Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

the backstop for most businesses is spreading it around to more than one bank and using banks that are huge and have a diverse customer base that won't all get crunched at the same time.

There needs to be a hard look at why all the startups were using the same bank, and nobody else was using that bank. was it just inertia because all the VCs that fund them used them so internal account transfers were faster/cheaper than interbank or what's the deal there, seriously. From some analyses earlier in the year by that twitter guy that called this in Jan. it looks like the banks assets aren't terrible but they had a bunch of money flow in all at once, and bought assets all at once, which happened to be the top of the market. Once it's all parted out I'd guess the unsecured deposits get ~85-90% back

This is a fairly good thread on the business practices that led to their downfall.

https://twitter.com/jonwu_/status/1634250754486857729?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

This is a fairly good thread on the business practices that led to their downfall.

That person has a cornucopia of red flags (etherium in the handle, web3 person, Twitter Blue subscriber, etc), but I think they've kinda nailed it. I wasn't aware of the sweetheart loan deals they were giving VCs in exchange for "bank with us too!".

There was also a report that SVB hasn't had a chief risk officer since around May 2022, right around the time rates started accelerating. And the customer they sought was exactly the type to immediately stop throwing money into the bank when rates accelerated, while also demanding withdrawals. And somehow bank execs thought it was right to shove the money into long-term investments. Wrong strategy, wrong customer, wrong time, and kablooey.

I refinanced my 30-year 4.125% mortgage down to a 15-year 2.875% back in December 2021. SVB was probably acting like that loaning environment was going to keep on rolling. With the Fed's interest rate hikes, my credit union's 30-year rate is now 6.5% and the 15-year is 6%. Woops!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Hi, I'm high and stupid; I live in the Midwest, does that bank failing affect me in any way?

What kind of far reaching effects could this have? Could it ripple across the country like that?

Leave fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 11, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Leave posted:

Hi, I'm high and stupid; I live in the Midwest, does that bank failing affect me in any way?

What kind of far reaching effects could this have? Could it ripple across the country like that?

no

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Leave posted:

Currently, no. Its unlikely to go far but no promises.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

One payroll company did run into issues sending out checks due to it, but they scrambled and should have everything out by Monday. Sucks for those who were counting on having money hit their accounts today, though.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 11, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Leave posted:

Unless you got your weed from a west coast techbro startup looking to disrupt the marijuana space, sit back and enjoy the show.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The circumstances that led to this aren’t really something that other banks would do. SVB had a client base with a near perfect correlation in risk/behavior coupled with some really stupid use of deposits that they would not have been able to do if they hadn’t led the charge to lobby Trump to get rid of Dodd-Frank.

Had they diversified anything, they’d be fine. Instead they locked themselves into things that pay basically nothing for ten years. When they had to sell a little bit of these things at a substantial loss to cover liquidity, it prompted a bank run. Subsequent attempts to satisfy withdrawals meant selling their reserve bonds at greater discounts magnifying their problem.

I believe they were still in the black on the books at the time the FDIC took over, so some bank will probably step in to take over their assets and liabilities.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Unless you got your weed from a west coast techbro startup looking to disrupt the marijuana space, sit back and enjoy the show.

On the other hand, if you're beholden to the functionality of "joints.io" in order to get stoned, you probably deserve your impending T-break.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

I believe they were still in the black on the books at the time the FDIC took over, so some bank will probably step in to take over their assets and liabilities.

Yeah, recievorship moves fast too. SVB very well might have a new daddy by Monday, who will happily take all of those VC customers and assets at a fat discount in exchange for liquidity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Meanwhile, in Florida

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1634171012127367174

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Saw some Right Wing mud slinging claiming "Biden" caused 2 banks to fail this week, but only found SVB.

Oh, and of course, Uncle Same pulled an FTX- it had nothing to do with the bank being bad at investing or being a bank. Has to be Biden.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah there's already poo poo about how SVB was woke and therefore Biden is responsible for the bank collapsing when the major trigger was the 2018 regional bank Dodd-Frank rollback (which did get democratic votes).

The main reason I'm having a giggle about the whole thing is like what Mr. Nice! said. Unless there's something we REALLY don't know about what SVB was doing, they should probably get bought or at worst, yield a 20% haircut. The bankers were idiots, but we don't know of anything truly crazy like crypto investments that went to zero. That won't cascade through the system and it will make VC really, really mad, which is a net positive. The worker bees should get paid on Monday.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If all they had to do was chase a minimal return why did they lock their money up like a regular person investing in CDs?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
That's a great question and one that a risk manager would be able to answer, a job they reportedly left unfilled for awhile

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

If all they had to do was chase a minimal return why did they lock their money up like a regular person investing in CDs?

It's part of how banks make money in a typical yield environment. Then things changed suddenly in the last year, and they had not given themselves as much of a cushion as other banks. It's the same reason there's also concern about other banks now, SVB wasn't doing anything particularly crazy as far as banking goes, but poor risk management meant they painted themselves into a corner when the underlying environment changed.

Forward rates a year ago:

And today:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Tiny Timbs posted:

maffew buildings posted:

That's a great question and one that a risk manager would be able to answer, a job they reportedly left unfilled for awhile

From what we know right now, 100% of what SVB did operated under the assumption that 2021 would continue forever. And SVB had Way Too Much loving Money on-hand in deposits:

https://twitter.com/mbdailyshow/status/1634225063737151489

You can easily lock up $80B of deposits if an additional new $80B in deposits is going to come rolling in from new VC startups to cover that investment. The problem is that in 2022, money stopped being free and VCs stopped throwing endless money into startups. No more new customers, no more new deposits, and oops the Peter Theils want their money back in liquid form:

https://www.businessinsider.com/peter-thiel-founders-fund-pulled-cash-svb-before-collapse-report-2023-3

SVB died because they didn't realize money was no longer going to be free. That obviously kills the startups of pizza arbitrage and smartphone taxi-calling disruption - their customer base!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So I consider the details of business and finance to be exceptionally tedious and therefore have trouble following exactly what went on. Would it be accurate to say that SVB failed because it acted like the tech startups it catered to - freely tossing money around to attract VC under the assumption that current economic conditions would last forever and so they'd make it up years down the road?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

So I consider the details of business and finance to be exceptionally tedious and therefore have trouble following exactly what went on. Would it be accurate to say that SVB failed because it acted like the tech startups it catered to - freely tossing money around to attract VC under the assumption that current economic conditions would last forever and so they'd make it up years down the road?

I think it's more people trying to do the 'during a gold rush, sell picks and shovels' bit, which is usually a safer bet, but they loaded up on pick and shovel inventory right when the gold dried up and all the would-be miners started looking for other work. So they had an actual business plan, they just hosed it up. They were trying to be Stanfords but ended up Taboring. A different, rarer kind of hubris.

e: I actually read the Tabor article and I realized that all the history I've read about him was Colorado based (I grew up in CO and do outdoorsy poo poo around Leadville fairly often) but all that leaves out the actually cool part his life as an abolitionist who picked up and moved to Kansas to fight against slavery.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 11, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Again, SVB would not have been in the position they were in but for the Dodd-Frank repeal they specifically lobbied for.

They would have been required to maintain more cash on hand and would have easily handled the bank run. However, they did not hedge for this risk at all because the money faucet surely won’t ever turn off!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Again, SVB would not have been in the position they were in but for the Dodd-Frank repeal they specifically lobbied for.

They would have been required to maintain more cash on hand and would have easily handled the bank run. However, they did not hedge for this risk at all because the money faucet surely won’t ever turn off!

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1634613860823887873?t=EK2YanBM7vHJceCNgJbnwQ&s=19

Working hard, thanks!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SVB would also not be in this position had they not called in their biggest customers and tried to calm them down ahead of time. As it turns out, VC's don't respond to the George Bailey treatment by taking the long view and riding it out; they immediately yank all their money and immediately tell everyone in their portfolios to do the same.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Madurai posted:

SVB would also not be in this position had they not called in their biggest customers and tried to calm them down ahead of time

Oh my god no kidding that would cause a run

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
funds are safu

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Spending money to de-regulate then begging for a public bailout is so loving unbelievably stupid it really calls into question what the gently caress bankers think it is they do. gently caress em

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 11, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Spending money to de-regulate then begging for a public bailout is so loving unbelieably stupid it really calls into question what the gently caress bankers think it is they do. gently caress em

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Grip it and rip it posted:

Spending money to de-regulate then begging for a public bailout is so loving unbelievably stupid it really calls into question what the gently caress bankers think it is they do. gently caress em

The VCs bleating on twitter in various forms of rage and depression kinda shows SVB's business model. The same VCs had their businesses, mortgages, and personal accounts all tied up in SVB. Nothing ever entered into their mind that the bank giving them 25% of the rates of normies might suddenly have problems.

Now suddenly things became closer to fair in a whole loving hurry and they're demanding both a bailout and sympathy.

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?t=vGkcUnD5AajCb1faXvXpvQ&s=19

Should've learned from the Greek Freak.

https://twitter.com/TrungTPhan/status/1634401487593033729?t=HuW13i823IPGtzUMPxEVOg&s=19

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

facialimpediment posted:

The VCs bleating on twitter in various forms of rage and depression kinda shows SVB's business model. The same VCs had their businesses, mortgages, and personal accounts all tied up in SVB. Nothing ever entered into their mind that the bank giving them 25% of the rates of normies might suddenly have problems.

Now suddenly things became closer to fair in a whole loving hurry and they're demanding both a bailout and sympathy.

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?t=vGkcUnD5AajCb1faXvXpvQ&s=19

Should've learned from the Greek Freak.

https://twitter.com/TrungTPhan/status/1634401487593033729?t=HuW13i823IPGtzUMPxEVOg&s=19

Kind of like how my depression era grandparents saved aluminum foil, Greek citizens who lived through the last decade take precautions.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm a big fan of GOP reps calling for a bailout of a badly run bank failing to abide by regulations and common sense, but gently caress those kids and their student loans.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Reminder: it can still get worse

https://www.ndtv.com/feature/silicon-valley-bank-elon-musk-reacts-after-razer-ceo-says-twitter-should-buy-the-us-bank-3851645

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Always keep your money in more than one place. I learned this the hard way when I was younger.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm a big fan of GOP reps calling for a bailout of a badly run bank failing to abide by regulations and common sense, but gently caress those kids and their student loans.

Are they?

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

It was noted that SVB tanked almost exactly 15 years after Bear Stearns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vkZMbTdV3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUkbdjetlY8

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, saw some GOP reps on Twitter calling for it, because 250k isn't enough.

Well, that's their fault, ain't it? They know what insurance covers- it's posted at every teller, window, and ATM.

This whole thing seems like the Bank was pulling a Nigerian Prince Scam for Sillicon Valley, and those dumb dumb saw dollars signs instead of warning lights.

But I'm dumb and poor, and don't deserve healthcare.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yeah, saw some GOP reps on Twitter calling for it, because 250k isn't enough.

Well, that's their fault, ain't it? They know what insurance covers- it's posted at every teller, window, and ATM.

This whole thing seems like the Bank was pulling a Nigerian Prince Scam for Sillicon Valley, and those dumb dumb saw dollars signs instead of warning lights.

But I'm dumb and poor, and don't deserve healthcare.

The only one I saw was Swallwell, who is a Democrat.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sacrist65 posted:

Kind of like how my depression era grandparents saved aluminum foil, Greek citizens who lived through the last decade take precautions.

Oh yeah, that was bizarre to read about how in the 20s banks would just close shop and if you had money there you don’t anymore. Definite reason FDR’s first fireside chats were to reassure citizens that banks were in better shape to stop runs and get stuff calmed down.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Alrighty, finally some solid numbers with a side of lol

The lol first: hedge funds are offering to buy out companies' accounts at SVB, but only at 60-80 cents on the dollar

The numbers:

quote:

The bank was slammed by $42 billion in withdrawals on Thursday, leaving it with a negative cash balance of about $958 million by the end of the day, according to California’s financial services regulator, the primary watchdog for SVB.

https://twitter.com/semaforben/status/1634644926683045897?t=f5pHUw8eM-3mcTlCZvHwnA&s=19

The end stuff is some rampant conjecture about FDIC somehow being able to insure depositors above $250k while loving over SVB bondholders/shareholders. That would be a loving funny result, but this poo poo's going to be in legal hell unless someone outright buys the bank from FDIC.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Alrighty, finally some solid numbers with a side of lol

The lol first: hedge funds are offering to buy out companies' accounts at SVB, but only at 60-80 cents on the dollar

The numbers:

https://twitter.com/semaforben/status/1634644926683045897?t=f5pHUw8eM-3mcTlCZvHwnA&s=19

So are the jackals eating the vultures or vice versa?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stultus Maximus posted:

So are the jackals eating the vultures or vice versa?

gently caress 'em all, they all know what they did

But lol at SVB for thinking that saying "please be loyal and not bank run us" to their customer base of Peter Thiels was going to end up working out at all. Everyone involved deserves each other except for the workers getting their paychecks delayed (hopefully not killed).

So I really don't have an answer! Part of the reason why I'm so entertained. SVB's collapse is so much bigger than Silvergate Capital's (cryptobank) that I can't even laugh hard at Silvergate because that's like a stubbed toe versus a kick in the balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know, for centuries, in the Latin alphabet ‘V’ and ‘U’ were the same thing.

What I am saying here is that that “SUB” bank has gone under. It has been financially dominated.

Please don’t probe me for bad puns.