Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

pubs are like lost children at the store. they're hugging the tank because they think it's mommy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MechaX posted:

Here I am, grinding Astronomy tomes, thinking it's weird af that the relic max level is more easily obtainable than waiting for the 630 weapon upgrade to unlock with the raid tokens, because I am quite sure that past expansions made getting a Relic that fast vary from very, very hard to flat out impossible

But I need this SMN book

I mean to be fair there's about two to three months left until there's a new savage tier.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man the StB monsters who drop mats do not do so easily, huh. Somehow their drop rates seem way lower than earlier monsters.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I thought that's what bicolor gemstones were for, to bypass having to kill a thousand mobs to reliably get a handful of mats.

edit: or retainers, why aren't you just using your retainers, nonFate mobs exist to be flavor, not for actual use, their exp gain is laughable and their drop rates are poo poo.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

I thought that's what bicolor gemstones were for, to bypass having to kill a thousand mobs to reliably get a handful of mats.

They don’t exist for StB mobs though. Just ShB and EW.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kwyndig posted:

edit: or retainers, why aren't you just using your retainers, nonFate mobs exist to be flavor, not for actual use, their exp gain is laughable and their drop rates are poo poo.

They have one other use: the daily Hunts, which aren't useless themselves. They give respectable EXP, EW's in particular, while you're waiting for your queues to pop or if you can't or don't want to queue. They're also good for getting Aetheryte tickets, except for the ShB/EW set since they don't have those for sale, yet.

Onean fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 12, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kwyndig posted:

Because my retainer is currently wearing my artifact 70s because I don't want to buy a set of Scaevan for him. Granted, that's a problem that solves itself after a few dungeons, but I want to do the Crystalline Mean now.

(This post brought to you by hunting Green Drakes for an hour, only getting 6 skins (I needed either 24 or 48), and buying the rest off the MB)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Man the StB monsters who drop mats do not do so easily, huh. Somehow their drop rates seem way lower than earlier monsters.

the material supplier in Rhalgr's Reach sells all the Stormblood crafted mats, including the ones that require monster drops. though generally you'll find those same crafted mats on the market board for a fraction of a price, so that's still your most convenient option

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

What's the current go-to Primal discord for BA/DR runs? My wife needs to get DR done to unlock Zadnor and I'd like to finally clear getting demi ozma off my ffxiv bucket list.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

They're all pretty interchangeable now that you can cross-DC travel, but I like that PEBE has channels that cross-post events from other servers, and links out to them.
https://discord.gg/PEBE

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

a cartoon duck posted:

the material supplier in Rhalgr's Reach sells all the Stormblood crafted mats, including the ones that require monster drops. though generally you'll find those same crafted mats on the market board for a fraction of a price, so that's still your most convenient option

Still worth knowing about the material vendors because sometimes the market board just doesn't have things in the right quantity. No sense buying 90 of a thing if you only need 3, even if the three are per-item more expensive (unless you wanna try and resell the rest, I guess).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kyrosiris posted:

Still worth knowing about the material vendors because sometimes the market board just doesn't have things in the right quantity. No sense buying 90 of a thing if you only need 3, even if the three are per-item more expensive (unless you wanna try and resell the rest, I guess).

Buying 99 of a material, using five, and putting the rest back up in 10-20 unit batches at the price I originally bought at is how I give back to the world.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I do wish they’d rip off WoW’s modern auction system. You just specify how many of a thing you want, and it automatically buys everything starting from the cheapest.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dareon posted:

Buying 99 of a material, using five, and putting the rest back up in 10-20 unit batches at the price I originally bought at is how I give back to the world.

Every time I do this the price absolutely craters so I either never sell it or make hardly anything back.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Theris posted:

Every time I do this the price absolutely craters so I either never sell it or make hardly anything back.

The best way to make a price drop on the MB is to list that thing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Especially if it's been months since the item was last listed and has never sold for less than what you're offering.

Lazer Viking
Jul 11, 2008

GBO
Back in WoW wotlk I ran the entire end game gem market on my server from Ulduar to the end. Made hella gold. Ive never been ab;le to do that in FF. Theres too many people willing to list 10 99x stacks of a mat for vendor price

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I'm too risk averse to try any kind of market baron shenanigans and I just don't log in enough to keep an eye on it as much as I'd need to. I should try and make some cash back, though. I had 50 mil when I moved to Dynamis, blew most of it on a house and haven't really managed to recoup any of it.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

You can sometimes make decent money scouting around other worlds in your data center for good deals and reselling them back home, but don't bother trying to be a market baron. Eating up all of an item and trying to rule the market isn't feasible, since people can just go to other worlds on your data center, so you'd have to bounce around your entire data center constantly to try to buy out undercutters.

You'll make a lot more money (per time played) just running map dungeons and selling whatever you loot.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Heck, just selling the maps whenever I find one is enough to keep me in teleport money.

e: Although people keep mentioning that Mateus has weirdly high prices for maps

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm accomplishing more in XIV lately. My Summoner is 78, I got the mounts from the first two savage Omega raids in an unsynced group (and unlocked the Ultimates, natch), and I joined an Anima light farming group and took care of the Anima Lux step I completely forgot about after that. It was nice to just kinda... get some stuff done that had been staring me in the face for a while. Once SMN hits 80 I'm gonna look into finding a group for Delubrum Reginae, and then see what's up with Zadnor after that - hopefully it's not a ghost town.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Onean posted:

They have one other use: the daily Hunts, which aren't useless themselves. They give respectable EXP, EW's in particular, while you're waiting for your queues to pop or if you can't or don't want to queue. They're also good for getting Aetheryte tickets, except for the ShB/EW set since they don't have those for sale, yet.

I had no idea you could buy tickets with Centurio seals, thanks for the heads up!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Once you've bought all of the cosmetics and speed boosts, there's really nothing else to spend them on unless you're into older armor.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

HackensackBackpack posted:

The best way to make a price drop on the MB is to list that thing.

Lol, for real.
I don't even try to craft stuff for market sales, because I know as soon as I do, the Glowy Weapon that has been going for 2 million gil will suddenly be 2000 gil before I even get home from work the next day.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

the_steve posted:

Lol, for real.
I don't even try to craft stuff for market sales, because I know as soon as I do, the Glowy Weapon that has been going for 2 million gil will suddenly be 2000 gil before I even get home from work the next day.

Speaking of glowing weapons, WHAT IF the crafted Weapons of Light from Seat of Sacrifice made your entire character look like one of the summons from the Heroes' Gauntlet?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

You can sometimes make decent money scouting around other worlds in your data center for good deals and reselling them back home, but don't bother trying to be a market baron. Eating up all of an item and trying to rule the market isn't feasible, since people can just go to other worlds on your data center, so you'd have to bounce around your entire data center constantly to try to buy out undercutters.

You'll make a lot more money (per time played) just running map dungeons and selling whatever you loot.

I spent 20mil buying up all of the ex83 crafting ingredient when it was new but close to a patch, i was able to boost the price from around 100k to close to 1m for a couple days, but i didn't think ahead to have enough gil to keep buying out the undercutters so it settled at around 300k-ish. Demand was too low at the time to keep the price much higher since they didn't announce crafted weapons, there was just the barding

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Dareon posted:

Heck, just selling the maps whenever I find one is enough to keep me in teleport money.

e: Although people keep mentioning that Mateus has weirdly high prices for maps

do people actually worry about running out of money to teleport?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Onean posted:

It seems like the experience curve as you level shifts a bit, like under level 70 your daily roulettes and just dungeon runs are always going to be your best bet, and beast tribes and hunts give marginal xp for the amount of time you put in. However, once you hit 70 the dungeon xp isn't quite as high and, notably, the beast tribe and daily hunt xp picks up quite a bit. Having done a bunch of hunt stuff to level, the fully daily hunt rewards are about the same xp as doing all of the daily (combat class) beast tribe quests. So like the pixies give about a million xp per day, which is quite a bit at that level, and the hunts give another million, so pretty good. The arksadora give around 3 million per day with the hunts giving similar, which is actually phenomenal for a filthy casual like myself. The hunts are also a nice consistent way to get your chocobro some xp.

I haven't quite got around to unlocking the new deep dungeon, but I'm hoping it provides a decent chunk of xp as well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Hunts are actually tied to a percentage of your level, except ARR because those don't give EXP (the Hunting Logs are in place for levels 1-50 instead). I don't have HW's amounts since I didn't have a Job those levels to check, though I have an alt I play sporadically that I intend to check with when I get there. The other expansions, however, I do know.

StB and ShB (and HW for level 60) are the same. Being X0 will give you 17% of a level if you use that cap's expansion's Hunts (HW for 60, StB for 70, etc.), while using the next expansion's Hunts will give 33% of a level. It then slowly scales down as you level up, losing a percentage or two every level until it drops massively between X9 and Y0.

EW bumped the EXP by quite a bit in the lower levels. Doing them at 80 will give 50% of a level. There's a much harsher decrease, though, going down to 45% by 82 where the others go from 33% to 30% between X0 and X2. It still rewards more towards the end (34% at level 87, for example), though.

(Writing this post reminded me of the Newbie thread, which I completely forgot to check out the new one when the old closed. I'll have to remember to give it a read when I get the chance...)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zokari posted:

It happened to me once. But I had just spent literally all my money on a new glam or a minion, I don't remember which. I converted some ventures into Allagan coins and actually focused on making money for a while by doing maps and I was fine.

Now with Doman restoration as long as I remember to keep some coins around I never run out of money.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Kwyndig posted:

It happened to me once. But I had just spent literally all my money on a new glam or a minion, I don't remember which. I converted some ventures into Allagan coins and actually focused on making money for a while by doing maps and I was fine.

Now with Doman restoration as long as I remember to keep some coins around I never run out of money.

how does Doman restoration make you money? I find myself pretty broke a lot of the time so I like the idea of Infinite Money, since I'm not really much of an auction house baron. I successfully tanked the price of a hairstyle from HoH by like 100k once :suicide:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's 20k a week (40k for turning in stuff with 20k vendor price) for minimal effort, unless you teleport to the moon and back every day that lasts a while.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Full static clear of my UCOB group. Will be nice to get Saturday/Sunday 2 to 5 ST back. And never stepping into UCOB ever again lmao.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zokari posted:

Worry? No, it's just a line item in my balance sheet. I like to have my gil balance generally trending upward, which has not been a problem at all on my main. My alt, however, only has 6000 gil to his name, so I need to remember to actually hoof it most of the time.

Zeruel posted:

how does Doman restoration make you money? I find myself pretty broke a lot of the time so I like the idea of Infinite Money, since I'm not really much of an auction house baron. I successfully tanked the price of a hairstyle from HoH by like 100k once :suicide:

Doma is just "Sell some stuff, get a better price for it than from a vendor." Like you could actually buy allagan coins off the marketboard and make a profit selling to Doma. I once boggled at multiple people selling stacks of coins at sale price, meaning no one made a profit, and was informed Doma was the reason.

They tend to get whatever I've accumulated over the week. Clear demimateria, coins, fish, rocks, all my hopes and dreams, my old report cards...

It's only at max 20k a week (And I'm not there yet), but it's still a boost comparatively.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it's not a geyser of infinite money but it does turn retainer trash into teleport money quite easily.

Edit: I know why they don't but I really wish you could stack Allagan coins in higher quantity stacks but they don't want people to be able to store and transfer ridiculous amounts of money easily. It's also why they closed the coffee biscuit loop, to control the economy.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 13, 2023

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Most of my enclave sales have been the 500 gil allagan coins which you can turn in for 1000 gil. I get mine from the 18h retainer ventures.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
The ones that confuse me aren’t the ones posted at 10% of the going price, but the ones going for like half ”sell to vendor” price.

I mean, they had to interact with their retainers to get to that point so just get them to vendor it for you?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Itzena posted:

The ones that confuse me aren’t the ones posted at 10% of the going price, but the ones going for like half ”sell to vendor” price.

I mean, they had to interact with their retainers to get to that point so just get them to vendor it for you?

So many items vendor for like 2gil, it's easy to just not think about or look at the vendor price field when you're setting an undercutting marketboard price and then get caught out when you marketboard one of the smallish number things that vendor for something decent.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The alliance seals -> aetherite ticket pipeline means never having to pay for teleports again (or you can set a cost threshold of a few hundred gil max if you don't want to burn through tickets too fast).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Thundarr posted:

The alliance seals -> aetherite ticket pipeline means never having to pay for teleports again (or you can set a cost threshold of a few hundred gil max if you don't want to burn through tickets too fast).

I have mine set to ask at anything above 600, but whenever it's around 600 I go ahead and pay it so I should probably set it to automatic use at 700.

...If I can remember where the option is. I think it's the gear menu in Teleport.