Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

mystes posted:

As an American you should feel more dunked on by that email because the US doesn't even have passenger rail

Nah, Amtrak exists, but it's only really worth using on the coasts to get between big cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I am throwing a party tomorrow and I'm thinking of buying an extra game or two for local multi-player geared for a party atmosphere.

I already have all the Jackbox games, Gang Beasts, Nidhogg, etc. What are some other good ones to consider? I've heard Overcooked and Moving Out are also good.

SpiderHeck!! It's a really fun single-screen arena fighter. Great variety of stages and weapons and game modes, and while the controls take a second to adjust to they're quite simple and once they click you can pull off some very fun and fluid movement. It's also on Gamepass I believe.

edit: I was also able to find online matches pretty easily on the Gamepass version for anyone who's looking to play solo -- not sure if that's the same matchmaking pool as Steam though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Echoing the Duck Game and Chicken Horse suggestions, and also adding Unrailed if you want something co-op instead of competitive

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Randallteal posted:

Nah, Amtrak exists, but it's only really worth using on the coasts to get between big cities.

Amtrak is the way to go between New York and DC. I took the train from NYC to Boston once, and while I'm glad I did it once, I would never do it again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

mystes posted:

As an American you should feel more dunked on by that email because the US doesn't even have passenger rail

That's just a constant thing in the back

Randallteal posted:

Northeast amtrak is good but the chicago to louisiana sleeper line is pretty fun

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Northeast amtrak is good but the chicago to louisiana sleeper line is pretty fun
expensive as poo poo tho

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
amtrak misses the whole point of public transportation by somehow being slower and more expensive than just driving to your destination alone in a car
gimme some of those high speed chinese trains

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

wielder posted:

The size of the increase is absolutely not proportional at all to real inflation over the pre-order period in all those countries. I've checked.

It's more like they want the base price to be closer to direct USD conversion but ignoring purchasing power disparities. Which is just sheer greed at the end of the day.

Objectively speaking, this is going to stimulate waiting for a big sale or just outright piracy.
Inflation here over the last entire year was 100%. Game was 4850, and it jumped to 12958, which means a 167% increase overnight.

Minimum wage here at the moment is ARS 69500, and considering we have 75% taxes on steam purchases, the game goes up to a staggering ARS 22676, or 1/3 of minimum wage.

With the price jump the game is currently more expensive than in the US, coming in at $64.54 with the new price. T_T

lets hang out posted:

Might be based on Steam's recent adjustments to their recommended regional pricing. Some indie devs have been suggesting the huge jumps in Turkey and Argentina are more about discouraging people from swapping regions to get games much cheaper than they could in their own currency, and I guess deciding the people who actually live in those countries can get hosed.
Not even close to the recommended prices. Steam's suggested regional pricing for 59.99 USD games is ARS 3999, which makes the pre-jump price already higher than the recommendation (it was 4850).

I'm just mad, both at capcom and at my loving country sorry. :v:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The 7th Guest posted:

expensive as poo poo tho

That's the big issue. I prefer the train when one is available and I'm able spare the time, but as often as not it's as much as a plane ride, and sometimes more expensive.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

goferchan posted:

SpiderHeck!! It's a really fun single-screen arena fighter. Great variety of stages and weapons and game modes, and while the controls take a second to adjust to they're quite simple and once they click you can pull off some very fun and fluid movement. It's also on Gamepass I believe.

edit: I was also able to find online matches pretty easily on the Gamepass version for anyone who's looking to play solo -- not sure if that's the same matchmaking pool as Steam though

Spelunky is fun coop

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

kazil posted:

There's good reason to dunk on American infrastructure but most derails aren't even close to the scale of what happened in Ohio

yeah the majority of it is boring poo poo like a boxcars falling off the track at 5 miles per hour inside a railyard instead of "instant superfund site."
https://twitter.com/BFRyback/status/1603148475881123841

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I am throwing a party tomorrow and I'm thinking of buying an extra game or two for local multi-player geared for a party atmosphere.

I already have all the Jackbox games, Gang Beasts, Nidhogg, etc. What are some other good ones to consider? I've heard Overcooked and Moving Out are also good.

Jamestown, Micro Mages and Streets of Rage 4 (on sale atm) have 4 player local coop.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
;nm figured it out :shobon:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 12, 2023

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is Mount & Blade: Bannerlord worth a look sometime, or would I get approximately the same experience by reinstalling Warband?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

amtrak misses the whole point of public transportation by somehow being slower and more expensive than just driving to your destination alone in a car
gimme some of those high speed chinese trains

The whole point of public transportation is I show up, someone else drives me to where I want to go, and I can sleep or play videogames while getting there. who cares if it's slower if I don't have to do as much work

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Mount & Blade: Bannerlord worth a look sometime, or would I get approximately the same experience by reinstalling Warband?

I've been wondering the same thing myself, so I looked into some reviews, though I haven't gotten back around to playing Bannerlord after the nominal end of early access to verify.

The consensus I got was "if you just want the general M&B experience of running around and punching people in the face, Bannerlord is better", but with enough asterisks that it might not be worth dropping $50 over if you already have Warband.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Bannerlord is on Gamepass these days, if you have that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any opinions on the elite 2 controller? worth upgrading if I have an xbox one controller that works fine?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'd say no. I have one and it's heavier, which is good, because like the gun in Snatch when it breaks which it apparently prone to doing you can just hit someone with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would just play Warband, I bought Bannerlord and it was more of the same but also it crashed my graphics card drivers somehow lol

Despite that it didn't do enough new to justify the price, very disappointing

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've tried to start Outward a few times and I want to like it but the combat is rough. It doesn't feel like Souls deliberate it just feels awkward as gently caress. Like it's a fumblecore game or something.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

That's the big issue. I prefer the train when one is available and I'm able spare the time, but as often as not it's as much as a plane ride, and sometimes more expensive.
traveling to visit my family via amtrak and sleeper car is like $1500 round trip lol

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Omi no Kami posted:

Depends on what you like about Warband. Probably best to keep in mind that Bannerlord falls short of an idealized "Mount & Blade 2" despite the title and is more like Warband Remastered in more ways than you'd think. By that I mean Taleworlds never truly expanded on the basic formula, but instead fleshed out minor or incomplete features from Warband. The mod scene for Bannerlord hasn't quite caught up to Warband, but there are some exciting total conversions like The Old Realms and the workshop integration is full of mods that quickly become "standard" for players like Improved Garrisons. With that said, multiplayer is more popular for Warband because the cRPG community never really made the transition to Bannerlord. I have about 500 hours in both games and honestly prefer the Bannerlord campaign for a handful of reasons that are all relatively minor but do add up into a worthwhile package: battle variety, player perks/skills customization, kingdom management, sieges, large battle management, and family management. It feels like a more complete game than Warband and is so much easier on the eyes at the same time. Like others have said, it's on Gamepass and it routinely goes on sale for 30-35 USD if you can wait for a sale.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Propaganda Hour posted:

Depends on what you like about Warband. Probably best to keep in mind that Bannerlord falls short of an idealized "Mount & Blade 2" despite the title and is more like Warband Remastered in more ways than you'd think. By that I mean Taleworlds never truly expanded on the basic formula, but instead fleshed out minor or incomplete features from Warband.

Yeah its a shame how much this lines up for me. I had fun in my +100 hours of playing, but it definitely feels like an update of the game and not really what I was hoping for, an expanded sequel.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 12, 2023

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Propaganda Hour posted:

Depends on what you like about Warband. Probably best to keep in mind that Bannerlord falls short of an idealized "Mount & Blade 2" despite the title and is more like Warband Remastered in more ways than you'd think. By that I mean Taleworlds never truly expanded on the basic formula, but instead fleshed out minor or incomplete features from Warband. The mod scene for Bannerlord hasn't quite caught up to Warband, but there are some exciting total conversions like The Old Realms and the workshop integration is full of mods that quickly become "standard" for players like Improved Garrisons. With that said, multiplayer is more popular for Warband because the cRPG community never really made the transition to Bannerlord. I have about 500 hours in both games and honestly prefer the Bannerlord campaign for a handful of reasons that are all relatively minor but do add up into a worthwhile package: battle variety, player perks/skills customization, kingdom management, sieges, large battle management, and family management. It feels like a more complete game than Warband and is so much easier on the eyes at the same time. Like others have said, it's on Gamepass and it routinely goes on sale for 30-35 USD if you can wait for a sale.

Is there like a definitive or recommended list for Bannerlord mods to get? I bought it on launch (mostly to support the dev since I spent so much on Warband) but dropped off when I got a newer comp and haven't installed it yet.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Artelier posted:

Is there like a definitive or recommended list for Bannerlord mods to get? I bought it on launch (mostly to support the dev since I spent so much on Warband) but dropped off when I got a newer comp and haven't installed it yet.

Sadly patch 1.1.0 came out on Feb 28th and broke juuuuuust about every mod. So now might not be a great time to dive into the deep end on mods, but some of the mods I used for 1.0 were:

Improved Garrisons
Diplomacy
Xorberax's Legacy
Swadian Armory
Useful Companions
Immersive Sergeant
Agriculture Estate Updated
Detailed Character Creation
Realistic Battle Mod
Distinguished Service
Manhunters Reputation

edit: these are mainly vanilla mods that don't change up the game significantly

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

lets hang out posted:

Might be based on Steam's recent adjustments to their recommended regional pricing. Some indie devs have been suggesting the huge jumps in Turkey and Argentina are more about discouraging people from swapping regions to get games much cheaper than they could in their own currency, and I guess deciding the people who actually live in those countries can get hosed.

As poster wielder said, those recommendations are a bit of a slap in the face. Prices generally went up across the board/globe, while I'm quite sure our local purchasing power has gone down in relation to the states.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Any opinions on the elite 2 controller? worth upgrading if I have an xbox one controller that works fine?

The build quality is poo poo on the Elite 2. I had to send mine in for repair due to drifting sticks, and then a few months later it started happening again.

I just gave up and started using my Dualsense on my PC instead.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I haven't had any quality problems with my elite 2 but it's a bit bulkier than a regular xbox controller and I find it kind of uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. I got this 8BitDo pad for Christmas and it's perfect for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Randallteal posted:

I haven't had any quality problems with my elite 2 but it's a bit bulkier than a regular xbox controller and I find it kind of uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. I got this 8BitDo pad for Christmas and it's perfect for me.
yeah it's a good controller. i have this version of the same controller instead, it's $20 more but it has hall effect sticks among other things. hopefully drift is a thing of the past

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The standard newest xbox controller is the best PC controller you can buy imo. The Elite 2 doesn't really seem like a worthy upgrade when the standard ones already feel like they've got such good build quality.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I got a PS5 in early autumn and ever since the DualSense has replaced the 360 controller I bought in 2010(!) as my PC's* gamepad. Partially because of how comfy it is to hold (whatever Sony's doing with each new gen model design, I hope they keep it up because somehow they just keep getting better). The other reason is the potential for more Steam games making use of the DS' haptic feedback and triggers, especially as the generation goes on and they keep that aspect of the ports across the platforms.

*For Steam, that is. It won't work on EGS with any game at all but I never spend a cent there anyway. One more reason to actually support games I like just that much via Steam!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Veotax posted:

The build quality is poo poo on the Elite 2. I had to send mine in for repair due to drifting sticks, and then a few months later it started happening again.

I just gave up and started using my Dualsense on my PC instead.

No idea why these companies won't use Hall effect sticks. Sony even put out their own poo poo quality expensive controller that lets you swap stick modules for when they inevitably drift, instead of using sticks that don't.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It was even worse the second time for me, it wasn't just drift, the dead zones hosed up in a weird and very specific way. Basically, when I pushed forward on the stick in some games (mostly FFXIV) the game would only respond as if I had pushed it partially. So my character would walk instead of run. If I rolled the stick around it would get me running, but having to roll the stick to just run forward is loving stupid and I gave up on the controller at that point instead of sending it in for repair again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kill it With Fire is a good short game if you like to pick up things and throw them

and also deal with tiny spider babies by blasting them with a shotgun

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Bought one of those mystery key bundles from fanatical.

Still Life - W2RLN-GB75X-L53Y? ?=9
Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic - 0NANW-QXI3I-3W39? ?=H
DOOM (1993) - 0N428-56B9A-BIZR? ?=J
MegaRace 1 - Y0WDY-EQHWZ-B83D? ?=X
Blacksad: Under the Skin - 0WJA3-8XRJF-YLLV? ?=Q
BARRIER X - 44DWI-LYDP0-53QM? ?=L
Pizza Connection 2 - G3ICM-BY4XR-KA20? ?=8
The Smurfs - Mission Vileaf - 2M4WB-WDR60-H3KH? ?=H

Enjoy.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I snagged Blacksad.

Edit: Atomic Heart has many phalluses.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Velocity Raptor posted:

Bought one of those mystery key bundles from fanatical.

Still Life - W2RLN-GB75X-L53Y? ?=9
Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic - 0NANW-QXI3I-3W39? ?=H
DOOM (1993) - 0N428-56B9A-BIZR? ?=J
MegaRace 1 - Y0WDY-EQHWZ-B83D? ?=X
Blacksad: Under the Skin - 0WJA3-8XRJF-YLLV? ?=Q
BARRIER X - 44DWI-LYDP0-53QM? ?=L
Pizza Connection 2 - G3ICM-BY4XR-KA20? ?=8
The Smurfs - Mission Vileaf - 2M4WB-WDR60-H3KH? ?=H

Enjoy.

My GOD!!! Is that THE SMURFS??? GRABBD!!!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Grabbed Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic, thanks velocity raptor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I took Pizza Connection 2 because really who wouldn't want to play a game about being a pizza mafia? thank you