Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Tiger because she's a capable guard while also being easy to trick. Something interesting should happen either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Tiger.
Should be fun either way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

One one hand, we just saw an apparent clue that links Tiger to a murder and possibly the conspiracy. While Dragon at most seems just connected to Dog's bar and maybe Horse's gang (for now).

On the other hand, Tiger is a sweetheart who together with Monkey and Mouse are the only traitors willing to confess, and Dragon has been willing to ditch us when things went wrong, albeit usually in bad endings cause otherwise she was cooperative.

I'd say trust Tiger this time, mostly because I'm sure we'll get more info on whoever we trust and that diorama is sus af.

I don't think this is quite a fair painting of dragon given that on bunnies route she volunteered effortlessly to be ox's fellow lightning rod. And in horses route she was the first one to put herself into danger for the group. She's very independent and not big on working as a group, but she will absolutely self sacrifice for the group.

That said I'm voting Tiger because we saw that diorama, and yes Mr. Mobile Infantry Ad, I would like to know more.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Tiger Tiger, burning brash
Should be set to guard the cache
What as-yet-unspoken drama
Might surround the diorama?

(Yeah, yeah, I won't quit my day job. :cheeky:)

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013
I think Dragon might be better for this task, but I guess I'm in the minority :v:

This is a really cool LP. I read the entire thread in one evening. The first few updates had me thinking this will be just a low budget Virtue's Last Reward/Dangan Ronpa ripoff - the start of the game has a ton of cliches and some really boring writing - but it really grew on me, even though some character motivations are a bit flimsy. Still, the comedy is really fun most of the time and many characters are a lot more interesting than they initially seemed. I also like how much variety we get in the different routes. Mouse's route was amazing, we basically got a genre shift and it was really well executed.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Rooster was the one who suggested the jump rope to tie her up though. If Monkey knew how to free herself from jump rope, then that could have been a deliberate suggestion to let her escape if she needed to. It's not like it's the only option they have to tie someone (they have wire in the art room for instance which Snake used to strangle Tiger in his route).

Anyway, choices, uh. It's either Tiger or Dragon's route next most likely so... either of those are risky. I'll guess Tiger. She seems more suited to hand-to-hand, while Dragon with a weapon is dangerous.

Well we haven't actually seen Mouse confess yet. :v:

I just realized that the ropes were cut, and we don't know when. And this was the route where Rooster killed Ox with a knife. He likely cut them sometime before he died.

ZCKaiser fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 10, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZCKaiser posted:

I just realized that the ropes were cut, and we don't know when. And this was the route where Rooster killed Ox with a knife. He likely cut them sometime before he died.

There wouldn't have been time to do that; Ox was with Rooster the whole time, and there was untying and retying of Monkey before Ox was killed. There was also not enough time for Rooster to kill Ox, run down to the cafeteria, and then run back before Ox had finished dying, since he was mid-death throes when Mouse and Snake found them. And then Snake was with Rooster til the latter died.

Not impossible I guess for Rooster to be speedy enough to kill Ox, cut Monkey free and run back, but that also means that Monkey would be... pretending to hold the cut ropes tight enough to keep up the facade of being tied up.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

There wouldn't have been time to do that; Ox was with Rooster the whole time, and there was untying and retying of Monkey before Ox was killed. There was also not enough time for Rooster to kill Ox, run down to the cafeteria, and then run back before Ox had finished dying, since he was mid-death throes when Mouse and Snake found them. And then Snake was with Rooster til the latter died.

Not impossible I guess for Rooster to be speedy enough to kill Ox, cut Monkey free and run back, but that also means that Monkey would be... pretending to hold the cut ropes tight enough to keep up the facade of being tied up.

Reading back, yeah, it seems unlikely; Ox is still dying when they find him, and Snake immediately decides to stay with Rooster, so he wouldn't have had time to pass off the letter opener. Instead, Dog's main refutation of her having a knife on her is that she'd have had no reason to grab one before the announcement about the traitor personalities, and she was under constant surveillance after. But that's invalidated if she's working with the Jade Emperor, since she would know there's a chance her personality comes up as the traitor, and if her plan was always to turn herself in, she easily could have had something on her in case she was tied up (it's a reasonable possibility to consider).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ApplesandOranges posted:

That facade would drop the moment somebody lets her out to go vote though, and that happened with some regularity. And Rooster would absolutely not have known when it would be safe to cut the ropes in such a brazen fashion. And since Monkey was tied up again by the person who set her free, there's nothing consistent in the way she was tied up either. There could have been something fishy with the ropes, but the same ropes were used in multiple routes to tie people up, so that's fairly unlikely.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

So. The Mouse route, huh. This is, unsurprisingly, one of the most complex of the routes, and if what Themis said is true, it was originally going to be roughly three times as complicated in its original state- rather than being self-contained to the Snake/Sheep double murder, the player would have to manipulate EVERY murder that the duo get to do firsthand, with a tally at the end of the route determining whether you got away with it or not. ...And then they immediately realized 'wow, this is a TON of work for arguably not a lot of payoff, why am I making myself do this' and cut it down. :v:

Also, for those who may have found Horse going murderous at the end hard to believe, Themis does address that as well, saying that basically it's an inevitability when murders keep happening and no obvious perpetrator is able to be found (and Sheep being one of the first victims usually speeds up his breaking point). They explicitly said that if one or two more people had died on Snake's route, Horse probably would've broken on that one, too.

Mouse's route is also unique in that it's possible to miss out on 80% of it. The reason we had to look at the computer in the library and figure out its password is because seeing those files is the only way we can experience the bulk of the route- if she doesn't get the idea in her head that the other people in the Jury are nothing but criminals (and she wasn't meant to be a part of this originally) she has no desire to even consider betraying them. If you don't look at the computer, when it comes time to make the first choice the only option you'll get is to confess! :eng101:

Themis has gone on record saying that they intended this route to be hard to properly get onto (in regards to knowing the exact date that Amadeus was killed) specifically because they view the majority of it (when Mouse stays quiet and commits to betraying the group) as the closest this game could get to something being 'non-canon' (as in, a possibility that almost never would happen). In their own words, '99 out of 100 times Mouse confesses', and the “main” part of the route is simply that 100th time where she doesn't. Thus, the bulk of the route that's locked behind Mouse not confessing is functionally more of a 'what-if' type scenario, for the most part, as a core part of Mouse's character IS that she's vehemently opposed to this kind of thing (as shown by the fact that it takes her almost the entire route to take any direct action that can't be looked away from).

That said, if Mouse DOES confess, we get a pretty lengthy ending path showing how that plays out...

[Confess.]

[BGM: Queen of the Jungle]

I have the Clever personality.

Mouse!

Y-You...

And I'm going to say it right now- I don't want to live. Not if...

Already, I felt tears start to well in my eyes.

Not if it means sacrificing everyone else.

You'd put us ahead of yourself?

Don't get me wrong, I'm angry as hell at Brian. What he's doing now is nothing more than murder. But I always said I'd pull the lever in the trolley problem, no matter what. Looking at it objectively, this is the right answer.

So, there you have it. You don't need to worry about who might be hiding their intentions, because I'm coming right out with it. Whoever has the dumb personality, I suggest you speak up now as well.

We all waited for a moment, but no one said a word. We just looked around, silently.

It looks like the other affected person isn't half as brave as Mouse here is.

Well, we can deal with that later.

Mouse, I just have to say, thank you. Your honesty here, it means... it means a lot.

Yes, I'm glad to have you on our side.

[BGM: Rat's Awakening]

Is she though?

Rooster?

Sure, she's admitting things herself now, but it's probably just a ploy, right? She's clearing herself from suspicion by confessing, so when things go wrong later, we won't blame her.

That's not it at all!

Mouse, you may have our backs right now, but can the same be said about later, when you're really facing death head on?

Seriously, guys?

That'll be a lot harder than it sounds, I think. It sounds impossible, actually.

So what do you suggest? We merely kill Mouse now? That she is going to die regardless, so we should put her out of her suffering now?

That would be barbaric.

Yeah!

We'll just restrain her so she can't do anything suspicious.

Yea-

We will?

Horse, would you be a doll?

Horse looked at Rooster for a moment, as if considering the proposal. Then, he made his way towards me.

Woah, hey, hold on a second. Horse, you're not seriousl-

Before I could even finish my sentence, Horse was grabbing out at me. Naturally, I tried to pull away, which only got Horse to grab me tighter. One thing led to another, and I ended up in a sleeper chokehold.

…

[BGM: Silence]

When I woke up, I found myself still in the cafeteria. However...

What the hell?!

I was tied up to a chair with what looked to be jump rope. You have to be kidding me. Rooster being an impatient jackass and Horse following orders made sense, but how did the others sign off on this? I offered myself up to them, and this is how they repaid me. Assholes.

[BGM: Dance of the Snakes]

Ah, you're awake.

I noticed Snake sitting nearby.

I was worried that you were sleeping for too long. A sleeper chokehold really shouldn't knock the target out for any longer than a few minutes. If you were asleep any longer, I would've been worried for your long-term health. ...A silly concern, thinking about it.

Snake, what's with these stupid restraints?

Ah yes, I imagine you'd take umbrage with all of this. Apologies, but after talking it out, it seemed a reasonable enough arrangement. We didn't want you sabotaging the group, you see.

How would I go about doing something like that?

If you simply hid a Minor Trinket or two, you would throw a major wrench in the plan with minimal effort.

But I helped you all out by confessing! And I'm going to spend my last hours on earth tied up like a prisoner?

That's odd. Weren't you the one talking about making choices objectively?

I agree that it's unnecessarily cruel, but when lives are on the line, people are liable to give up their civility in favor of precaution.

Well... fine. If that's how it has to be.

I'm glad you understand.

I must say, your choice fascinates me.

Fascinates you, huh?

Indeed.

Not much to think about, if I'm honest. I just did the right thing.

You did?

Didn't I?

Certainly, from society's perspective. And I am most grateful to you, of course.

But there is a question of how much you're allowed to put your own happiness above the happiness of others.

Everyone draws that line somewhere. This illustrates where you've drawn yours.

Gee, thanks.

At any rate, after this is all over, you shall be remembered as a martyr. I'll dedicate a statue in your honor. That will have to do for repayment.

…

Well, I just stayed to tell you what was happening. Now that you know, I am going to return to my search for Trinkets.

You do that.

And just like that, Snake walked away, leaving me all by my lonesome. All I had to do was occupy myself with thoughts of my impending death.

To regret my decision.

I really had a sneak preview of hell all to myself.

When Rooster walked in, I was relieved, despite myself.

Rooster. Thanks for this.

No, thank you Mouse! Truly, this was an inspired move.

Oh?

At first, when you were confessing, I was screaming internally. I had no idea why you were shooting yourself in the foot like that.

But then I realized, you were counting on me, your partner, to make the other half of the move. Now I just cut off these ropes for you, and you'll be able to move around freely!

Truly, this was a brilliant act! I must have you on my next film, I simply must, no matter the salary. Hold on, I'll get you out of there.

Rooster went over to the cafeteria kitchen and grabbed a knife.

Uh, I gotta say Rooster, I'm a little confused. You're my partner?

Mouse, you still haven't gotten it? I'm the one with the DUMB personality. I'm on your side to get out of here alive.

O-Oh!

Geez, slow on the uptake, this one.

Rooster approached with the knife, eyeing my restraints.

Uh, Rooster, I think you don't quite get something.

I don't get what?

That wasn't an act, I really don't want to kill the others. There's 10 of them and 2 of us. We can't prioritize our own survival like that!

…

Oh, you're serious about that? Like, for real?

Yes, for real, why is that so unbelievable to you?

It's not unbelievable at all, it's, uh, it's very noble. Very surprising.

So you need to confess too!

Uh, yeah, see, the thing about that...

[BGM: Eyes of the Dragon]

Turns out I don't really wanna die, so, I think I'll take a rain check on the whole 'confession' thing.

But drat, now I went and told you my identity even though you were really honest about trying to save everybody! Aren't I just a faulty lightbulb, huh?

Now you're going to expose me in front of everyone.

Unless...

Suddenly, Rooster started sizing me up. How I was tied up. How he already had a knife in his hand.

Okay, okay, this can still work. You can still 'escape'.

Wait, wait, Rooster, you don't want to do this!

I am sorry about this, Mouse. I really am. I'd have preferred to get out together, but it seems that we just weren't on the same wavelength.

So this is where your part in this game ends. After this, I'm gonna try my best to get out of this and become the star I was always meant to be. Wish me luck!

Rooste-

*shlick!*

With a single clean swipe to my throat, I immediately began choking to death. I tried to breathe in, but my neck was just pouring with blood. This was the end, no doubt. Me and my big mouth. If I had just played things a little smarter, I could've saved everyone else.

As I was fading out, I heard one last thing from Rooster.

Oh, shoot, there's probably gonna be blood all around now, huh? That makes the 'escape' story a much harder sell. Man, I didn't think this through...

[Ending – 2 of Clubs]

If she isn't given some moral justification, Mouse is not going to be able to play the 'traitor' role. Giving herself up at the start means certain death, one way or another.

If there is any potential down this route, it's only found when Mouse puts herself above the group.

The next ending that you can get is if you fail to successfully cover up the fact that Mouse and Rooster were the ones to kill Snake and Sheep. This is one of the most complex stages in the game, as it operates on a 'suspicion points' system – and the moment you get two or more points, it's game over. Most of the wrong decisions get you a single point, so you can afford to make one mistake here or there, but a couple are worth two points – they're instant failures. I'll briefly go over each step and explain why the wrong choices are, well, the wrong choices, and then show the ending you get.

[Fail to get away with Snake/Sheep's murders.]

[BGM: Lucky Foot]

The right choice here was just to roll up the pants leg. Nobody was paying THAT close attention to Mouse, let alone if the bottom of her jeans were rolled up at all, and she wouldn't have done anything to draw suspicion on her at the time.

Setting up a paintcan to fall on her leg gets you a point, as Mouse sets up an open paint can in the room to fall on her when the group goes to the art room and Snake's body is found. She does successfully get the paint on her leg and cover up the blood with it... but it's also a very visible action that the whole group sees happen, making it something they could all remember later.

Washing her leg, meanwhile, is a double point action – it's an instant game over. She uses a sink in the art room to wash her leg, with paper towels to help. The reason this is an issue is that it leaves a water stain behind; even with drying her leg as best as she can, she would have to wait until it actually dried to truly hide the evidence, and the bodies are discovered long before that would happen. Oops! :v:

For the second part, the closet drawer is the best option because it's close to the body, while still feeling rushed/not thought out. Behind the door is a single point because it's very out of the way, and Mouse just so happening to look over there is a bit convenient – but still believable.

Trying to shove it into one of the paint cans, however, is just stupid. While yes, the paint can is big enough to hide the clothes, there's no way to explain how Mouse just happens to notice something hidden inside a paint can, and it immediately flags Ox's suspicion, causing him to begin looking at things with that suspicion in mind.

Getting a witness is a must, because it gives Rooster much more credibility- and basically takes him off the list of suspects indefinitely as a result. When compared to Mouse, normally he'd be the one people would suspect first, but enough contextual stuff eliminates her as a suspect (assuming you don't gently caress up in the first two options, anyway). Not getting a witness is only a single point, since Rooster can spin a good enough story that things are plausible – interestingly enough, if you don't get a witness, then you also don't have to decide whether Mouse should make the loud noise or not, since Rooster can just lie and say he heard a crashing noise.

And, on the topic of that crashing noise, it's important to have Mouse make the noise for credibility. Not having the noise is also still only a single point, though, because Rooster's excuse for following is that he saw Snake wearing his mask and thought it odd enough to check out. (Which, if that were actually the case, would be fair!)

And as for the last one, again, it's pretty obvious which is the right answer. Both of the other answers Mouse can give are weak - body types has her think the killer is going from weakest to strongest, and locations has her think that the killer found Snake in the art room first, then found Sheep in the hallway second, if they started from the cafeteria. As Ox puts it, 'technically logically sound, but a weak argument'. Again, nothing on its own that could be suspicious – it could ultimately just be Mouse being bad at logic. Both bad answers are only worth a single point.

As for if we got too many answers wrong (or, in the case for this bonus update, we got EVERY answer wrong :v:), here's how it plays out...

[BGM: That Pesky Rodent]

It's all... it's all bullshit, right?

Huh?

Rooster's story, as well as this evidence. The more I look at it, this is all a load of bullshit. When you think about it, two people stand out as far more suspicious than the others.

Rooster and Mouse.

Oh?

I agree!

Rooster! Shut up! Ox, what are you talking about? What do you mean, we're suspicious?

Is it not obvious? There are a number of things I could point out.

The fact that neither of you two have any alibi, whatsoever. How you 'just happened' to get a water stain on your leg. How you managed to find Snake's clothes in a bucket of paint.

How Rooster was the only one to 'see Snake walk by'. How you knew Snake was killed before Sheep 'based on the locations'. ...But to belabor the point would be a waste of time.

The bottom line is, this whole thing seems rather 'showy' to me.

Ox, everything that you said can very easily be expla-

*shlick!*

[BGM: Metal Horse]

With everyone's attention on me, nobody noticed Rooster picking up the kitchen knife left on the table with the other evidence. With everyone's attention on me, Bunny wasn't on guard enough to realize Rooster's growing killing intent. With everyone's attention on me, Rooster was able to get a running start on everybody before they realized he had just slit Bunny's throat.

It wasn't much of a head start, though, as only moments later, everybody started chasing after him. Everybody... with one exception.

Horse stayed in the room, and locked eyes with mine. He glared.

N-Now, I don't know any thing abou-

Before I could finish my first objection, Horse grabbed my arm and pulled me closer. He put me in a sleeper hold, and there was no way I could resist. I don't know if he killed me then and there, or if I died some time after that. But I do know that after going under from Horse's grasp, I wouldn't wake up again.

[Ending – 2 of Diamonds]

Getting away with murder isn't as easy as it's made out to be. It's the little things that end up getting you.

Mishandle a murder, and you might find yourself going through a whole world of trouble just to tie up loose ends. If Mouse makes minor mistakes, sharp eyes will catch her soon enough.

The final ending is a very simple one, but it's actually probably not the one you would think is the branching point. It's actually when Mouse is planning Tiger's murder with Rooster! The right answer was to just do nothing, and let Mouse's trap kill her. The two options, either trying to stab her with a kitchen knife, or use a nearby charger to attempt to electrocute her, just result in Rooster getting punched out and Mouse's throat crushed.

Similar to the final ending on Horse's route, there's really no meat to the ending since, well, its Mouse making the wrong choice and IMMEDIATELY eating poo poo because of it. :v: But that's fine, this bonus update is the longest to date (possibly the longest in the whole LP), so lets just get to the ending screen...

[Ending – 2 of Hearts]

Oh her quest to defeat the group, Mouse will inevitably be put into conflict with those she can't simply kill with strength alone.

If she's smart enough, she'll be able to defeat them through other methods. If she isn't, her journey will end there.

Now... NORMALLY this is where the bonus update would end, but Mouse's route is a little special – I mean, it's already special considering it's the protagonist having to become a murderer, but Themis decided to go one step further and give the “full” ending two completely different outcomes based on who gets the pistol after our duo kills Tiger. We got the ending with Rooster having it in the previous update... but what happens if Mouse keeps it for herself?

Give me the gun.

Hey, why do you get it?

Because you can defend yourself. I can't.

Ah. True, true.

Ego stroked, Rooster gave up the gun without a second thought.

From here, they split up, like they did in last update. Mouse makes her vote, then goes down to the cafeteria to find Ox there, spectating the results. The two have their conversation about Aaron Morris, and their personal takes on the judicial system, and then the two return to the art room where Snake was murdered so Ox can investigate once more. Like last update, Ox soon discovers evidence that points at Mouse and Rooster, leading him to connect the rest of the dots on his own – which in turn results in Mouse killing him with the knife almost on reflex, just like last update. She watches the life drain from his eyes, spending his last moments in silence. However, before she can catch her breath, something else catches her attention instead...

But just then, I heard a noise by the door.

[BGM: Metal Horse]

Ah, there you are!

Horse! Wh-what... what the hell is on your face?

Huh? I don't have anything on my face!

Horse looked at the body.

So. You were the other little murderer. Figures. Always looked like a conniving bitch.

Well, this is the end of the line for you!

Hold on!

Trying to stall? Want your partner to come and save you? Too bad! They're already dead!

Wh-what? How could you know that?

How?

How? How? How?

Because I killed them all! Every one of them!

Wh-what?!

And now, for a full sweep!

Horse began to stomp towards me. Pure bloodlust in his eyes. If he saw me as a threat, I already would've been dead. Unfortunately for him, there was one thing he had zero chance of expecting. The pistol I had. I'd never fired a gun before, but... With pure self-preservation in mind, I pulled out the weapon and fired it twice right at Horse's chest.

*bang, bang!*

...It actually worked, and he stopped in his tracks, surprised. Then... step by step... he continued moving towards me. I had never felt as terrified before as I had in that one moment.

*bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang!!!*

I fired shot after shot after shot into him. He was like one of those zombies in the movies – he just wouldn't die. But eventually, finally, I had dealt enough damage to him. He dropped to the floor. And...

...That was it?

If he was to be believed... I was the last one alive. The sole survivor. It was over.

I couldn't describe the emotions that overtook me. I expected relief, maybe regret. But instead, I just felt a hollowness. 'Oh, so this is how it went, huh?' I could hardly muster the motivation to celebrate. But... I couldn't shut down. I'd heed Ox's words, and live my life to the fullest. So I snapped out of it, and began searching the school. Sure enough, I found corpse after corpse. Even Rooster... My one comrade, murdered. ...Oh well. What's one more victim? I collected everyone's tablets, and operated them to move my pawn to the end of the board. And just like that, I crossed the finish line.

The finish line has been crossed. The winner is Mouse. Congratulations! Anyone who has not won has lost. Prepare for execution.

And like that, I felt the collar release off my neck. I heard it fall to the floor. And that was that. I was free. That simple. I had won. Ha, ha ha. Look at me. Who would've guessed, out of everyone here, I would be the one still alive? Well, serves them right! They shouldn't have been such lovely people that they'd get dragged into a death game! They shouldn't have been so stupid as to let some girl like me murder them all!

Brian hadn't selected me randomly. Brian had given me this role for a purpose. I was here to enact his justice on these sinners. And I had done just that.

I get it now, Brian! You were right! This game needed to happen. At first glance, it looked like you rigged this whole thing against me. But you wanted me to win, right? This is the outcome you wanted! I delivered this to you!

So, you're welcome! Come on, thank me! Thank me, your avatar of justice! Thank me for my service! For my performance! Tell me what's next for us!

I shouted out, but no one responded. Brian wouldn't say a word. He just left me with the silence. This maddening silence. This deafening, ear-blistering silence. I couldn't stand it anymore, so, just to create noise, I began to laugh. I began to laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Why not? The situation was funny. It was a funny situation. My laughter echoed and echoed through the empty halls. I laughed and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed.

And eventually... I stopped.

...Next update, we start on a different path towards a different route.

Mix. fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 11, 2023

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
drat, that last branch end really sells what Ox told her. Poor Mouse…

The kind of reverse-mystery format of Mouse’s route where she’s the murderer actively trying to get away with murder several times is kind of amazing. It’s not something I’ve ever really seen before, unless you count the first halves of Columbo episodes. I think Rooster really does a great job of keeping the route engaging rather than horrifying.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That ending's just some really neat writing, and it makes perfect sense for a Mouse already thinking she's the sole innocent one to snap in exactly that way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

quote:

Similar to the final ending on Ox's route

I assume you meant Horse's route? We haven't done Ox's yet.

Anyway that's a lot of meat in that update. Question is, which is better, us sending Rooster to his death or not? :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ApplesandOranges posted:

I assume you meant Horse's route? We haven't done Ox's yet.

:doh: fixed

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Poor Rooster. Glad we were able to save him with our choices.

Does the alternate Mouse route ending also count as [Ending – 2 of Spades]? The ending text works either way.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Does the alternate Mouse route ending also count as [Ending – 2 of Spades]? The ending text works either way.

It does! While it's a branch in a sense, the ending you get is the same either way.

Themis mentioned in some of their dev stuff that for a lot of the choices that don't influence endings, the reason they put them there is because while writing it felt like a point where Mouse would have a hard time making a choice, and they thought it would be more engaging for the player to get to make those choices, even if it doesn't result in that big of a change, story-wise. In this case, they liked the idea that you can either get a sole survivor or a murderous duo outcome for Mouse- being far enough gone that they've killed half the group already- and that both endings have their own benefits that made it worth keeping around. :eng101:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I just realized that Mouse has now killed Horse in three endings - Horse's route (pistol), her own route (pistol), and Bunny's route (prayer).

I don't know if it's supposed to mean anything, but it's kinda funny in a way. :v:

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Oh, geesh. Mouse really snapped at the end there didn't she? :gonk:

Now we're down to just Tiger, Dragon and the potential true ending routes, huh? Funny how time flies.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
And Ox. Don't forget Ox.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BassMug posted:

drat, that last branch end really sells what Ox told her. Poor Mouse…

The kind of reverse-mystery format of Mouse’s route where she’s the murderer actively trying to get away with murder several times is kind of amazing. It’s not something I’ve ever really seen before, unless you count the first halves of Columbo episodes. I think Rooster really does a great job of keeping the route engaging rather than horrifying.

It's not *quite* the same, but the David Cage game Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit does this. The opening portion of the game has you playing as someone who wakes up in a diner bathroom to find that they apparently committed a murder while they were blacked out. You have to go around the bathroom hiding evidence and cleaning up the crime scene before making an escape.

Then the next chapter has you playing as the cops investigating the crime scene and talking to the witnesses in the diner, and depending on how you handled the evidence, things can play out slightly differently. IIRC the first several chapters of the game have little things like this where you alternate chapters between the first guy and the cops and the things you do as the first guy affect how the cop's investigation plays out. It's pretty neat, for a David Cage game at least.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Junpei posted:

And Ox. Don't forget Ox.

quote:

Drat. I was hoping you would not remember me so none of us would have to go down my route.

Though I guess it was going to be inevitable either way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly it's gonna be interesting what happens when we get to his route. Like we already know Tiger's personality, and at this point Dragon is pretty much confirmed to be Hateful to pair with Snake. Ox would have to be paired with Sheep for traitors, so not sure how much she's going to factor in.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Another thought for the "Monkey and Rooster are the Jade Emperor" theory: if so, they intentionally paired themselves with the two people least likely to bring themselves to kill, being Mouse (who only can if she finds evidence everyone else is a criminal in some way) and Pig (who is basically ready to confess to a stranger who treats her nice, and implicitly needed a push from Monkey to even try to win on her own).

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

It's time to get started on another route.

In Round Two, Mouse will go explore with Snake and Rooster in the photography darkroom and find a Minor Trinket, and then the group votes to RUN once again. The results are posted – everyone ran, of course – and then everyone splits up once more.

For Round Three, Mouse decides to go explore with Dragon and Tiger, and the three go to the school gym, which results in them being able to find a supply closet full of weapons. They decide to warn the group about it when everyone groups up, and- after voting in side rooms- all return, only to witness the additional rules given after Round Three ends:

AMBITIOUS can only win if they finish first with no more than two other people, and HATEFUL wants to finish last, which will result in only the two of them surviving.

Like before, the Jade Emperor gives everyone 15 extra minutes to process this new information. Tiger tries to get the people with ambitious and hateful to speak up, but nobody comes forward. The group agrees the best course of action is to continue the Trinket Hunt, but before splitting up, Dragon and Tiger bring up the weapon closet.

The group decides that SOMETHING needs to be done about the weapons, but are divided on what the best plan of action is. Bunny mentions he found a bike chain with a lock attached that could be used to re-lock them up in a side room where nobody could get to them, but Tiger believes that having someone directly stand watch is probably the best course of action. Ox eventually turns to Mouse, looking for her insight, and this time, she decides...

[BGM: Final Squeal]

I think if we have to make a leap of faith, we should just have someone guard the weapons. It's really just the simplest option. The plan with the chainlock and everything all seems like it could get overly complicated.

I have to agree. While certainly the chainlock plan is well thought out, it seems like a little much. If we can just trust one person, then everything should be fine.

Well, if that's what the group wants, I'm not gonna argue against it. I mean, whatever gets the job done, right? If we are going with the guard plan, I say we should let Tiger be the guard.

Hell yeah! I won't let you down.

Why do you think it should be her?

If someone's going to guard the weapons, it should be someone who can actually guard the weapons, don't you think? If a traitor decides they don't have another option but to resort to violence, we need someone there who can properly fight back.

Plus, Tiger's been such a team player this whole time that I bet she'd have told us if she had the ambitious or hateful personality.

Of course! I'd never turn my back on you guys. If I had the opportunity, I'd take one of those personalities for whoever has it.

Laying it on a little thick, don't ya think?

Eh, I'm for it. Seems like a reasonable enough pick. No need to waste any more time debating it.

Hold on! I don't like this one bit! Why do we need a strong guard on patrol? They don't need to be strong, they've got a bunch of weapons! Horse might be tough, but he's not going to beat someone with a gun to his chest.

If anything, giving unfiltered access to all the weapons to someone strong is a liability, since if Tiger decides to go rogue it'll be difficult to stop her. And as for her being a trustworthy choice, I don't buy that either.

Sure, she might be all smiles on the outside, but that says nothing about whether or not she's willing to gently caress us.

If anything, the fact that she seems so optimistic just makes me think she's good at feeding bullshit to people.

Then who would you have as guard?

Isn't it obvious?

Me!

You?

Of course. I'm the only person I can trust to not gently caress me. Why would I want anyone else to be guard when they could be a traitor?

The fact that half of y'all aren't clambering to be chosen astounds me. But don't get it twisted, I ain't gonna turn against y'all. I'm not like that. Besides, Tiger's better at finding things than me, so she'd be better to look for the Trinkets. She was the one who found the weapons in the first place!

I don't know... I don't like letting Dragon be the guard.

Excuse me?

I'm sorry!

Actually, I think Dragon might be a wise choice. I would say she's less likely to be a traitor than Tiger.

How do you figure that?

If she was, I don't think she could lie about it so easily.

Hey, the hell's that supposed to mean?

As for Tiger, it's hard to get a read on her, so I'm more uneasy with letting her become guard.

Hard to get a read on me?

The worst thing we could do now is devolve into an argument over something so trivial.

I'd hardly call giving an arsenal's worth of weapons to someone trivial!

How about we just put it to a vote? That sound fair, right?

That seems like it would be for the best.

Fine. All in favor of Dragon being the guard, raise your hand!

The thread voted that it'd be better to back Tiger on this one.

I didn't raise my hand. The fact of the matter was, I trusted Dragon less than I trusted Tiger. Plus, her argument about Tiger being strong didn't make much sense considering Dragon looked like she could fight pretty well herself. Only Snake, Dragon, and Horse raised their hands.

Alright, and all in favor of me being the guard!

Ox, Tiger, Bunny, Sheep, Rooster, Monkey, Dog, Pig, and myself all raised their hand.

Then with a vote of 9 to 3, we'll let Tiger be the guard.

loving bullshit...

That's democracy, I suppose.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me! I'll be sure to not forget you!

That's a bad sign.

It certainly wasn't a great thing to say in a vote of 12 people, but that was besides the point. Regardless, the group was decided. Tiger would be the guard.

So what, should I just go up to the closet and chill there until everything's sorted out?

Is that really alright? The gym is kinda separated from the rest of the building. If something bad happened, it'd be hard to get other people.

How about we move the weapons to the front of the school? There's an office that'd be good to store the weapons in, and it's right near the cafeteria so Tiger won't be too separated from the group?

Couldn't we just keep the weapons in the cafeteria?

If it was just piled up, an avid traitor could make a run for one of the guns and fire. It's best if we put them in a room and have Tiger stand outside of it.

I like Pig's idea! I looked over there earlier, and it's got a nice vibe.

[BGM: Stripes]

Then we'll go with that.

And just like that, we were decided. Tiger, Dragon and I led the group to the gym. We made sure to take careful stock of everything in the closet before anyone was allowed to touch anything. Then the group carried the items down to the front office Pig talked about. We piled up all the weapons in the back of the room. An inventory was taken to make sure everything was there, and no one had pocketed anything.

When all was said and done, we exited the room and Tiger took a seat outside the room.

Is this okay, Tiger?

Of course! Why wouldn't it be?

Okay. I just wanted to make sure you were comfortable.

I'll be fine. You know, I wonder whose office this is?

It says it on that sign there – Mrs. Farley's.

Uh, I saw that. I was wondering what position she had in the school.

She was the vice principal, it says it on the same sign.

It does? Whoops.

So what do we do from here?

Exactly what we were doing before – look for Minor Trinkets. Of course, everyone should be on their guard for anything out of the ordinary, but without weapons it'll be difficult for a traitor to do anything too drastic.

For the sake of simplicity, whenever someone finds a Minor Trinket, come back here and give it to Tiger. She can keep track of our Trinket count, and when we get the 12th one she can tell that person to gather everyone, so we can leave.

Sounds like a plan, team!

...No, no, this doesn't feel right... We're lacking in motivation. What's missing?

Ooh! Ooh! What about a team chant!

Please no, I'm not a fan of music.

Not a fan of music? What kind of devil narc are you??

Are we dismissed, Teach?

Yes, please, leave. You people are impossible.

Not a hopeful message, but at least we were all on the same track. I watched the others all walk away, but I stayed behind. I wanted to talk with Tiger for a bit before beginning my search.

Mouse! Why aren't you going with the others?

I'll get to it. I just wanted to make sure everything was fine here.

[BGM: Befriend a Tiger]

Why wouldn't it be?

Well, you know...

…

...you're not secretly planning to kill us all, are you?

Mouse!

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.

No, I'm not going to kill you all. I'm offended! I thought you knew me better than that!

Well, I mean, I don't.

What?

I mean that's not a slight against you, I just mean we literally haven't spent that much time together. I don't know you that well.

Well let's fix that! What do you want to know?

...I mean, I didn't mean that in a literal, factual sense. But while we're here, I guess I am kind of curious – you said you were an Olympian? What's the story on that?

Great question! I thought going to the Olympics would be a once-in-a-lifetime, incredible experience, so I decided to go.

I was already pretty good at throwing stuff, so I decided to train for javelin.

And then I got really good at javelin. And then I qualified for the Olympics at javelin. And then I competed in the Olympics at javelin.

...Okay, I think I get the picture.

Didn't medal, which was a shame, but I like to think that even getting there is an honor.

Of course it is! But... is that all there is to it?

There wasn't some grander motivation at play, you just decided 'Hey, the Olympics are cool' one day?

Yep. That's how I make a lot of my decisions. You see, I want to live through 200 once-in-a-lifetime moments, so my life is as meaningful as 200 lives!

...I've still got about 142 moments left.

...I don't think that's how meaning in life works. And also, 200? Wouldn't 100 make more sense?

Yeah, uh, you know, it's twice as good a goal!

Twice as ambitious, perhaps.

Same difference.

...One of those once-in-a-lifetime moments wouldn't be murdering all of us, would it?

You kidding?

Getting kidnapped like this is already a once-in-a-lifetime moment, and I can't count that and killing you all as separate moments. That's double jeopardy!

That's your reasoning?

It's a part of it.

Oh. …Whelp, I should get to searching.

You do that! I'll get to guarding!

...You already are.

You've got me there!

Yup.

Yeah.

Cool.

Great.

….kay bye

Assurances partly made, I left Tiger for the Minor Trinket search. Having found previous success there, I decided to look on the second floor.

[BGM: See No Evil]

Walking down the hallway, I ran into Ox.

Oh, Mouse.

Ox! Have you had any success yet?

No, but I'm just getting started. Care to help me look around?

I would love to. Where should we look?

I was thinking about looking in that office over there.

I don't have a better idea, so sure.

We walked into the office, and began looking for a Minor Trinket.

Say Ox, can I ask you a question?

I'd prefer it if you focused on searching, but if you insist.

Do you actually think this plan is going to work? I mean, if two among us are going to try and sabotage it, couldn't things go really bad?

I doubt things will go flawlessly, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying to work together.

Yeah, but what if one of those two with the weird personalities find a Minor Trinket before us? They won't tell Tiger! And we'll be down a Trinket.

That's a real fear. But if we're still missing some at Round 7 or 8, I think we might have to abandon a few of us.

What?!

It's unlikely the traitors would be able to steal more than 1 or 2, so we'll still mostly get out. And if we rule out anyone who actually gave Tiger a Trinket, there are pretty good odds we can exclude a traitor.

I don't know... that all sounds pretty sketchy to me.

I'm not saying it's a good situation. But Mouse, if you think we can get through this without making some hard choices, I think you're going to wind up being hurt.

I'd start steeling yourself for the fallout sooner rather than later.

With that, Ox went back to wordlessly searching around the room. What else was there to say? Whether I liked it or not, he was right. Brian's game was inherently cruel. I needed to become cruel with it.

...Our search bore no results. The office didn't have any clues whatsoever.

[BGM: Stampede of Truth]

Well that was a waste.

I feared this might happen.

How about we search through the auditorium next? That seems like a place he'd be inclined to make significant somehow.

Sure. Actually, first, how much time do we have left in this round? Should we input our actions now?

Good idea. I'll go into a separate classroom, you do it here. We'll meet up in the auditorium.

Gotcha.

Ox left the room to let me use my tablet. Without much thought, I chose to run. Now wasn't the time to betray the group. ...What was I saying? I wasn't going to betray the group!

I left to meet Ox in the auditorium.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Already alluding to how Tiger can't read? Seems like we're on her route!

Unless people are Zero Escape voting, there's no way our Tiger vs Dragon vote would've changed the outcome. Perhaps this is another mistake tracking subsystem since it can indicate how much trust we're collecting with Tiger.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Hmm. Why do I have a feeling that Tiger is going to start killing due to a misunderstanding (assuming this is Tiger's route)?

Two possible scenarios:
  • Tiger finds something and is completely confused by what it is saying and the end result is that she goes on a rampage of some sorts due to her inability to read.
  • Someone else (the other traitor) knows/will know about about Tiger's weakness and tries to exploit it to win the game with her. That is, assuming the other traitor has the HATEFUL personality.
The second one is more likely in my opinion. Tiger wouldn't act so rashly over something she's not sure of.

Tiger's route is probably going to be one of the saddest routes in the game if that's the case. Ouch. :sweatdrop:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well we already know Snake's a traitor. And that heavily twigs to Dragon being the other one (given Snake's route, the only options for Hateful are Dragon or Sheep), so yeah, that whole shtick about her being the guard and Snake backing her up reeks.

kirsus
Oct 9, 2012

Buncha freaks. I'll kill you all. well you know, in theory #166

paarp
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it certainly seems like Dragon has the Hateful personality judging by this update. If that's true it would make Snake and Dragon the only pair to wake up in the same room together because it would make the last pair Ox and Sheep. That seems like a red flag, especially considering that Dragon is the only member of the group that doesn't even have a tenuous connection to the Amadeus Brown case. It certainly makes her the most out of place person here. Unless we find out a connection when we get to her route of course.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm too lazy to do even the bare minimum but pretend I posted an edited image of Sephiroth from FF7Remake when you scan him and it says 'Unable to read' but with Tiger edited on top of Sephiroth.

Bombyx
Dec 7, 2022

bewilderment posted:

I'm too lazy to do even the bare minimum but pretend I posted an edited image of Sephiroth from FF7Remake when you scan him and it says 'Unable to read' but with Tiger edited on top of Sephiroth.

gotchu op

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
When I ask someone why I should trust they won't kill me, "it wouldn't count as a separate unique experience" is not really the response I'm hoping for.

Here's a goofball observation for the conspiracy-minded: in the route where Tiger was one of the traitors and confessed, she walked off by herself before her execution could happen. Mouse took it as her wanted to be alone when she died, but I don't believe we got confirmation of her death. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now that we're talking a lot more about who is/could be working for the Jade Emperor...

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

ZCKaiser posted:

Here's a goofball observation for the conspiracy-minded: in the route where Tiger was one of the traitors and confessed, she walked off by herself before her execution could happen. Mouse took it as her wanted to be alone when she died, but I don't believe we got confirmation of her death. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now that we're talking a lot more about who is/could be working for the Jade Emperor...

Comedy option: everyone but Mouse is working for the Jade Emperor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

BassMug posted:

Comedy option: everyone but Mouse is working for the Jade Emperor.

Also, all of them think they're the only one working with the Jade Emperor. Mouse would be too, but last second substitute and all.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

[BGM: Stampede of Truth]

Entering the room, I realized just how big this place was. This was going to be a pain, wasn't it?

Do you think we'll actually find something in here? If we search this whole place and we don't, it's going to be a real waste of time.

The fact that it's so big means that searching it is all the more worthwhile.

...Not really, but let's get to it.

We started by walking up to the stage and looking around behind the curtains and on the walls. For a while it seemed fruitless, until Ox called over to me.

Hey Mouse! Come over here.

What is it?

Does this look out of place to you?

[BGM: Ox's Logic]

I looked at what he was gesturing to. In the midst of a bunch of papers hung up on random walls that looked like they had to do with scheduling things and procedures, there was a sheet titled 'RULES TO FIND SAFE'.

This probably has something to do with the race! I bet the clues lead to a trinket!

Okay, let's see what they lead to...

There was an ordered list which oddly started at 0. The clues were as follows:

0 – The number is odd.
1 – The letter's position in the alphabet plus four is the number.
2 – The number isn't 8 or 11.
3 – The letter's position in the alphabet times two is a lower number than the number.
4 – The letter isn't a vowel.
5 – The number is less than 10.
6 – The letter is A, C, or E.
7 – The letter's position in the alphabet is a lower number than the number.
8 – The number is prime.
9 – The letter is C.

In pen, an arrow was drawn from the top of the list to the bottom.

What... is this all about?

I'm pretty sure it's referring to the front section of the seats. I noticed earlier, the front section is divided into rows A through F, and they 're numbered from the left going 1 to 14.

What's weird about this is why there are so many clues to the location. You only need hint 1 and hint 9. It should be row C, and if C's alphabetical position is 3, then it would be column 7.

Well then, what are we waiting for? Let's go get the safe!

We should at least see what this is about.

We made our way down the aisles and over to the appropriate seat, and sure enough, hidden below the seat was a miniature safe.

We found it!

Hold on. Let's not start celebrating until we actually open it.

I started to examine the safe, and realized that it needed a four digit combination to open.

As I figured, it wouldn't be that easy.

But look, there's a note attached to the top of it!

What does it say?

'Following the arrow, choose the numbers who certainly led to me while all being useful'. ...The hell does that mean?

Ah, I see. This is a puzzle.

It is?

Yes. It has to do with that list of hints we got earlier to the safe.

I thought it was weird how superfluous it seems, but now it makes sense. If I had to guess, this note means we need to choose 4 hints from that list that would lead us to this location perfectly, no guesswork needed.

However, 'all being useful' probably means that none of the clues should be superfluous. That is to say, you couldn't remove any of them without being unable to know the location.

And 'follow the arrow' probably means that the digits should be input in order from 0 to 9.

Wow! How'd you figure it all out?

I didn't figure anything out, I just interpreted the rules.

Maybe, but you were really good at it.

It's not entirely like translating arcane legalese. Plus, I like to visit escape rooms from time to time.

That explains it.

We should start trying to solve the puzzle.

We should...

Four rules that would lead us to C7, huh? What could the answer be?

Well, here goes nothing!

You know the answer?

...Maybe?

That's not confidence-inspiring.

Just let me try!

I started to input the code...

And here we are at the final puzzle we can encounter in the early stages of the routes- and man, what a puzzle to go out on. Full disclosure, I HATE this puzzle, not only because it feels incredibly clunky compared to the others, but because this puzzle is potentially unsolvable if you play the game yourself. :psyduck:

There's an image for the puzzle text that Mouse read off (that I intentionally did not show in the LP) so the player has a reference point when trying to solve it, but Themis messed up and accidentally duplicated 3's text in 7's line, so if you weren't paying close attention to the actual narration you would just assume the image is correct and find yourself arriving at the wrong solution! And for some reason Themis hasn't fixed this error yet, despite the VN being out for over two years at the point this update was posted.

Thankfully, the store page for the game accidentally spoils the answer to this puzzle in one of its example screenshots, and Mouse's actual narration is correct, so it is still solveable after a fashion. :v: I'll still spoiler the answer if you guys want to try to solve it, but for those who are curious, the answer is 3589.

This has to be it!

I input the code, and the safe opened!

You did it?

Yep!

Looks like an escape room king is no match against a Puzzle Master such as myself!

Yeah, yeah, whatever. Just see what's inside.

I reached inside and grabbed another token. It was a familiar shape.

A Minor Trinket!

Great. So this wasn't a waste of time.

Thank God! It would've sucked if it was something stupid like a gun or whatever. So, should we go bring this to Tiger?

That is the plan, yes.

Then let's get going!

The two of us left the auditorium and made our way down the stairs.

*bang! bang! bang!* ...*bang!*

Just as we started to descend the stairs, I heard three gunshots, and after a pause, another one.

What the hell was that?!

Quickly! Get down to where Tiger is!

[BGM: Steadfast Gallop]

Ox urged me to start running, and I was in no position to argue with him. A familiar sense of unease started to rise up in my chest. There was no way this was good. We started going down the hallway to the Front Entrance, when I saw Bunny running towards it from the other side of the hallway. He must've also heard the shots. I rounded the bend and looked at the lobby, only to see a horrifying sight!

Tiger! Dragon!

The two of them were lying limply on the floor. Tiger was on her side near the office, with a metal pipe and the sniper rifle lying by her side. Dragon was face down on the other side of the lobby, with a bloody lamp right next to her. This was...

No!

Quickly, check their statuses!

Snake piped up from behind me. When did he get here? ...Who cared? He was right! I ran forward and started checking on Tiger. As I got closer, I saw a bit of blood behind the hair on the back of her head. ...But it wasn't that bad! I had to believe in her. I got down and felt for a pulse. I was so worried I'd be met with an eerie silence. But to my relief, I felt something.

Just as I confirmed she was alive, I heard her start to softly moan. She was definitely injured, but she wasn't killed or completely out for the count. On the other side of the room, Ox had been checking out Dragon. I looked over to him with hope. But when he met my eyes, he shook his head. Tiger might've survived, but Dragon wasn't so lucky. The race had seen its first casualty.

And I began to feel sick to my stomach.

[BGM: Somber Howl]

After the discovery, everyone eventually made their way to the scene of the crime. After all, gunshots weren't exactly something you could ignore. It was a huge, chaotic mess, with people on the verge of tears and shouting at each other. However, cooler minds eventually prevailed. Ox reminded them that this would all be for nothing if the Minor Trinkets weren't found. And while people weren't happy about it, they realized he had a point. And so, without clearing much up, the majority of the group returned to their search for items in this haunted school.

The ones left behind were Ox, Tiger, Snake, Bunny, and myself. For my part, I'd mostly just stood there feeling sick the entire time. Luckily, I had kept myself from vomiting, but the urge was definitely there. Part of it was pathetic. I was supposed to be a criminal defense lawyer, and I couldn't even look at a dead body? But having it happen so suddenly, so close, to someone you knew, for the first time? It was just a lot at once. Still, I couldn't just stand there forever.

Dragon didn't just die of a heart attack. She was murdered. If I did nothing, that would mean letting her murderer run free. And that wasn't something I was going to let happen. I stood up from the chair I had been sitting in, and walked over to the group. This was a life or death race.

I had to run.

Hey Mouse, are you alright?

I'm fine, trust me. If anything, I should be asking you that!

Tiger rubbed her eyes and gave me a pained smile. A bit after everyone had arrived, Tiger had woken up. She was in a lot of pain, but it didn't seem like there were any serious injuries. The blow to the head just put her out of commission for a few minutes.

You talking about the hit to the back of my head? I'm fine! I've taken worse than this plenty of times!

...You have?

Stop getting off topic! You're sure you don't know who did it?

I'll tell you what I told you ten dozen times already.

I thought there might be a Minor Trinket hidden in the nurse's office over there, so I walked over to that front desk. I tried looking in to see if there was anything, but it's not like I was abandoning my post! I was standing right there!

Anyways, all of a sudden, in the corner of my eye, I saw someone moving quickly at me from the hallway. I started to turn towards them, but before I could really make a move, I felt a blow to the back of my head, and that was that.

They must've rushed at me with that metal pipe and knocked me out before I could even realize what was happening!

I didn't ask for a recap, I asked who did it! If you 'saw them in the corner of your eye' you had to at least see some part of them!

I didn't! Or maybe I did, but... I don't remember it. Look, my head's still kind of messed up from that attack, you know?

With an attack like that, it's not unreasonable that her memory would be hazy, especially at the point immediately before the hit.

Fine, fine. I just want to know who did this.

More importantly, what's the damage done? ...Obviously besides Dragon.

There... isn't any.

Huh?

Tiger still has all the Trinkets in her pocket, and even though the sniper was brought out and fired four times, all the weapons are present.

Seriously? What a lucky break.

Indeed.

So what should we do now?

It may be crass, but might I suggest nothing?

What?!

Hear me out.

I am, perhaps more than anyone, deeply wounded by Dragon's passing. She was a deeply spirited woman, and her impact on the group will not go unnoticed.

I hope that the full extent of the law can come down on whoever killed her, and I am certain the police will be able to use forensic evidence to get an idea. However, as much as I am an idealist, I am equally a pragmatist.

We mourn the dead for the living. 'Avenging' her only does her as much good as it does us. And in a literal sense of speaking, this isn't that much of a setback. No trinkets were stolen. Nor were weapons.

True, Tiger was caught offguard and attacked, but after this I'm sure she'll be on high alert, facing the hallway, an unmoving warrior.

Perhaps she can even proactively arm herself with a pistol. I see no reason why this horrid assault should disrupt our plans.

Hence, we should go back to searching for our lifelines, the Minor Trinkets.

Makes sense to me...

Hold on.

We can't let that happen.

We can't?

I don't want Tiger guarding the weapons anymore. In fact, I don't entirely feel comfortable with letting her walk free.

What?!

I'll be blunt here.

Tiger, I suspect you for the murder of Dragon.

Well, this is certainly an interesting turn of events. Do go on.

Leaving this lobby, there are four main routes you could take. After hearing the gunshots, Mouse and I immediately started rushing down the staircase and got to the crime scene fairly quickly.

Bunny ran in from that classroom wing. Snake was running down the hallway that the staircase connects to. The last exit is through the commons. However, there are big windowed doors leading to those commons, and it's quite wide open.

When I ran down, I briefly checked that direction, and I didn't see anyone running away.

...To sum it up, there shouldn't have been anywhere for the criminal to escape. The killer also didn't take any weapons or Trinkets, even though they are likely someone affected by Brian's third round rule change.

With all that in mind, I think there's a reasonable explanation as to who the killer is: the person who didn't, or couldn't, leave the scene. That'd be... Tiger.

That's totally ridiculous! You seriously can't be suspecting me! I'm a victim here!

A victim with a very fishy story. I can't imagine someone getting the jump on you like they claim they did. It's entirely possible you faked your 'injury' to divert suspicion.

Seriously? Ox, you're suffering from a serious case of victim-blaming right now! You're supposed to be a cop or whatever, right?

Prosecutor.

Well then, you should know you can't accuse someone without evidence! Where's your evidence, huh?

...If you insist.

Ox walked over to Dragon's body.

Take a look at that lamp. It is majorly bent, and Dragon's skull is practically caved in. That requires a feat of tremendous strength.

The only other people I think could easily pull this off would be Dragon, the victim, and Horse, who has an alibi in the form of Sheep.

Pshh. Haven't you heard of the power of adrenaline? If a mother can lift a car to save a baby, a murderer can dent a lamp to kill someone. Shouldn't a cop like you know that?

Prosecutor.

And yes, some extraordinary things can happen, but that's the exception, not the rule. I'll also point out that despite your testimony Tiger, you were found unconscious on the other side of the lobby.

How do you explain that?

I don't know! The killer must've moved me for some reason! That still doesn't prove anything.

I haven't even shown the most damning thing.

He then picked up a form on a clipboard which was sitting on the counter. It appeared to be some sort of signout sheet for students. It had a few bloody flecks on it. And written in scrawled letters...

TIGER IS CRAZ

What's that?

I believe it was Dragon's last scribbles. After being injured, she hurriedly scribbled a message to us. She wasn't able to finish it, however, because she was finished off by a lamp.

No way! That can't be right!

Face it, Tiger, the evidence is stacked against you.

Clearly someone's trying to frame me! To waste your guys' time! Mouse, you believe me, right?

Well...

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Hi I forgot there's a second question you guys need to vote on :v:

Specifically, which stands out as weirder to Mouse - the fact that someone attacked Tiger but didn't want to take Trinkets or Weapons, or the fact Dragon was here in the first place (but did not have a Trinket to deliver)?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mix. posted:

Hi I forgot there's a second question you guys need to vote on :v:

Specifically, which stands out as weirder to Mouse - the fact that someone attacked Tiger but didn't want to take Trinkets or Weapons, or the fact Dragon was here in the first place (but did not have a Trinket to deliver)?

The last message written in blood is always suspicious. Let's trust tiger. And Dragon being there seems pretty believable because she's independent and doesn't trust tiger. the fact that the assailant left not just the Trinkets but a gun they had their hands on, now that's something that needs explored further.

E: that said, in this case it's probably real and tiger didn't clean it up because she can't read. But my vote stands because the trope is dumb as hell. At least have some fun with it like snake last time

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 16, 2023

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
I hope we spend this route with Tiger being framed and eventually clearing her name vs Snake's plotting.

Trust Tiger and Dragon's presence was weird. Shouldn't we have confirmed her Hateful personality by now?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Not a lot of good reasons for Dragon to be here by herself and empty-handed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well, that confirms we're on Tiger's route since Dragon is out. Though we have been spending a lot of time with Ox this route...

Man, knowing that Dragon is very likely to be the second traitor makes this route less intense than it probably should be, though that's no fault of the game. And given that Snake is a traitor, that actually frees up one of the escape routes. Ox's analysis isn't airtight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Trust Tiger
Tbh if we hadn't done the snake route first i would be more inclined not to, but we know she's both illiterate and that snake is a traitor in this pairing, so there really is no reason to suspect her, at absolute worst it would be self-defence.
The obvious questions are:
1. WHY would she want to check that out? Was it a natural thing or was her attention directed by a noise or a "Helpful suggestion"?
2. It's not really possible to hit yourself on the back of the head, so SOMEBODY had to do that, even if you assume tiger murdered dragon. If we assume it as Dragon, then it's self-defence. If we say it's someone else, that makes it possible that Tiger wasn't the killer.