Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Turtle Watch posted:

How can ground

This is a good question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1634334541325164544

i too am glad to live in the united states a country famous for the indifference of cops to cameras

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Ukraine, China, Mexico, Georgia. Hmm. You know I think we can still open up more fronts. Let's aim for a baker's dozen.

https://twitter.com/Democracy4Kate/status/1633940457871798272

Kurosawa Islands

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That's where the seven samurai live

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

mlmp08 posted:

This is a good question.

Very carefully

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Turtle Watch posted:

Sorry do you not stand by the words you have written? Those were all literal quotes.

I only bring these examples up because usually I agree with all your posts and find them good and fascinating. I enjoy your philosophical meditations on the nature of reality. How do we “know” what we know? Are pipelines real, or are they merely shadows on the wall of Plato’s cave? Can one event be truly linked to another, or is all causality merely seeming, just coincidence? How can ground bound mortals be said to “perceive” AirPower, and airplanes?

Should we trust the dubious evidence of our lying eyes when all organs eventually fail us? If a newspaper article doesn’t cite an unnamed government source, can it even be said to exist as the totality of perceived existence can be argued to exist in the mind of a single bureaucrat?

Heady stuff I know, but I appreciate your epistemological approach to this war, that’s why I found your direct quotes that I cited in context jarring.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Osu Islands

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

OwO islands

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yes, but what about the Dokdo islands?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

dokidoki islands

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mawarannahr posted:

I think azot is named after a chemical

Nitrogen. I hope everyone is careful out there.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The FSB is posting specifics about the alleged relief offensive in Bakhmut that's supposed to kick off next week. Supposedly 17 maneuver brigades total have been allocated, including five airmobile brigades (of 9 total), a mountain brigade (of two), two tank brigades (of 7) and the once-elite 4th brigade of the National Guard, with the remainder being mechanized line units. The one asterisk I'd put on this is that a lot of these units seem to be in the Bakhmut area already (Rezident claims that reinforcements are being brought in from Zaporizhia) and that Ukraine seems to like breaking down its brigades into battalions, so I'd expect many of the brigades may be reduced.

Резидент posted:

⚡️⚡️⚡️#Inside
Our source in the OP said that Syrsky is preparing a counterattack near Bakhmut next week, now equipment from Zaporozhye is being transferred to the eastern front. The commander of the ground forces wants to use the experience of the Kharkov counteroffensive and deliver cutting blows to the rear of the enemy along the flanks. For these purposes:

In the Bakhmut area, the Center group was concentrated, which should attack the front: 93rd separate mechanized, 56th separate motorized infantry brigade, 24th separate mechanized brigade, 77th separate airmobile brigade, 46th separate airmobile brigade, 3rd operational brigade , 4th Operational Brigade, 226th Separate Artillery Brigade, Special Operations Forces of Ukraine from the task will strike at the front.

The North group in the Slavyansk direction is concentrated by the 4th separate tank brigade, the 44th separate artillery brigade, the 95th separate air assault brigade, the 67th mechanized brigade from the task of hitting the right flank (north of Bakhmut) with the direction of Soledar. In Seversk, an additional group was formed to strike at Soledar, the 81st separate airmobile brigade and part of the 10th separate mountain assault brigade.

Group South must unblock the roads to Bakhmut, in the area of ​​Konstantinovka and Belokuzminovka (towards (through Chasov Yar) Bogdanovka and Ivanovsky (Red)) 45th separate artillery brigade, 80th separate air assault brigade, 47th separate mechanized brigade, 28th separate mechanized brigade, 17th separate tank brigade. Additionally In the area of Ivanpolye and Toretsk 5 separate assault brigade.

https://t.me/rezident_ua/16762
(from t.me/rezident_ua/16772, via tgsa)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Homeless Friend posted:

all this wave talk makes me want to play from dust

Is it good? Also, I've been wanting to say, Sanders Aran.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военный Осведомитель posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
Эшелон с уже известными МТ-ЛБ, на которых установлены корабельные 25-мм артиллерийские установки 2М-3, а также с ЗСУ-23-4 «Шилка» и машинами обеспечения где-то на просторах России.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/97848, via tgsa)

Someone remembered to bring the shilkas out of the warehouses this shipment.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Danann posted:

(from t.me/milinfolive/97848, via tgsa)

Someone remembered to bring the shilkas out of the warehouses this shipment.

The music from this war loving sucks.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Oh wow crazy I'm so surprised the people of Georgia spontaneously rose up when Ukraine is in deep poo poo.

I wonder if the new government will have read all of those papers that said it needs to be ideologically hardened like Ukraine so next time they fight to the death and Tbilisi is flattened.

Wait until we start reading histories of how the heroic Georgian Legion were independence fighters in the struggle against Communism, their symbols show up everywhere in Georgia, they are considered fathers of the nation etc.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

well, id like to see ol vladdy daddy fight a war on all THESE fronts!
*russia armed forces easily defeats the kurosawa islands without even noticing*
ah! well. nevertheless,

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That person does know that at least several of those places already tried in the past year or two? Right?

You're down to what, Moldova, Dagestan, and Tajikistan?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm genuinely astounded there has not been the kind of antagonism with Russian minority populations in the Baltics that everyone has been dreading for years. It seems like this would be the perfect way to either draw NATO into the war, or risk NATO being drawn in so as to scare Russia into making concessions. Minimum, you'd think a crisis with Russia like that would open the floodgates of aid to Ukraine. You'd think at least the Ukrainian security services would be on that.

Moldova and Georgia are small potatoes compared to NATO members, and it's not like they'd be opposed to radical escalation, sabre rattling, cracking down on their Russian populations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

The music from this war loving sucks.

typical western chauvinism

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm genuinely astounded there has not been the kind of antagonism with Russian minority populations in the Baltics that everyone has been dreading for years. It seems like this would be the perfect way to either draw NATO into the war, or risk NATO being drawn in so as to scare Russia into making concessions. Minimum, you'd think a crisis with Russia like that would open the floodgates of aid to Ukraine. You'd think at least the Ukrainian security services would be on that.

Moldova and Georgia are small potatoes compared to NATO members, and it's not like they'd be opposed to radical escalation, sabre rattling, cracking down on their Russian populations.

Baltics don't actually want a shooting way with Russia, for obvious reasons.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

https://rus.postimees.ee/7714891/mat-prizyvnika-obratila-vnimanie-premer-ministra-na-problemu-nevladeniya-yazykom-v-silah-oborony

quote:

Earlier this month, a resident of Võru, who has worked in the public sector for more than twenty years and whose son is currently doing military service, complained to Prime Minister Kaija Kallas (Reform Party) that her son was greatly disturbed by having to hear Russian speech in the barracks all the time.

https://www.postimees.ee/7714489/ajateenija-ema-viis-umbkeelsuse-kaitsevaes-peaministri-fookusesse

quote:

Marju Mändik, 50, who works in the field of landscape construction and has previously worked for a long time in the tax and customs administration, including in Narva, described to Kalas after the end of the official part of her election event two weeks ago in the Võru cultural hall Kannel how her son and other conscripts in the Kuperjanov infantry battalion have to endure the incessant talking in Russian of four or five obscure conscripts in a barracks where about 20 young men sleep in one room. He questioned whether this could be seen as a security threat, given that Russia has been at war in Ukraine for almost a year.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Weka posted:

Is it good? Also, I've been wanting to say, Sanders Aran.

its sorta just a techdemo but i always liked it and have played it like 3x over the years. i would kill for a modern soil erosion game

its liek this except not as good. smdh reality is too hard too render

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBivwxBgdPQ

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/PMSimferopol/status/1634111915596173312?s=20
:thunk:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that's...provocative

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So I read earlier today that apparently Ukraine was screwing around with shared waterways with Romania, causing them to go ballistic? :thunk:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol Jesus.

Plus, you know, it just fuels that liberal class of compradors saying "See?! This is why we need to confront Russia!". I would have gone with a different tack, plus pulled out all the stops with assets within Georgia to prop the government up and start rolling up whatever networks are backing the protests.

Someone observed back in the Eurasia thread that Russia and China aren't good at meeting the challenge of Colour Revolutions because the pro-Russian/Chinese elements of their country aren't comprised of media-savvy types and middle class media-obsessives. I don't disagree, because the west is offering idk a lifestyle, and so the boring alternative is not easily turned into a social media campaign or whatever.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:36 on Mar 11, 2023

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Horseshoe theory posted:

So I read earlier today that apparently Ukraine was screwing around with shared waterways with Romania, causing them to go ballistic? :thunk:

It's just this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Simion

Not sure who wants to carry water for AUR - right-wing populists but ymmv

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

ft posted:

A small canal at the mouth of the Danube river has become a geopolitical flashpoint between Ukraine and Romania, sparking fears of Russian meddling and dwindling support in Bucharest for its war-torn neighbour.
The dispute erupted when Kyiv said last month that it had dredged the Bystre canal — a Ukrainian waterway about 10 kilometres long that connects the Black Sea with the Danube’s Chilia branch, which forms a natural border between the two countries.

The increase in Bystre’s navigable depth from 3.9 metres to 6.5 metres was its “first since independence” from the Soviet Union in 1989, Ukraine’s infrastructure ministry said, adding: “We keep on developing the Danube port cluster.”
Expansion of the Danube Delta’s shipping channels is crucial to Kyiv’s plans to develop alternative export routes after Russia blockaded Ukraine’s Black Sea ports following its full-scale invasion a year ago. While a UN-backed grain deal to reopen three ports last year was a lifeline for Ukraine’s war-battered economy and boosted global food supplies, Kyiv is determined to secure viable routes that offer more protection from Russian aggression.
It argues that the deepening of the canal is part of an earlier EU-sponsored Solidarity Lanes programme(opens a new window) to facilitate Ukraine’s trade with the bloc. But the announcement sparked a backlash in Romania, where officials have claimed that the dredging threatens the Danube Delta, a world-protected natural reserve known for its biodiversity and abundant birdlife.
Romania’s foreign ministry summoned the Ukrainian ambassador and demanded that its neighbour halt “all dredging works” if the purpose went beyond regular maintenance of the waterway. Bucharest also requested that it carry out its own measurements of the Chilia branch and the Bystre canal.
With the spat threatening to damage bilateral ties, Ukraine’s embassy has appealed to Romanians to “not play along with Russian propaganda” that aims to undermine their support for Kyiv as the war drags on.

Ukraine’s embassy in Bucharest quickly sought to clarify that the works were of an “operational nature” to remove silt that had reduced the depth of the waterway. But the topic has become highly politicised in Romania, an EU and Nato member state that has strongly supported Ukraine since Russia’s invasion, including by hosting thousands of refugees.
Klaus Iohannis, Romania’s president, deplored “inflammatory speeches” and urged fellow citizens to first let experts establish “what is really happening there”.
“I do not think it is appropriate to attack the Ukrainians based on uncertain data,” Iohannis said during a meeting with US president Joe Biden and fellow regional leaders in Warsaw last month. “They don’t need to be scolded, they need support.”
The same week a far-right Romanian lawmaker, George Simion, posted a video from a boat on what he said was the Bystre canal. In the video Simion criticised political opponents for not caring about the Danube Delta.

Ukraine has approved the request from Romania to carry out its own hydrographic measurements on the Bystre canal and Chilia branch to clarify “conflicting information”, said Romania’s transport ministry. The measurements are earmarked to begin on March 15.
On Tuesday, talks mediated by the European Commission were held in Izmail, a Ukrainian port town on the Danube about 60km west of the Bystre canal.
“We [will] do common measurements to clarify everything to avoid any politicisation,” Dmytro Barinov, deputy head of the Ukrainian Sea Port Authority, said after the talks. He said Ukrainian Naval Forces, which will oversee security, still needed to give their approval. “We will speed up the process as much as possible.”

Klaus Iohannis, the president of Romania © Tomas Tkacik/SOPA Images/LightRocket/Getty Images
For Gabriel Paun, president of the Romanian environmental group Agent Green, the public discourse so far has been saturated with “too much politics and too little science”.
“I know that Romania and Ukraine should have consensus before any work should be carried out in any corner of the Delta,” he said. “The consensus must prioritise ecosystem conservation before economic gains.”
Adina Vălean, a Romanian politician who is the EU’s transport commissioner, said the commission had asked both countries to show “full transparency” and resolve their differences.
Contrary to Ukraine’s statement, she said the Bystre canal was not part of the Solidarity Lanes programme, which includes several Danube ports in both countries and had allowed for the export of 51mn tonnes of goods from Ukraine from the programme’s launch in May to the beginning of February.
“The Danubian corridor is very important,” Vălean told the Financial Times, adding that more funding would be made available for Romania to improve navigability and boost export volumes via its own canal, Sulina, which runs along another branch of the Danube Delta and is the main waterway for cargo ships connecting to the Black Sea.

Adrian Stănică, a researcher at the National Institute for Marine Geology in Bucharest, points out that it would be costly for Kyiv to develop and maintain the Bystre-Chilia route. But he said regular maintenance works had negligible effects on the biosphere.
With bilateral ties at stake, he added that in Romania discourse on the matter had become “intoxicated” by fake news and possibly fuelled by a third country, without naming Russia.
Costin Ciobanu, a Romanian political scientist at the Royal Holloway University of London, said that only the facts would enable an “informed discussion about what the Ukrainians did and whether their works on the Bystre canal were a threat to the Danube Delta”.
“Romania’s key interest is that Ukraine wins this war, and should not let episodes like this cast a doubt.”

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I mean it does drive me a little crazy that we have policy papers saying explicitly that on the next go round the Georgian Army will hide in cities and dare Russia to flatten them and kill the civilian population, but how do we turn that into an English-language sign in street protests?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

quote:

[ukraine] argues that the deepening of the canal is part of an earlier EU-sponsored Solidarity Lanes programme(opens a new window) to facilitate Ukraine’s trade with the bloc. But the announcement sparked a backlash in Romania, where officials have claimed that the dredging threatens the Danube Delta, a world-protected natural reserve known for its biodiversity and abundant birdlife.

sorry men students olds birds you gotta be sacrificed so that ukraine can live

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh, they're loving with bird habitats now? Never mind, Ukraine can eat it!

Humans are pretty poo poo, tbh, but check out these good buddies:

And this stone curlew. An innnocent!

European Rollers need homes and protection too.

So many good birds down there.
https://www.birdingplaces.eu/en/birdingplaces/romania/danube-delta-sulina-section

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Ukraine/Russia War: I would have gone with a different tack

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

And this stone curlew. An innnocent!

I was with you until this. Get this out of my sight.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

I was with you until this. Get this out of my sight.

ALL BIRDS ARE GOOD.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t imagine protesting against a bill that makes it harder for foreign governments to control my country

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

I can’t imagine protesting against a bill that makes it harder for foreign governments to control my country

all those people would have to register though

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh wow crazy I'm so surprised the people of Georgia spontaneously rose up when Ukraine is in deep poo poo.

Is it truly spontaneous when the SMO has been going on for over a year now

Lostconfused posted:

That person does know that at least several of those places already tried in the past year or two? Right?

You're down to what, Moldova, Dagestan, and Tajikistan?

They forgot Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

we are all dead and in hell

Worse, limbo.