Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
For my part, I just (final encounter) had an explicit A- and B-team and sent in the A-team first to do their thing, while the B-team had Temenos to break shields and a couple merchants to spam the Foreign Assassin Hired Help, which took it down the second phase pretty fast.

I managed to beat it on my first try because my A-team had a whole lot of brute force, and either the second phase is markedly easier by design to account for players who have done uneven leveling, or I just got lucky and ate up a big chunk of its second phase HP when Throné and Agnea were clowning on it at the end of the first phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Did a couple of the final character chapters so far, and drat does the difficulty ramp up. Some good challenge though!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I have completed all chapters except the final ones for each character. I decided to clear out some of the side quests, the one in Storm with the woman whose boyfriend ghosted her was stupid. Stealing the necklace led to a way better ending than bringing her stupid boyfriend back. I did the latter but loaded a previous save because you turn him into a stalker lol

Yeah, it's better to mug/steal from that one than the alternative in my mind.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
70 hours into this game and I've only just realised you can boost Castii's concoction to add more ingredients lol. And she's my main, she's been in my party this entire time lmao

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"NO MERCY; ONLY PAIN" *brews up an invigorating grape and pomegranate mist*

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

fridge corn posted:

70 hours into this game and I've only just realised you can boost Castii's concoction to add more ingredients lol. And she's my main, she's been in my party this entire time lmao

you think that's wild, it took me about just as long to realize that you can add the same ingredient multiple times

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Speaking of: does combining the magnifying herb with an elemental attack one do anything significant, like multiple hits of that element?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It just ups the damage, IIRC, but you can get multiple hits by just adding more elemental flowers.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Oh, there's elemental herbs? Whoops.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I was planning on trying out the demo to see if they did improve the aspects I was annoyed with the original and wanted to start with Partitio since he's the one I like the most on a first impression. Is it gonna be bad for me not to be able to switch him out since I plan on doing all chapters in a tier before going for the next?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They're in the Hazardous components section (which I didn't realize there was an option to mix those til like 20 hours into the game). There's only wind/dark/light ones though, to balance out the Scholar elements.

It's also vaguely annoying that there's attack boosting herbs but not magic attack boosting ones.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I was planning on trying out the demo to see if they did improve the aspects I was annoyed with the original and wanted to start with Partitio since he's the one I like the most on a first impression. Is it gonna be bad for me not to be able to switch him out since I plan on doing all chapters in a tier before going for the next?

That's perfectly fine, you'll want to use everyone eventually and there's a case to keep anyone in your party for a long period of time. Partitio passively boosts income and you always have access to JP boosting abilities, Throne/Agnea/Osvald/Castti/Temenos have path actions that are easier to use with higher levels, etc.

I've finished his story and I still always keep him in the party, he's got a ton of utility. Also he's the best character.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 12, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just beat Hikari’s story so I could unlock Ku and get the final job.

My team wiped against the actual final boss and I had to do all the fights again (luckily I saved before going through the door). This time, my characters were on their last legs and as a last ditch effort I hit the boss with an un-boosted learned attack and killed him. I definitely would have wiped again if I hadn’t killed him there. That boss was a real rear end in a top hat!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

What levels are ppl doing the final chapters at where it's still a challenge? I'm just finishing up the last to penultimate chapters and my main is 51 where everyone else is high 30s to low 40s

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fridge corn posted:

What levels are ppl doing the final chapters at where it's still a challenge? I'm just finishing up the last to penultimate chapters and my main is 51 where everyone else is high 30s to low 40s

I did Throné’s where she was like lv 60 and everyone else was like 47-48 and it was a joke.

Hikari’s all my characters were like 47-49 and it was really tough.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's the strat for that octopus shithead that inexplicably lives in the desert? After a while he straight up goes 9999 on everyone. No, I'm not going to use the Merchant's hire skill.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

fridge corn posted:

Decent gear will solve most of your issues, I did my first one when my protag was at around 45 and everyone was in their 30s.

If you're really worried about difficulty, just get Arcanist and stick it on Partitio.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I highly doubt the Conjurer job is worth the pass in the rear end it is to get. It's not a hard boss gauntlet, but it sure feels long.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cleric Agnea will also beef up your entire party with defensive buffs which goes a long way for being able to keep everyone in the game instead of burning 2 turns to Olive them back up (1 turn lost by the user, 1 turn lost by the revivee who doesn't get to act again until the next turn).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Decent gear will solve most of your issues, I did my first one when my protag was at around 45 and everyone was in their 30s.

If you're really worried about difficulty, just get Arcanist and stick it on Partitio.

Yeah I guess gear does solve a lot of problems. The boss for Osvald's lvl 36 quest gave me a bit of difficulty but I just did Temenos' lvl 37 quest and the massively improved gear in that new town made the boss an absolute joke.

I guess going around looking for the legendary weapons before doing the final quests would make them a bit easy huh?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've done half the final chapters so far and right now my levels for all characters are mid-40's, with my first one having my non-main be in the high 30's. I had good enough gear that I haven't been in danger of wiping, but a lot of the final chapter bosses have gimmicks that can really throw you off guard if you're not expecting it or don't have the right tools.

They're certainly no pushovers, though that'll probably change as my characters keep leveling up.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m basically just living the murderhobo lifestyle, I think I can count how many times I’ve shopped on one hand; everything else has been loot or hidden items

…I don’t even have a good reason for it, I already have the boat :negative:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Regalingualius posted:

I’m basically just living the murderhobo lifestyle, I think I can count how many times I’ve shopped on one hand; everything else has been loot or hidden items

…I don’t even have a good reason for it, I already have the boat :negative:

Use that money to fund the Merchant lifestyle and sending in goons to fight for you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You're giving those mercenaries work and pay to feed their families with, always use Hired Help, it's what Partitio would want.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also, speaking of Hired Help, (late game area) I found a group of ninjas outside of Merry Hills that agreed to be hirable after I beat their asses, are those the only unlockable hirees or are there others?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I highly doubt the Conjurer job is worth the pass in the rear end it is to get. It's not a hard boss gauntlet, but it sure feels long.

I’m gonna try it rn, wish me luck

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m gonna try it rn, wish me luck

I just did it, so some specific notes while I can still vaguely remember the fights:

Fight 1 is easy, no notes here.
Fight 2 is kind of annoying given the spawns and their ability to lock out weak points and the status effects. The first spawn is easy to kill, the second set seem a little sturdier. If Hikari has learned the 4-hit sword move it's great for breaking the spawns' shields.
Fight 3 is actually less difficult. He'll throw out stances that counter physicals but they'll go away when you break him so he's not very threatening. His counters can be dodged too if you're gonna Sidestep cheese.
Fight 4: he'll remove a party member from the fight until you break him, and cripple you with a max hp debuff. But otherwise he's not very difficult.
Fight 5: an actually challenging fight. She'll give herself stances that deal bonus fire or ice damage. These will actually go through sidestep even if the attacks themselves miss, so keep yourself healthy, and she also has a party-wide Wind magic move. She'll switch between two stances and cleanse debuffs when she does so, so keep that in mind with Leghold Trap. Later on in the fight she'll also put up immunity to debuffs (doesn't last forever, but long enough that it'll get annoying if you rely on Leghold or Armor Corrosive).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ytlaya posted:

Temenos being 30 is kind of surprising to me - one of the rare situations where the stated age of a character in an anime-adjacent media seems older than their appearance/voice. I would have guessed more like 25 or so.

I like him a lot though. Favorite of the 4 starting chapters I've done so far.

He's so silly and yet he's a loving Inquisitor. THE Inquisitor in fact. By day he's putting on a puppet show for the kids, by night he's beating people down to learn where the backdoor to his own house is*.

(Ok the Cathedral isn't really his home but you get the point).

My favorite is either him or Edmond Orvald Dantes.

Also: I (mid-ish game optional boss spoilers) Fought the shark because I didn't know how to get to Canalbrine and I hoped there was an anchorage on the north shore. I felt silly when I realized you get there from the vinyard

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 13, 2023

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I decided to give this a try after not really liking 1 and while I'm enjoying what I see doing all the Chapter 1's back to back is nearly killing me with how slow and tedious they are.

I wanted to gather the 8 and just kinda wing it but I feel like 80% of my playtime has just been watching cutscenes with very boring fights. Did it to myself but 6 down and my eyes are starting to glaze over in all the tutorial stuff. I want the context!!

E: I spun a wheel to determine who I picked as my lead and got Ochette. Trying to figure out who to use and my desires are always "I wish I could bench Ochette". Thieves are always overpowered in SE games, feel like I want someone to be a healer so I'm not eating a billion grapes so have Temenos and I want not Cyrus for inspections on fights/elemental attacks. I got Hikari before calling it for the night and 'hmmm nope! no idea who to put instead'

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 13, 2023

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Thief as a class in this game is actually not all that great. Throne as a character is cool but the thief abilites leave something to be desired IMO.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ochette is great and really strong, solid choice. The chapter 1’s can get boring but the game gets really good once you have everyone.

Edit: Thief is decent, HP Thief is really good and strong, steal isn’t great though. It’s also one of the only classes with access to a dark spell. Throné get a bonus dark spell that hits all enemies and causes them to miss their next physical attack, but it costs 25 SP and she has criminally low SP so you can’t use it very often.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 13, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ochette is great since she's basically a blue mage -- way better at it than Hikari. Her jerky also comes with loads of beneficial side effects.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Most SE games are "thief is just a quirky lil guy. Just a little dude' that somehow gets some kind of godspeed attack that hits 10 times doing max damage by the end if built right so I'm just used to that :v:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
people are holding up thief's divine skill as the most damage a single action can output with minimal support needed, because of its scaling

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Yup, I managed to clean the superboss up with Throne's divine and latent. If you're into gambling, BP Regeneration is hilarious with that setup.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Castti is powerful :hai:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Giving everyone you can the merchant passives Boost-Start and Full Power for +1 BP and full latent power gauge at start of battle speeds up levelling and cleaning random encounters a lot.

Hikari keeps Sougetsusen everything into oblivion

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mister Olympus posted:

people are holding up thief's divine skill as the most damage a single action can output with minimal support needed, because of its scaling

My dungeon crawling is just Partitio with Thief. Latent Power, Thief Divine. Either enemies are dead or it's just time for cleanup.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Miss Mowcher posted:

Giving everyone you can the merchant passives Boost-Start and Full Power for +1 BP and full latent power gauge at start of battle speeds up levelling and cleaning random encounters a lot.

Hikari keeps Sougetsusen everything into oblivion

This plus having an inventor with A Step Ahead to ensure Hikari goes first next turn with 3 BP has basically trivialized every single non-boss encounter for me at this point. Enemies can't even touch me unless I get surprise attacked.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who has beaten the squid? You know the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I have. You really gotta focus on breaking him as often and as quickly as possible to delay the countdown. Can't afford to try to bunker down just gotta lay into him hard and fast. Hikari did lots of work for me.