Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's the John Wick guy and the John Wick movies (and Nobody) are basically a film adaptation of a beat em up game already. I just want to see someone fight a kangaroo ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hopefully there's a scene where Axel and Adam are fighting and they're like "it's hard to beat up all these bad guys" and then Blaze shouts out "you should try it in a miniskirt!" and then they share a knowing raised eyebrow nod.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's the John Wick guy and the John Wick movies (and Nobody) are basically a film adaptation of a beat em up game already. I just want to see someone fight a kangaroo ok?

The Writer of John Wick. I might be optimistic if it was the same Director or Choreographer.

Even if he writes the best loving Streets of Rage script ever it's still gonna be trash if they go with Marvel-rear end action scenes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

The Writer of John Wick. I might be optimistic if it was the same Director or Choreographer.

Even if he writes the best loving Streets of Rage script ever it's still gonna be trash if they go with Marvel-rear end action scenes.

He's writing and producing, which means he's got significant sway over the choice of director and how the movie will look. Neither John Wick or Nobody look or feel anything like a Marvel movie. Obviously the odds are against it, but if you were picking one person in all of Hollywood to adapt this, it's this dude.

quote:

“When Dmitri first mentioned the idea of cracking a ‘Streets of Rage’ movie, I was so immediately freaking in,” Kolstad said in a statement. “And to play with Sega? The 10-year-old me is still grinning.”

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Hopefully there's a scene where Axel and Adam are fighting and they're like "it's hard to beat up all these bad guys" and then Blaze shouts out "you should try it in a miniskirt!" and then they share a knowing raised eyebrow nod.

I hope it's as entertaining as Street Fighter was.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's writing and producing, which means he's got significant sway over the choice of director and how the movie will look. Neither John Wick or Nobody look or feel anything like a Marvel movie. Obviously the odds are against it, but if you were picking one person in all of Hollywood to adapt this, it's this dude.

Okay? What?

Yes, John Wick is excellently directed as an action movie, It's one of my favorite action flicks in fact, but none of the people that were instrumental to making John Wick into what it is are involved in this movie, so I don't know why it's even brought up.
There's no way we can know that this movie's director will manage to do the kind of quality job.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Honestly the bar is so low for video game adaptations that if they have a halfway decent city brawl scene with Go Straight blaring in the background then it will be a triumph of cinema.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Okay? What?

Yes, John Wick is excellently directed as an action movie, It's one of my favorite action flicks in fact, but none of the people that were instrumental to making John Wick into what it is are involved in this movie, so I don't know why it's even brought up.
There's no way we can know that this movie's director will manage to do the kind of quality job.

How can you know who's involved or not? The film is still in the script stage. I'm saying that the writer and producer will naturally want to use the folks that they're familiar with on the project, or someone to align with the action movie vision that he's demonstrated in John Wick and Nobody, as opposed to making some weird CG mess.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm saying that the writer and producer will naturally want to use the folks that they're familiar with on the project, or someone to align with the action movie vision that he's demonstrated in John Wick

Their "action movie vision" for John Wick started and ended with the script. They were not involved in any other part of the film.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If it uses actual martials arts stunts choreography instead of CGI or badly edited composite shots of non martial arts actors, it will be the best action movie of the year and I'll see it three times.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Hire Zack Snyder, I'm imagining the alley fight scene from Watchmen but with Axel and Blaze this time. Hell, if there's any director I would trust to make a fight scene featuring a sexily dressed woman but manage to keep the attention on the violence, it'd be him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think SoR needs to be gorey. The game has you shooting fireballs at kangaroos' it should be goofy, not gritty.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Aces High posted:

Hire Zack Snyder, I'm imagining the alley fight scene from Watchmen but with Axel and Blaze this time. Hell, if there's any director I would trust to make a fight scene featuring a sexily dressed woman but manage to keep the attention on the violence, it'd be him

Zack Snyder shouldn't be allowed to make any game adaptation

maybe Cho Aniki

protomexican
May 1, 2009
I just hope there's a cool elevator fight.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

protomexican posted:

I just hope there's a cool elevator fight.

non-stop Galcia defenestration

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Samovar posted:

Unless they have the gang beating up a bunch of cops like they do in the game, it won't be worth it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

tbh were any of the enemies before Streets 4 actually cops

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If a protagonist doesn't recuperate after getting knocked into a pile of garbage by eating some food they find in it then what even is the point.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Alan Smithee posted:

tbh were any of the enemies before Streets 4 actually cops

No.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SOR4 is the series' best game for many reasons, including that one.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lobok posted:

If a protagonist doesn't recuperate after getting knocked into a pile of garbage by eating some food they find in it then what even is the point.

Anthony Mackie as Alex just absolutely housing a whole turkey.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

What's that? Four-player online SoR2 with bugfixes, good netcode and no use of emulation at all?

I can't say enough good things about it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Samovar posted:

Unless they have the gang beating up a bunch of cops like they do in the game, it won't be worth it.

I think the comic had them going against corrupt cops too, even if you never fought them till 4, the idea was there from the beginning.

It just needs to be a good martial arts movie, I don't think that's asking too much. It'd be wild if they went for an R-rating though, that I can't imagine happening, even if it would be great for the level of violence needed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

An alt-history Streets of Calm where society wisely invested in urban renewal projects during the 1970s and 80s.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

An alt-history Streets of Calm where society wisely invested in urban renewal projects during the 1970s and 80s.

Kind of been done already

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Streets of Rage but it’s really rockabilly and blaze sings but doesn’t fight. Fire 🔥

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I wanna see characters use the same basic move set through the movie, but towards the end as they get better they get into move cancelling or some of the more complicated juggles

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Not sure where the update info with the patch notes will be but hey, big update!

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1634207480124153862?s=20

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Streets of Rage is back, baby! :woop:

I bet this patch contains all the gameplay adjustments that were leaked over a year ago (:rip: Shiva).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's a big fat patch.

I'm gonna have to find a guide that explains those character changes.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Full patch notes here: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/985890/view/3642886460574936108?l=english

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I love how slow the characters move. A lot of people I've tried it with are turned off by that and then 5 minutes later are having a blast since they're otherwise so explosive. It's such a ridiculously well-tuned game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My girl Estel getting even buffer, can’t wait to go home and try her out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

From reading the patch notes, my biggest problem with Estel, that is her cartwheel being way too spammable, seems to be fixed, so I should give her another shot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm liking all those patch notes. Sounds pretty pretty pretty good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Had some time to play a few stages and shake the old rust off. Mania+ is absolutely insane now, it feels like a proper SoR2 romhack rather than just a slightly harder Mania. Enemies and powerup placements seem to have been completely rebalanced, which of course means that most of my beautiful S-Ranks have been demoted to As or Bs. I'll have to spend some time reranking them all back up. It's much easier to carry combos across stage wipes and there are these cursed arcade machines that spawn retro minibosses on certain levels. Estel feels great to play and slightly more explosive, although you probably wouldn't recognize most of her changes unless you are already familiar with the character. Haven't tried out any of the others yet. It's always fun to load up SOR4 and just be instantly reminded that you're playing an all-timer beatemup.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

They buffed GRANDMA PAW. 10/10 patch.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
SOR2 max with Bloodthirst and Glass Cannon is an absolute filthy motherfucker.

Last boss on 32 was 4*Riha :stare: but I somehow eked out a win. Hitting his star move in a pack of enemies is basically a full health restore button with Glass Cannon and Bloodthirst.

The buffs to his throws are amazing, and his powerslide is great with some blitz buffs. We're talking a german suplex doing over 1 full health bar with GC, and I can't remember if he could combo jump kicks off of the rear atomic drop before but going that and power sliding with fire blitz just wrecks an entire line of enemies.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Genuinely think there's an argument for this being the best beat 'em up ever made. It's certainly my personal #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

Genuinely think there's an argument for this being the best beat 'em up ever made. It's certainly my personal #1.

It's absolutely dethroned SOR2 for me so this tracks.