Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NonzeroCircle posted:

Completely out of context with current conversation, the games are cheapo on Steam right now and I haven't played Stick Of Truth in a few years since I gave my brother my 360.

It's so good. Fractured probably had better combat but both of these games are definitely "it's cold outside, comfort games"

Both games are so good and I wish we could get a third one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Both games are so good and I wish we could get a third one.

Well... you're in luck... (Pretty sure it's probably not until 2024 though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqIYj6QIp4w&t=18s

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They should make another FPS.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Considering their own journey into AI with their Deep Fakes company. Tonight's ChatGPT episode should be a pretty interesting look. Curious if ChatGPT worked with them on the episode similar to Blizzard with the WOW episode.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, either they have been using AI scripts for the past 10 years or the AI bot is just as good as they are now:

quote:

please write a topical south park episode that is actually funny

Sure, here's a potential storyline for a South Park episode:

Title: "Vaccination Vacation"

Synopsis: The episode starts with the citizens of South Park excitedly planning their summer vacations, but when they realize that many travel destinations require proof of vaccination, chaos ensues.

At first, the adults in the town are thrilled at the prospect of getting vaccinated, but when the kids learn that they can't get vaccinated yet, they start to feel left out. Cartman, always one to take advantage of a situation, starts a black market for fake vaccination cards and convinces the other kids to join in.

Meanwhile, Randy Marsh becomes obsessed with getting the most "exotic" vaccine possible and drags his family on a dangerous trip to a remote jungle in search of a rare vaccine. Along the way, they encounter a tribe of anti-vaxxers who refuse to get vaccinated, and chaos ensues.

As the town becomes more and more divided over the vaccine issue, a new strain of COVID-19 emerges, causing even more panic. Eventually, the kids' fake vaccination cards are exposed, leading to a hilarious courtroom scene where they try to defend their actions.

In the end, the town comes together to get vaccinated and everyone is able to enjoy their summer vacations, but not before a few more hilarious mishaps and misunderstandings.

Of course, the writers of South Park are masters of satire and social commentary, so they would be able to inject the episode with their trademark wit and humor while still addressing important issues surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic and vaccination efforts.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

and chaos ensues

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like this episode already

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well... you're in luck... (Pretty sure it's probably not until 2024 though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqIYj6QIp4w&t=18s

It'll probably come out even later than that, but nevertheless I remain excited that another game I'd n development!

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

👍

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

dRuGs äre baeD, okAy?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
That loving shaman with the hawk

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

ChesterJT posted:

That loving shaman with the hawk

i absolutely love when they do poo poo like this. can't really put my finger on the last time they did or a specific example, but just using an over the top solution for a problem that backfires anyway or whatever. his outfit and pet spider in a cage hanging from his waist. if matt and trey ever did a real fantasy game that had nothing to do with south park, i feel like they would crush it.

the montage of stan mindlessly replying to wendy's texts while she was getting more and more enamored with his increasing communication was both funny and sad. felt like the first time in a while they added a layer of characterization to wendy, only to make it that much more lovely that she actually doesn't have the real support she needs.

also loving dying at the fact that stan is such a himbo that he just 👍's every one of wendy's texts.

also also. i obviously know about chatgpt but had no idea it was as easy as logging in to some website and firing off text prompts within like 60 seconds. i asked it to write me a cover letter and it's basically a slightly more refined version of every boilerplate bullshit one i've ever hacked together after googling a few examples and changing some prompts anyway.

good episode - but i wanted more of that shaman guy. i wanted them to kinda dig on "naturalistic" wahoos who claim to be more in touch with "real reality" but are just as disingenuous as chatgpt anyway. idk if the episode will still be funny on multiple rewatches but it was a fun experience.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I gotta be honest, if that bit at the end really was written by chatgpt then I don't think any Hollywood writers have to be scared about losing their jobs (not yet at least).

Best part of the episode was the shaman, was that a reference to something or did Matt and Trey just decide "gently caress it let's throw in a shaman"? Either way good call.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mate suggested he was a sort of anti-tech ludite; I thought it could have been a joke about how hard it is to distinguish AI writing from human writing (the gag being that it's actually not that hard at all).

It was pretty funny though, no loving idea why. It was just so dumb and committed to the bit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The AI having a couple of characters just spit out old catchphrases was great

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I spent most of the episode trying to figure out if the whole thing could possibly have been AI-generated, but it seemed pretty unlikely for the most part, and then using some actual AI stuff at the end brought it home. Like I kinda wanted to see them try that, but it probably either wouldn't have been good enough, or their actual execution of the script would've added a human touch that kind of negates the idea anyway. It was slightly cheating to have the characters speak the AI dialog in an obviously stilted manner, but you kind of needed that to highlight the contrast. More importantly, it was all pretty funny.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I loved how the ep highlights some of the absurdity of teachers freaking out over their students secretly using ChatGPT to cheat when you have kids who previously couldn't write for poo poo suddenly penning perfect essays on 1840s Labor Unions and Their Effects on the Industrial Revolution.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

That was outstanding.

AndyElusive posted:

I loved how the ep highlights some of the absurdity of teachers freaking out over their students secretly using ChatGPT to cheat when you have kids who previously couldn't write for poo poo suddenly penning perfect essays on 1840s Labor Unions and Their Effects on the Industrial Revolution.

The adults are idiots and the kids are the only smart ones.

Old school South Park translated to 2023.

Sir Lemming posted:

I spent most of the episode trying to figure out if the whole thing could possibly have been AI-generated, but it seemed pretty unlikely for the most part, and then using some actual AI stuff at the end brought it home. Like I kinda wanted to see them try that, but it probably either wouldn't have been good enough, or their actual execution of the script would've added a human touch that kind of negates the idea anyway. It was slightly cheating to have the characters speak the AI dialog in an obviously stilted manner, but you kind of needed that to highlight the contrast. More importantly, it was all pretty funny.

I would rather see an AI generated half hour of complete insanity then another 20 minutes of Tegridy Farms or Cartman/Heidi

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 10, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

I would rather see an AI generated half hour of complete insanity then another 20 minutes of Tegridy Farms or Cartman/Heidi

it was refreshing to not have an episode revolving around randy's stupidity/incompetence or cartman's malice. i love SP and will continue to watch it until either the show or myself expire, but i'm really sick of episode arcs where it's just cartman being an uninteresting dickhead.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."
Did anyone else notice the voices sounded particularly strained in this one? Especially Mr. Garrison and Cartman. I know Matt and Trey are getting older and that vocal cords tend to change as you age (just listen how Mike Judge does Beavis now, or Patrick Stewart talking in ST:Picard for example) but it definitely stood out to me. At least they didn't resort to AI voice modulation for the episode (though it would've definitely been on-topic for the plot).

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Did ChatGPT really randomly insert Cartman saying "Shut up you dirty Jew!" ? :coal:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Crazy Dastard posted:

Did anyone else notice the voices sounded particularly strained in this one? Especially Mr. Garrison and Cartman. I know Matt and Trey are getting older and that vocal cords tend to change as you age (just listen how Mike Judge does Beavis now, or Patrick Stewart talking in ST:Picard for example) but it definitely stood out to me. At least they didn't resort to AI voice modulation for the episode (though it would've definitely been on-topic for the plot).

Beavis sounds the same as he always has to me. One of the things I was shocked about watching new B&B was how he didn’t lose those voices one bit.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Beavis sounds the same as he always has to me. One of the things I was shocked about watching new B&B was how he didn’t lose those voices one bit.

They're a little bit more articulate now, but it's also necessary because their banter and commentary is wittier than it was in the old days.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bula Vinaka posted:

Did ChatGPT really randomly insert Cartman saying "Shut up you dirty Jew!" ? :coal:

It only took a few tries to get a couple of Jew jokes from ChatGPT.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It only took a few tries to get a couple of Jew jokes from ChatGPT.

in the episode cartman isn't directing his jew joke at kyle, which makes it even funnier

i would imagine trey used a good amount of chatgpt prompt as influence for the end of the episode but slotted in a few modifications to either tighten it up or make it funnier or whatever

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I liked the first act. I though the third act was trash. Second act was average.

So a good episode in comparison to the usual.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

in the episode cartman isn't directing his jew joke at kyle, which makes it even funnier

i would imagine trey used a good amount of chatgpt prompt as influence for the end of the episode but slotted in a few modifications to either tighten it up or make it funnier or whatever

Yeah, I don't believe that AI is at a place yet where it wouldn't at least need to be massaged in order to produce that speech about open AI.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crazy Dastard posted:

Yeah, in this one it sounded like Garrison and Cartman are smoking two packs a day. It's not Marge Simpson levels of vocal devastation yet but it's definitely a noticeable strain from probably some of the more difficult voices.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I seem to remember at least one other episode where Matt or Trey clearly had a cold. I guess with 6 days, assuming they still do that, they don't really have a choice.

Aside from that, this was probably one of the best episodes in a while.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Don't Jew gotta sense of humor

:roflolmao: :laffo:

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

SeANMcBAY posted:

He can't hit the high pitches he used to when Beavis screams. If you remember "Cult of Cornholio" from the 2013 revival, when Butthead puts that screw through his hands, Beavis' scream sounds really disjointed and breathy, like it's outside Judge's vocal range these days.

Haven't noticed too much else with their voices in the new series though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CBJSprague24 posted:

That was outstanding.

Yeah, best episode of recent years IMO.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Last season's "Help! My Teenager Hates Me!" was also really good.

Though they may not like to admit it (or do they?), their best episodes are typically the somewhat more grounded ones.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Last season's "Help! My Teenager Hates Me!" was also really good.

I really enjoyed this one also, especially as someone who was really into airsoft in my teens.

Ive been wanting to go back and catch up on this show since I haven't paid attention to it in like a decade. Is there a good place to pick it back up, are there any lull or particular standout seasons?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mister Speaker posted:

I really enjoyed this one also, especially as someone who was really into airsoft in my teens.

Ive been wanting to go back and catch up on this show since I haven't paid attention to it in like a decade. Is there a good place to pick it back up, are there any lull or particular standout seasons?

For the most part I the last decade has produced okay seasons of South Park with plenty of good episodes mixed in. The only miss was season 20, but it's reasonably okay to binge watch. Obviously has the big problem of them trying to build a whole season around Hillary winning the election, so the season derails pretty bad...

Season 22 has the kind of comical school shooting theme where nobody cares and acts like it's just a normal part of going to school.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mister Speaker posted:

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, go watch last year's "Credigree Weed St. Patrick's Day Special" which I remember being amazing.

Actually I'm now realizing that was literally the episode right after the one you just mentioned, so you've probably already seen it. But if you haven't, please do.

Looking back over episode lists, Season 22 had some pretty good ones, or at least I remember them being good. "Let's Get Cereal / Nobody Got Cereal?" is the infamous ManBearPig apology 2-parter. Not long after that is "Unfulfilled", their Jeff Bezos takedown.

In season 21 I remember liking "Put It Down" (Tweek freaks out over Trump tweeting at Kim Jong Un) and "Sons a Witches" (Halloween episode)

Season 18 as a whole was a pretty good one where they experimented with slight serialization, with the Randy as Lorde running gag and some other callbacks. It backfired horribly in season 20 where they pushed it too far and current events didn't pan out the way they hoped, but it worked great here.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 15, 2023

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Season 20 wasn't bad just because of Hilary not winning. The episodes really dragged out and had too much padding. They kept repeating the same jokes over and over again. It was like watching the same episode 10 times over.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's been some good stuff over the last half decade. The Tweek/Craig episodes, Cartman's mother slowly becoming more resentful and pushing back only to end up living in a hotdog, Tolkien, Cartman's girlfriend produced a few good episodes. The vegetarianism episode stuck with me too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mister Speaker posted:

It's never not been interesting. But if you were to rank the seasons, pretty much all of the last 7 or so are the bottom 7 seasons. If you were to rank all the episodes, pretty much all of those episodes are in the bottom 25% of all episodes.

In other words, you aren't missing much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The North Korea episode is definitely in the top ten percent of South Park episodes. :colbert: