Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Excelzior posted:

randomly got the miniset survey today..the questions hint at blizz possibly going with more expansions with no minisets, or including stuff like cosmetics to incentivize miniset purchases (I'm assuming only for the Golden miniset..)

interesting.

One of the vicious syndicate podcast guys was saying the other week he'd prefer one more expansion per year and no minisets. I can see where he's coming from but realistically that would just mean one more season pass to buy whereas I can always afford the minisets with gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The game would undoubtedly be better with 4 sets per year but it would be 1) more work for the dev team and 2) much more expensive

There are better alternatives that they could do honestly like changing up the core set more often

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Minisets are generally a much better deal than packs in terms of gold so I would def be in favour of like, 2 big sets and 2-3 minisets for each one per year. As long as we get a roughly similar number of cards per year total

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 10, 2023

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Firebert posted:

It's bad but there are many cards like Millhouse and Temporus that can straight up lose the game for you

Add Cursed Blade to the list. I don't think it ever had any use other than being a whammy if you were given a random weapon.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Blasmeister posted:

Minisets are generally a much better deal than packs in terms of gold so I would def be in favour of like, 2 big sets and 2-3 minisets for each one per year. As long as we get a roughly similar number of cards per year total

Monkey paw curls and minisets are no longer sold for gold.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

mcbexx posted:

Monkey paw curls and minisets are no longer sold for gold.

That was a potential option in a couple of questions.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I would much rather they instead focus on making the minisets prop up unsupported decks and give them a chance to shine instead of whatever they're doing with them now.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I wonder if they have seen a drop in miniset buys. The last few have been rather underwhelming, I've immediately bought them all with gold but would probably double check next time that there are actually some decent meta cards in there. Also the path of arthas miniset may have meant people bought that and skipped return to naxxramas

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I ended up skipping Path of Arthas cause one of the 3 legendaries was in the rewards track and the other 2 were poo poo. Very easy solution to this particular problem for future sets

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Mini sets seem a complete boondoggle of an idea either they are worth it meaning gold gets used hyper efficiently or they aren’t meaning nobody gets em.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I mean, the core concept is to, as usual for ActiBlizz, to encourage transactions. They need regular goldsinks so the ‘average player’ (and if you play your Dailies, you’re not it) won’t have enough, so they’ll buy packs whilst still being able to offer the option.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I prefer the mini sets to the previous business model where some of the best cards would be locked behind paid content so if you were f2p it was actually impossible to get them

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The Wild meta, both Ranked and Casual, is crap right now. Just gross.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

The Wild meta, both Ranked and Casual, is crap right now. Just gross.

getting rid of quest mage and pillager rogue didn't fix everything?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I mean I'm glad not to see them anymore but there's still a lot of toxic poo poo out there

at least it's varied toxic poo poo now

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Excelzior posted:

I mean I'm glad not to see them anymore but there's still a lot of toxic poo poo out there

at least it's varied toxic poo poo now
Last time that I tried to play Wild (which was more than an expansion ago), my first five games were four Quest Hunters and one Pirate Warrior and I decided that I didn't really want to do that.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Starsfan posted:

getting rid of quest mage and pillager rogue didn't fix everything?
So about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfPmE4E_M7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN5MGvME2JE

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My latest wild experience was secret mages two thirds of the games so I quit.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Been sitting on a Challenge a Friend and Spectate a Friend daily for nearly a week before realizing none of my friends play this game anymore. Anybody up for some free gold? Neeber #1419 on Americas

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Haven't played in a while and my last seven standard games have been vs the exact same deck so I assume the game is in a bad place

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Meta seems pretty fun and awesome with the last patch nerfing Gnoll and Construct Quarter - been cycling through 4-5 viable decks and having decent luck with all (Undead Priest, Quest Druid, Spell DH, Frost Mage…). And everyone else is playing Death Knight.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Last expansion had all the hype drummed up with the release of the new class, which has basically been a disaster. The class is now in an alright place I guess, but I'd wager a lot of the returning players have already left again. I wonder what they'll try for next expansion to get the show back on the road, but to me it feels like they really hit a cul-de-sac with their inevitability in card design the last few sets.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Oenis posted:

Last expansion had all the hype drummed up with the release of the new class, which has basically been a disaster. The class is now in an alright place I guess, but I'd wager a lot of the returning players have already left again. I wonder what they'll try for next expansion to get the show back on the road, but to me it feels like they really hit a cul-de-sac with their inevitability in card design the last few sets.
My favorite part about the Death Knight release was Blizzard announcing to all the competitors at the World Championships 'No one can ban Death Knight in this tournament!' and not a single player bringing a Death Knight deck.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Cart posted:

Meta seems pretty fun and awesome with the last patch nerfing Gnoll and Construct Quarter - been cycling through 4-5 viable decks and having decent luck with all (Undead Priest, Quest Druid, Spell DH, Frost Mage…). And everyone else is playing Death Knight.

Yeah, it feels pretty solid to me too. Plenty of diversity of decks and styles, laddering is fun and not too rock-paper-scissors. My biggest gripe is Frost Mage, entirely because whatever I queue into it loses, and whenever I play it I lose. I just can't win with it, or against it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Death Knight has been one of my favorite additions to Hearthstone, I’ve enjoyed the class since day 1 of the expansion

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Death Knight has been one of my favorite additions to Hearthstone, I’ve enjoyed the class since day 1 of the expansion

Yeah, honestly I was super pessimistic about it after Demon Hunter was such a mess but it's been pretty sweet. My only gripe was that other classes couldn't accumulate corpses, which they fixed.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I don't even know if this counts as a real high roll but man it was stupid and fun.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I have 3 different good Death Knight decks, that's pretty crazy! They did something interesting with the rune system. DH is probably my least played class by far, never dug it, so having a new class that I really enjoy playing is pretty big, and probably what got me to start playing again after a long lapse.

edit: Hearthstone is probably just in a weird spot where it's naturally past it's peak of popularity. I don't think it's going away for a long time, but at this point pretty much everyone who's in the market for Hearthstone has checked out Hearthstone at this point, and they've either gotten into it or decided it's not for them. And I don't think the up-and-coming generation of gamers has the same nostalgia for the Warcraft brand or the sense of prestige around the Blizzard name that many of us did when we started playing. Barring another lightning-in-bottle success like Battlegrounds (and you can see their failed attempts to recapture that) I doubt it's bringing in a ton of new players. This is all gut instinct stuff though and I could be completely wrong.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 12, 2023

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
For me, Hearthstone always has its ups and downs. There's always going to be a sizable chunk of the player base (even in casual) who will value winning over anything else. If the most likely decks to win are decks I don't like playing against, it's going to be a down time. Aside from ramp druid early after Sunken City's release I tended to enjoy standard until MotLK came out. Since then it's been largely down.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Jeeze how did I just now realize (after losing a game because of it) the 3/3 shrubbery whelps counted as whelps for Onyxia? I mean, fair enough lol, but was it always like that? Guess it just never came up before.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yes it’s hell.

Every class in hearthstone is fun and cool except Druid. Druid has never been cool. I play Druid in classic cuz lol.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
oondasta druid was cool actually

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Hearthstone is in a good place if I'm winning a lot. It sucks when I'm losing!

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Neeber posted:

Been sitting on a Challenge a Friend and Spectate a Friend daily for nearly a week before realizing none of my friends play this game anymore. Anybody up for some free gold? Neeber #1419 on Americas

added you last night, i'm in a similar boat. lemme know if you still needed these done!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Strawberry Panda posted:

Hearthstone is in a good place if I'm winning a lot. It sucks when I'm losing!

Hearthstone is fun when I get to play a bunch of cards and do cool stuff

Hearthstone is unbalanced bullshit meant to antagonize me (and me alone, specifically) when my opponent gets to play a bunch of cards and do cool stuff

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The only time it's truly not fun for me is when the other player consistently takes forever with their turn. I check out at that point.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I honestly think the game is going to be in a much better spot after rotation.. just the hero cards, quests, and the other stormwind bullshit leaving will be a huge breath of fresh air.

I mean yeah stupid burn frost DK is still gonna be a thing, but the most obnoxious forms of obscene mana cheat are leaving, and hopefully the arch enabler Brann as well.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I prefer when every game is different so stale metas with only 1 or 2 viable decks are really boring for me

I also hate when you’re waiting multiple turns for someone to assemble their game-winning combo and you have literally no way to stop them doing it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think the meta right now is a ton of fun. Aggro/Tempo is strong but none of the individual decks are dominant like Frost DK was, so there’s lots of room for different classes to compete and for off-meta decks to have room to breathe.

I just took this Big Demon Fel DH to legend and had a blast:

### Felscale DH
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Dreadprison Glaive
# 2x (1) Fury (Rank 1)
# 2x (1) Sigil of Alacrity
# 2x (1) Tuskpiercer
# 2x (1) Unleash Fel
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 2x (2) Battleworn Vanguard
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Chaos Strike
# 2x (2) Fel Barrage
# 2x (2) Fossil Fanatic
# 2x (2) Multi-Strike
# 2x (2) Spectral Sight
# 1x (3) Lady S'theno
# 2x (3) Predation
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 2x (3) Treasure Guard
# 1x (4) Felerin, the Forgotten
# 2x (4) Raging Felscreamer
# 2x (6) Felscale Evoker
# 1x (6) Kurtrus, Demon-Render
# 1x (7) Xhilag of the Abyss
# 2x (8) Illidari Inquisitor
# 1x (8) Jace Darkweaver
#
AAECAaWrBAiN9wOHiwSXoAT7vwT+vwSX7wSkkgXipAUQ/e0DwvEDifcDivcDgIUEhI0Etp8EyZ8E1J8EtKAEjrAEh7cEmLoEwMoEi5IFkKUFAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Felscale Evoker is bananas when it goes off and being able to discount it to 4 mana with Felscreamer let’s you get your scam on

Most memorable opening was T1 sigil, T2 discounted weapon + fel barrage, T3 coin Felscreamer, T4 Felscale pulls inquisitor and I hit them in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I have been hovering around Gold 2 and Gold 1 and whipping back and forth and then when I was Gold 1 with three stars I disconnected, but then I came back and I was Platinum
For the first time ever :toot: :toot: