Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

I think they can lose Bakhmut and still survive.

They can just go "Hey we still got the spring offensive in the works" and that will keep everyone going a little while longer.

And if they're really clever they can just not go through with a counter offensive and keep stalling.

As long as there isn't a huge dramatic epic battle where one side takes a huge beating nobody is going to flip out. The slow crawling Russian offensive will just slowly ramp the temperature up on that frog.

Losing bakhmut after re-enforcing it would be catastrophic I think, politically speaking. But losing it now while minimizing casualties would be fine. Losing a high percentage of the current defenders there would be terrible but probably not damaging in the long run, but a huge wave of like 2-3k surrendering would be terrible optics.

Maybe bakhmuts re-enforcements are just a show to give hope to the ones stuck in the city so they can keep fighting till they get killed instead of surrendering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bakhmut is not critical. it's just necessary for the russians to take it if they want to proceed, and is highly defensible so it makes sense as a place to make a stand. i've seen footage allegedly from the only road reasonably open right now, though, and it's muddy enough that a guy standing still risks losing his shoe.

my guess is that zelensky hopes that he can retake enough of the surrounding area to make it a win instead of a loss in the near term, and that they can keep the russians at a standstill by holding that position. i don't see it working, though - they would have to retake soledar to properly secure the city, and that would be very rough going against an enemy with superior artillery.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

though yeah, he seems to be making himself vulnerable by publicly making himself the face of the battle. that doesn't seem like a very strong political move

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

though yeah, he seems to be making himself vulnerable by publicly making himself the face of the battle. that doesn't seem like a very strong political move

bad politicking, but very good acting though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I think the British may have been just the odd ones out using a lever action because I think the French_/Prussians/Austrians/Russians were just black powder bolt action rifles (the Berdan eventually got a cartridge). The US army has its weird trapdoor Springfield but also it was pretty much just a colonial force after the Civil War.

I guess you could argue that perhaps the a British were a bit deeper into “colonial mode” at the time, and the Americans weren’t taking it very seriously.

The move to bolt action had a lot of reasons to it, people often overestimate the 'tactical' value of certain features compared to their other qualities. Bolt action is super simple and cheap to build, extremely rugged and simple to maintain, lets you integrate a magazine lockout (this was deemed valuable for weird institutional reasons), the lebel was bolt action, it made a deep impression on debut and there's a certain tendency to copy what works instead of wasting time and money on experimenting with different ways to do the same thing. The bigger the scale of production, the less the tactical aspects matter compared to the industrial. Also most troops just suck rear end at shooting and don't benefit from super rapid fire or whatever.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

just leanred where bakhmut was yesterday now i have strong opinioons about the russians taking it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i remain extremely confused why labeling organizations not native to your country as foreign agents is supposed to be this huge deathstroke against freedom when the united states has spent the last five years being increasingly psychotic and xenophobic about any political group with even the vaguest connections to the chinese and russian nationals let alone the chinese and russian governments

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
double standards are cool and good, actually

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Losing bakhmut after re-enforcing it would be catastrophic I think, politically speaking. But losing it now while minimizing casualties would be fine. Losing a high percentage of the current defenders there would be terrible but probably not damaging in the long run, but a huge wave of like 2-3k surrendering would be terrible optics.

Maybe bakhmuts re-enforcements are just a show to give hope to the ones stuck in the city so they can keep fighting till they get killed instead of surrendering.

I think the optics just look terrible period even if the Russians don’t bag entire brigades, so much has been sent and is being spent that it is hard to frame it well once the battle is lost. Right now, they are still pretending there will be some counter-attack and it’s essentially this entire war in miniature. Eventually, it makes sense you are dumping troops into the mud because it is only way to keep that thread from getting loose.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's almost like being completely reliant on foreign aid to the point where you have to wage the war as if it were theater is a kinda bad thing

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
bakhmut up
bakhmut in
let me begin

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZyL4rAr-mk

I wanted to post this not because it is such a significant video but when I feel perfectly European academia and their attitudes toward Russia both historically and currently.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sorry i dont like videos that are just talking heads too similar to podcasts

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

rachel maddow is a keen insight on the Ukraine/Russia War

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Weka posted:

This could make a decent rom com.

They're all on Grindr. All of them. And when someone takes out his phone and notices they abandon war and start suckin' and fuckin'. Peace blooms. Zelensky and Putin are overthrown in a wave of gay love, and the USSR is reestablished and embarks on its sacred task to implement fully automated gay luxury space communism

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

it's almost like being completely reliant on foreign aid to the point where you have to wage the war as if it were theater is a kinda bad thing

Great pick for the job though. Having a former actor as president during a war waged on the international stage is an asset. Lucky coincidence really

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nonsense posted:

rachel maddow is a keen insight on the Ukraine/Russia War

this

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I wanted to post this not because it is such a significant video but when I feel perfectly European academia and their attitudes toward Russia both historically and currently.

I have some questions for the guy after he said "pseudo civil war, which was a good theater, but now this was not theater anymore. It was open, conventional, just traditional expansionist war"

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1634334541325164544

i too am glad to live in the united states a country famous for the indifference of cops to cameras

I don't remember a bank run in December 2022. Maybe the cops in the metro beat the memory out of me during one of the weekly beatings.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lmao, that guy did the :sever: because friends weren't condemning Putin enough?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

with unflagging willingness to break with the historic sylvan tradition, the pontiff filled his tankie pamps yet again
Pope Francis Says He's Willing To Visit Ukraine And Russia, But 'Both' Or 'Neither'

www.rferl.org posted:

Pope Francis says he is willing to travel to Ukraine, which is under attack from Russia, but only on the condition that he can also travel to Moscow. "I will go to both places or to neither," the head of the Catholic Church said in an interview with the March 11 edition of Argentinian newspaper La Nacion. War in Ukraine could only be ended through dialogue and concrete peace initiatives, he said. The pontiff, 86, was already considering a trip to the two countries last summer. At that time he also said he would like to visit both Kyiv and Moscow.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

with unflagging willingness to break with the historic sylvan tradition, the pontiff filled his tankie pamps yet again
Pope Francis Says He's Willing To Visit Ukraine And Russia, But 'Both' Or 'Neither'

He's right

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So the first few minutes I'm getting the impression that they have a very "liberal" view of the war.

IT's all narratives and performative displays, they can't even imagine a real person choosing to fight or them having real reasons for going to war.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

tazjin posted:

I don't remember a bank run in December 2022. Maybe the cops in the metro beat the memory out of me during one of the weekly beatings.

Maybe their brains got a bit scrambled and was talking about March 2022 when people were freaking out (and I don’t think any major bank actually failed.

Lostconfused posted:

So the first few minutes I'm getting the impression that they have a very "liberal" view of the war.

IT's all narratives and performative displays, they can't even imagine a real person choosing to fight or them having real reasons for going to war.

They can’t believe the polling either, people must be too terrified what they really think. There is going to be zero introspection after this war is over.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Mar 11, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wonder if Poland expects this war to last long enough for them to get their new toys.

https://twitter.com/d_foubert/status/1626588911685484547

https://twitter.com/albafella1/status/1634635318392418304

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I don't think losing Bakhmut will be a problem for the narrative, it'll just be spun as a necessary delaying action and the dog men will lap that poo poo up.

Frosted Flake posted:

I keep hearing 10 gauge is making a comeback because you can't use lead shot in wetlands anymore but yeah, it's a motherfucker. Until now I'd never thought about how much lead they must have introduced into the water table by blasting away with cannon, and that's beside the poison bait they used too.

Is this because steel shot is lighter, so less recoil?

Cerebral Bore posted:

right, all that makes sense

also a screw is strong when it comes to tensile strength because the grooves give it a very large contact surface with whatever it's fastened to

I think also the even distribution of those contact surfaces helps.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Weka posted:

less density so the pellets don't go as far

kinda why tungsten or bismuth shot also exist but is way expensive

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nix Panicus posted:

Great pick for the job though. Having a former actor as president during a war waged on the international stage is an asset. Lucky coincidence really

January 6 Survivor posted:

less density so the pellets don't go as far, kinda why tungsten or bismuth shot also exist but is way expensive

Yeah, and people say it doesn't pattern as well. As a tradeoff for not putting lead in the water or killing whole flocks of birds, I don't mind.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:44 on Mar 11, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

I don't think losing Bakhmut will be a problem for the narrative, it'll just be spun as a necessary delaying action and the dog men will lap that poo poo up.

I think also the even distribution of those contact surfaces helps.

Granted, the NAFO types don’t care either way and will switch flag icons as needed. I think the bigger issue is the Ukrainian public that sacrificed quite a bit for that town.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

You know, I'm actually incredibly mad from watching this video.

loving liberals.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

narrative will be strong until there are videos of helicopters evacuating Kiev.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Lostconfused posted:

I think they can lose Bakhmut and still survive.

They can just go "Hey we still got the spring offensive in the works" and that will keep everyone going a little while longer.

And if they're really clever they can just not go through with a counter offensive and keep stalling.

As long as there isn't a huge dramatic epic battle where one side takes a huge beating nobody is going to flip out. The slow crawling Russian offensive will just slowly ramp the temperature up on that frog.

Once Steiner attacks everything will be alright.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

Wonder if Poland expects this war to last long enough for them to get their new toys.

https://twitter.com/d_foubert/status/1626588911685484547

https://twitter.com/albafella1/status/1634635318392418304

imagine thinking Russia wants anything to do with your cursed people

once was enough

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

kurwa!!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't really get Poland's whole deal in all of this. All they got out of the EU was their people being synonymous with handymen and cleaners throughout Europe instead of the engineers and scientists of the PRL.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/marine6254/status/1634474913716408323?s=19
https://twitter.com/marine6254/status/1634484502272806912?s=19
Lol
They're hosed

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1634334541325164544

i too am glad to live in the united states a country famous for the indifference of cops to cameras

lol

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

all posters are braver than the US marines

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

theyre all gonna die arent they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011