Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Yes, level affects path action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah path actions generally take one of three types:

1. Can do them at any level and guaranteed, but you have to pay money for it or win the battle.
2. - % chance of succeeding based on level and the target. The higher your level, the better your odds.
3. - Guaranteed success as long as you're of a certain level or higher. Otherwise you can't even attempt it.

Throne's Steal is the second type, and her Ambush is the third type.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MonsterEnvy posted:

So oldest to youngest we have

Agnea 18, Ochette 20, Hikari 21, Throne 23, Partitio 24, Castti 29, Temenos 30, Osvald 39.

By jrpg standards it's a traveling retirement home

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Throne's last chapter is so edgelord it could have come out of Chained Echoes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

precision posted:

By jrpg standards it's a traveling retirement home

It's about the range of FFVII - Cloud's 21, the youngest is Yuffie at 17, and there are a couple people over 30 (Cid and Barret). Excluding the two oddball cases in Vincent and Red XIII. And the robot cat.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just looked up what the deal is with Beneath The Wall, drat this game is clever. I probably wouldn’t have figured that out on my own even though I talked to all the scholars.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm over 30 hours in the game and I only just discovered that you can use Agnea's Latent with Elemental Barrage. That's fun.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

That sounds amazing at max boost.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Throne's last chapter is so edgelord it could have come out of Chained Echoes.

The wild swings in tone are amazing

I'm amazed they made the requisite monster character so compelling. Ochette is :3:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

precision posted:

I'm amazed they made the requisite monster character so compelling. Ochette is :3:

She's my favorite out of the group, with Partitio a close second. Though the Beastlings are :3: as a whole, I enjoyed reading through their bios.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Welp. I took down the final boss and saw the credits and epilogue. I'm not crying you're crying! What an amazing game goddamn. This will probably be rambley and maybe borderling incoherent but I wanna write down all my thoughts right after the big finish.

Osvald: Good god is Harvey a bastard. The plot seems (and is) mostly straightforward. And then oops jk your wife didn't die in the fire I just used her for human experimentation anyways what's left of her is in this golem. Oh hey your daughter is alive oops jk I rewrote her memories so she doesn't even know who you are. The experience as a whole is a bit cliche but it's still some pretty great melodrama and Osvald's VA absolutely tears up the scenery in the more emotional beats. The battle with Harvey basically being a Super Saiyan battle was absurd in the best way possible. Not the strongest story in the game but even when it's weak this game delivers experiences well beyond anything from the first game.

Castti: Probably my favorite story out of all of them. Goddamn. Castti is such a rad character. Just this sweet cinnamon roll that will go through hell and high water to help those in need but also god help you if you get on her bad side because she does not put up with any bullshit. Chapter 3 was just a massive parade of gut punches and even though you could see some of the plot coming it still hurt regardless. Has probably the coolest integration of her unique mechanics with crafting a plague cure right there, manually in a battle menu with full boost. And then soothing Malaya as a way of symbolically putting the past to rest is just the chef's kiss. 10/10 experience what a ride.

Temenos: Never got tired of Church Sherlock. He's such a smarmy rear end in a top hat all the time and it's always great to see the various villains try to gently caress with him just for him to be completely unfazed. Also another Chapter 3 gut punch because I loved his dynamic with Crick and that was heartbreaking. Seeing Temenos get vulnerable over his death was painful too. Then you get to the final boss of his story and it just becomes a loving Bloodborne boss which felt so obvious in hindsight but still caught me off guard. "Doubt is what I do" will be ingrained in my head until the end of time.

Ochette: I went into the game not really having high expectations for her because little beast gremlin girl isn't typically something that enthuses me much. However Ochette is wonderful. She does the whole "only thinks about meat" thing but it never actually grates, weirdly. Likely because it's balanced out but her just being such a pure loving individual. The final boss was equal parts horrifying and depressing. I want to eat jerky that she's made, it looks amazing despite being sprites.

Partitio: God is it possible to not love this man? Somehow the most pure hearted character in the game despite inventing capitalism and cross-continental railroads. Never get tired of hearing him speak either, massive kudos to Jas Patrick. It was fun to actually be given 80 Billion to manually make a deal with. Then you beat up a train. Just fun all the way through. I would marry this man.

Agnea: Just lots of feel-good times all the way through. Nothing is all that huge on stakes so it always felt like a nice breather between some of the other heavier stories. It was fun to watch Agnea go full Karen Mode on La'mani in Chapter 2 and she was just fun and wholesome throughout. Always was entertained by her lapses into her southern accent. Song of Hope slaps.

Throne: What if we did Primrose's story but made it not suck? The Blacksnakes are hosed up as poo poo and it's actually uncomfortable how cult like it all is. Makes it immensely satisfying to take down all the jerkasses. I wasn't as down on Chapter 4 as some people were because Claude does get more explanation in the endgame finale. The whole chapter was horribly uncomfortable though. Just... loving yikes. This man literally populated an entire thieves' guild and a dilapidated town and nobody is mentally okay. And then they just couldn't resist making the boss sprite of Claude have his titties out with a full manspread on display as if he wasn't unnerving enough. 10/10.

Hikari: Felt like a nice samurai movie plot. Hikari is a very likeable character and it's satisfying to watch him consistently resist his inner demon and also swat down any and all attempts at demoralizing speeches. I might be biased though because he was my main. Ritsu was a good frustrating "stop being a loving moron" character to watch just dig deeper and deeper into his stupid hole. By the end you are invested in fixing Ku from being the lovely nation that fostered all these terrible mindsets.

Crossed Paths & Finale: They did the whole "villains hiding in plain sight" thing waaaaaay better here than in the first game. In the first the villain was only present in the requisite "do these sidequests to unlock endgame" stories and it was fairly obvious where that was going from the start. But here I was legitimately caught off guard by all the reveals throughout the finale because they were characters you'd been working with and interacting with through various character stories. Seeing the whole cast together and doing stuff was great too. Vide was a kicking rad as hell final boss, getting to make use of all 8 characters in one battle was loving amazing. The fight kept me on my toes too even with how broken I'd managed to make some of my characters. Also goddamn that final boss track holy poo poo. The epilogue was an incredible good bow to tie on the whole package and Agnea's speech at the very end actually managed to tear me up after spending nearly 60 hours with these people.

Just... goddamn what a game. I love this game. What a loving masterpiece. This is already going to be an insanely strong contender for GotY for me once this year's thread starts.

In Summary:

Yeehawww!!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I pretty much agree on all those points and I just want to add a little thing I noticed that you may also have (Finale spoilers): If you put together the names of every characters' equivalent dark traveler (and swap Osvald and Ochette, who are listed fourth and first, respectively, in the chapter screen), their first letters spell out OCTOPATH backwards; Harvey, Trousseu, Arcanette, Petrichor, Oboro's sister, Tanzy, Claude, Oboro.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh yeah I did read that earlier. :v: They really love doing the OCTOPATH anagram thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think what makes Partitio work is

He really isn't about capitalism. Money, to him, is just a resource that can be given to people to allow them to get the resources they actually need. His end goal is that everyone can achieve what they want to achieve and do so without living in poverty or misery. He even admits that if he had the kind of moneys the others have he'd see no real purpose to a fancy house because that isn't what money is to him.

It really makes the character work because he has a clear defined idea of why he wants to make money and its purpose that has nothing to do with the actual accumulation of wealth. He obviously enjoys getting good deals and being a merchant but at the end of the day that is just because he likes working out deals that make everyone happy. His greeting being giving away money is a cute little thing but it also is his personality in a nutshell. Money has no value to him except how it represents the power to give people the ability to do things.

It's a lot easier to enjoy the act of someone earning a lot of money when that money is instantly being reinvested to make other people's lives genuinely better with no thought of hoarding whatsoever.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm enjoying this game but god choice paralysis over who to level is bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

The most important thing is that level matters a lot less than equipment so don't stress.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's a banter with Ochette where she sums up that exact notion in a very succinct, meat-based metaphor: "A kind hunter is always hungry," because they'll never have enough meat for themselves as long as there's anyone else who needs it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Partitio's story is certainly a pretty unique one to play as. I don't know how often you get to play as someone who has the same goal he does. The story itself isn't exactly something that hits my high notes, but Partitio himself just makes it work. Also, thankee kindly is adorable.

A Sometimes Food posted:

As someone who kinda had the same issue keeping people levelled, it's not really a huge deal. Either get a super party of 4 or rotate party members in and out as you see fit. Gear handles most of it which you naturally pick up as you go along and either find in chests or steal/mug/entreat/purchase. You can do stuff like make sure everyone gets the +500 hp passive from Apothecary or something if you're worried.

Eventually you get the +exp passives and then it's a bit easier to keep people levelled to a point where you're comfortable even if they're below a recommended level. And worst case, thanks to subjobs or even main jobs for some characters, everyone can still play support to a degree. Even Osvald (the most 'pure DPS only' character) has high E.Def that lets him heal effectively.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I think what makes Partitio work is

He really isn't about capitalism. Money, to him, is just a resource that can be given to people to allow them to get the resources they actually need. His end goal is that everyone can achieve what they want to achieve and do so without living in poverty or misery. He even admits that if he had the kind of moneys the others have he'd see no real purpose to a fancy house because that isn't what money is to him.

It really makes the character work because he has a clear defined idea of why he wants to make money and its purpose that has nothing to do with the actual accumulation of wealth. He obviously enjoys getting good deals and being a merchant but at the end of the day that is just because he likes working out deals that make everyone happy. His greeting being giving away money is a cute little thing but it also is his personality in a nutshell. Money has no value to him except how it represents the power to give people the ability to do things.

It's a lot easier to enjoy the act of someone earning a lot of money when that money is instantly being reinvested to make other people's lives genuinely better with no thought of hoarding whatsoever.

He's amazing yeah. Like the ideal all of us daydream about if we won the lotto.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So do Ochette's animals use her stats? Do the elemental ones use e atk? THe healing ones e def?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah Partitio's story is certainly a pretty unique one to play as. I don't know how often you get to play as someone who has the same goal he does. The story itself isn't exactly something that hits my high notes, but Partitio himself just makes it work. Also, thankee kindly is adorable.

As someone who kinda had the same issue keeping people levelled, it's not really a huge deal. Either get a super party of 4 or rotate party members in and out as you see fit. Gear handles most of it which you naturally pick up as you go along and either find in chests or steal/mug/entreat/purchase. You can do stuff like make sure everyone gets the +500 hp passive from Apothecary or something if you're worried.

Eventually you get the +exp passives and then it's a bit easier to keep people levelled to a point where you're comfortable even if they're below a recommended level. And worst case, thanks to subjobs or even main jobs for some characters, everyone can still play support to a degree. Even Osvald (the most 'pure DPS only' character) has high E.Def that lets him heal effectively.

Yeah I guess. I just always try to level some people then see something I can get on someone else and... yeah.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I'm getting deeper into this.
I am a menace.
I spend more time fighting and robbing townsfolk than I spend fighting monsters.
Am I the last boss?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

precision posted:

The wild swings in tone are amazing

Gaou!

I most recently picked up Ochette, and her ability seems pretty handy. I suddenly have pretty full coverage for weapons/elements thanks to her monster capturing thing.

I've also found that recruiting people via her or Temenos is a bit more useful than I expected. It seems like they can soak some hits in addition to stuff like giving you buffs, and they last quite a few uses. Seems like it's always worth having one around.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

A Sometimes Food posted:

So do Ochette's animals use her stats? Do the elemental ones use e atk? THe healing ones e def?

Yeah I guess. I just always try to level some people then see something I can get on someone else and... yeah.

Her monsters don't scale with her stats, they're just dependent on the strength of the monster itself and any Boosted states. Buffs on Ochette don't count either, but debuffs on enemies will.

It means that capturing powerful enemies early lets her hit beyond her weight class, but late game they become a bit more niche or are a 1-use option for burst.

Honestly, just go with whatever feels good. OT2 is pretty generous about letting you do what you want while still developing a strategy with specific party members thanks to the subjob system. Them adding in Talents and Latent Powers also really help to carve out identities for each character, which is something that OT1 kinda lacked outside of specific job combinations and stats.

Ytlaya posted:

Gaou!

I most recently picked up Ochette, and her ability seems pretty handy. I suddenly have pretty full coverage for weapons/elements thanks to her monster capturing thing.

I've also found that recruiting people via her or Temenos is a bit more useful than I expected. It seems like they can soak some hits in addition to stuff like giving you buffs, and they last quite a few uses. Seems like it's always worth having one around.

There are two other party members that can recruit people, and they give further benefits based on what people they recruit, so you can definitely build around that.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Huh. So on PS5, when I logged on, I got a notification on the home menu that my OT2 data got corrupted and my save data deleted due to it.

Very glad I followed through on finishing the superboss now.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

All aboard the team ATOP train. Angea, Temenos, Ochette, Partitio, each with a recruited ally. Your traveling party is 9 long.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think I called Partitio “Capitalism Forrest Gump” before but I was mistaken. The unwavering positivity, the extreme trust/gullibility, the penchant for inviting his enemies to join his team, the ability to do basically anything up to and including (final chapter spoiler) beat the poo poo out of the world’s first Train-Tank, Partitio is actually the lead in his own Shonen Jump Manga about capitalism.

edit for unrelated fan art

https://twitter.com/hanpaopaoo/status/1634501463568433152?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

So I got around to doing Castti's chapter 3. Jesus Christ.

I think she's got my favorite story line so far. Only Throne, Partito, and Ochette's chapter 3s left, then all chapter 4s.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just wiped to the boss of the Quicksand Gaol after like ten minutes, and because the save point is at the start I would also have to get all the treasures again.

Really annoying boss.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
pro-tip; whenever you get the "overwhelming danger" prompt, back off, pick up any treasures you missed, and hit up the save point one last time

if you have evasive maneuvers up you'll get a single random encounter at most between the save point and the boss chest IME, it's worth the small hassle

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Doing the "Chapter 5's" now. Got my main (Castti) done so she can finally take a break on the bench, are there any others I should prioritize for any reason? (please spoiler any answers for other people)

Besides Hikari's to get the last secret job, that's my next one planned.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Depends on your priorities, but I would recommend Hikari, for access to Ku, yes, then Throné for filling in that big blank spot on the map (and also has some decent loot, particularly the reward for the subsequent Next Chapter sidequest), and then Ochette for the less notable blank spot at the bottom of Toto'haha. After those no one springs to mind for reasons other than liking that character/plotline, though everyone gets a new EX skill after their plot concludes, so if there's a character you intend to keep in the party for a long stretch, you mght want to do them early as well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have completed all chapters except the final ones for each character. I decided to clear out some of the side quests, the one in Storm with the woman whose boyfriend ghosted her was stupid. Stealing the necklace led to a way better ending than bringing her stupid boyfriend back. I did the latter but loaded a previous save because you turn him into a stalker lol

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Depends on your priorities, but I would recommend Hikari, for access to Ku, yes, then Throné for filling in that big blank spot on the map (and also has some decent loot, particularly the reward for the subsequent Next Chapter sidequest), and then Ochette for the less notable blank spot at the bottom of Toto'haha. After those no one springs to mind for reasons other than liking that character/plotline, though everyone gets a new EX skill after their plot concludes, so if there's a character you intend to keep in the party for a long stretch, you mght want to do them early as well.

Hikari was my main and I did his last and regret it since Ku opens up a lot of really good stuff. An extra class and two of the Battle Tested weapons become available after his story ends.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

21 hours in I finally completed the Octet by recruiting the apothecary. Not that I wasn't interested in her or anything but I kept getting distracted and didn't want to deal with Prologue #8.
(Yes I know you don't have to do them but I totally have to do them).

Game is good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Only other one I can think of is at least going to Partitio's location just so you can get the item to finish Inventor, though this doesn't mean you have to complete the quest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Finished up Throne chapter 3s today.

Fighting up into an 8 level disadvantage makes for some pretty interesting stuff.

But desperation is the mother of invention, so i managed it all, just about!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Temenos being 30 is kind of surprising to me - one of the rare situations where the stated age of a character in an anime-adjacent media seems older than their appearance/voice. I would have guessed more like 25 or so.

I like him a lot though. Favorite of the 4 starting chapters I've done so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Temenos is a sassy bitch and I love him

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I love how much Temenos/Crick fan art there is, that sort of relationship is catnip to nerds of all flavors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I’ve been slamming my face into the final story for a while here and it’s made me realize… I’ve just been brute forcing things with overleveled Throne and Ochette. Anyone have any recommendations for team comps heading to the final bosses?

Also, grinding tip for post-Partitio, if it hasn’t been mentioned: you can hire Alrond in Wellgrove for 160k after doing the Butler’s side quest and his summon will multiply XP and JP. The only hard part is finding a cait.