Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RatHat posted:

There’s way less unique weapon models this time though, it’s pretty disappointing. Just being able to change your armor is nice I guess

Is this part of a series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Khanstant posted:

they're probably comparing it to nioh/nioh2, this is basically a spiritual successor.

personally i hope they continue the games with this combat system because i'm having so much more fun in wo long than I ever had in Nioh.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nioh's reception always read to me as "skip unless you really need more of this kind of fighting right now." I was also ready to write this game off as Darksouls-at-home before I got hooked. I'm enjoying Wo Long quite a bit, despite some flaws.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
One of the biggest quibbles for me is they need to make interacting with your storehouse way more intuitive and afireworks(like, just make it an option on the Battle Preparation menu or something), as well as auto-restocking consumables like ammo, knives, and firepots. A way to customize Martial Arts on your weapons would be really nice, too, even if it's just swapping them around like Ashes of War in Elden Ring.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd have a hard time calling wo long My Favorite Game Ever, but i'm way more than happy with how good the combat feels to me and how well it weaves it all together as a complete package to the point where i'm plenty fine with just having it be a solid as hell game even if it's not something i consider a 12/10 masterpiece for the ages that i want everyone else to try or some poo poo

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Nioh was also not at that level until it got all its DLCs so I'm willing to give this some more time to marinate. As usual their boss design is good and the gameplay is great, still weird that there's no way to 1v1 pvp people but that might come later.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hope the dlc is more like Nioh’s and less like SoP’s

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Wamsutta posted:

I’m level 34 and I can’t do jack poo poo in this level 27 fallen eunuch level. I got to Baishe and died immediately. I guess I went there too early. So then I figured I’ll try clear the level. Well I have tried ten times to beat the main red icon mermaid siren thing in the poison and I’m just getting ruined. They’re so hard to deflect and do so much damage. This level is the first time I’ve reached a boiling point with this game. Shutting it off for the day. I am a panic roller and it’s ingrained in my DNA and it’s how I beat Fromsoft games basically (that and magic cheese) and it doesn’t work here and I’m insanely frustrated. :(

I don’t really know what I’m doing I picked Earth because I found a polearm I liked. I unlocked respec but don’t have anything else I can think of to spec into so I stayed with this. I’m adding water so I can use fast weapons too

Wood 4
Fire 1
Earth 25
Metal 1
Water 7
Polearm Padao +2

Yellow turban champion armor set idk all the armor I found so far seems kinda samey and dogshit and doesn’t make much difference to my survivability? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just finished the stage you’re doing now. Baishe was really annoying to me for some reason. I found her grab really hard to block and I was never sure how to close in. She was probably the most annoying boss I’ve fought so far, if not the hardest. The mermaids are a huge pain too, since they have weird timings, long reach and back away constantly. The second half of the stage has some tough enemies, but they’re a lot more fun to fight.

Right after you finish baishe, you’ll start finding primarily earth scaling twin sabers, which seems to be the fastest weapon type in the game.

I feel like armor makes a big difference. You do need to upgrade it though. Your +2 weapon is a little behind the curve, so if your armor is not upgraded you’ll be really feeling the hits. You should be able wear some pretty heavy armor at 25 earth and stay at green agility, and that offers a lot of protection.

Are you using imposing slab? Even with minimal investment in spell stats, that seems to kick rear end.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Wamsutta posted:

Well I have tried ten times to beat the main red icon mermaid siren thing in the poison and I’m just getting ruined. They’re so hard to deflect and do so much damage. This level is the first time I’ve reached a boiling point with this game. Shutting it off for the day. I am a panic roller and it’s ingrained in my DNA and it’s how I beat Fromsoft games basically (that and magic cheese) and it doesn’t work here and I’m insanely frustrated. :(

In addition to other advice (an ambush helps a ton), mermaids typically melt under sustained pressure. Try to back them into a wall, then keep the wall perpendicular to you/them. They almost always evade backwards with no lateral movement, so the wall traps them.

Also yes, taking a break is the right call. By this point I've generally got a grasp on every enemy type, but on occasion I mistime my evades just enough to get hit. I guess it's the videogame version of the yips? Either way, brute forcing doesn't work; best to leave and come back later.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if you aren't particularly married to any specific character concept, remember that respeccing is completely, 100% free and can be done as many times as you'd like, so shifting gears to a build more suited to dealing with enemies you're having trouble with in a mission (e.g. pure Wood for lightning spells so you can take care of mermaids more easily) can be something to try

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Khanstant posted:

You can glamour any armor for free so you can always look how you want going into a level at least.

The absolute worst part of this game as far as I'm concerned is that it doesn't show you what the armor will look like on your character until you transmogrify it. Or at least that I'm aware of.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

The absolute worst part of this game as far as I'm concerned is that it doesn't show you what the armor will look like on your character until you transmogrify it. Or at least that I'm aware of.

yeah it sucks, and i hope the DLC makes it like nioh 2 where you can spend time messing around with your outfit in a separate UI instead of the extremely clunky blacksmith method

i admittedly don't have a ton of outfits to cycle through, anyways, since 90% of the armor in the game makes you look like you're wearing a cartoon barrel, something that, while entirely period appropriate, doesn't vibe with my aesthetics much

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Darth Nat posted:

haha yeah especially since you need to undo it to try something else. ideally you'd just glamour yourself and look like that until you turn it off or switch it up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
this is just supposed to be a friendly sparring match you assholes why are there 3 of you

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Darth Nat posted:

I don't think it's exactly a damning issue, but it's weird how much of a step back the UI stuff is compared to nioh 2. the absence of an abstract world map with all the mission selection and character/item features in one place, as well as surplus items not automatically replenishing from storage is much worse.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I don't think it's exactly a damning issue, but it's weird how much of a step back the UI stuff is compared to nioh 2. the absence of an abstract world map with all the mission selection and character/item features in one place, as well as surplus items not automatically replenishing from storage is much worse.

it's strange, especially since, as far as i can tell, this is still the nioh 2 engine under the hood. maybe they were worried about map clutter?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Vermain posted:

it's strange, especially since, as far as i can tell, this is still the nioh 2 engine under the hood. maybe they were worried about map clutter?

Another weird UI backward step is that you can't compare currently equipment to the current selection. They had that back in Nioh 1.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wo long continuing in nioh's footsteps of running three to six hours too long

i'm at the point now where i'm able to carve my way through everything without much effort so now it feels like pulling weeds

the side mission where you spar with hong jing was great though, especially when their second phase kicked in

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Vermain posted:

if you aren't particularly married to any specific character concept, remember that respeccing is completely, 100% free and can be done as many times as you'd like, so shifting gears to a build more suited to dealing with enemies you're having trouble with in a mission (e.g. pure Wood for lightning spells so you can take care of mermaids more easily) can be something to try

As water they're vulnerable to stone attacks, not lightning. Somehow.

Also Jesus Christ Lu Bu on NG+.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 11, 2023

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Does NG+ gate levels like Nioh using a percentage complete to unlock the next set of zones or do you have do the main missions again?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Calidus posted:

Does NG+ gate levels like Nioh using a percentage complete to unlock the next set of zones or do you have do the main missions again?

Same as before, you just have to do a certain amount of missions to unlock the next one. If you REALLY dont want to fight Lu Bu again you don't have to.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ah I was wondering why Zhao Yun got such a showing as the first companion despite barely being in the rest of the game, but apparently he’s basically the mascot of Dynasty warriors?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

mistermojo posted:

I guess I could just get good and not get hit so I could keep wearing the warlock outfit

Hell yeah warlock mask 4 lyfe
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1634420643423744001?s=20

Also poison prison mid(?) boss: :xcom:

e:

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I just finished the stage you’re doing now. Baishe was really annoying to me for some reason. I found her grab really hard to block and I was never sure how to close in. She was probably the most annoying boss I’ve fought so far, if not the hardest. The mermaids are a huge pain too, since they have weird timings, long reach and back away constantly. The second half of the stage has some tough enemies, but they’re a lot more fun to fight.

I'm not done with the stage but I just beat snaketits, only took a few tries once I backed off a bit and learned to wait and deflect her tail whips. Also helped a lot that I looked up that Fire counters Metal (poison) so I could hit her stamina pretty hard and clear the pools she throws around the arena. Smack her with a giant spiked mace until she dies IMO.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

as well as surplus items not automatically replenishing from storage is much worse.

IIRC this was added in Nioh 2 in a patch, I think?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 11, 2023

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
there is nothing in the world i love more than deflecting and parrying so i barely had to play the demo to know that this was a game i'd love

i'm not that far into the game yet (just got to lü bu) but i'm already considering doing some sort of challenge run similar to what i did in sekiro. multi-bosses might put a spanner in the works for that since at least in sekiro that kind of challenge run involved deflecting perfectly or dying, and i dunno if that's even possible on a boss like zhang rang...

how's the thread's opinion on boss footage spoilers? i spent a bunch of time practicing against the aoye to get a clean and nice kill to record, but i don't wanna barge in and post it without checking if we care about spoilers in this thread

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

how's the thread's opinion on boss footage spoilers? i spent a bunch of time practicing against the aoye to get a clean and nice kill to record, but i don't wanna barge in and post it without checking if we care about spoilers in this thread

i don't think anyone's gonna be especially blindsided by which bosses appear in a three kingdoms game, so i say post away

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Your Computer posted:

there is nothing in the world i love more than deflecting and parrying so i barely had to play the demo to know that this was a game i'd love

i'm not that far into the game yet (just got to lü bu) but i'm already considering doing some sort of challenge run similar to what i did in sekiro. multi-bosses might put a spanner in the works for that since at least in sekiro that kind of challenge run involved deflecting perfectly or dying, and i dunno if that's even possible on a boss like zhang rang...

deflect or die is just morale 1, so you can level to your heart's content. at morale 20 you do 4x the damage you do at morale 1 so level 1 morale 1 is just masochism and unrealistic IMO (and also bosses are 20 so if youre 1 theyll do 4x damage)

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 11, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Just realized one of Zhang Liao's power moves is the it's treason, then saber twirl from Revenge of the Sith

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vermain posted:

i admittedly don't have a ton of outfits to cycle through, anyways, since 90% of the armor in the game makes you look like you're wearing a cartoon barrel, something that, while entirely period appropriate, doesn't vibe with my aesthetics much

Yeah, I really wish there were more outfits that weren't torn to shreds.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

i don't think anyone's gonna be especially blindsided by which bosses appear in a three kingdoms game, so i say post away

well it's not a three kingdoms character per se but ah heck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvlyc2frowQ

i saw a lot of people talking about this boss so i was excited to fight it. after the first boss this was definitely my favorite, which is why i spent the time to get better at the fight (i still messed up and got hit a couple of times tho)

sidenote i love this stupid hair

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's the naruto-run or light-up sneakers of hair, you can just tell it makes you go faster

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

well it's not a three kingdoms character per se but ah heck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvlyc2frowQ

i saw a lot of people talking about this boss so i was excited to fight it. after the first boss this was definitely my favorite, which is why i spent the time to get better at the fight (i still messed up and got hit a couple of times tho)

well played, gamer

i actually like aoye quite a bit as a boss, though only as a solo encounter - it's really hard to read its intent if you're running with coop or companions, since so much of its telegraphing is done via its face or the front tentacles

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Your Computer posted:

For me, the more we talk about the game the better. Spoilers don't exist in a souls like game.

Is something I search myself... to me all videogames are Monster Hunter. I study the boss, including youtube videos, equip the best gear and prepare a strategy. The ones I don't kill on the first try, really the difficulty of the bosses in this game jump down and up wildly.

The one subsystem I ignore is the element. gently caress trying to match the correct element against the element of a boss like this where pokemon.

Your Computer posted:

/cap. great work on the boss and having fun with the character design

Khanstant posted:

I miss the kusarigama.

Would also be good to have some tonfas, fist and switchglaive. But for variety sake, I would not take these, except the tonfas if they had the superior defense stat.

There where a lot of cool weapons in Nioh 2, the title before this one that recycle a lot of stuff.

Tei fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 11, 2023

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Suppose this is a good time to post this thing I finally managed after messing with this all week (well and also not having much time to play either). Spells are pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru2Onyqg6cQ

I have fun doing this for every boss, but it's funny to see all the people who are zooming through the game even starting well after I did since these take a bunch of attempts, lol.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Beat the game and now I’ve got the daunting task of finding the dragon vein essences, cicada shells, and pandas that I’ve missed. Because the game doesn’t tell you where the missing ones are I basically have to go level by level with a guide so I don’t miss anything. Replaying older levels is pretty quick with high level gear but this’ll take a while.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tei posted:

Would also be good to have some tonfas, fist and switchglaive. But for variety sake, I would not take these, except the tonfas if they had the superior defense stat.

There where a lot of cool weapons in Nioh 2, the title before this one that recycle a lot of stuff.

Game absolutely needs a fists and feet kung fu option and some odd ball weapon like the kusarigama.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Woooo.. another bosss done. This game sometimes is super satisfying.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Against enemies you can't stagger I think Jump attack spam is the optimal strat for the Hammer.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Has anyone encountered any sidequests where it can end in multiple ways, like Nioh 2? There was one sidequest I just finished where the ending felt like a bad ending. I re-played it but couldn't find a way to change things

for a bit more clarity it's the side mission where at the end Sun Jiao comes up at the end to take the key item you get, and he's clearly mind controlled cuz he's speaking like a zombie and licking his lips super loudly but I didn't see any way to snap him out of it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CharlestonJew posted:

for a bit more clarity it's the side mission where at the end Sun Jiao comes up at the end to take the key item you get, and he's clearly mind controlled cuz he's speaking like a zombie and licking his lips super loudly but I didn't see any way to snap him out of it

I don't think there's any other way to complete it. Also that's the evil Taoist in disguise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tei posted:

The one subsystem I ignore is the element. gently caress trying to match the correct element against the element of a boss like this where pokemon.

Meanwhile, this is the only way I've beaten like half the bosses. I actually think it's a testament to the game that there's so many different approaches to things.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 11, 2023