Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

BBC Scotland can feel free to join the boycott too, because there's no Scottish Premiership games on today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Professional Footballers' Association have confirmed they will cover any fines players receive for not speaking to the BBC.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just speak to the BBC and take the piss. "Yeah it was a fantastic game, it's just a shame that we spent the first half turning a blind eye to the many crimes of Jimmy Savile for 40 years no wait that was u"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"It was a good game, but I would like to report the other team to immigration as they are a bunch of foreigners."

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 11, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

Now we have the BBC coming down so heavily on such a mild tweet it's just changed the light so everyone can clearly see the governments puppet strings.
Can somebody post the tweet that started it? I feel like I probably saw it and just skipped past it when it happened.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

TACD posted:

Can somebody post the tweet that started it? I feel like I probably saw it and just skipped past it when it happened.

This is the actual tweet that started this off.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
And this was the one that mentioned 1930s Germany
https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1633111662352891908?s=20

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

"Oh yeah? Well would the government of 1930s Germany do this??"

*does exactly what they did*

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm just reading this book A village in the Third Reich. It's non-fiction and based on life in a small south German village in the years leading up to ww2. Apparently they have a large amount of papers, documents, personal accounts available. Village is Oberstdorf.
I'm about 1/3rd through.
Shows how the propaganda machine began to work on the villagers.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

On a slightly pedantic note. People keep claiming he was referencing the holocaust. The holocaust happened in the 1940s.

The 1930s was the build up of hatred and scapegoating of vulnerable minorities to take blame and distract from the economical problems that the government (which wasn't majority Nazi to begin with) was inept to fix. And this lead to what historians recorded as "a very bad time"

So yes I think the comparison is very apt.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lmao yeah no wonder I skipped over it, it’s so completely non-incendiary and a bizarre thing to demand an apology for.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Amazing scenes

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1634502028842901504?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Match Of The Day has had a bit of a rebranding

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
One guy in the gbnews studio frantically adjusting an old Subbuteo set to the approximate last reported locations of each player

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Noxville posted:

Was actually surprised that they’d suspended him rather than just quietly let it pass, seemed at the time a poor decision and looks plain stupid right now.
The way the right normally deals with this is for the press to criticise him and print a few attack lines, and then get baying knobheads to harrass him out of public life or at the very least off twitter.

Where they hosed up was by not respecting the chain of command and letting the papers get him killed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

On a slightly pedantic note. People keep claiming he was referencing the holocaust. The holocaust happened in the 1940s.

The 1930s was the build up of hatred and scapegoating of vulnerable minorities to take blame and distract from the economical problems that the government (which wasn't majority Nazi to begin with) was inept to fix. And this lead to what historians recorded as "a very bad time"

"It didn't start with camps"

And then the most disingenuous motherfuckers in the world claim you're diminishing the significance of the camps.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
https://twitter.com/jasonmohammad/status/1634502438064648192?t=Gt1yTIcuP2rjE-36VdCvVA&s=19

Lol that this is what has destroyed the BBC

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angepain posted:

One guy in the gbnews studio frantically adjusting an old Subbuteo set to the approximate last reported locations of each player

Can't they get those WW2 women to wear uniforms & push little men around on a big map of a stadium to invoke British Values?

Meanwhile Vorderperson says;

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1634511784026439681?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They'll just scrap all football content and do an extra six hours of Question Time every week.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Even better they posted someone (Kelly someone?) would do it instead and she posted no she wouldn't.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The British public "I can excuse your defence of wife-beating, but I draw the line at stopping the football"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angepain posted:

"It's chaos out there Alan, Rashford's been trod on and all bent over at the ankles, and it looks like Fernandez has been substituted for a janitor off of the Train set."

E: Quote is not edit

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 11, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My buddy working at TV production facilities said some of his freelancer friends had done work at GB News and the cameras were on wooden trolleys rather than camera pedestals. High class operation.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Needless to say Blackface Baddiel has weighed in with his bullshit. I feel this is the only sensible response

https://twitter.com/iarentspartacus/status/1634235628081561611?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Random YT comment:

"The right wing has always been Lineker's weakness"

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This reminds me of the segments on RuPaul's Drag Race where one persecuted community was persecuting another community.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I mean really 3 own goals in a day
Lineker calling out the govt over their rhetoric & getting the boot
Attenborough's episode pointing out the impact of people on the environment getting 'cancelled' to iPlayer
Fiona Bruce saying the former PMs father only broke his wife's nose & hospitalised her once means it wasn't really domestic violence.

I'm sure there's more.

And all the starmeroids can do is wheel out thornberry and cooper to defend BBC and not take a strong stand (presumably because they want to reserve the right to do the same as the Tories if they get in to power).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm sure there's more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhUWjWnuBjA

BBC News tries to smear Alastair Campbell multiple times by mentioning how hes linked to Gary Lineker

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

It's spread to the radio now.

https://twitter.com/ThatsFootballTV/status/1634517356050300929

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mega Comrade posted:

Not only is it apt, who the gently caress can really look at poo poo like this

and still claim that the similarity isn't intentional? It's not a lot subtler than how Moore described Norsefire.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The British public "I can excuse your defence of wife-beating, but I draw the line at stopping the football"

TBF the lack of outrage over the QT wife-beating comments might be due to the fact all non-tory viewers have long stopped watching or died of massive blood-pressure driven heart attacks.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 11, 2023

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Moore described Norsefire.

luckily i brought over my V mask from the HK protests cos no doubt I'll be needing it here soon

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Angepain posted:

Everyone has to have a hobby.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

quote:

Football Focus has been replaced by Bargain Hunt on the BBC One schedule

DICKENSON YOU SCAB BASTARD

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

and still claim that the similarity isn't intentional? It's not a lot subtler than how Moore described Norsefire.

Not to interrupt the very entertaining football commentary (never written that before) but was it ever explained what the “denied access to the slavery system” meant? If I capture someone who’s come here on a small boat, can I keep him? I can’t see any other way to interpret it!

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Sanford posted:

Not to interrupt the very entertaining football commentary (never written that before) but was it ever explained what the “denied access to the slavery system” meant? If I capture someone who’s come here on a small boat, can I keep him? I can’t see any other way to interpret it!

Basically, if you come forward and say 'hey I've been trafficked and am now a domestic slave / in a work gang / working for a drugs gang ' they will treat you as a criminal rather than a victim.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Needless to say Blackface Baddiel has weighed in with his bullshit. I feel this is the only sensible response

https://twitter.com/iarentspartacus/status/1634235628081561611?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

"I did Ctrl+F and 'Jews' and got zero results, so I'm afraid it isn't like the Nazis and is in fact Sparkling Authoritarianism"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's very funny that they dug a 10 foot hole under rishi and took the photo from the bottom so that he looks tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Hitler used dehumanizing language about Jews and implied that they could never be a constructive part of society."
"Ah, so you agree with Hitler."

Powerful brain moments from Bad Eel.