Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

In Sons of the forest, sometimes when I try to build I get this icon that looks like a red broken log and I can't place an item. Does it mean it can't handle the weight? Something is in the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I gave Zero Sievert another chance and yeah I get the appeal :commissar:

On Survivor difficulty and I've painfully dragged my win ratio up to 31%, my biggest complaint about the game is the load times are absolutely savage

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

In Sons of the Forest, I'm finding the mud people to be extremely tedious enemies. It's not like they patrol anywhere, they just magically spawn near you every 5 minutes. And you have to either rush them and get it over with or wait till one of them jumps at you. The only positive is that it's free meat delivery if you hack up the bodies, but I haven't found myself ever having an issue with food in the first place.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Yeah the patrolling system in The Forest was very cool because you could figure out the traffic areas and stay clear or not. Didn't realize that SoTF just spawns them in like that. I imagine more complex AI stuff is another feature not in EA.

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off
I’ve just been playing Sons of The Forest as a lumberjack simulator in peaceful mode. I don’t feel like dealing with constantly escalating cannibal attacks on my ski lodge. The building system is a little finicky where you need to find the exact pixel to correctly place something but it’s still fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think I'm going to put down Planet Crafter, game's pretty good and overall very chill but the tech tree feels like there's things missing from it or needs to be reworked now that there's things like automation and drones and whatnot. I haven't unlocked that stuff yet but it already kinda feels like I'm running out of things to do except plonk down more of the same buildings and wait for the numbers to go up so I can unlock the next thing. I don't really see what automation or drones will add beyond allowing me to put down more of the same buildings but quicker.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Padams posted:

I’ve just been playing Sons of The Forest as a lumberjack simulator in peaceful mode. I don’t feel like dealing with constantly escalating cannibal attacks on my ski lodge. The building system is a little finicky where you need to find the exact pixel to correctly place something but it’s still fun.

I finished it this morning with my wife and we was wondering if it's possible to deforest the whole island.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Oysters Autobio posted:

Yeah the patrolling system in The Forest was very cool because you could figure out the traffic areas and stay clear or not. Didn't realize that SoTF just spawns them in like that. I imagine more complex AI stuff is another feature not in EA.

The regular cannibals do seem to patrol in certain areas near their camps, and I think that's totally fine. It's just the super primitive ones covered in mud that spawn in randomly. The only places where they don't are the beaches and high in the mountains.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Godlessdonut posted:

The regular cannibals do seem to patrol in certain areas near their camps, and I think that's totally fine. It's just the super primitive ones covered in mud that spawn in randomly. The only places where they don't are the beaches and high in the mountains.

Now I may be completely wrong about this but I believe this is due to them spawning in bushes. I see them springing out of them all the time.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

swordfish duelist posted:

Now I may be completely wrong about this but I believe this is due to them spawning in bushes. I see them springing out of them all the time.

I've seen this, my partner has a worse PC and streams so she turns the graphics settings down and she can often spot the monkey mud men hiding before I see them.

She can see the model of the cannibal really clearly and I just see a pile of leaves etc waiting for me to get close before jumping out.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

I think I'm going to put down Planet Crafter, game's pretty good and overall very chill but the tech tree feels like there's things missing from it or needs to be reworked now that there's things like automation and drones and whatnot. I haven't unlocked that stuff yet but it already kinda feels like I'm running out of things to do except plonk down more of the same buildings and wait for the numbers to go up so I can unlock the next thing. I don't really see what automation or drones will add beyond allowing me to put down more of the same buildings but quicker.

I unlocked the drones a few days ago and they're very good for collecting all the cruft from your miners into one place to have an autocrafter make super alloys, and pulling all the other important mined ore into lockers at your base, but yeah, you're not wrong. That saves me time running back and forth but otherwise doesn't change the game play. The one thing I'd say is worth doing if you haven't already is doing the quest chain that starts from the message from Riley which gives you coordinates. That has some neat locations and some lore about the planet. The game needs more stuff like that. It works especially well since while you are out running around all your numbers from existing buildings are still going up. So it was cool to take a break from plonking down buildings, do some exploration, and come back to some new stuff already unlocked. But if you've already done that and you're at insect or even tree stage, yeah, there's not a lot going on besides more of the same.

I'm about done with it for the moment too. I'm very close to unlocking fish stage, which is the last thing for now, so I'll probably do that and see what making fish is like, and then put it down until the next major update. Still, I enjoyed what's there so far and felt like I got my money's worth out of it for the moment.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the info, I completely agree about the exploration stuff. The space you can explore is not that large and with the boots upgrades and the jetpack upgrades I can traverse around pretty quickly so I feel like I've seen most of everything there is to see. If there was more stuff peppered in there to discover while the numbers tick up it probably would give me more of an incentive to keep going but eh. I am not hating the loop at the moment but it just feels like the kind of thing that could potentially be a lot better with some more dev time if they decide to add more story or locations to explore so I don't really want to put any more time into it now.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Recently I tried out the Frost Fallout 4 set of mods (using the Get Frosty modlist) and man its really good imho. I also tried out the Stalker-themed modlist called Lost World which is a similar gritty survival mod overhaul of Fallout 4, though its more along the lines of trying to be like Stalker or Tarkov in terms of gameplay(no VATS, much more gunplay focus), while Frost is much harsher and scrappier (like finding a Garand with 7 rounds).

It's a bit too over the top in terms of dealing with radiation (there's both atmospheric radiation and all the uncooked food is radiated, and not enough simple cooked food recipes) and scrapping/crafting is a little too difficult as well (I still havent even made a fire because my character needs level 2 in the Hunter trait to make a fire 🥶). The core gameplay though is very fun in terms of combat and how easy you can die, its got a cool sanity system ala Green Hell which penalizes you from just murdering everyone you see (you lose sanity from killing other humans) and very often you've got so little ammo and its so easy to die that you very often avoid combat unless you can really ambush them. There's also a small mini storyline but haven't got that far yet.

Not gonna lie, the installation experience is very crunchy. You use this modlist installer that literally opens a new window one by one to the download link for each individual mod on Nexus, so Lost World is composed of some 364 individual mods (Frost only has 60 thankfully). But, the level of customization/configs most of these mods have built in is staggering, and the base Fallout 4 game really does have all the right guts it seems to over mod the crap out of it ala Skyrim for this genre.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

swordfish duelist posted:

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've seen this, my partner has a worse PC and streams so she turns the graphics settings down and she can often spot the monkey mud men hiding before I see them.

She can see the model of the cannibal really clearly and I just see a pile of leaves etc waiting for me to get close before jumping out.

So what I'm hearing is that I need to cut down every goddamn bush on the island :thunk:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Godlessdonut posted:

So what I'm hearing is that I need to cut down every goddamn bush on the island :thunk:

Fire?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Oysters Autobio posted:

You use this modlist installer that literally opens a new window one by one to the download link for each individual mod on Nexus.

What the hell

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sounds like Wabbajack when you don't have Nexus premium to automate the process,.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

BrianRx posted:

What the hell

Yup, its called Wabbajack and basically it lets you download someone's compiled modlist thats been tested to work together, but I guess they're limited by the mod website's API or something so to auto-download you have to pay for Nexus premium, lol. I don't really understand the whole modlist thing and why they can't just package together a modpack but I know there's weird obsessive ownership stuff with mods ("DONT STEAL MY MOD!!").

It also got me to get into some of the absurd modding community megalomaniacs and weirdos. My favourite highlights so far:

- There's a semi-popular mod where the guy removed the mod from Nexus and now requires you to have to register on his Discord and ask for a download link essentially.

- Mod incompatibility lists that both include technical glitches (i.e. this mod wont work with my mod) but also mods that "go against choices in development" or "breaks immersion". They're intermixed so you dont know if the mod listed will break your game or just go against the original modders "vision".

- Overly aggressive instructions ("WE WILL NOT SUPPORT YOU IF YOU DID NOT DO STEPS 3A-3B EXACTLY")

Its great though, it really creates a brand new game even if you have to wade through all the crap.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 7, 2023

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Fallout Frost will run with just the core mod, you don't need all of the extras if you don't want'em. They also have a discord for it that has a non-nexus installer I believe.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Oysters Autobio posted:

- There's a semi-popular mod where the guy removed the mod from Nexus and now requires you to have to register on his Discord and ask for a download link essentially.

- Overly aggressive instructions ("WE WILL NOT SUPPORT YOU IF YOU DID NOT DO STEPS 3A-3B EXACTLY")

Love to be in dozens of discords for a singular file each. God I really really hate the trend of using discord as wiki/distribution you get nowdays with allot of mod projects.

And like, I get that you all probably get asked the same questions a dozen times a day, but it's your own drat fault for the format of where your keeping your information. Most people ain't gonna check the pins, let alone scroll back through god knows how much chaff to find their one problem. Just make a loving wiki, please. [/rant]

Oysters Autobio posted:

- Mod incompatibility lists that both include technical glitches (i.e. this mod wont work with my mod) but also mods that "go against choices in development" or "breaks immersion". They're intermixed so you dont know if the mod listed will break your game or just go against the original modders "vision".

Reminds me of that one guy from way back who made his (very popular) skyrim? mod purposefully incompatible with mods by people he didn't like. In that his mod would check for theirs and then break everything if it found it.

I did a FROST playthrough a bit ago myself, tho I think I hosed up something with the install (I did it manually) as it was pretty crashy at times. Was fun but tedious in allot of ways, and being unable to differentiate between 'people who are chill, people who are territorial, and people who are hostile' at a distance just wasn't fun for me, especially with how penalized you are for killing humans.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

Reminds me of that one guy from way back who made his (very popular) skyrim? mod purposefully incompatible with mods by people he didn't like. In that his mod would check for theirs and then break everything if it found it.

That's downright mild compared to the poo poo Minecraft modders get up to.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jawnycat posted:

Love to be in dozens of discords for a singular file each. God I really really hate the trend of using discord as wiki/distribution you get nowdays with allot of mod projects.
God, tell me about it. It's gotten to the point a lot of mods and projects literally won't even have an "About" page to tell you what it even does. Just join our discord and ask someone instead!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Discords for project support and downloads feel like the perfect storm for an insane modder. They crave the suck-up community and attention and get to run a fiefdom, yet setting it up is the absolute worst way to support something like that so a ton of the attention they get ends up being confused people trying to just use their poo poo.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Bussamove posted:

Mt annoyance with Card Survival was not realizing for ages I could just use an axe on the Jungle card to get wood, but that’s 100% on me for not noticing.

You can also do this in a few places like the grasslands and dig up dirt with a shovel. You get bugs every so often, too, which can make great bait.

Another weird tip - if you take embers from a fire and apply it to a piece of wood, it burns a hole that you can easily add a sharpened rock to for a faster axe. You can also craft a primitive spear in a fire to save 15 minutes.

The craziest one that saves a ton of time is that if you grind dirt (15 minutes), and then add water (3 minutes - easiest done when it's raining with one coconut partially filled, or seawater), you get clay, saving 12 minutes if you made it from mud.

You also save time for some crafting if you have a table and a chair, saves 15 minutes from a handful of tasks, potentially making them free. A potting wheel does a bit of the same, but you get it so late game that I've only had it once and it wasn't really that necessary.

If you're trying to unlock crop plot, try grinding snake grass in addition to harvesting plants. Make sure you spread out your skill up activities by four hours or so - you get diminishing returns on the same activity at the same location for a four hour period.

I'm trying to beat the Mermaid start, and man is it crazy hard. This is the first time I've gotten to day 91 and felt it was worth continuing, so hopefully I can make it to the end with her this time!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've a had a good run going, preparing for the dry season but then all my poo poo got blown away by a storm and I froze to death :eyepop: Should've finished that mud hut earlier I think! (I was just missing 2 logs :negative:)

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Discords for project support and downloads feel like the perfect storm for an insane modder. They crave the suck-up community and attention and get to run a fiefdom, yet setting it up is the absolute worst way to support something like that so a ton of the attention they get ends up being confused people trying to just use their poo poo.

Yup, it's the perfect storm. Plus they always setup these unreadable discords with info strewn about in different channels haphazardly. Or my favorite is someone asking a question and it being interpreted as a criticism of the mod.

"Does this have <Function X>?"
"NO. That's for babies and idiots, go play Minecraft you scrub"

quote:

That's hilarious, yeah Frost has a mod check tool too. Its great cause it makes sure you ordered the moss right, but because of the aforementioned megalomania I'm sure that some mods on the blocklist simply go against *the vision*.

My favourite is people being obsessive over ownership as if they own some exclusive intellectual property. Forgetting obviously all the help/support others have by showing how they modded whatever, you get some guy thinking he's protecting the Coca Cola recipe and outs in faux legalese requirements on his download page despite it being just uncompiled open scripts

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 7, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

OneTwentySix posted:

Another weird tip - if you take embers from a fire and apply it to a piece of wood, it burns a hole that you can easily add a sharpened rock to for a faster axe.

what the gently caress

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Oysters Autobio posted:

Yup, it's the perfect storm. Plus they always setup these unreadable discords with info strewn about in different channels haphazardly. Or my favorite is someone asking a question and it being interpreted as a criticism of the mod.

"Does this have <Function X>?"
"NO. That's for babies and idiots, go play Minecraft you scrub"

Yeah this was my exact experience with Stalker’s GAMMA discord. I asked if something could be disabled and immediately got the “well it’s hardcore why are you playing this is if you want these sounds disabled” response from a dude.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

what the gently caress

This fuckin’ game.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

I've a had a good run going, preparing for the dry season but then all my poo poo got blown away by a storm and I froze to death :eyepop: Should've finished that mud hut earlier I think! (I was just missing 2 logs :negative:)

Are you building on the beach? Try the jungle, your things won't blow away in there. And the logs for the mud hut are just the first step :(

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Patch today for Sons of the Forest added some neat stuff:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1326470/view/3680042425366182429

I'm most excited for the Hang Glider as I just finished a zipline system to take me from my base to the top of the mountain.

Edit: Also being able to lock doors and build gates for defensive walls is nice lol

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 9, 2023

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hakarne posted:

Patch today for Sons of the Forest added some neat stuff:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1326470/view/3680042425366182429

I'm most excited for the Hang Glider as I just finished a zipline system to take me from my base to the top of the mountain.

Edit: Also being able to lock doors and build gates for defensive walls is nice lol

Awesome, no more needing ziplines or the chair exploit to get through walls.

And I'm glad they're adding vehicles. I hope this is the start and they'll later add something like an ATV or dirt bike, because the island is pretty big and empty at the moment.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone played Necesse recently? I know it was talked about some time ago but since it's still EA, any recent updates and how is it going in general?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I got that card survival game people were talking about a while back.

How do you tell what your actions did? All I can see when I take an action is an explosion of stat changes. When I go to look at the stats there's no log of how much difference the last change made or even why the stat went up or down.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 12, 2023

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

For the most part, you just want to keep track of some of the main stats - food, water, morale, wakefulness, pain, loneliness, and stamina are all important, but food and water are the ones you'll most want to pay attention to. As you get used to the game, you'll start to understand what affects what, what's important, etc. You can always click on a stat and then there'll be a tab that should tell you what is currently affecting it, too.

Basically though, starting up you just want to worry about your basic needs and improving your situation.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Card Survival Stats

Generally, stats only show up in the bottom left if they're far enough from the norm. If they're close enough to ideal, they'll disappear from the list.
If you click on your character's portrait, it brings up a menu with 'equipment, wounds, and character along the top. Click on the miniature character portrait and it'll list your background. The button with three dots and three lines will bring you to your FULL stat page(s). Any one of these you can pin to the bottom left menu or click for further information, like what other things it is affected and what is causing it to go up/down, as well as even more help through the ?.

You can pin any stat into the tracking area, but you probably don't need to know how sick of bananas you are at all times. If the stat is already in the tracking area, you can click on it and then pin that so it doesn't disappear on you when the stat isn't a concern any more.

If the stat icon isn't in the bottom left it probably isn't worth worrying about right now. It's probably some trivial amount of fatigue or the fact that you're starting to hate coconuts but you're not tired of them yet. Once it is actually impacting something or close to that point, then it'll populate in the stat screen and you'll know to change your diet or take a 15 minute nap.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What's the consensus on Sons of the Forest? I played The Forest a bit with friends, but I lost interest without friends. With weird companions, a prettier forest and those sweet building mechanics, this seems more interesting. One of my favorite parts of Valheim is just being a lumberjack, as Padams alluded to.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like Sons already has a lot of QoL stuff the original is missing, but lacks some content. I enjoyed my playthrough of Sons but it was pretty fast, in the long run it will likely be quite a bit better, at least for me. Waiting for a while for some new features/ content to pick it up again.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I picked it up with the thought that I could refund it based on posts here, so I've got about 55 minutes to figure out if lumberjackcore is enough. Currently I'm on custom difficulty with all the enemy settings tuned to easy, because peaceful just kinda seems like it would take away a lot of content. I'm considering turning off structure damage as well, but it's hard to know what the proper balance is when one's expectations for the game is so individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

papersack posted:

Are you building on the beach? Try the jungle, your things won't blow away in there. And the logs for the mud hut are just the first step :(

Yeah, on the beach. I haven't considered moving because last time I stayed in the jungle just for two days a boar broke my leg and that meant slow walking and decreased carry weight for a long time...