Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I’d get one that’s modular so you can plug it into pretty much anything. In my car, I carry a 14-50, a 6-30, and a 15-20 all for the same mobile charger.

Chevy’s mobile charger is modular I believe.

Just went out to check. It looks like it might be "modular" if you think removing a couple screws and doing some soldering counts... I didn't check what the voltage rating of it was, though, since that's not the type of modularity I'm after ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'll admit not doing thorough research but I got a J+ Booster 2 specifically because of its modularity and the fact that they have an adapter for a 6-15 socket which greatly helps in automatically setting the current to not blow the 15A breaker on that circuit. (And just to reiterate, I live in a rental and the breaker is on a sub-panel so I can't touch it without killing myself)

That said, there is no such thing as a 15-40 as far as I'm aware. The J+ also only has adapters for 14-30 and 14-50 (the 14-50 is included along with the 5-15) for that range so no support for type 15 sockets and 40amp plugs don't appear to be a thing.
https://www.jplus.world/jplus-booster
https://www.jplus.world/jplus-booster-adapter

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh my god

"What kind of modular EVSE could we make that would have the highest possibility of killing somebody?"

e: actually that looks like a 6-20 plug, maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

Edward IV posted:

That said, there is no such thing as a 15-40 as far as I'm aware.

You're right, sorry, I meant 14-50.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 10, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

cruft posted:

Just went out to check. It looks like it might be "modular" if you think removing a couple screws and doing some soldering counts... I didn't check what the voltage rating of it was, though, since that's not the type of modularity I'm after ;)

Their website shows equipment where the plug can be changed but I can't see it for sale anywhere.

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/living-electric/home-charging

Edit: Looks like their Dual Level Charge Cord is only 14-50 & 5-20.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 10, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Edward IV posted:

That said, there is no such thing as a 15-40 as far as I'm aware. The J+ also only has adapters for 14-30 and 14-50 (the 14-50 is included along with the 5-15) for that range so no support for type 15 sockets and 40amp plugs don't appear to be a thing.
https://www.jplus.world/jplus-booster
https://www.jplus.world/jplus-booster-adapter

That J+ is selling for $649 on Amazon, which is much more than a Tesla mobile EVSE ($230) and a TeslaTap ($140) combined ($370). :(

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Their website shows equipment where the plug can be changed but I can't see it for sale anywhere.

Yeah, I suspect that's a newer version than the one we have, unfortunately.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Your best bet is a cheap generic 14-50 charger on Amazon. They're basically all the same.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

cruft posted:

That J+ is selling for $649 on Amazon, which is much more than a Tesla mobile EVSE ($230) and a TeslaTap ($140) combined ($370). :(

There is a $150 coupon that can get applied at checkout but yeah. As I said, I didn't do thorough research or cross-shopping but it had precisely what I needed and it is well built so I felt the cost was justified for my case.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Your best bet is a cheap generic 14-50 charger on Amazon. They're basically all the same.

I wasn't expecting it, but my strawman Tesla Moble EVSE + TeslaTap is looking like not only the least expensive option, but also the most versatile. The combination of these two will allow jr to charge at a 5-15 outlet, a 14-50 outlet, and a Tesla Level 2 EVSE. It's also from brands I trust (Tesla and TeslaTap) and not The Very Reliable And Not Prone To Catching Fire Rebranded Shenzhen Absolute Minimum-Cost Electronics Supplier Company that seems to dominate Amazon results.

And it's also winding up being cheaper than anything else I can find, even excluding the TeslaTap.

Weird.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tesla's UMC is legit good and not expensive. It just sucks that your kid's gonna have to deal with the teslatap.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Tesla's UMC is legit good and not expensive. It just sucks that your kid's gonna have to deal with the teslatap.

Yeah, it'll be a dumb janky-looking setup. But Jr will probably never even remove the thing. And we have the Tesla hardwired EVSE at home with a TeslaTap on it which she's already been using for the last 2 years, so it won't even be a change in standard procedure.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The Tesla Adapter Bundle is in stock right now too, and I can attest from personal experience that it's a great kit. It along with my emergency mobile charger live in my frunk now Just In Case.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Loucks posted:

I test drove a 2000 Toyota Echo in the early aughts and remember being surprised by how roomy it was. I remember hating the center-mounted instrument cluster.

Now I drive an M3. :v:

It had 268k miles when I sold it. Original clutch and no issues.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Doom Rooster posted:

Is this a euphemism?

https://youtu.be/9E9ftsaHtWw

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
So i finally got the first ETA date range for my Model Y Performance i ordered on the opening day of orders last year

It'll be about 10 months from order to delivery, because Australia is of course an EV backwater that no manufacturer gives a poo poo about

Just to spice things up a bit im part-financing this and although i have pre-approval the final paperwork is looking like it will coincide with me being in between jobs so the whole thing could fall through at the final hurdle :ohdear:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I personally would think of not having to buy a new car on financing while I'm unemployed as a win

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I personally would think of not having to buy a new car on financing while I'm unemployed as a win

Chicken.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

ROFLBOT posted:

So i finally got the first ETA date range for my Model Y Performance i ordered on the opening day of orders last year

Just got an email from my dealer that the Bolt EV I ordered in December has been accepted for production. So, 4-6 weeks! :woop:

One of the emails from the sales lady:

quote:

The wait will end soon. Lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Carvana sent me this today

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Polestar prices have been absolutely murdered too. I'm seeing some for sale in the high 30s now. Am just vulturing till they hit low 30s, could be just months away lol.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Just to clarify, i have the second job already lined up, it’s just that changeover period that complicates things…

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

cruft posted:

The kinda -big white Chevy L1/L2 mobile charger is, in fact, modular but you need to really pull hard to get the plug side to swap. It feels like you're going to break it but when I asked, they explained it's because they expect people to leave it plugged in outdoors, and want to keep water outside.

Part# 85163382 and ~$350

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 12, 2023

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I learned the other day that the included 230V cable for the Nissan Ariya here is almost 2000 USD eqv, better not run it over.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I learned the other day that the included 230V cable for the Nissan Ariya here is almost 2000 USD eqv, better not run it over.

You mean the type 2 cable or the type1 charger? Type1 chargers prices have exploded recently.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The polestar 2 included charging cable with detached 5-15 and 14-50 connects is 1000 from volvo....
Purchased used 23 for a steal but didnt have the 14-50 adapter.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Polestar prices have been absolutely murdered too. I'm seeing some for sale in the high 30s now. Am just vulturing till they hit low 30s, could be just months away lol.

Ooooh, I would be all over a used Polestar at those prices.

Question for the thread: Will Canoo actually deliver a vehicle, or are they just collecting orders?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Failson posted:

Ooooh, I would be all over a used Polestar at those prices.

Question for the thread: Will Canoo actually deliver a vehicle, or are they just collecting orders?

they're supposedly shipping trucks to Schindler but if they make it as a company i'll eat a canoo branded hat

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

is it because of the new updated cars?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ok Comboomer posted:

some of that but probably more overall demand softening

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Just heard from the dealer that ioniq 6s will be in this month but there’s a $500 non refundable deposit but they will likely be sold so I can be added to a waitlist to test drive. Dealers gonna dealer I guess.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I still have a deposit on an ioniq5 I no longer want. I should cancel it and start the process of getting that back. Or maybe can shift it over to an ioniq7! Would rather have an EV9 tho

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

some of that but probably more overall demand softening

Volvo should have called it a crossover. Sedan? Hatchback? Doesn't matter. All are crossover.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It’s been reported that the Mercedes Sprinter EV, with 113kwh of LFP battery is going to be price competitive with the Ford eTransit which has 75kwh of battery, that is around $50k.

I’m so in. Going to do a camper conversion.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VideoGameVet posted:

It’s been reported that the Mercedes Sprinter EV, with 113kwh of LFP battery is going to be price competitive with the Ford eTransit which has 75kwh of battery, that is around $50k.

I really like the gas Transit

Shame the EV doesn’t seem nearly as competitive with the Sprinter

bully for the Sprinter finally having a version justifying its status

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

These should have a factory option to cover the roof with solar panels :v:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

Not a single person paid 50k for etransit. More like 70. Yes, I'm very bitter about Ford pricing bullshit, why'd you ask?

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Wibla posted:

These should have a factory option to cover the roof with solar panels :v:

I really wish I the fisker ocean was a bit cheaper and widely available. I love the idea of a solar roof and wish it was a thing on all EVs. Even if I can eek out 5-10miles of range a day would cover me for my runs about town.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Johnny has a review of the BYD Atto3, looks ok:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgEG5ZbodWQ

I don't know the UK market but the MG4 starts at like 26k according to his other video so I dunno if that pricing makes sense, flippy screen or not.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I really wish I the fisker ocean was a bit cheaper and widely available. I love the idea of a solar roof and wish it was a thing on all EVs. Even if I can eek out 5-10miles of range a day would cover me for my runs about town.

You can probably fit 1000W of solar on the roof of a sprinter, maybe more, which makes it a lot more viable imo.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think it's because of the Tesla price drops and precipitous fall in used Tesla prices. Even when used model 3s were 10k+ more than they are now, a P2 with less range and fewer features was a hard sell to most consumers. Now why should they bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is a really wild story: two Tesla owners unlocked and drove each other’s cars by accident. How is this possible?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/14/tesla-app-unlock-strangers-car/