Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Huh. Interesting.

I haven't heard anything from the seller yet. It's literally a tiny tablet I use in bed and it's not a big deal as long as it doesn't lock up or something like that.

Guess I'll just try again periodically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
This is more of an enterprise windows software question, does anyone here have any recommendations for software that can copy large amounts of data and validate the data? We currently use Beyond Compare and I'm exploring other options.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Medullah posted:

This is more of an enterprise windows software question, does anyone here have any recommendations for software that can copy large amounts of data and validate the data? We currently use Beyond Compare and I'm exploring other options.
Robocopy?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/robocopy

slidebite posted:

Huh. Interesting.

I haven't heard anything from the seller yet. It's literally a tiny tablet I use in bed and it's not a big deal as long as it doesn't lock up or something like that.

Guess I'll just try again periodically?
Wow someone else has an Aldocube tablet :v: I have the Cube Mix with the M3. It's been updating since Win11 fine though.

I wouldn't expect much from their support. Worst case you could probably get a cheap key or :filez:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sorry I should have added we tried Robocopy but it doesn't have a true audit report, which is a requirement for our projects.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Medullah posted:

Sorry I should have added we tried Robocopy but it doesn't have a true audit report, which is a requirement for our projects.

Robocopy running in verbose mode and piping output to a log file?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Medullah posted:

Syncback

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I still use Google Chat for conversations with a few people, notably my wife during the day when we're both working. I prefer to use the "standalone" app (that's just a Chrome window, but whatever). Since it switched from Hangouts to Chat, there's one thing that bugs me, which is that notifications put a badge on the taskbar icon, but don't do the orange flashy-thing, which makes them super easy to miss. I've tried googling about this, but all I can find is ways to enable or disable that behavior for Windows as a whole.

Is there somewhere in Windows this setting can be changed per-app? Or is it likely a matter of the GChat app not handling notifications the same way as, say, Slack does?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This is what is use and I like it. Feel like it had the verification options from what I found.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Medullah posted:

Not exactly Windows native option, but rsync is available. A neat option is to run it with options 'rsync --cc md5 --out-format="%C %n" source target', this in practice outputs a MD5 checksum for the files you can use later to verify them.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I've been tasked with making a looping photo slideshow for a funeral & wake next week. I want a tool that will let me import photos and video clips, add a standard crossfade transition between each piece of media, and then render out to a MP4.

Does anyone know of a good, simple, non-poo poo, non-predatory tool for Windows that will make this a simple process? Something free, if possible.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

neurotech posted:

I've been tasked with making a looping photo slideshow for a funeral & wake next week. I want a tool that will let me import photos and video clips, add a standard crossfade transition between each piece of media, and then render out to a MP4.

Does anyone know of a good, simple, non-poo poo, non-predatory tool for Windows that will make this a simple process? Something free, if possible.

Which Windows version are you on? Windows 11 comes with ClipChamp which should be able to handle something like that easily. Only annoying thing is it requires you to login with your Microsoft account IIRC but very usable otherwise.

edit: you can probably just install it on Win 10 as well from the Store if needed

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

I'm on Windows 11. I actually just tried ClipChamp but I could not for the life of me work out how to add multiple images at once to the timeline.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I think PowerPoint can export to MP4, but would need to check.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

OpenShot is probably what I'd try, but I can't say I've actually used it before.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DaVinci Resolve is major overkill, but good. I struggle with visual design programs but I have managed to master it for my own uses. Requires some beef though in your specs.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

This is not really a question about Windows software per se, but I do not believe there is a thread specifically for online services. This seems the most closely related thread – apologies if there is a better suited one; happy to post there.

I was recently asked to look for a solution to set up an email list/discussion group.

We are co-launching an initiative that has interested people from around the world signing up to it. We need a decent way of emailing these people and also allow them to email each other (Yes, I am aware of the potential for reply-all drama. I did not set this requirement.). As there will likely be a few hundred people on the list, I would like to avoid a lot of manual administration in adding/removing people from the list. Ideally, people would be able to sign up for and leave the list themselves, although it is a hard requirement to have admin approval to join the list. Also, EU, so GDPR stuff applies.

None of the tools that we have at our disposal seem to fit the bill well enough.

• MailChimp works well in keeping an organised mailing list that allows people to sign up/leave. However, I believe it has no 'admin approval' step to join the list, and as far as I am aware, it is one-way communication only, with no possibility for the recipients to contact the list.
  • Exchange would fit the bill in terms of setting up a distribution list that also allows people to email the list. However, this would require, as far as I know, a lot of manual adding/removing contacts and adding/removing them from the list, which no one is going to be very happy about.

A solution I had a look at is ListServ, which I think can do pretty much all of the above, except that from what I know, it is fairly pricy to run – especially for a single initiative that is not really part of our core activities. We are a small-ish non-profit and can certainly spend some money on a good solution, but the cost must be reasonable and justifiable.

Other solutions that I can think of tend to go in the direction of community platforms, but that often means people having to go somewhere, create accounts, when this is really something that we just need to be able to drop in their inboxes.

Are there any other good solutions that I am unaware of or did not think of?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Mailman is the defacto mailing list opensource software, but the big issue these days is that antispam measures basically destroy classic mailing lists that forward messages (ie preserve the sender address)

You have to enable the header rewriting (so the list is always the sender) in mailman.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

neurotech posted:

I'm on Windows 11. I actually just tried ClipChamp but I could not for the life of me work out how to add multiple images at once to the timeline.

download da Vinci resolve. it's free and 300 megs.

import all the clips.

drag all the clips into the timeline. You can then select them all and press the cross-fade shortcut. It will add a cross-fade between everything.

Then you just export it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know why something as powerful as Resolve is free but I sure do appreciate it. The restrictions they put on it are going to be a non-issue for the average joe.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Resolve is awesome. The features you pay for are worth it for the people who need them, so they can make the main functions free. That's the kind of freemium I like to support. Better than watermarks and arbitrary limits.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

da Vinci Resolve is great, but if you're like me prepare to spend hours on YouTube learning how to do basic things. Hopefully you're smarter than me.

Also almost all of the newbie documentation is YouTube rather than written text, which may explain why I struggle so much (I'm very much a visual learner).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would Google Groups work here?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

da Vinci Resolve is great, but if you're like me prepare to spend hours on YouTube learning how to do basic things. Hopefully you're smarter than me.

Also almost all of the newbie documentation is YouTube rather than written text, which may explain why I struggle so much (I'm very much a visual learner).

See I really struggle with like, Photoshop or even GIMP, but Resolve I grasped fairly quickly and have made some stuff I'm sorta proud of.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
My sound system has gone through a change now that my 15 yr/old speakers and media keyboard have crapped out, and I have a question specifically for Windows 11 people: is there a free, small-footprint program that I can use to change master system volume Up and volume Down, with the caveat that it allows re-bindable keyboard hotkeys to control them?

I know how to change volume manually on the speakers or using the mouse w/Win11’s slider…but I no longer can comfortably reach/have a remote for the physical speakers, and I would reeeeally like to just hotkey Up/Down because my family downstairs gets blasted by random volume shifts for commercials or playlist level sound differences that I can no longer instantly mute or lower loud sounds w/o media keys on my newer compact keyboard.

I am capable of using Google, obviously, but tbh goons generally make the best testers/recommendations for computer stuff like this. Lost kb/m/speakers/printer/old SD card reader to a lightening strike that knocked out every single USB-connected device without doing any damage whatsoever to my network/desktop hardware/NAS/monitors or affecting the USB slot’s connectivity at all! My keyboard was literally an ergonomic PS/2 Packard Bell media keyboard from Sears in 1997, and still worked to control volume/mute with Win11…miss it 🫤

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

My sound system has gone through a change now that my 15 yr/old speakers and media keyboard have crapped out, and I have a question specifically for Windows 11 people: is there a free, small-footprint program that I can use to change master system volume Up and volume Down, with the caveat that it allows re-bindable keyboard hotkeys to control them?

I know how to change volume manually on the speakers or using the mouse w/Win11’s slider…but I no longer can comfortably reach/have a remote for the physical speakers, and I would reeeeally like to just hotkey Up/Down because my family downstairs gets blasted by random volume shifts for commercials or playlist level sound differences that I can no longer instantly mute or lower loud sounds w/o media keys on my newer compact keyboard.

I am capable of using Google, obviously, but tbh goons generally make the best testers/recommendations for computer stuff like this. Lost kb/m/speakers/printer/old SD card reader to a lightening strike that knocked out every single USB-connected device without doing any damage whatsoever to my network/desktop hardware/NAS/monitors or affecting the USB slot’s connectivity at all! My keyboard was literally an ergonomic PS/2 Packard Bell media keyboard from Sears in 1997, and still worked to control volume/mute with Win11…miss it 🫤

I'm not at my computer but maybe give Eartrumpet a try. I use it for easy swapping between sources and I believe it's got a few hotkey options.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Does anyone have experience running Windows 11 on hardware that isn't officially supported?

I have two older Lenovo Thinkcentre towers I'm trying to sell and I've had multiple potential buyers back out because they want Windows 11. The specs are as follows:

i5-7400
2x8gb DDR4 memory
500gb budget m.2
Intel wifi modules
Win10 Pro

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Thanks for those suggestions everyone.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Medullah posted:

I'm not at my computer but maybe give Eartrumpet a try. I use it for easy swapping between sources and I believe it's got a few hotkey options.

Id forgotten about EarTrumpet; I used it in the past. Not at my computer either, but I think it does have hotkey-binding. Thanks for reminding me!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just cloned my boot nvme to a new, bigger nvme drive. Windows 11. For some reason the indexing subsystem failed and had to be rebuilt. Is there anything else that might be hanging around in a weird state after such an operation?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

DerekSmartymans posted:

This is a bit of overkill, but AutoHotKey can do it.

I have some scripts like

code:
$Media_Play_Pause::
IfWinExist, ahk_class iTunes
SoundSet, 100
ControlSend, ahk_parent, {SPACE}  ; play/pause toggle
Return
and

code:
$Volume_Up::
SoundGet, volume
Send {Volume_Up}
SoundSet, volume + 10
Return

$Volume_Down::
SoundGet, volume
Send {Volume_Down}
SoundSet, volume - 10
Return

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

Does anyone have experience running Windows 11 on hardware that isn't officially supported?

I have two older Lenovo Thinkcentre towers I'm trying to sell and I've had multiple potential buyers back out because they want Windows 11. The specs are as follows:

i5-7400
2x8gb DDR4 memory
500gb budget m.2
Intel wifi modules
Win10 Pro

I think you need 8th gen processors to be compatible. But I'm running it fine on my old 4th gen Surface Pro 3, although it has a message in the corner saying something about requirements not met.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Is there any video software that lets me skip opening/closing credits as separate software or preferably as a plugin or something for MPC/VLC?
I've been searching for awhile and the best i've come up with is an extension for Youtube that also skips Sponsors and the like.
Which works great but I'd love to just sit down and watch a series I have and not have to watch all the credits every 20 minutes.

Here is the Sponsorblock for Chrome I mentioned for those that may want it.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sponsorblock-for-youtube/mnjggcdmjocbbbhaepdhchncahnbgone?hl=en-US
Sadly this is Youtube only and doesnt seem to work on any streaming services I have used.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

~Coxy posted:

This is a bit of overkill, but AutoHotKey can do it.

I have some scripts like

code:
$Media_Play_Pause::
IfWinExist, ahk_class iTunes
SoundSet, 100
ControlSend, ahk_parent, {SPACE}  ; play/pause toggle
Return
and

code:
$Volume_Up::
SoundGet, volume
Send {Volume_Up}
SoundSet, volume + 10
Return

$Volume_Down::
SoundGet, volume
Send {Volume_Down}
SoundSet, volume - 10
Return

EarTrumpet didn’t end up having hotkeys, but you are able to “hover” the mouse over its icon and mouse-scroll the volume up and down. It works well enough for:

I c/p’d your scripts because I actually have a couple of AutoHotkey tutorial videos open on my desktop as I’m typing! Thanks for the help!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

EarTrumpet didn’t end up having hotkeys, but you are able to “hover” the mouse over its icon and mouse-scroll the volume up and down. It works well enough for:

I c/p’d your scripts because I actually have a couple of AutoHotkey tutorial videos open on my desktop as I’m typing! Thanks for the help!

If you don't want to mess with AHK, I use a program called reWASD, it allows for really simple remapping of buttons and keys. The free version doesn't have macros but you can remap whatever you want.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I recently got given an old Dell laptop from work which I'm refurbing to be my home laptop. I installed a new NVME SSD on it yesterday and installed Windows this morning. I was expecting it to hassle me at some point about licensing as I haven't yet bought a new key for Windows 10 but it's all installed and linked digitally to my personal Microsoft account.

I haven't bought a Windows key for the last two PCs I've built (my desktop used an ancient Windows 7 key upgrade from the previous build) and my old laptop (Lenovo x250) used a random digital key that 'just worked' when I got it, very much like this machine.

What is happening here? I tried looking through all the Microsoft account details online but it's not very clear how I now have another legit licensed Windows computer...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Dell firmware will have contained the Windows license

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

The Dell firmware will have contained the Windows license

Is that something I need to be worried about? I don’t think my company will care given yet just gave it to me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Is that something I need to be worried about? I don’t think my company will care given yet just gave it to me.

Microsoft doesn’t care. If your company removed it from their asset/computer tracking system if they have one (and it sounds like they would have), then you’re fine. Recycling business machines for home use is extremely common. You don’t have anything to worry about.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, I'm donating a load of machines through a local food bank and they all get legit keys through Dell firmware. It's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Awesome, thanks everyone. Could all be for nothing though as it's randomly rebooting, hopefully I can fix that.