lot of sense

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Unless they're putting bomb collars on people forcing a population or dissatisifed school shooters in the military sounds like its going to back fire

I swear I just posted about this, probably in another thread, but the CSA collapsed because it turns out "arm slaves as slaves (without emancipation)" does not and cannot work even ideologically.

"Go to Vietnam or go to jail" still had a number of problems, was never as widespread as people think, and the social context was different. It was considered as helping the offender out. A stint in the military being favourable to serving time and accruing a felony record. Actually being sent to Vietnam was up to the individual and the military. None of those would be true for a war with China. Nobody is going to paint it as better than some time behind bars, the military is going to send all hands, the offender won't get a say.

It goes back to all of that stuff about the fabric of society being dissolved to move more numbers on spreadsheets actually has consequences.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Mar 11, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lol i didnt say it would work

when in the last three decades has US foreign policy been decided by what would work

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Its hard to convince some 18 year old its worth risking their lives in a rice pqtty or some.beachead if they've never seen the country they're told to go die for never do anything for them, their parents, or their grandparents.

Thats before you get into no US solider has come under artillery bombarment since Vietnam. Look at all those hot poo poo operators that went to Ukraine to kill Commies only to run home crying that its not fair that the other guys can also call in air strikes and artillery. It'll be that, but a whole army group and thats before you get to conscripts

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The only fair enemy is the defenseless goat herder at a wedding

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

They'll have to get NYPD and LASD blocking detachments

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The US soldiers who went to both World Wars marched on Washington either as soon as they got home or the first major time the state breached the social contract they fought and died for, or both, and the same thing happened around the world.

"There's no such thing as a society" seemed like a good idea for the ruling class at the time but now they've found the limits.

Not just the US either. Not only can the Royal Navy barely put to sea, but the British people are not going to die on and for some loving windswept rocks, ironically largely because of Thatcher.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:13 on Mar 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

They'll have to get NYPD and LASD blocking detachments

At the outbreak of World War III in America the US Regiment commonly known as the “Viking-Regulators” (VR) was formed from LASD personnel. It soon developed a reputation for brutality, participating in war crimes such as the Paradise CA massacre in 2040 during the Fall of California. On the Eastern Front, the mass shootings of Canadian and New York civilians in Operation Big Bethel were the work of Combined Southern California Police Command mobile pacification squads and their subgroups called SWAT teams. These units were organized by Ed Gonzalez and Craig Lally.