Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's true I can play video games much better than read when I'm really stoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vic posted:

objectively higher form of art than literature

youre thinking of visual novels

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

In decreasing levels of artness you have:
paintings >= sculptures > poems > books > music > movies > videogames > graphics novels > comics > performance art

That's just the way it is, no use arguing about it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
no videogames are on top because you need a computer for them to manifest

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
shakespeare getting ranked lower than harry potter asscreed huh

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

George posted:

lol at the idea that games are a technical achievement of any sort, they're an art form and that's that

Art can be a technical achievement. Those giant rear end statues, the pyramids, the ceiling of the sitting chapel, and yes, a collection of code so efficient that it wildly outpaces other projects on the same hardware are all impressive not just for the work itself, but all the work behind making it that enabled it to be done in the first place.

E:

Nice Van My Man posted:

paintings >= sculptures > poems > books > music > movies > videogames > graphics novels > comics > performance art

Nah, paintings, sculptures, and poetry go beneath a good symphony or novel anyway. Also, movies are performance art you dingus. A play is literally just a movie with worse special effects and a fixed camera.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 11, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

So long as men can breathe or eyes can see, So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

It's a clear a reference to 1up

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kurosawa did Shakespeare better than Shakespeare. Film > Plays

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

We're living in the gutenberg times of videogames. That's why people have a hard time realizing how amazing they are.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Art can be a technical achievement. Those giant rear end statues, the pyramids, the ceiling of the sitting chapel, and yes, a collection of code so efficient that it wildly outpaces other projects on the same hardware are all impressive not just for the work itself, but all the work behind making it that enabled it to be done in the first place.

E:

Nah, paintings, sculptures, and poetry go beneath a good symphony or novel anyway. Also, movies are performance art you dingus. A play is literally just a movie with worse special effects and a fixed camera.

Performative art is different than performance art! You've convinced me about novels, so we can throw them on top, but you're totally out to lunch on symphonies. They're way too easy to enjoy without creating pretentious over analysis (this is also why Dark Souls is the most successful videogame as art).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nice Van My Man posted:

I don't know if paintings can even really be considered to have "fine artness" anymore, because if you look at any famous painter throughout history the thing that made fame gravitate toward them is that the artist's life story was preserved in emotive detail through things like letters or journals, something which didn't apply to the vast majority of people living at the time whose entire lives turned to ash and dust the moment their funeral ended. These days every single painter's life story is chronicled thanks to the internet and modern technology and what we're realizing is that wow every single person's life is as sad and emotive as these famous painters were including our own.

The only thing that really made most famous historical painters stay relevant is that it was rare for so much information to be known about an ancient person's life and these days it's rare for no information to be known about a modern person.

The famous painters who were famous for something else were almost exclusively famous for understanding physical properties of the paint that others didn't and working out new techniques with it, and these days with most paint being commercialized heavily-studied products that's not really possible anymore either.

e: I mean I'm not saying famous paintings have no aesthetic value or aren't nice to look at or think about, or lack craftsmanship, or whatever, but the thing that made them as famous and written-about and "artistic" as they are is the knowledge we have of their artist's life, not some kind of magical "artfulness" score.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 11, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't know if paintings can even really be considered to have "artness" anymore, because if you look at any famous painter throughout history the thing that made fame gravitate toward them is that the artist's life story was preserved in emotive detail through things like letters or journals, something which didn't apply to the vast majority of people living at the time whose entire lives turned to ash and dust the moment their funeral ended. These days every single painter's life story is chronicled thanks to the internet and modern technology and what we're realizing is that wow every single person's life is as sad and emotive as these famous painters were including our own.

The only thing that really made most famous historical painters stay relevant is that it was rare for so much information to be known about an ancient person's life and these days it's rare for no information to be known about a modern person.

I mean, they're still pretty and looking at them makes the people that are into them feel stuff. That feels like it's still art and purpose enough :shrug:

e: And it's not like we still don't have super famous celebrities that people obsessively follow. They just aren't painters anymore

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

But that's true of comic books and everything else on the list too

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Art is dumb as hell that's why I like video games

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That post on paintings is insane. Caravaggio isn't a great artist because he was a mad lad, it's because he understood light and shadow and could paint a hell of a portrait.

I do not understand what is with moderns and their ability to not only deny aesthetic beauty but outright reject the very concept

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Video games often (nowadays almost always) contain art, but they aren't art pieces themselves

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

That post on paintings is insane. Caravaggio isn't a great artist because he was a mad lad, it's because he understood light and shadow and could paint a hell of a portrait.

I do not understand what is with moderns and their ability to not only deny aesthetic beauty but outright reject the very concept

Artists who understand light and shadow are a dime a dozen today, just like they would have been back then if everyone had as much access to art supplies + as much documented history as they do today. It's not the talent or artistry itself that makes famous painters famous.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's similar today if you try to "make it" as an artist - the quality of your artwork is far less important than the story of your journey. Galleries will not exhibit you unless you can show them where you've been in the past and they feel strongly about where you'll go in the future, the most incredible art in the world would not be enough alone to get a gallery show or to go down in history - no one cares unless you're also providing some kind of personal attachment (generally to your journey or to an ideal meaningful to the audience).

The same is true of poetry and everything else creative. The number of people out there who can write a stellar poem is astronomical. The number of people who are famous for writing stellar poems is incredibly slim - they stand out from the crowd by giving you a personal journey along with the poems, or otherwise are arbitrarily picked by rich influential people.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Artists who understand light and shadow are a dime a dozen today, just like they would have been back then if everyone had as much access to art supplies + as much documented history as they do today. It's not the talent or artistry itself that makes famous painters famous.

You can really see this with the spread of English, not a day goes by where I don't think of how equal to Faulkner the average person's writing is.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Nah, people legit didn't understand those techniques back then. Look at all the medieval art and earlier where even the concept of perspective didn't exist. This is like saying Hipparchus was no big deal because modern day high schoolers can do trig.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

You can really see this with the spread of English, not a day goes by where I don't think of how equal to Faulkner the average person's writing is.

You mean the writer who became famous because an influential lawyer from the time took interest in him and mentored him on how to become famous, and whose life story takes up more than half of his wikipedia page?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My point isn't that these people aren't talented but that their talent isn't the reason you know their names. You know their names and not the names of other equally-talented people generally because of either the influence of wealth, or because they (e: not their art) swayed the emotions of the wealthy.

"If you're talented, you can make it too!" is the same exact myth as the american dream.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 11, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

So you think that the point of being an artist is to be famous, not to express something or create a work of beauty? Even using the phrase "make it" is disgusting.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

My point isn't that these people aren't talented but that their talent isn't the reason you know their names. You know their names and not the names of other equally-talented people generally because of either the influence of wealth, or because they (e: not their art) swayed the emotions of the wealthy.

"If you're talented, you can make it too!" is the same exact myth as the american dream.

If you're talking about talent in terms of a person's ability to execute, then yeah, you can only go so far with that. The second part of your argument might have some truth to it but pushing it to an absolutist stance seems overly cynical. The greats are primarily known for the novelty of their ideas, not how well those ideas were executed. Elon Musk could funnel billions into promoting some dogshit artist who sways his emotions but they won't be remembered by history.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

So you think that the point of being an artist is to be famous, not to express something or create a work of beauty? Even using the phrase "make it" is disgusting.

I referenced fame because your entire argument has been "Here's a bunch of famous artists and you're saying they're not great!!" but my point isn't that they're not great, it's just that you're upholding the pop culture celebrities of a medium as if they're the definition of fine art within that medium. My original post was that "the greats" of painting are only considered "the greats" because of what was known about their personal lives, not because their art was "the best", and that we are oversaturated in knowing about artists' lives in modern times and that the concept of being one of "the greats" is gone, and that painting is a very widespread talent that hundreds of thousands of people have mastered and that it is therefore not #1 on the ranking of what art is the most "arty"

Case in point: Who is the most recent world-famous painter you can name? I guess Banksy probably for most people, but that's more performative art than painting, and Banksy pieces are famous for the personal message that goes along with their existence rather than the artwork itself, and whose fame was very... famously exhibited as something the rich could easily manipulate in a rather well-known documentary. Then you have, idk, Basquiat? Who was famous primarily for, well, him and his force of personality and his ideals, not for his art. And because he's repeatedly referenced throughout famous modern music. Then... what, like, Warhol? Who, again, was not famous for his artwork itself but for who he knew and for his ability to sell garbage to anyone. Keith Haring is in there too and he fuckin' owns but like, the art itself? Simple. He became as influential as he was because of himself, his activism, and who he knew.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 11, 2023

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
playing parasite steve on the boner gaystation

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
video games aren't art but their code is

George
Nov 27, 2004

there is no such thing as art

George
Nov 27, 2004

video games are art and that's why they're bad

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its not that hard to be art, just make something creative and its probably art, its not like its some level of quality you need to aspire to or pull off, little kids do it all the time

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

George posted:

video games are art and that's why they're bad

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

its not that hard to be art, just make something creative and its probably art, its not like its some level of quality you need to aspire to or pull off, little kids do it all the time

if Banksy can be art by putting his picture in a shredder, then, vidja games are art

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

If video games aren't art then why does the code get a copyright instead of instead of one of the other ip protections. Checkmate movie critic man from the 90s.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

But don't you see? Having to know all these backstories and historical reasons why a thing should be appreciated just makes it more art. The more immediately you can appreciate something the less art it is.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I will miss the whole hearted but still terrible attempts at replacing box cover art with a hand drawing when buying a used game from GameStop.

Like tears in the rain.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its crazy how cheap used games used to be during the 360 era. I used to go and take a look in the used section and find some good B-level game like Wolverine Origins for 16 bucks. They barely even mark down used games anymore.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its crazy how cheap used games used to be during the 360 era. I used to go and take a look in the used section and find some good B-level game like Wolverine Origins for 16 bucks. They barely even mark down used games anymore.

I feel like I have to wait for games to go on sale new before the used ones get cheap at all anymore

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

If video games aren't art then why does the code get a copyright instead of instead of one of the other ip protections. Checkmate movie critic man from the 90s.

"It stinks!"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If it can give you a boner then it's art, qed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted: