Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Dave Pasch is so tiresome.

E: TELL 'EM BILL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This dude, a literal former ASU employee so no loving excuse, really tried to say UCLA v Arizona is a bigger rivalry than ASU v Arizona.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Boise collapsing

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

If I were Boise State I would simply not commit two technical fouls in the final 5 minutes.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1634286363536138240?s=46&t=l3BNUY1tDwZOYN9ilB4yAg

21 years coaching without a losing season, just never got it to work out at St John’s. Thought they might beat Marquette and save his job but the loss in OT plus word going around of other programs after Pitino probably made this move happen

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
oops slept way in

starting today: the Ivy, which because it just has to be special, holds only a four-team tournament even though they could easily just bring all eight in on Friday. (but does anyone really want to make an extra trip each year to Princeton?) anyways Yale has become by far the steadiest program in the conference and if they win through this time will almost certainly beat someone like UVA in round one. if Princeton defends their home court or Penn/Cornell somehow get through, not so much. [noting as of this post that Cornell is getting whipped by Yale so not so much them]

finals on finals day:
  • America East, 11 AM: UMass Lowell v Vermont should be fun unless only one of them comes out cold and it turns into a blowout. It’d be Lowell’s first NCAA trip.
  • MEAC, 1 PM: Howard trying to get to their first tournament since 1992, Norfolk State trying to go to their third in three years. bad basketball, good spectacle.
  • SWAC, 5:30 PM: Grambling State has never made a tournament since going D1 and enters tomorrow with probably their best ever team plus a favorable draw against 8-seed Texas Southern, who they’ve crushed twice this year. this would probably be the saddest one if it doesn’t pan out.
  • Mountain West, 6 PM: San Diego State vs. Utah State should be a pretty solid game, both KP top 20 teams. SDSU took both regular season meetings but the away trip was very close and USU has been playing very well.
  • Big 12, 6:00 PM: unless you have skin in the game i cannot imagine caring about who wins between a championship between Texas and Kansas, next
    Big East, 6:30 PM: Marquette and Xavier is a top-seed battle but also a showcase for two teams that seem like they’re getting slept on nationally
  • MAAC, 7:30 PM: Pitino’s Iona will be heavily favored against 10-seed Marist, but it would be very funny if he lost
  • MAC, 7:30 PM: Kent State won the season’s one matchup with Toledo but since then the Rockets have won 17 straight, the longest streak in the country right now. potentially the best game of the weekend if they both lock in
  • Conference USA, 8:30 PM: one of the few bid thief chances, UAB is playing well and was one of the two conference teams to beat Florida Atlantic this year.
  • ACC, 8:30 PM: Duke and Virginia both seem to be playing closer to their best, and they are the two teams in the conference with the highest ceilings, so Virginia’s offense aside this could be a good one. the winner gets to actually feel like they accomplished something before they and the loser and 4 or 5 other ACC teams go off to lose in the first round
  • Big West, 9:30 PM: Fullerton vs. UC Santa Barbara, poor Riverside has to wait again. Ajay Mitchell for UCSB is a very fun point guard to watch, should be a good matchup with Fullerton’s Latrell Wrightsell.
  • Pac 12, 10:30 PM: unless you have skin in the game i cannot imagine caring about who wins between a championship between UCLA and Arizona
  • WAC, 11:30 PM: Southern Utah and Grand Canyon cleared out the top two seeds last night and will play a coin flipper tonight for the berth, tough break for Utah Valley in particular.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Turned the UMass Lowell / Vermont game on cause I love watching teams clinch berths to the dance and I think I am bad luck cause Vermont just pushed it to their biggest lead of the game at the U8 timeout

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Houston vs Cincinnati in the Big 12 Preview Tournament

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

[*]Big 12, 6:00 PM: unless you have skin in the game i cannot imagine caring about who wins between a championship between Texas and Kansas
[/list]

Even as a Texas fan, eh

It would be awesome to win a Big 12 Championship* and win the deciding series game against Kansas. But with Timmy Allen probably out again and nothing to play for except the less-prestigious "title", doesn't feel like a very important game for Texas. We're a mortal lock for a 2 seed. I guess we can maybe knock Kansas out of a 1 seed with a big win? It would be good to get Disu and Bishop more time in the spotlight before the tourney.

*Tournament championship, which I feel isn't nearly as cool as winning the regular season title

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Woof, Mizzou and Bama off to a really bad start shooting the ball

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

some really bad shooting in mizzou/bama so far

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

imagine how good the Tigers would be if they could actually make a bucket in the first 10 minutes of a game consistently

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I loving hate Ohio State but my lust for upsets has me hoping they can somehow win the Big 10 Tournament as a 13 seed just to put a cap on this weird loving season

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Alabama giving Mizzou every chance to win this game but they keep missing loving layups

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

so is the key for mizzou to take endless contested 3s??

Doctor Teeth fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 11, 2023

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I cannot believe that Hodge three went in lol

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
the game of the moment is clearly Norfolk State vs. Howard

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Bama pulling away since Mizzou can't hit easy buckets, but how is that a fuckin charge on Kobe Brown with how physical they've let them play

Mizzou 14/40 from 2, won't beat many teams with that kinda performance

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 11, 2023

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
BTFU.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Howard going back to the NCAAs for the first time in three decades by the thinness of the underside of the rim
https://twitter.com/TheNdCAA/status/1634653861343551489?s=20

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
PSU now has more big ten tournament title game appearances than indiana. how the gently caress is that even real

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Grambling absolutely bricking it, would probably like to start this game over

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Painter/Shrewberry showdown!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

really gonna need this SDSU/USU Mountain West final to come through, other than the Howard game it's been slow going today

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Disu already in foul trouble :/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Refs calling this one real tight so far. Annoyingly so

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Poque posted:

Painter/Shrewberry showdown!

Rumors have Shrews in the running for the Georgetown job. I don't see it though, even with their tradition there's no way they can match PSU if State wants to keep him.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1634680365498396673?s=46&t=l3BNUY1tDwZOYN9ilB4yAg

I absolutely do not believe Jans would leave Miss State for this job but if he does watch the two Mississippi schools bid each other into making Chris Beard the highest paid coach in CBB

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

PotatoJudge posted:

Rumors have Shrews in the running for the Georgetown job. I don't see it though, even with their tradition there's no way they can match PSU if State wants to keep him.

Kraft's first big act as AD should be giving Shrews a fat extension ASAP.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fun first half. Kansas looking like kind of a two-man band at the moment.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Marquette is not loving around

edit: Grambling came storming back in the second half, game on in the SWAC

ugh i think i jinxed them :smith:

elentar fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 12, 2023

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
I'm not certain I've ever seen worse basketball passing than in this SWAC title game

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

PotatoJudge posted:

At this point I'd rather coach Penn State than Georgetown

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Great second half. Total team effort. Good to be Big 12 "champs".

I was saying before the game it seemed like not a lot to play for, but goddamn did we look incredibly well-coached today. Rodney Terry should really be in the driver's seat for this job.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Wait, so Texas Southern won the SWAC at 14-20? Man that sucks for grambling.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Extremely cruel to give the only bid those small conferences will get to a tournament winner. The regular season winners should get the autobids.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Extremely cruel to give the only bid those small conferences will get to a tournament winner. The regular season winners should get the autobids.

Nope, the way we do it is the right way

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

Grambling's never been to the D1 tournament and this was their best team probably in absolute terms and definitely in relative ones since winning an NAIA championship awhile back, or maybe since they got invited to their 1 NIT tournament in the early 80s. feel bad for them

they don't even get to go to the NIT because Alcorn State won the conference tiebreaker

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ungratek posted:

Nope, the way we do it is the right way

Single-elimination tournaments to determine championships don't make a ton of sense in basketball. With two competent teams in any given game, the better team wins like ... 75% of the time? The March Madness tournament is a big lie everyone goes along with because it's exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
YOUR 2023 MWC CHAMPION SAN DIEGO STATE AZTECS