Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

it would be really, really funny if SA was somehow affected by this

now we'll never get that NordVPN money

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is there still a discount? I need to renew

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SA wont be making payroll on Wednesday. The idiot mods will be working for free!!!

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I'm firing all the tech workers one by one. They walk into my little office and fall directly into a trap door

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

so we should all take every dollar we have in our banks out on monday

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

i am harry posted:

so we should all take every dollar we have in our banks out on monday

i dont think they make haypennys anymore

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

you can't hold your money and keep it too

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

If you like your bank, you can keep it!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dreylad posted:

it would be really, really funny if SA was somehow affected by this

plat and archives had $4 billion in that bank

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

People who steadfastly refuse to identify as working class may still be working class, but its also fun to laugh as they fail and their upper class aspirations are laid bare as idiot daydreams of a slightly fancier wage slave

Watching strivers fail and sink back into the masses they so desperately hate never gets old. gently caress em.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe you should have worked for a proper employer instead of some Silicon Valley nonsense!

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

It did happen. I saw it. There were people that were cheering on the other side of C-Spam, where you have a lot of liberals. They were cheering as Silicon Valley collapsed. I know it might be not politically correct for posters to talk about it, but there were goons cheering as the tech bubble imploded — as that bubble popped. And that tells you something. It was well covered at the time. Now, I know people don’t like to talk about it, but it was well covered at the time. There were people over in C-SPAM that were watching it, it has a large liberal population, that were cheering as the tech bubble came down. Not good.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

It did happen. I saw it. There were people that were cheering on the other side of C-Spam, where you have a lot of liberals. They were cheering as Silicon Valley collapsed. I know it might be not politically correct for posters to talk about it, but there were goons cheering as the tech bubble imploded — as that bubble popped. And that tells you something. It was well covered at the time. Now, I know people don’t like to talk about it, but it was well covered at the time. There were people over in C-SPAM that were watching it, it has a large liberal population, that were cheering as the tech bubble came down. Not good.

lmfao

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The start up people who recognize that they're fundamentally workers and share class interests with workers are good people and I wish them the best of luck getting through a lovely situation. I'm not inherently mad about computer touchers, or even start up vaporware computer touchers - making jack poo poo and getting paid is good work if you can get it! - its the people who buy into start up culture and think they're sculpting the future and above the masses who deserve to eat poo poo

Please scam the rich out of all the VC funds you can get away with while providing nothing of value. The VC people were just going to buy underage hookers and blow with that money anyways.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I just hope it doesn't cause a 2008 style domino effect and gently caress up people outside lovely VC tech stuff. reading more about what's going on is not making me confident in this hope atm

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

lol i was going to post something to the extent of "im a muslim in new jersey after 9/11 rn" in doomsday earlier but i moderated

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Vox Nihili posted:

SA wont be making payroll on Wednesday. The idiot mods will be working for free!!!

a labor aristocracy of love

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

I'm not afraid to say it, what is in my heart of hearts, I hope America slips on a banana peel !

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

whats the most awful and american thing to happen hmm hmm how about the vc gets bailed out but everyone loses their job anyway, and has to apply for the same job for less money

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Al! posted:

whats the most awful and american thing to happen hmm hmm how about the vc gets bailed out but everyone loses their job anyway, and has to apply for the same job for less money

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

speng31b posted:

I just hope it doesn't cause a 2008 style domino effect and gently caress up people outside lovely VC tech stuff. reading more about what's going on is not making me confident in this hope atm

its probably bnot good but i want shrike to eat poo poo so who knows

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

jesus lol i know about the basic marxist idea of class as defined by relationship to labor, and yeah in that way tech workers are in the same class but lol if you think salaried coders are living the same life as people further down making fractions of their income.

There is a distinction there worth making, and it's no shock that is the income level you get people extremely disinterested in anything involving worker solidarity.

Not saying they aren't "workers" in a strictly marxist sense. Of course they are, but if you're pretending you have anything in common with low level wage workers beyond that you're full of it lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Riot Bimbo posted:

Not saying they aren't "workers" in a strictly marxist sense. Of course they are, but if you're pretending you have anything in common with low level wage workers beyond that you're full of it lol

American low level wage workers are rich, to me.

Virtual Russian posted:

agreed, but I'm going to be pretty sympathetic to a coder making like 100k in SF. That is still a ton of money, but I'd rather not just wish everyone be in poverty to prove some weird point.

What do you think the poverty line is friend?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Riot Bimbo posted:

theyere all workers

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
my silicon valley bank is this dude jim i know who will hold cash for me in his matress

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i meant what i said and i said what i meant, a worker's a worker 100%

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
thinking im a true creator of content as a sell my company that does back end server poo poo for a billion dollars

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
workers of the world, unite!

under my algorithm that has located you comrade

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

come on maoists, threaten me with a workout and vacation out in the countryside

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al! posted:

come on maoists, threaten me with a workout and vacation out in the countryside

the chinese intelligentsia was probably still fit for farm work. these people will have to go to the tallow renderer

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I agree, but my sympathies mostly lie with the guy working at sweetgreen who will lose his job because 95% of their customer base disappeared overnight because of the insanity of an industry he had no participation in, short of being in the wrong physical location when he needed a job. The people I have less sympathy for are the people who write tweets professionally for a company whose business plan is like "make an airbnb clone then hope facebook buys it". Not less sympathy in that I'm glad they're losing their job exactly, but that really if you're an adult with a brain you should probably have had the wherewithal to figure out that dramatically overvalued, overleveraged companies built on google ads and SEO and investor hype that don't really produce anything of any real worth are short term gigs at best.
Kind of like bitcoin or NFTs in that if you were able to get in and out and make a few bucks god bless, but if you were caught holding the bag it's like come on man, you had to have seen this coming.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

bro we can do that while still laughing at the dudes who make $3020300004021043103213021312 a year designing an AI that predicts your dogs mood

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Weka posted:

What do you think the poverty line is friend?

Depends where you live. I make 50k living in the second most expensive city in my country, I'm above the poverty line, but I have to work like 50 - 60 hours to survive, and I have literally nothing to show for it. Losing my income would be the end of me. Way too many expenses and no savings, I wouldn't survive a job hunt if it carried over from one month to the next. I am moving somewhere more affordable soon at least.

I'd guess off the top of my head that someone in SF would be in a pretty similar situation, so I'd hazard anyone making less than maybe 35k a year is absolutely destitute. Does that track? Not sure what your point is.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
oh what do you do?

UX design

lmfao real life

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ceramic technician, real old-school rear end job. A mix of chemistry and electrician.

What are you doing?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

Ceramic technician, real old-school rear end job. A mix of chemistry and electrician.

What are you doing?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

i meant what i said and i said what i meant, a worker's a worker 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9z33lasnkU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I fix poo poo for people like this. They never know what they are doing. Fortunately I just got hired onto a proper factory as their head tech, it is a godsend as I'm dying where I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Anyone here not some kind of self-loathing computer toucher?