Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Fusion is out on the NSO emulator. Samus being super bulky is going to take some getting used to.

Also lol at the intro being like "The X parasite required surgery to remove, drastically altering my appearance!" But then she's still just regular supermodel Samus.

I need to get NSO back in payment...
I always thought that samus and the suit are practically one entity. The suit is as much a part of Samus as any other organ.

And the Fusion suit kicks rear end and I love what dread did by showing the suit regenerating armour over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Fusion is out on the NSO emulator. Samus being super bulky is going to take some getting used to.

Also lol at the intro being like "The X parasite required surgery to remove, drastically altering my appearance!" But then she's still just regular supermodel Samus.

That is a bit of a mistranslation. She is specifically talking about the power suit's appearance. Since it is biologically connected to her they had to literally surgically remove the X infected parts. Since she was knocked out they couldn't remove the power suit at all.

Which of course goes against the poo poo falling off in a light breeze in Other M

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 9, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
She magical girls her suit on and off normally.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If I had to rationalise it.

Samus can remove the suit herself easily.

If anyone else tries to remove the suit, it's like gently caress the gently caress no.

If Samus takes sufficient damage, the suit loses parts instead of letting her die.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Based solely off the death animations, I assumed the suit was some kind of hard light construct around her and losing energy caused it to dematerialize and expose her to the hostile environment.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
When I was a kid poring over Nintendo Power I imagined the suit as a physical thing she had to take on and off and Samus as a gear-head fixing it up in her ship. I kinda miss that compared to the magical appearing and disappearing stuff they do now. Sure is easier to animate, though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Omnomnomnivore posted:

When I was a kid poring over Nintendo Power I imagined the suit as a physical thing she had to take on and off and Samus as a gear-head fixing it up in her ship. I kinda miss that compared to the magical appearing and disappearing stuff they do now. Sure is easier to animate, though.

Old Metroid art has an almost Battletech vibe.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

ImpAtom posted:

That is a bit of a mistranslation. She is specifically talking about the power suit's appearance. Since it is biologically connected to her they had to literally surgically remove the X infected parts. Since she was knocked out they couldn't remove the power suit at all.

Which of course goes against the poo poo falling off in a light breeze in Other M

I think the suit itself is biological to some extant. X can't infect/reproduce inorganic material, but they sure as poo poo did with Samus's Power Suit.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Yeah like it should take an hour to get bolted into it, the magic concentration suit sucks. I have the same problem with iron man

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

X can't infect/reproduce inorganic material, but they sure as poo poo did with Samus's Power Suit.

Yeah, if the suit wasn't some kind of biomechanical construct, I doubt the SA-X could have done this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think the suit itself is biological to some extant. X can't infect/reproduce inorganic material, but they sure as poo poo did with Samus's Power Suit.

Yeah, the SA-X is just the outer layer of Samus's suit animated by a pile of walking goo in the rough shape of Samus replicating the parts that aren't there. And seemingly later just doing a full-on mimicry of the suit without the need for the broken parts since it started cloning itself. The Fusion Suit is basically the parts that were left over and mutated a bit from slamming some Metroid DNA into them.

There's a weird amount of man-machine fusion going on with the suit even before she gets two different kinds of strange mutant infections at the same time while the Federation tries to pry off anything that looks infected.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Chozo tech being so advanced it looks like magic does make sense to justify why everyone wants to pilfer their stuff.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kassad posted:

Chozo tech being so advanced it looks like magic does make sense to justify why everyone wants to pilfer their stuff.

It sometimes is magic. Prime 3 confirms that Chozo mix magic and science for their big projects.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Great Beer posted:

Old Metroid art has an almost Battletech vibe.

It’s drat close.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Her knee and the knee of the suit don't line up.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

CainFortea posted:

Her knee and the knee of the suit don't line up.

It was designed by birds, ok? They don't have a great understanding of human knees.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

It was designed by birds, ok? They don't have a great understanding of human knees.

It’s completely backwards, even!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The Dread suit is also interesting because, especially in its Power Suit form, it looks almost medical with all the white parts evoking casts and such. It feels like Samus is slowly healing from the really damaged Fusion suit back to something more normal.

I do wish it had kept a few of the Fusion suit's visual signifiers like the arm spikes or some of the more organic patterns to really drive it home tho

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Let's say Samus was walking down a street in her civvies and suddenly a ninja pops out and cuts off her right arm. He cut off her loving arm, man! Then he's like "guess I've got the famous Samus Aran...disarmed!!

Could she concentrate real hard and materialize her suit but this time guess what idiot, the cannon is on her left hand now?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Let's say Samus was walking down a street in her civvies and suddenly a ninja pops out and cuts off her right arm. He cut off her loving arm, man! Then he's like "guess I've got the famous Samus Aran...disarmed!!

Could she concentrate real hard and materialize her suit but this time guess what idiot, the cannon is on her left hand now?

I'm pretty sure she needs the Zero Suit before anything starts happening.

edit: also that VVVV

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 10, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Samus beats him to death with her own severed arm.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Depending on how far we are in the timeline they would have been better off going for the left arm. :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Metroid Prime trip report:

I got the X-ray visor and grapple beam, got the Chozo artifact right after you get the X-ray visor, now I’m back in Magmoor and I just exposed a crazy network of spider-ball magnetic tracks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gods, I envy you.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Metroid Prime Trip Report: gently caress Chozo Ghosts. Forgot about how obnoxious these assholes are everytime you are just trying to pass through. Yeah, you can just ignore them. But still obnoxious.

That said, this game is incredible. I'm glad I put off that nagging "I should replay Prime" feeling for a couple years to have this version.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 11, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Trip report: I've got all 12 artifacts and am on my way back to the Chozo shrine to plug the last one in.

Gotta say, backtracking has worn out its welcome, and the Phazon Mines are an un-fun slog.

Am I close to the end of the game? Also, what is the Flamethrower for? Come to think of it I've hardly used the Wave Buster (I think that's what it's called?) either.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Am I close to the end of the game?

You’re right at the end :getin:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Am I close to the end of the game? Also, what is the Flamethrower for? Come to think of it I've hardly used the Wave Buster (I think that's what it's called?) either.

For when you have too many missiles

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
AM2R is still really good, but the Vita port loves to crash constantly after you get the speed booster! Guess this is as far as I go in this playthrough.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You're near the end of the game and in all my playthroughs I barely used any of the beam alternates. They're not really "for" anything, save making a few enemies far easier.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenomrph posted:

Trip report: I've got all 12 artifacts and am on my way back to the Chozo shrine to plug the last one in.

Gotta say, backtracking has worn out its welcome, and the Phazon Mines are an un-fun slog.

Returning all the artifacts unlocks the final area. Any items you still need to get, get them before going to the temple.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I beat Meta Ridley, that fight was a slog, especially the second half when he’s on the ground.

I defeated the first form of Metroid Prime, only to get taken out by the second.

The most irritating part is now I have to go through the platforming section with the infinitely respawning fission metroids, easily the most annoying enemy in the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Xenomrph posted:

I beat Meta Ridley, that fight was a slog, especially the second half when he’s on the ground.

I defeated the first form of Metroid Prime, only to get taken out by the second.

The most irritating part is now I have to go through the platforming section with the infinitely respawning fission metroids, easily the most annoying enemy in the game.
this is the sole reason to have collected powerbomb upgrades

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
iirc the wavebuster really fixes Ridley's wagon

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenomrph posted:

I think there’s a finite number of Fission Metroids. Don’t be afraid to use beam combos to take them out, since you can refill missiles at the station and they won’t respawn. Pretty much try to kill them all without taking too much damage.

For MP’s second form, you can’t really ignore the metroids but you can kill them easily enough with ice beam & a missile. When he starts spawning Fission Metroids, nuke them with Power Bombs. No reason to even try to fight them. I hope you got all the power bomb expansions!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh I probably didn’t, I think I got… one?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenomrph posted:

Oh I probably didn’t, I think I got… one?

I can remember where two of them are off the top of my head, but I think there’s only 4 total.

There’s one in the lava room with the grapple points if you power bomb the far wall. Another is under the statue you got the Warrior Artifact from in Magmoor Caverns, power bomb it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I can remember where two of them are off the top of my head, but I think there’s only 4 total.

There’s one in the lava room with the grapple points if you power bomb the far wall. Another is under the statue you got the Warrior Artifact from in Magmoor Caverns, power bomb it.
Melt an ice sheet in Phendrana

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Simply Simon posted:

Melt an ice sheet in Phendrana

Oh yeah. I think there was one in the Phazon mines too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Metroid Prime Remastered CLEARED.

65% completion, 15:14 on the clock.

Onward to Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS (played on a New 3DS XL).

Anything I should know about this one?