Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My next dilemma is how long should I wait before dropping $900 on the OEM color-matched 50L top case

FBS fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
2 hours counts as thoughtful deliberation for a smart decision

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

FBS posted:

My next dilemma is how long should I wait before dropping $900 on the OEM color-matched 50L top case

that one looks pretty nice. I'm trying to source the oem 45L top case for my interceptor right now. I think i've found a couple places that might have it but its hard to work out all the parts I need to order.

I was successful at getting my oem side cases last year (literally last set in stock in race red) from japan so I'm optimistic

so I guess my advice is dont wait until its discontinued :D

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 3, 2023

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Maybe this is a trick question and there’s a bigger one available?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

Its been long enough

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Now is a good time. Huge top boxes are always handy, even if they’re only stickered for light loads.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

wrong thread

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 3, 2023

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Well Partzilla says they have both the rack and the case available to ship, at a decent discount off list price so I placed an order. Thanks for enabling me the encouragement!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

engaged the dadbike boxes for a three night camping trip (legal for the first time in ages lol):

KTM’s OEM boxes rule though. all QD using the seat key and no racks so I just take them off and pitch them in the tent for (illegal) trail riding :D

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That is a cool dadbike

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The irony... Ive always wanted just enough underseat storage for a flat tire kit, and I finally get it on the bike with factory hard bags

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo, I did the air filter on the goldwing tonight. It may as well be an engine-out procedure.

There are, and I’m not even a little bit joking, 50 steps or more. I had to get a piece of cardboard to stick bolts through to keep all the hardware straight. You have to disconnect huge chunks of a very complex wiring harness and remove a gigantic piece of the bodywork too

It’s “KTM oil change” levels of added complexity.

The old filter was pretty crusty so I’m glad I did it, but I’m not doing it again for a long while if I can help it

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo, I did the air filter on the goldwing tonight. It may as well be an engine-out procedure.

There are, and I’m not even a little bit joking, 50 steps or more. I had to get a piece of cardboard to stick bolts through to keep all the hardware straight. You have to disconnect huge chunks of a very complex wiring harness and remove a gigantic piece of the bodywork too

The old filter was pretty crusty so I’m glad I did it, but I’m not doing it again for a long while if I can help it

I had a similar experience with a tail tidy on a newer CBR300, the whole tail had to come apart like a 3d jigsaw puzzle. On the GL1100 the air filter is just under the tank "hatch", lift up the handy little plastic storage tray and the filter comes off with a 10mm nut.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s how my gl1200 was too, super easy, 5 minute filter change, tops.

To be fair, this is a Honda, and a relatively modern one at that, so everything that had to come apart did so in a way that makes sense and was easy to reassemble, it’s just that there are SO MANY steps.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

there is a reason I flat out refuse to do it on the valk, I will take it to the dealer and make them loving do it and fix any fuckup that happens. mine is much easier then yours, but still requires me to remove the drat fueltank.

gently caress that poo poo

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just lowballed someone item unseen who agreed to sell me a triplet of givi monokey top/side cases as well as some associated bracketry for a trivial sum. It's so cheap since all cases are locked and there's no key according to the seller. If the deal goes through, if I can replace the lock cylinders without too much destruction and if I can make the side cases fit my bike I'm going for maximum dad on the SV650.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Invalido posted:

I just lowballed someone item unseen who agreed to sell me a triplet of givi monokey top/side cases as well as some associated bracketry for a trivial sum. It's so cheap since all cases are locked and there's no key according to the seller. If the deal goes through, if I can replace the lock cylinders without too much destruction and if I can make the side cases fit my bike I'm going for maximum dad on the SV650.

shouldnt be hard at all honestly, getting it open might be the hardest (lol) part then just get a replacement cylinder of choose your poison

almost none of this poo poo is actually worth anything, its just theater to make someone less likely to attempt to try and break in.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

UCS Hellmaker posted:

shouldnt be hard at all honestly, getting it open might be the hardest (lol) part then just get a replacement cylinder of choose your poison

almost none of this poo poo is actually worth anything, its just theater to make someone less likely to attempt to try and break in.

Yeah I'm not too worried. There's youtubes of people opening these very locks using both lockpicks and drilling them out. I have access to both types of tools, though I really suck at lockpicking. I'll still try that first because why not. The brackets for the side cases won't fit my bike without modifications but I have various welders and other metal tools I enjoy using so I'll probably be able to figure something out. Otherwise I might have to splurge for model appropriate bracketry.

And yeah, the vast majority of locks are only there to keep honest people honest. They work for what they're intended to do but nothing else. The only lock on my bike worth a drat is the aftermarket disc brake lock I store under the seat.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

updated ETA on the top case: June 15 :negative:

Looks like it's special order from Japan.

I think I'll go for a cheap Shad setup for now and sell it when the OEM kit arrives.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

updated ETA on the top case: June 15 :negative:

Looks like it's special order from Japan.

I think I'll go for a cheap Shad setup for now and sell it when the OEM kit arrives.

alternate option - get the lid to your cheap Shad/Givi/whatever top case painted to match, skip the wait time + factory accessories catalog premium. the biggest downside is needing an extra key

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Can you order it through Webike? They have a lot of stuff in stock and ship to the US in under a week.
It's been my go to supplier for OEM Monkey parts and stuff like windshields, cases, handlebars, etc

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'll see how I like the Shad stuff when it arrives and I use it for a few weeks, I could always just cancel the Partzilla order. I really like how the OEM setup looks but it's undeniably expensive.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Can you order it through Webike? They have a lot of stuff in stock and ship to the US in under a week.
It's been my go to supplier for OEM Monkey parts and stuff like windshields, cases, handlebars, etc

I do see that part available on Webike but it's twice as expensive and still shows a 3-4 week lead time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/08L74-MJM-D10

looking at pictures of this discontinued honda OEM luggage bracket and then to the price and then back to the picture and then back to the price

mewse
May 2, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/08L74-MJM-D10

looking at pictures of this discontinued honda OEM luggage bracket and then to the price and then back to the picture and then back to the price

Some of this poo poo was like born to be 3d printed

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

have been unable to source one. strapped down duffel bag it is then lol

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Project dadbike is go!

I got this haul for €120. Now to try my hand at lockpicking before the drill and die grinder comes out. I have the tools to pick a double sided wafer lock, but zero skills. New cylinders should be less than €50 for a set of three, after that I can use the top case at least, just need to swap out the adapter plate on my rack since I have a monolock now and these are monokey. The side cases will take some additional doing, possibly some bracket shopping too.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I managed to drill out all three cylinders with a minimum of drama and only a broken cheap HSS drill bit. I destroyed nothing that isn't included in the SL103 replacement cylinder kit, at least judging from the product photos - one of the plastic rotating latches that do the actual locking got more than a little damaged so I hope those are really in the package I ordered.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
as I think about it this is the best thread to ask. What is a good kind of tire for dadbikes? I need to head to my parents and see but more then likely my tires are the OEM (so likely nearly 8 years old) and will need replaced. So im wondering what generally is considered a good tire and how to choose a decent set that wont be either super slick or dangerous. Usually I would just have the local shop order a set but since I don't want the cheapest POS and the load rating actually matters on a 700 pound bike I want to get a general idea. More then likely I am overthinking but better safe then sorry.

general look is Michelin road 6 or scorcher 11 seem like I can get sizes that fit and look decent, anyone run them or have other suggestions?

https://www.denniskirk.com/michelin/road-6-tire.pfp546541.prdf?fs=546546&rs=546552
https://www.denniskirk.com/michelin/scorcher-11-tire.pfp544802.prdf?fs=544801&rs=544805

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Angel gt comes in an extra chonk rear

If you hate fun but love value, which is likely if you're a dad, metzeler marathon ultra

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Opposite, I'm a moron that rides a bike you can't even buy OEM tires for (fronts basically aren't made in the valk size) and comfort and fun are important.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What size is it??

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Front Tire (Full Spec) 130/60 R19
Rear Tire (Full Spec) 180/55 R17

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

19 front, yuck

Just get pilot roads

Don't get cruiser tyres like the scorcher

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
thanks man

yeah honda put some funky wheels on it, its not as bad as some (looking at you m109) but yeah the rim sizes defintely limit me. Seems like a common concensus is to use 120/70 r19 tires on the front since you cant find the stock size at all. I will def take a look at the pilot roads. Main thing is want to ask people since I don't want to get some hot junk that is worse in the rain and also really not good for the way this bike is.

Nor loving darkside the loving thing because I do not want to be dangerous and an idiot like that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pr6's are honestly probably the best tire available in your situation, they are also the best wet tyre out there period

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I dropped my bike off for a service at an indie shop, asked them to install the keyed pannier locks and they charged me 150 / lock :|

shoulda just followed the youtube instructions

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol so it charitably 'took' them 1.5 hours a lock

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Did they provide a written estimate before they started work? That's required in CA for auto repair, which includes motorcycles. If you're not in CA check the laws in your state; I know WA is the same though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

bizwank posted:

Did they provide a written estimate before they started work? That's required in CA for auto repair, which includes motorcycles. If you're not in CA check the laws in your state; I know WA is the same though.

No. I feel so dumb the dealer back in Glendale was willing to do it pro bono but I had to move up here on super short notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Well, legally they have to so you have some room to negotiate price here, and if they don't want to play ball you can file a complaint with the state. Everything you need to know is here: https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/auto-rep-guide.pdf