Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s like when an ex LTT employee tried to start a shitstorm on Reddit by saying that entry level writers were expected to do one video a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anthony is still my LTT crush

I hope he makes retro content forever :allears:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Whoever the guy is who does Mac Address videos, he is my favorite and I hope he isn’t interfered with.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

buglord posted:

Whoever the guy is who does Mac Address videos, he is my favorite and I hope he isn’t interfered with.

From the sound of his latest lab tour video they actually hired more people to work with him on Mac Address.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Arivia posted:

to be fair, LTT has credits too (although Linus seems to get a credit for fuckin everything in everything he's in and more)

Yeah as a producer, which is mediaspeak for the person signing the cheques. You think all those loving names on movie credits as 'Executive Producer' ever showed up to the set? :dafuq:

This thread has certifiable brainworms over Linus, it's loving bonkers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Charles Leclerc posted:

Yeah as a producer, which is mediaspeak for the person signing the cheques. You think all those loving names on movie credits as 'Executive Producer' ever showed up to the set? :dafuq:

no i mean like i've seen him be on screen and have writing and camera credits too. it's fuckin nuts.

like, i don't disagree he signs checks or whatever, but he's just all over the place.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Linus mentioned that he is still giving final approval/editing powers over most of the scripts. It sounded like it was anything for the main LTT channel during the weekly meetings. So that would be a "Writing Credit" there. Camera, uhh, he bought them? That one I got nothing on.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Charles Leclerc posted:

The goon hateboner for Linus will never stop, or stop being funny. This thread is one of the most enduring bastions of comedy on this site.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
LTT does pretty good stuff overall and ride the line between 'informative' and 'entertainment' pretty well. I really have no loving idea why people hate Linus - the dude has some weird takes but if you want to stack rack All The Businesses to work for, LTT is probably pretty high on the list.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anthony is a cool dude and I wish him the best

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

LTT does pretty good stuff overall and ride the line between 'informative' and 'entertainment' pretty well. I really have no loving idea why people hate Linus - the dude has some weird takes but if you want to stack rack All The Businesses to work for, LTT is probably pretty high on the list.

Hes whatever but his whole backpack warranty thing was handled so poorly by him and he comes off like a jackass from it.

All of this can be forgiven though by the existence of Mac Address, though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mewse posted:

I remember when Riley was new at LTT and he’s a charisma guy not a tech guy.

Anyway Riley cohosted the WAN show and asked if he could review the new nvidia card and Linus said “no, you’re unqualified” and then the next week Linus tried to tell viewers that it was a big inside joke between him and Riley that Linus acts like a dick.

Half of Riley's schtick is being a smug jerk, if he can't handle Linus' small-dog yapping in return then that's on him.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Linus sucks for a hundred reasons, jokingly giving Riley a hard time isn't one of them imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1631448860185985024?t=kXSw0k297HD-gP01gEdDVw&s=19

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

awfully generous to say that 799 is the price it should have been. it's the price where it starts to make sense over the 4070 ti, another very overpriced card.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

awfully generous to say that 799 is the price it should have been. it's the price where it starts to make sense over the 4070 ti, another very overpriced card.

but the 7900xt is such a better card then 4070 ti.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AMD's drivers remain the balance, and the 4070Ti is still a better card for non-gaming use.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

njsykora posted:

AMD's drivers remain the balance, and the 4070Ti is still a better card for non-gaming use.

but amd drivers are pretty darn good

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Switched from a 3070 to a 7900 xtx and only weirdness I had was when I had a 10 gig nic plugged in to the 2nd x16 slot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

wargames posted:

but the 7900xt is such a better card then 4070 ti.

Is it? It's like 10% faster in rasterization, 10 - 20% slower in ray tracing, and less power efficient. Nvidia's media engine is also better, their encoders are better, and DLSS is superior to FSR2. Not to mention CUDA if that's useful to you. I'd say it depends on what you're interested in, but even at the same price I'd probably lean toward the 4070 Ti. But that just reflects my own interests, as someone who likes to turn on ray tracing and dlss whenever possible and has also dabbled with AI art before.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 3, 2023

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Charles Leclerc posted:

There's a big difference between producer and executive producer.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

power crystals posted:

LMG is certainly very successful at basically everything they do, I don't think anyone will contest that, it's more that the labs is a very underpants-gnomes business model where right now we're in the "???" phase. Will it eventually generate income? No doubt. Will it become revenue positive? Less certain, but not unlikely. How long will that take and how will they get there? Who knows.

What are the chances that they'll start selling certs that manufacturer can slap on their packaging "As tested by LMG Labs!"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is it? It's like 10% faster in rasterization, 10 - 20% slower in ray tracing, and less power efficient. Nvidia's media engine is also better, their encoders are better, and DLSS is superior to FSR2. Not to mention CUDA if that's useful to you. I'd say it depends on what you're interested in, but even at the same price I'd probably lean toward the 4070 Ti. But that just reflects my own interests, as someone who likes to turn on ray tracing and dlss whenever possible and has also dabbled with AI art before.
The GPGPU encoding matters if you intend to stream (GameStream, Twitch/YouTube Live, or watch TV/VoDs on your mobile phone - just to name a few options).

The only way to do encoding for archival is CRF with a decent value and using a slow preset, as this enables threading in the encoder.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

about 15-20% faster in raster, 20W more for amd under load, worst in raytrace but FSR isn't terrible, and both FSR and DLSS are improving at a super quick rate. but with AMD you don't need to worry about DLSS 4 being gated behind next gen gpu like dlss3. my old vega56 can run FRS2 in dark tide and get a nice bump in fps.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1483242/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-vs-amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-which-is-better.html

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, it's worth pointing out that AMD has done some amount of work to improve the opensource situation when it comes to drivers.

The same cannot be said for nvidia, who've done the exact opposite.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Charles Leclerc posted:

Executive Producer is money and business side of things

Producers are more on-hand, on-set things

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Also, it's worth pointing out that AMD has done some amount of work to improve the opensource situation when it comes to drivers.

The same cannot be said for nvidia, who've done the exact opposite.

Nvidia is getting better on Linux, but only because they put a RSIC-V CPU core on their GPUs that does a lot of the work their driver used to do.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

jisforjosh posted:

most producer credits are also vanity credits at least in my experience. you get a producer credit if you like recommend someone read a script or make an intro between a director and actor

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

wargames posted:

about 15-20% faster in raster, 20W more for amd under load, worst in raytrace but FSR isn't terrible, and both FSR and DLSS are improving at a super quick rate. but with AMD you don't need to worry about DLSS 4 being gated behind next gen gpu like dlss3. my old vega56 can run FRS2 in dark tide and get a nice bump in fps.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1483242/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-vs-amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-which-is-better.html

This article shows us two (2) games. Meanwhile, Hardware Unboxed with 16 games tested puts the 7900 XT at 4% faster than the 4070 Ti at 1440p, TechPowerUp puts it at 8% faster, and Tom's Hardware puts it at 6% faster. Unfortunately not all reviewers give clean averages/geomeans to compare together, but other reviews i'm seeing around the net (pc gamer, rockpapershotgun, the verge when looking at just their rasterization results) seem to put it in similar territory. So again... is it "so much" better? I'm not saying the 4070 Ti is clearly a better value when the price is equal, but the two cards are competitive with each other if you look more than just one review.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 4, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

most producer credits are also vanity credits at least in my experience. you get a producer credit if you like recommend someone read a script or make an intro between a director and actor

That again is mainly executive producer but if you see a bunch of producers named it’s some shenanigans like that.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

jisforjosh posted:

It seems like a distinction without a difference that is extremely petty to litigate.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

hobbesmaster posted:

That again is mainly executive producer but if you see a bunch of producers named it’s some shenanigans like that.

usually executive producer means you financed the development of the film in some way. bought the original rights or paid for scripts or whatever before a studio picked it up

producer means you did one of the exec producers or the director a solid

line producer means you actually worked on the film

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Charles Leclerc posted:

It seems like a distinction without a difference that is extremely petty to litigate.

Except there is a difference. It seems more petty to keep arguing about that.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

ITT we're derail producers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I wonder what other CURRENT EVENT you can stretch into being possibly at all related to GPU prices

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That man in the thumbnail looks ill

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Will YouTube Face Make You Ill????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkxo4RiacZ7eEZ30rwg9UQyib2AMcfaF7NY

https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkx9dCoYpCVVsl_Or988RfkqOfRbUJGnx02