Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The hound mode is neat but since I primarily play a vet it feels about as dangerous as a wet fart. Every pack of hounds comes from the same place and follows the exact same path to get to you, so once you hear the howl just get to somewhere that you have good visibility in, wait until you see a hound, pop Volley Fire and start shooting. They come rapidly enough that you will not lose Volley Fire until all packs are dead and there's enough time in between hound packs to reload pretty much any gun. Also they all run in a single file line, just line your gun up on their path and your shots will kill every single hound without having to aim.

I'd much rather see the hounds swarm you from multiple directions or at a staggered pace, but make their pounce only temporary as opposed to permanent like the regular hound.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
They’re fine till it happens with a patrol. Then stuff can get dicey as the chaff blocks your shots/swings

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wow Melk has this in his shop

On my Psyker :negative:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Been liking the Vrak's Headhunter Mk3 since it's buffs, good damage, doesn't recoil to the ceiling by the end of the burst, crucian roulete and deadly accurate melt anything I point it at, even crushers if I hit the head well enough.

How's the Agripinaa braced autogun and various charged Helbore lasguns? been wanting to find the best gun for clearing a room full of spread out shooters.

I swear by the hellbore MKII. The only problem is the horrible sights which make no loving sense at all--they improved it a little but they have no business making loving early 19th century sights on a loving modern weapon. Enjoy your shallow groves that are absolutely obscured for a slow firing, basically DMR of a las gun?? I haven't tried the MK1 and MK3 since they patched em but the MK3 was a goddamn nightmare with even worse sights and a really stupid bayonet strike.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wow Melk has this in his shop

On my Psyker :negative:

Buy it and go Gun Psyker. Pinning Fire and the Autopistol is so ridiculously powerful you'll do as well as if not better than if you had a staff.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

You'll also get another 24% damage if you go 6 warp charges, nothing to scoff at, I'm a weirdo who doesn't really like the psyker staffs (though I think voidstrike is decent) so I'd instant buy that autopistol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntMOYevmWDs

This might be the most ratshit insane thing I've seen for Vermintide.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Thirsty Dog posted:

Looking on Reddit, it seems people are able to play Darktide at 40fps fairly solid on the Steam Deck with the right settings. That seems mad, but I'm willing to give it a go for a laugh. Does anyone use a gamepad for DT? How is it?

It's not great with normal gamepad, but given the Deck has a trackpad and various other gimmicks it might work better there. Still idk how anything beyond Malice should work.

deep dish peat moss posted:

The hound mode is neat but since I primarily play a vet it feels about as dangerous as a wet fart. Every pack of hounds comes from the same place and follows the exact same path to get to you, so once you hear the howl just get to somewhere that you have good visibility in, wait until you see a hound, pop Volley Fire and start shooting. They come rapidly enough that you will not lose Volley Fire until all packs are dead and there's enough time in between hound packs to reload pretty much any gun. Also they all run in a single file line, just line your gun up on their path and your shots will kill every single hound without having to aim.

I'd much rather see the hounds swarm you from multiple directions or at a staggered pace, but make their pounce only temporary as opposed to permanent like the regular hound.

They can come from different directions, but the spawner prefers the closest one for 100% of dogs so it becomes like what it is. Appears easy to tweak so I guess there will be improvements at some point

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd of picked up that pistol if my psyker wasn't also short 100 melk bucks, I'll just see about crafting one in the future, perhaps when there is a gunker class.

On another note, here is the Agripinaa I made myself just now.

Much shorter range and less accurate then the vrak headhunter, but you can just hold down W and play like it's a rail-shooter and killing everything that pops up next to you.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 12, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think its in a great spot. If you get it in the middle of a horde its actually scary - but outside of that its only really trouble if your team doesn't know what to do. Its a condition that actually forces your team to play differently (everyone group up in a choke so you can murderize the dogs) and its fun! They die pretty quick, you get lots of your "kills off elite" fill ups from it, and they look cool.

I like it alot!

https://i.imgur.com/OEXQeIV.mp4

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 12, 2023

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

.Z. posted:

Buy it and go Gun Psyker. Pinning Fire and the Autopistol is so ridiculously powerful you'll do as well as if not better than if you had a staff.

A friend of mine started doing exactly that as a gimmick and now is enjoying it a lot.

You get 24% bonus from stacks, plus you can take lacerations to further increase that bonus. Most things die faster than it takes to set that up, sure, but it absolutely melts bosses.

EDIT: He also got cursed out of a Damnation mission for not using a staff which I just think is lol. Like yeah common wisdom is guns on a psyker are suboptimal but the #1 thing a good player can do in this game is not die, if you can manage that you'll kill poo poo eventually. Really anybody commenting on your build in this game can go gently caress right off if you didn't ask for advice. I've seen meme build vets and zealots go down faster than anybody else, I really don't care what people bring along to their missions.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 12, 2023

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

Looking on Reddit, it seems people are able to play Darktide at 40fps fairly solid on the Steam Deck with the right settings. That seems mad, but I'm willing to give it a go for a laugh. Does anyone use a gamepad for DT? How is it?

It works fine on steam deck and presumably a regular controller. The only issue is the launcher requires the touchscreen or the touchpad set to mouse emulation. If you turn everything to low then it keeps 30-40 fps during missions although damnation would probably be worse given how many enemies spawn. I'm not good enough at controller to try damnation though or even heresy unless it's a melee focused class.

The fps has gotten better, on release it'd go down to 20 fps in hordes which really sucked. I've also heard people complain about the unchangable lower sensitivity during ads but it doesn't bother me so ymmv.

Edit: actually I've been getting some crashes lately when I've never had them in the previous 3 months. Fatshark :shrug:

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 12, 2023

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Is there any way to get a clean look at the enemy models in this game, the Traitor captains especially?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Cleaner than the Psykanium?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Hadn't thought of that, although it doesn't look like the captain is present in the meat grinder.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Did you check the Spawn Enemy mod? that might include the captain like it does for bosses.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I had a bit of a thought today while playing Vet on why the Power Sword sometimes seems to stay on longer than the supposed 2 swing limit without Power Cycler- maybe the amount of powered swings you get is affected by Power buffs? It would track since a lot of people use Slaughterer on Power Sword (got a t4 one in the bank now and on my current sword :toot: ), and it would explain the inexplicable times you can just keep swinging without having to charge up as often.

Vagabong posted:

Hadn't thought of that, although it doesn't look like the captain is present in the meat grinder.

barring the monstrosities (which includes the traitor captains) you can see every enemy model in the game. But yeah, no big bosses unfortunately.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

I had a bit of a thought today while playing Vet on why the Power Sword sometimes seems to stay on longer than the supposed 2 swing limit without Power Cycler- maybe the amount of powered swings you get is affected by Power buffs? It would track since a lot of people use Slaughterer on Power Sword (got a t4 one in the bank now and on my current sword :toot: ), and it would explain the inexplicable times you can just keep swinging without having to charge up as often.

barring the monstrosities (which includes the traitor captains) you can see every enemy model in the game. But yeah, no big bosses unfortunately.

Mooooooodddddssssssssss

One of us, one of us!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Legit Businessman posted:

Mooooooodddddssssssssss

One of us, one of us!

??? I'm not sure how this is relevant lol.

Also no.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

??? I'm not sure how this is relevant lol.

Also no.

But you can practice fighting bosses in the pskyanium with mods! There are a bunch of neat QOL things that are very nice to have.

I come from payday 2 where a goon modder made a QOL mod so good he was hired by starbreeze and they just rolled all his stuff in to the actual game.

In short, mods will not steal your credit card. Or your account.

Probably.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

There's a mod to make Sire Melk nice to you. Also I haven't tried it yet but the perk reroller mod updated to let you choose which perk and silences Hadron.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Tagichatn posted:

There's a mod to make Sire Melk nice to you. Also I haven't tried it yet but the perk reroller mod updated to let you choose which perk and silences Hadron.

the fact that people made both of those is very funny, but especially the first one

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think

Tagichatn posted:

That reroll mod was already great and now it's the best after the hub hotkey mod.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
for some reason melk is cool with my vet and ogryn but hates my preacher. understandable, really, the zealot is a douche regardless of voice

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

toasterwarrior posted:

for some reason melk is cool with my vet and ogryn but hates my preacher. understandable, really, the zealot is a douche regardless of voice

It's tied to the personality. He hates my Fanatic Zealot and Loose Cannon Vet, but loves my Loner Psyker.

Before they changed her to always like you Hallowette liked my Zealot and Vet but disliked my Preacher. I'm not sure if it's the same situation as Melk where it's tied to the personality or if it's tied to buying a cosmetic of that class from her because I got Vet and Zealot cosmetics from her but not Psyker.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Legit Businessman posted:

But you can practice fighting bosses in the pskyanium with mods! There are a bunch of neat QOL things that are very nice to have.

I come from payday 2 where a goon modder made a QOL mod so good he was hired by starbreeze and they just rolled all his stuff in to the actual game.

In short, mods will not steal your credit card. Or your account.

Probably.

Cool mods, not gonna use'em.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Evil Kit posted:

Cool mods, not gonna use'em.

To elaborate, I don't need practice vs any of the bosses at this point so that's basically useless for me, and much like the scoreboard mod my interest in it is mostly for knowledge reasons and I can't be arsed to install mods for that alone

I like being able to run around the hub! I like hearing Hadron explain enthusiastically as I desperately roll for a particular perk! I'm a weirdo! Hard to believe I know.

Also I'm familiar with Wilco and the co-op goons discord the payday mod originated from and it's really cool he was able to make that jump! But I also didn't use mods (or play nearly as much) Payday 2 lol so at least I'm consistent.

Edit: for some game related content have the Thunder Hammer I was able to make after getting Headtaker 4 from Melk:

edit: revisited this on my PC so I could properly link the image

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 13, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Vagabong posted:

Is there any way to get a clean look at the enemy models in this game, the Traitor captains especially?

Mods

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 13, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

Also thanks for mentioning that update, now it's closer to how the game should have functioned instead of making you sit there rerolling 2000 times for the right tier 4 perk at no cost while listening to the same 5 hadron lines on repeat.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also thanks for mentioning that update, now it's closer to how the game should have functioned instead of making you sit there rerolling 2000 times for the right tier 4 perk at no cost while listening to the same 5 hadron lines on repeat.

It doesn't actually let you choose the perk, it just rerolls until you hit the one you select. Previously it just rolled until hitting any tier 4 and you had to keep restarting it until you got the one you want.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I feel like every time I QP into a Damnation match, it's high-intensity. Are people running these on purpose? What's the deal?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

It doesn't actually let you choose the perk, it just rerolls until you hit the one you select. Previously it just rolled until hitting any tier 4 and you had to keep restarting it until you got the one you want.

Yeah, I used it before, but being able to just set it to a specific perk to stop instead of any T4 is a huge time saver, which was still a massive timesaver from the default way of having to click 2 times for every single reroll and just giving up on a T3 perk because you ain't got time for that poo poo.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Maybe only a couple damnation options and people want the bonus rewards? Idk it kinda makes sense that people who have played since launch have reached that level and are killing time until an update gives us some more torment levels

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
if it ain't diff 5 i generally prioritize hi intensity, because it's fun to kill bad dudes

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Mendrian posted:

I feel like every time I QP into a Damnation match, it's high-intensity. Are people running these on purpose? What's the deal?

Its fun OP

big cummers ONLY posted:

Maybe only a couple damnation options and people want the bonus rewards? Idk it kinda makes sense that people who have played since launch have reached that level and are killing time until an update gives us some more torment levels

I had a PUG group where we made high intensity feel like low intensity it was such a cake walk, everyone was very skilled.

Damnation just isnt "that hard" - I won multiple matches with no sound playing on my laptop while traveling for business last week, while face timing! I don't win every match because sometimes even good players all make a mistake at the same time but if you have a decent team and stagger whatever mistakes you are gonna make then its winnable.

At this point I'd say anything below damnation should be a 100% win rate

also check it hot new mod released!!

https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kdarktide/mods/73

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've been spamming damnation since returning, usually goes pretty smooth but sometimes a failure cascade happens while the finish line is just within sight, like a dog and 2 mutants jump in around a blind corner while under cover of a horde filled with bulwarks and crushers and ragers right after half your team lost shields to a fire special and the team just doesn't have the raw damage to chew through all of that in time.

Plus there are probably a lot of people out there that are in full min/maxed loadouts of weapons they like and can handle most of what the game can throw at them pretty handily.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Omnissiah's blessings - very pleased with both these

for mods make sure you're updating the mods too, even the DMF

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 13, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I mentioned this way earlier in the thread too but I've been finding more and more types of geometry that allow you to bug out the enemies and become (almost) invincible. Here's the easiest one to find pretty much anywhere:

Crates doodads are stacked one row high, or two rows high. Scattered all over the place are these that are a 2-high crates doodad next to a 1-high crates doodad. Here's another example:

The two-high crates doodad is too high to climb onto, but whenever you find this combination you can just climb up on the lower half, then onto the higher half.

With some of them to have to position yourself pretty precisely in the middle- but these will cause melee enemies to bug out and just stand there starting at you:

What's more is as far as I can tell, if ranged enemies do not have clear melee pathing to you (which they don't when you stand here), they will sometimes ignore you entirely (especially with the vet talent that makes them largely ignore you while you stand still), but otherwise they will prioritize your teammates over you, so if you remain attentive about picking off ranged enemies you can leisurely sit here and play a shooting gallery, and you only get shot by enemies who can't see your teammates. Things like dogs and mutants will almost always target teammates, but in the rare cases where they do target you they generally cannot reach you, and they bug out and stand still when they reach the object you're on.

e: Another common place to use this trick is with computer consoles. Enemies cannot climb onto computer consoles, and they can only stumble over them if there's empty space on the other side. So anywhere that has a computer console next to a window or a railing, if you jump onto the computer console and then walk onto the railing/window sill, there's a good chance enemies can't hit you there.

Pretty much anywhere that cannot be organically climbed onto from ground level is immune to melee enemies.

This trick is good at getting bad teams killed because they're not expecting the extra attention from enemies so be careful :tipshat:

e: Also ragers have further reach than other enemies so this trick doesn't always work on them if your spot isn't far enough out of reach, I think the same is true of maulers but I've never had one get close enough to try.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 13, 2023

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Anyone else getting poo poo performance tonight or was my internet just flipping out? I was doing poo poo like dodging to have an entire swarm pop around me and being body blocked to the point i couldn't dodge anymore. I got repeatedly hit from behind with nothing behind me, basically phantom hits. I think there was just too many enemies as we were doing heresy and the prior 2 heresy runs weren't that bad. The runs before were fine then all of the sudden it felt like the servers were dieing for me and my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat i just got a super quality vraks mk7 headhunter autogun and if it werent for the lack of sight customization i think this would replace my kantrael. i think i'll give it a fair shot tho, it's got two perfect synergy blessings (increased crit chance per headshot + crit weakspot damage) plus vs unyielding and maniac, both of which are very good to have

also they really have been working on performance behind the hood. i actually toggled on RTX and on my 3070 where it was previously sub 30fps in most areas, it was around 45 now. i was still running into heavy frames in some particularly lighting heavy areas (namely the final run before the sewer assassination mission with all the metal catwalks) but it's good improvements, especially since outside of RTX i no longer get bad frames unless it's a hi intensity horde and there's fire everywhere or whatever