Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

I had so many moments like this yesterday while making my PC. The machine automatically booted from the flash drive with windows installer on it without me doing anything! Cases come with wiring highways built in that make cable management easy! I was so worried going in but roughest parts of the process have been smoothed over going in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Manyorcas posted:

I had so many moments like this yesterday while making my PC. The machine automatically booted from the flash drive with windows installer on it without me doing anything! Cases come with wiring highways built in that make cable management easy! I was so worried going in but roughest parts of the process have been smoothed over going in.

I have a case from the 90s in my mom's basement just in case I feel the need to remind myself of the bad old times when building a PC would generally draw blood.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I still cut myself (twice!) on radiator fins on my last build. Some things never change.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Wibla posted:

I have a case from the 90s in my mom's basement just in case I feel the need to remind myself of the bad old times when building a PC would generally draw blood.

If it's an InWin, here, have a laugh:

Yes, that's actually their explanation for their current logo. I like to believe it was written by someone who owned an A500.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I still cut myself on the motherboard IO shield, which was nearly impossible to put in

And I wish they would make things like the front power/LED connectors a little larger even if it isn't technically necessary.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Yea when I finished my current build I was blown away by this.

I remember the days when updating your BIOS there was a non-0 chance it would just brick your PC.

*edit*

Also I only managed to stab myself with a connector pin once! That is a record!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Farecoal posted:

And I wish they would make things like the front power/LED connectors a little larger even if it isn't technically necessary.

It's completely stupid that case manufacturers don't wire all of those connectors into a single block. The layout has been standardized for decades at this point.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I remember Asus bundled a connector block for those so you could plug that poo poo in before plugging that block into the motherboard. Don't think they bother with that anymore, but they were neat.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Okay, finally ready to pull the trigger on the rest of my parts.

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? Closest one is about 2 hours, but I have a friend in Boston willing to buy and ship stuff at cost, which is how I got the bundle below.
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting? Mostly gaming, watching streaming video, and some dev work.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Including the $600 CPU/mobo/RAM bundle below, total should be below $3500 but I don't necessarily need the most top of the line everything.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I have a 1440p 165Hz HP Omen monitor that I use for gaming. I'd like to run games at the highest settings possible without having to spend more than $900 on a GPU. I also have a 36" LG Ultrawide @ 3440x1440@60Hz that I don't use for gaming, I have it split using DisplayFusion into two 1720x1440 virtual monitors for secondary use like streaming video or web browsing while gaming or having scrillions of Chrome tabs open while working. I also have an ancient Samsung 1080p monitor I keep Discord and Spotify open on.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Mostly enterprise python dev work, no AI-based stuff.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor (Included in already-purchased Microcenter bundle)
Motherboard: *Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (Included in already-purchased Microcenter bundle)
Memory: *G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory (Included in already-purchased Microcenter bundle)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($159.99 @ Amazon / $139 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($849.99 @ Newegg/Amazon)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($102.99 @ Newegg / $120 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg) (The SHIFT version which supports ATX 3.0 and PCIe 5.0 is $10 more).

I'm obviously not buying both of those coolers, my thought was to get the Peerless Assassin SE and if it wasn't sufficient, to then spring for the AIO and resell the PA. The 1000W version of the PSU is $50 more, so I considered going that direction for future compatibility but posts here lead me to believe that 850W should be sufficient even into the next generation of GPUs.

I'll be pulling most of the drives out of my current machine, which has
  • 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD (purchased 2016) as main boot and system drive + about half my steam library
  • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD (purchased 2021) as the other half of my steam library
  • 1 TB WD Green 7200 RPM drive that is ancient (bought it in 2009, this is the third computer it's been in). Most of the files have been transferred off it onto the next one.
  • 1 TB Seagate FireCuda 5400 RPM (purchased 2017). This was marketed as a "hybrid" drive and I misread the item description, thinking it was a 1 TB SSD for $90 in 2017. Instead it's a regular platter drive with some kind of solid-state cache. It's now my bulk storage drive, as I became concerned about the age of the WD drive).

I'll probably leave the 850 EVO in the old computer, move the 970 EVO to the new one, move the rest of the files off the WD HDD onto the Seagate drive and leave the former in the old machine and move the latter into the new one.

All this to ask the following questions:
  • Is this overall system build valid, no major errors in parts selection? It's pretty similar to a lot of the other builds I've seen in here recently, especially those also using the 7900X Microcenter bundle.
  • I'm looking for a 2 TB drive for boot/system + steam for the new machine, is there a go-to? The mobo from the Microcenter bundle supports PCIe 5.0 x4 on one of the M.2 slots and 4.0 x4 on the other two, one of which will get the 970 EVO from above.
  • Is it worth spending the extra $50 for the 1000W PSU over the 850W one? Is the extra $10 for the SHIFT versions worth it?

bgreman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 10, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wibla posted:

I remember Asus bundled a connector block for those so you could plug that poo poo in before plugging that block into the motherboard. Don't think they bother with that anymore, but they were neat.

My Phanteks P400A case has a single connector, so it’s absolutely possible. Though with the Fractal Pop there’s only one connector to plug in which is the power button. Everything else from the audio jacks to USB plugs in elsewhere on the board so maybe that mass of pins is just becoming obsolete.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I need some help with an Oopsie.

I have on my desk a newly bought ThermalTake Peerless Assassin 120SE. Unfortunately it requires the original AM4 backplate for mounting, which I carelessly threw out years ago.

Will any of these do?
https://www.amazon.nl/Backplane-Duu...927694630&psc=1
https://www.amazon.nl/Backplate-koe...020005489&psc=1

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

What country are you in? the US
Do you live near Microcenter? No
What are you using the system for? Gaming (1080p is ok, but want to get a good price/performance so that I don't have to upgrade for a while (4-5 years?) for 1080p), media pc, some light video editing.
What's your budget? Looking to hit a good price to performance optimum, but somewhere between $700-1200 not including case and power supply
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Would like to play new games at 1080p with ~60hz, maybe higher with full detail- Will be connected to my 4k TV. Don't need to 4K game
If you’re doing professional work NA

I'm looking to update my den gaming/media pc, and want to upgrade with parts at one of the sweet spots for price/performance. Been trying to lurk the thread to see what makes the most sense and this is what I have so far: (I'll be re-using my relatively new power supply, and old COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II ATX case.) Open to any low-cost high-impact upgrades or sales.

edit: Also, I'm a bit unclear if the stock cpu cooler is ok, or if it is worth it to get an aftermarket one nowadays - any advice?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fy67Dc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($156.63 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($44.88 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $716.47

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Hi goons,

I have a 2080/i7 machine that is great, I want to move it out of my office and use it for game streaming.

I want to build a SFFPC to run Linux and play sim games. I do light coding/compiling work as well.

Games I play that I don't want to stream: Stellaris, RimWorld, morrowind

Do you live near Microcenter? Yes

What are you using the system for? gaming, web, and programming

What's your budget? just need the box. Trying to stay around $1400 or lower

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I run a dual display port monitors @2k, 165hz (but I'm happy underclocking)

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? VScode, I also do a bunch of compiling and assorted nonsense

I'd love to stay more low profile, low power, but I'm really not sure what to look at for the games I'm interested though.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z2GFVw

This is the list thing I've put together but wanted feedback from y'all goons

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Hi goons,

I have a 2080/i7 machine that is great, I want to move it out of my office and use it for game streaming.

I want to build a SFFPC to run Linux and play sim games. I do light coding/compiling work as well.

Games I play that I don't want to stream: Stellaris, RimWorld, morrowind

Do you live near Microcenter? Yes

What are you using the system for? gaming, web, and programming

What's your budget? just need the box. Trying to stay around $1400 or lower

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I run a dual display port monitors @2k, 165hz (but I'm happy underclocking)

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? VScode, I also do a bunch of compiling and assorted nonsense

I'd love to stay more low profile, low power, but I'm really not sure what to look at for the games I'm interested though.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z2GFVw

This is the list thing I've put together but wanted feedback from y'all goons

The air cooler you chose isn't sufficient for the 5800X3D, especially with the layout of that case (gpu will be positioned directly in front of the cpu fan). The case you're using is one that's optimized for AIO water cooling, hence the "H2O" part of the name. You want either a different case that supports better air coolers with a more optimal airflow configuration (e.g. NR200), or you want to use an AIO.

edit: The layout is actually a little bit different from what I was expecting, and the cooler would have access to air. But I would still not recommend the L9a for a 5800X3D

whenever you're considering an sff case, it's worth watching build videos involving that case just so you can see how it all fits together and works and maybe get an idea of what the build process is like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69UJCLJ9E4Q

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 11, 2023

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Im looking for recommendations on an atx 3.0 psu with a 12vhp connector for use with a 4090. Probably 1000 watt Gold or platinum. I was looking at the recent corsair rmshift, but i dont know anything about their quality with psus. Any guidance would be appreciated.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What is the speed difference like outside of your boot time? What are the other specs on your machine?

I think games take a little less loading time - like Cyberpunk loads a little quicker, chapter transitions in games happen quicker, stuff like that. In other day-to-day stuff I wouldn't say I notice anything.

Machine is a 5800X3D with 32GB 3600 CL16 RAM.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

eviltastic posted:

If it's an InWin, here, have a laugh:

Yes, that's actually their explanation for their current logo. I like to believe it was written by someone who owned an A500.

:laffo:

It's not, but that blood spatter (maybe the wrong word) looks reasonable for some of the cases I worked on 20+ years ago :haw:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The air cooler you chose isn't sufficient for the 5800X3D, especially with the layout of that case (gpu will be positioned directly in front of the cpu fan). The case you're using is one that's optimized for AIO water cooling, hence the "H2O" part of the name. You want either a different case that supports better air coolers with a more optimal airflow configuration (e.g. NR200), or you want to use an AIO.

edit: The layout is actually a little bit different from what I was expecting, and the cooler would have access to air. But I would still not recommend the L9a for a 5800X3D

whenever you're considering an sff case, it's worth watching build videos involving that case just so you can see how it all fits together and works and maybe get an idea of what the build process is like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69UJCLJ9E4Q

Thanks! I did watch that video earlier. I have an NR200 now which is great, will probably take your advice and just get another one. I'm really interested in building a cool and quiet AMD machine, I'll have to look at AIO a bit more.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sorry if I missed it, but I thought the thread might like to know that Micro Center is finally adding 3 more stores!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/micro-center-launching-new-stores

The first one is in Indianapolis. The other 2 are TBA.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
My gf has been wanting to build a new gaming PC for a while now, and has a budget of $2000 plus a new monitor. She was looking at NZXT prebuilt system today, specifically https://nzxt.com/product/player-two-prime, and I'm getting close to the same price point on PC part picker for her anyhow. I am definitely capable of building a PC and have done so many, many times, but haven't really kept up on hardware the last few years, and don't really know what I'm looking for value-wise atm. We don't mind paying a little extra for a warranty and not to have to bother with a build as well. Does this look like a decent build to pull the trigger on, or should we really be doing some more research and planning to squeeze out a bit of a better gaming rig for the same cost?

CPU:AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X
GPU:NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti
RAM:32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200 MHz (max speed)
Storage: 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
SOFTWARE Operating System:Windows 11 Home
PROCESSOR Processor Brand:AMD
Series:Ryzen™ 7 5800X
Processor Speed (Base):3.4 GHz
Number of Cores:8
GRAPHICS Model:GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti
Chipset Manufacturer:NVIDIA®
MEMORY Model:Team Force Vulcan Z
Capacity:32GB (2 x 16GB)
Speed:3200 MHz (max speed)
Interface:DDR4
STORAGE Model:Product brand may vary
Capacity:1TB
Form Factor :NVMe M.2 SSD
MOTHERBOARD Model:B550
Form Factor:ATX
Wi-Fi:Included
CPU COOLER
Model:Kraken X53
POWER Model:C750 Bronze
Wattage:750 W
Form Factor:ATX
Rating:80+ Bronze
CASE Model:NZXT H5 Elite
Motherboard Support:Mini-ITX, MicroATX, ATX
Front I/O:1x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A / 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C / 1x Headset Audio Jack
Manufacturer's Warranty - Parts:2 years
Manufacturer's Warranty - Labor:2 years

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Reynold posted:

or should we really be doing some more research and planning to squeeze out a bit of a better gaming rig for the same cost?

Yes.

I just managed to put together a much better rig for significantly cheaper.

Much better CPU, faster RAM, excellent air cooler (should have a longer lifespan and be a bit quieter than that AIO), double the capacity faster storage, and a better PSU.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 11, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Yeah, I ran the prebuilt part specs through pcpartpicker and it looks like it's about a $500 upcharge before you even start adding warranties and such

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Sir Lemming posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but I thought the thread might like to know that Micro Center is finally adding 3 more stores!

Build one in Seattle you cowards! Closest one to me is something like an 18 hour drive.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Bone Crimes posted:

What country are you in? the US
What are you using the system for? Gaming (1080p is ok, but want to get a good price/performance so that I don't have to upgrade for a while (4-5 years?) for 1080p), media pc, some light video editing.
What's your budget? Looking to hit a good price to performance optimum, but somewhere between $700-1200 not including case and power supply
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Would like to play new games at 1080p with ~60hz, maybe higher with full detail- Will be connected to my 4k TV. Don't need to 4K game
If you’re doing professional work NA

I'm looking to update my den gaming/media pc, and want to upgrade with parts at one of the sweet spots for price/performance. Been trying to lurk the thread to see what makes the most sense and this is what I have so far: (I'll be re-using my relatively new power supply, and old COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II ATX case.) Open to any low-cost high-impact upgrades or sales.

edit: Also, I'm a bit unclear if the stock cpu cooler is ok, or if it is worth it to get an aftermarket one nowadays - any advice?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fy67Dc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($156.63 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($44.88 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $716.47

I would suggest going for the B550 version of the motherboard, save a bit of money and just as feature capable as the X570 version - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pLNxFT/asus-tuf-gaming-b550-plus-wifi-ii-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-b550-plus-wifi-ii

For the NVME, consider going for a WD SN770 instead of the samsung. Not only is it a bit cheaper, but it's pcie 4.0 instead of 3.0 - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YVytt6/western-digital-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds100t3x0e

I'll let others weigh in on whether that video card is reasonable for your use case.

The stock cooler that comes with the 5600X will be functional, the main complaint is that is loud when under load. This is the primary reason to get an aftermarket cooler. A decent tower air cooler could be had for the price of money you save on the mobo and ssd substitutions I suggested above

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 11, 2023

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ZombieCrew posted:

Im looking for recommendations on an atx 3.0 psu with a 12vhp connector for use with a 4090. Probably 1000 watt Gold or platinum. I was looking at the recent corsair rmshift, but i dont know anything about their quality with psus. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Corsair is a highly reputable brand. I have the non-shift version of the RM1000x powering my 4090 without complaint. I would have gone for the shift, but they released it like a week after I did my build upgrade, oh well

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

vanilla slimfast posted:

I would suggest going for the B550 version of the motherboard, save a bit of money and just as feature capable as the X570 version - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pLNxFT/asus-tuf-gaming-b550-plus-wifi-ii-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-b550-plus-wifi-ii

For the NVME, consider going for a WD SN770 instead of the samsung. Not only is it a bit cheaper, but it's pcie 4.0 instead of 3.0 - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YVytt6/western-digital-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds100t3x0e

I'll let others weigh in on whether that video card is reasonable for your use case.

The stock cooler that comes with the 5600X will be functional, the main complaint is that is loud when under load. This is the primary reason to get an aftermarket cooler

This is great advice. Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Reynold posted:

My gf has been wanting to build a new gaming PC for a while now, and has a budget of $2000 plus a new monitor. She was looking at NZXT prebuilt system today, specifically https://nzxt.com/product/player-two-prime,

Yeah as others have said I wouldn’t spend 2k on a PC with a last gen processor and that’s before everything else.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Sir Lemming posted:

According to reddit scuttlebutt (based on real estate purchases, I think) the other two are Miami Florida and Charlotte NC.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

vanilla slimfast posted:

Corsair is a highly reputable brand. I have the non-shift version of the RM1000x powering my 4090 without complaint. I would have gone for the shift, but they released it like a week after I did my build upgrade, oh well
The RM850x shift is $10 more than the regular version. Debating if I should make an exchange. I don't care about the cables coming from the side. If anything, that's a negative because it requires the case to be wider. But having a native 12VHPWR cable might be worth it, though I didn't have any issues installing the splitter onto my 4070 Ti.

edit: Corsair says the 850x Shift requires a case at least 210mm wide. I'm not sure if that's mean to be the outside width since there would be variation in panel thickness and clearance around the PSU area. The PSU itself is 150mm wide so the 210mm number presumably allows for installing and bending the cables, but the Fractal North is 215mm wide so maybe I'll skip it.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 11, 2023

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

The RM850x shift is $10 more than the regular version. Debating if I should make an exchange. I don't care about the cables coming from the side. If anything, that's a negative because it requires the case to be wider. But having a native 12VHPWR cable might be worth it, though I didn't have any issues installing the splitter onto my 4070 Ti.

edit: Corsair says the 850x Shift requires a case at least 210mm wide. I'm not sure if that's mean to be the outside width since there would be variation in panel thickness and clearance around the PSU area. The PSU itself is 150mm wide so the 210mm number presumably allows for installing and bending the cables, but the Fractal North is 215mm wide so maybe I'll skip it.

I ended up getting a cablemod kit in order to get the 12vhpwr so it all worked out

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

So I had a 4080 fall into my lap, and that's a grand reason to upgrade my system.
I've currently got a 10600k, 32gb of ddr4, 8gb 3060ti

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting? I mostly play a mix of video games, and do a variety of computer touching things (I'm in a "transition"). The basics.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Around $1k. Planning on selling my 3060ti to a buddy for a steal, and gift the remaining rig to my nephew who is holding onto my old 1650 ultra.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I have a 1440p 144Hz 27" LG monitor that I use for gaming. I've got a secondary monitor also attached.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? tbh right now, truth told! but I hope to be able to handle it - whatever comes my way for the next few years at least.

Here's what I have so far.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($417.94 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($259.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1000.89

Is this enough cooling for this CPU/GPU combo? I have a few spare 120mm fans I can throw into the mix. I've never built a liquid cooled system, and I'd be willing to spend that money, if it was called for.
Thank you for your help, goons. I might save my old WD SN550 and let the nephew run my old rig off the SSD I gifted him a while back. What sort of performance gains would I see between the two different drives?

Is intel the way to go on this build, or is AMD a solid contender these days?
I have tried to drop this GPU into my current rig, and it's too long by a matter of some millimeters.
So I'm probably buying the case before everything, because I can easily afford that at the moment. It's going to be a few more weeks until I gather all the rest of the components.

Should I get a 13600k instead, and overclock it if I feel it's bottlenecking/not fast enough? Is this the correct ram/speeds? XMP should take care of all of that, no?

AppleNippleBOB fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 12, 2023

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I just put this SFF together and it's been really troublesome.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D 4.4 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT 65.57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG B650I EDGE WIFI Mini ITX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: PNY XLR8 Gaming MAKO 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Inland TD510 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 5.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li A4-H20 X4 Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Silverstone SX1000-LPT 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home Retail - USB 64-bit
Monitor: LG 27GR95QE-B 26.5" 2560 x 1440 240 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard
Speakers: Creative Labs Pebble V2 8 W Speakers
Total: $4843.20

It's a crap shoot if games or other apps run smoothly. I'm getting frequent Stop code: 0xc000021a BSOD when loading the system, or some games just load super weird and full or glitches. I've reinstalled the OS twice, updated drivers, rolled back drivers, messed with the OC and voltages, etc etc. I can't get through a basic UserBenchmark run without it hanging which sucks.

This seems to be the curse of building a new PC. :shrug:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Is that ram supported by the motherboard?

AM5 has some real issues with memory compatibility.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I assume when you say you've updated drivers, that means you've also updated your motherboard bios? If not, definitely try that.

It could be a memory compatibility issue, which would be difficult to troubleshoot. MSI's official memory compatibility list for that board doesn't list the specific kit you bought. It does list a very similar kit, but that similar kit advertises AMD EXPO support, while the kit you bought does not. That said, it would be difficult to diagnose if this is indeed a compatibility issue without using a second kit of DDR5. You could rule out the GPU by pulling it from your system and using only the 7900X3D's integrated graphics. You could also try each of the dimms in different spots at 4800 and see if the issue persists, though that wouldn't necessarily rule out a memory compatibility issue if it does persist.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hey, I just need a part recommendation and I can't find a more appropriate thread.

I run USB3 over fiber into my theater room, there's a bunch plugged into stuff over there but one thing I've been doing is getting my main office computer connected to it, because that computer has a 4090 in it. I messed with nvidia gamestream and everything but wasn't completely happy with the results and found a way better solution, hdmi also over fiber.

So the USB3 over fiber thing was originally for running vr out there, but now I'm thinking, why not get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and my bluetooth controllers all plugged in there too? Problem is, when I got the hardware for the USB3 over fiber thing I only planned for VR, which is USB3. Doing USB2 and USB3 over fiber is more expensive so I went with just USB3. If I plug anything that's USB2 into it it just wont work.

Do explicitly USB3 bluetooth adapters exist? Because unless I can find a way to blast bluetooth through walls and about 20m that's gonna be my only option. And if they exist, can anyone recommend one? I went looking myself but "USB Version" is not a thing they put up front on the ad for the millions of bluetooth adapters out there.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Wibla posted:

Is that ram supported by the motherboard?

AM5 has some real issues with memory compatibility.

Good catch, thanks. I'm looking at Pangoly to see which kits are QVL verified now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hey I haven't kept up with PC parts for a long time. Is there anything cool around the corner or is now a good time to build a ~$1,000 desktop?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is this the right place to ask about cable modems or is there a better thread for that? Comcast says I can get up to 800Mbps now, but I need to upgrade my ARRIS SB6183 (I don't lease, I always buy my own) and the list of compatible cable modems has 46 entries. Do I need 32 DOCSYS channels? Do I need DOCSYS 3.1? Are any of Motorola, Arris, Netgear, HitronTechnologies, Asus, HUMAX, Linksys, or TP-LINK brands I should totally avoid or specifically prefer?

e. I already have a wifi router (Netgear AC1750) so I don't need built-in wifi, I run three PCs, a printer, and a half dozen wifi devices at the same time, I stream 4k TV, I dunno if any of this poo poo matters

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 12, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mu Zeta posted:

Hey I haven't kept up with PC parts for a long time. Is there anything cool around the corner or is now a good time to build a ~$1,000 desktop?

Build away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Leperflesh posted:

Is this the right place to ask about cable modems or is there a better thread for that? Comcast says I can get up to 800Mbps now, but I need to upgrade my ARRIS SB6183 (I don't lease, I always buy my own) and the list of compatible cable modems has 46 entries. Do I need 32 DOCSYS channels? Do I need DOCSYS 3.1? Are any of Motorola, Arris, Netgear, HitronTechnologies, Asus, HUMAX, Linksys, or TP-LINK brands I should totally avoid or specifically prefer?

e. I already have a wifi router (Netgear AC1750) so I don't need built-in wifi, I run three PCs, a printer, and a half dozen wifi devices at the same time, I stream 4k TV, I dunno if any of this poo poo matters

You may want to try the Home Networking thread.