Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
What the gently caress is a woke bank? Was SVB offering zero interest loans for abortions ugh gently caress these chuds they’re ruining my “death to capitalism” Sunday vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

roffles posted:

What the gently caress is a woke bank? Was SVB offering zero interest loans for abortions ugh gently caress these chuds they’re ruining my “death to capitalism” Sunday vibes
Doing absolutely no research, it definitely means they had a vendor come in to do some activities on not being racist or sexist or had some messaging against discrimination. It's like blaming the bank going under on having a Casual Friday or no longer stocking M&Ms in the snack room. It is meaningless bullshit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

roffles posted:

It's a bad thing that happened placed next to a keyword with associated conditioning, hth

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

haveblue posted:

It's a bad thing that happened placed next to a keyword with associated conditioning, hth

Sorry it just boggles my mind that this actually works for BANKING. Or maybe it’s offensive to me that they think people are that stupid even if they are.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Doing absolutely no research, it definitely means they had a vendor come in to do some activities on not being racist or sexist or had some messaging against discrimination. It's like blaming the bank going under on having a Casual Friday or no longer stocking M&Ms in the snack room. It is meaningless bullshit.

Correct. If anything, I’d be curious if this is to get performative liberals to jump on the bandwagon to support SVB by doing the opposite thing the republicans are saying.

Not the first time it worked: see the whole Disney fiasco.

vvvvvv Woke is the new “pc culture”. Anyone who says it is loudly exclaiming they have nothing of value to add.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 12, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

roffles posted:

Pretty sure at this point, 'Woke' has degenerated to "Any thing/place/person that does not actively call for the murder of minorities or LGBTQ+ people."

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

roffles posted:

it's a bank located in california with a public DEI policy

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

roffles posted:

It's a bank of pronouns

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Correct. If anything, I’d be curious if this is to get performative liberals to jump on the bandwagon to support SVB by doing the opposite thing the republicans are saying.

vvvvvv Woke is the new “pc culture”. Anyone who says it is loudly exclaiming they have nothing of value to add.
See, I think we shouldn't engage with any meaningful thought to the idea of the bank went woke so it went broke . Because look, it's fine to get a vendor in to explain why it's polite to ask someone their pronouns if you don't know or not ask to touch their Black co-worker's hair. It's fine to say you stand by women and their right to choose. It's just the part where capitalism and the actual stuff the company does is probably bad. They're just separate things. Capitalism is bad, but this new weird Capitalism where companies have to pass purity tests for how fascist they are is also bad.

And I don't think Leftists should sweat paying it too much mind at all because once we get into discussing performative Liberals we're no longer discussing the issues with Capitalism. We need to just treat it as the stupid nonsequitur that it is.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Woke is the new word for liberal and that's about it.

Just word replace when you see it and it makes way more sense.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

roffles posted:

They did Pride Day events and other inclusive stuff for LGBTQ+ employees.

In general, the far right culture-war types have a lot of hate for the tech startup ecosystem. Even though Silicon Valley is full of libertarians with right-wing economic sensibilities, it's still urban California, and so it pays lip-service to liberal social policies like "not openly hating gay people". On top of that, the MAGAs have made a huge deal about being Censored by Big Tech because their social media posts don't get as many likes as they expect, which has resulted in a lot of far-right hostility toward the tech industry in general. So they're gonna be happier than you might expect to see SVB die.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1634986466274312192?s=20

They are discussing forgiving all of it, but how it will shakeout I guess depends what Biden is going to want in terms of accountability I suppose, and if he does, how that affects any kind of process that gets depositors close to a full protection.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Well it's more just 'bad'. Woke= bad to them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Compounding interest on banked genders is how we sustainably increase the total number of them year to year

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Here's the interesting bit from the WaPo article:

quote:

Selling SVB to a healthy institution remains the preferred solution, officials have told members of Congress. Most bank failures are resolved that way and enable depositors to avoid losing any money.

Although the FDIC insures bank deposits up to $250,000, a provision in federal banking law may give them the authority to protect the uninsured deposits as well if they conclude that failing to do so would pose a systemic risk to the broader financial system, the people said. In that event, uninsured deposits could be backstopped by an insurance fund, paid into regularly by U.S. banks.

Before that happens, the systemic risk verdict must be endorsed by a two-thirds vote of the Fed’s Board of Governors and the FDIC board along with Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen. No final decision has been made, but the deliberations reflect concern over the collateral damage from SVB’s collapse and authorities’ struggle to respond amid limits on their powers implemented following the 2008 financial bailouts.

Designating TECH BANK systematically important and bailing its depositors out would go over very, very poorly politically. I guess it could still happen, but I'm sure nobody is excited about that as Plan B here.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OK Comer.

Fake edit:

https://twitter.com/RepClayHiggins/status/1498015748492599297?t=5yUH7zn9QU9wTV2WVIO5FQ&s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 12, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well it's more just 'bad'. Woke= bad to them.

No, not "bad". Different word.

quote:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “friend of the family, friend of the family, friend of the family.” By 1968 you can’t say “friend of the family”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “friend of the family, friend of the family.”

The core of republican propaganda is still just finding new ways to say the same thing over again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

roffles posted:

What the gently caress is a woke bank?

Any bank that fails like this, at least according to RWM, so this way they can blame whatever happened on liberal policies instead of capitalism, which is infallible.

Like it says in the bible.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Buckwheat Sings posted:

No, woke is the new word for people who put up with minorities. Plug that in and it works even better.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1634986466274312192?s=20

They are discussing forgiving all of it, but how it will shakeout I guess depends what Biden is going to want in terms of accountability I suppose, and if he does, how that affects any kind of process that gets depositors close to a full protection.

Hahaha. 2008 all over again.

Fuckers have the memory of a goldfish. Let SVB burn or seize the assets of the wealthy.

It’s amazing the talk of bailing out SVB is happening right after the Dems worked with Republicans to gently caress over the working class by killing a strike and right before the Dems plan to work with republicans to gently caress over the working class by “balancing the budget”.

It’s tiresome seeing the same rhetoric follow by the same anti-working class actions.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 12, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did I just have a stroke?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Please refrain from doing vvvvvv edits.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

They did Pride Day events and other inclusive stuff for LGBTQ+ employees.

In general, the far right culture-war types have a lot of hate for the tech startup ecosystem. Even though Silicon Valley is full of libertarians with right-wing economic sensibilities, it's still urban California, and so it pays lip-service to liberal social policies like "not openly hating gay people". On top of that, the MAGAs have made a huge deal about being Censored by Big Tech because their social media posts don't get as many likes as they expect, which has resulted in a lot of far-right hostility toward the tech industry in general. So they're gonna be happier than you might expect to see SVB die.
I dunno. My wife works for a pretty old and large accounting firm in North Carolina that also does a lot of the same community building business and takes pro-social justice stances. I think a lot of offices just become pretty cosmopolitan by sheer size and scope even if they're in more conservative regions.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Fuckers have the memory of a goldfish. Let SVB burn or seize the assets of the wealthy.

It’s amazing the talk of bailing out SVB is happening right after the Dems worked with Republicans to gently caress over the working class by killing a strike and right before the Dems plan to work with republicans to gently caress over the working class by “balancing the budget”.

It’s tiresome seeing the same rhetoric follow by the same anti-working class actions.

SVB isn’t being bailed out. It has already failed and its owners (shareholders) have lost all their money. The government is only talking about making depositors whole.

This is nothing like 2008.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kavros posted:

The failure of this bank is an EXTINCTION LEVEL EVENT for companies that can ONLY USE THIS BANK for SOME INCONCEIVABLE REASON

My understanding is that many startups who receive VC funding were required to bank there as part of the terms of the funding agreement.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It’s amazing the talk of bailing out SVB

svb ded, it's in federal receivership and is going to be sold to some other bank with Conditions attached

Under normal circumstances, 1) depositors would be made whole as a part of this process with little to no public funds involved and 2) nobody in this thread would notice much, because it's happened hundreds of times in the last decade. That's precisely why FDIC likes to sweep in on Friday afternoon and get 2.5-3 free days to handle the reorganization, at least enough to keep depostitors from losing their money or access to it. This bank failure is a little unusual in terms of size, and a lot unusual in terms of it collapsing before the FDIC could sneak in and make the problem a nothingburger from a national media (and bank run fears!) perspective. Now instead of waking up on Monday to "SVB is now owned by Bank of America and a lot of grim-faced federal employees are poring over its former incarnation's risk documents", we're arguing over the weekend about commercial bank accounts.

I haven't yet seen a deep dive on actual remaining svb assets vs unsecured deposits. The napkin math I've been seeing suggests there's enough there there that the FDIC should be able to make depositors whole either with no public money via the sale, or only a little public money via a bridge loan or something. I don't know what carrots the FDIC historically offers to bidders on failed banks, just that they sometimes exist.

As I keep banging on about, I think what people's guts understand as a "bailout" is unlikely, and I think we'll know more on Monday, which is normally when we'd find out about a bank the FDIC took control of anyway.

Seph posted:

SVB isn’t being bailed out. It has already failed and its owners (shareholders) have lost all their money. The government is only talking about making depositors whole.

This is nothing like 2008.

oh sure, say the same thing in a tenth as many words why don't you

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Needs the video accompaniment to really sell it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2lXf9r5DSM

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

It's a bank of pronouns

A miserable pile of securities!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I still don't know what "woke" means but, as far as I can tell, it's the new term for "politically correct" which, to me, always amounted to basically "try not to be an rear end in a top hat". I don't see what's hard about that. I work with a gender neutral person that eschews pronouns and, while I may not entirely get it, it's no real skin off my back to accommodate how this person would like to be treated and it doesn't really affect my life in any way whatsoever.

"Being polite to people" shouldn't be some huge burden on people for the most part but I mean god help you if you don't worship cops and veterans and stand for the flag at a football game. And also, good grief, look out if you say "Jesus Christ" or drop an f bomb around some easily triggered christian; a group of people that most of us constantly have to coddle and tap dance around.

No one is more miserable or easy to offend than the ones who claim to have the keys to heaven and who would seemingly be the most at peace.

E

It's similar to the way they pretend to care about veterans and the teachings of the bible but really loving hate all those lazy homeless people because, no sir, no crossover there with vets and the homeless, nope.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 12, 2023

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I still don't know what "woke" means but, as far as I can tell, it's the new term for "politically correct" which, to me, always amounted to basically "try not to be an rear end in a top hat". I don't see what's hard about that. I work with a gender neutral person that eschews pronouns and, while I may not entirely get it, it's no real skin off my back to accommodate how this person would like to be treated and it doesn't really affect my life in any way whatsoever.

It started as a black movement watchword, but the pejorative use today generally implies a level of performative hypocrisy. People do use the term in dumb ways, but the reason it’s caught on is because people instinctively understand it as a system of double-standards used to gain and maintain power. Control language, control the argument, generate outrage to take out and replace key people. I think most people are earnest about it, but examples abound of the “right people” getting a pass on objectively disqualifying behavior.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Watching that david sacks dipshit whine and cry that the banks he didn't want to be regulated should have been more stable is the funniest thing

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

roffles posted:

What the gently caress is a woke bank? Was SVB offering zero interest loans for abortions

The first bank I find with drag queen tellers is the one in putting everything into.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the banks are too busy counting how many genders there are, instead of counting money

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

With all these woke banks I'm guessing redlining is a thing of the past, right?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Barely a year old and this already feels like something from a nostalgic past where they griped about the youths rather than engaging in open and direct exterminationism. :sigh:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It started as a black movement watchword, but the pejorative use today generally implies a level of performative hypocrisy. People do use the term in dumb ways, but the reason it’s caught on is because people instinctively understand it as a system of double-standards used to gain and maintain power. Control language, control the argument, generate outrage to take out and replace key people. I think most people are earnest about it, but examples abound of the “right people” getting a pass on objectively disqualifying behavior.

True, and it's also like saying you don't have the right to not be offended - at least to them - and that's the crux of their whole argument.

Which is true. You don't have an inherent right to not be offended, but the problem is that they go out of their way to intentionally offend people just to make this point and claim freedom of speech instead of at least trying to be polite and then act like that the people that they provoke are the ones with the problem. You can just leave gay and trans people the gently caress alone and get on with your day but these types act like it's "constantly being shoved down their throats" as if watching the Oscars and seeing Brokeback Mountain win an award is upsetting their apple cart and part of some invented agenda they've pictured in their minds that's ruining their and the American way of life.

By and large, they're the ones feeling offended all the time because a movie had two guys kissing in it and Colin Kapernick did a peaceful protest because he thought that cops shouldn't be allowed to legally murder black people for no reason. They're the most delicate snowflakes I run across but they act like people like me simply can't take a joke because I don't find them funny and find their grievances misplaced.

There is NO ONE more easily triggered and offended than a conservative gun toting MAGA dude who pretends to worship Jesus Christ and Always Stands for the Flag, with bumper stickers and t-shirts that let you know all about it. They're afraid of everything and are miserable angry people with a never ending list of complaints.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's also important that 'woke' is part of the right's othering and strawmanning campaign. They always employ some version of this. Steal a relatively positive or innocuous term from the left, create a caricature that only your supporters understand, and then convince everyone you're dunking on the caricature 24-7.

As an example, when the right says 'woke' to it's supporters, their supporters envision a carefully cultivated image: a whiny liberal who has either invented a problem that does not exist (because of course racism and sexism are not real) and attempts to control your behavior with those outrages; or they represent an intrinsically bad thing and they want you to adopt the bad thing. This feels extremely important to their control of narrative. If you can make your supporters believe that the opposition is either fake, delusional, or evil, then you can be as bad as you want to them. The subversion of 'woke' accomplishes all three.

The fact that the term basically comes from black communities is just icing for these people.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mendrian posted:

It's also important that 'woke' is part of the right's othering and strawmanning campaign. They always employ some version of this. Steal a relatively positive or innocuous term from the left, create a caricature that only your supporters understand, and then convince everyone you're dunking on the caricature 24-7.

As an example, when the right says 'woke' to it's supporters, their supporters envision a carefully cultivated image: a whiny liberal who has either invented a problem that does not exist (because of course racism and sexism are not real) and attempts to control your behavior with those outrages; or they represent an intrinsically bad thing and they want you to adopt the bad thing. This feels extremely important to their control of narrative. If you can make your supporters believe that the opposition is either fake, delusional, or evil, then you can be as bad as you want to them. The subversion of 'woke' accomplishes all three.

The fact that the term basically comes from black communities is just icing for these people.

Right?

Why should I have to change my entire life to coddle to your needs and your precious feelings, huh? Everywhere I look, there's gay stuff and transexuals shoved down my throat and liberals! When all I wanna do is open carry my gun into a movie theater full of 10 year old kids so everyone feels safe! USA USA USA!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mendrian posted:

See also their use of the word “groomer” to anything even vaguely LGBTQ+ related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s also about neutralizing a term that they rightly perceive as threatening to them. They want to spoil language about grooming because they resist the idea that children should have a say in what happens to them or that children have rights. They see in the historical use of woke the ability to perceive and critique white supremacy, and they don’t want you to be able to do that. Critical race theory can name things that can go wrong with our system, and they don’t want anyone to be able to name those things. It’s the same with gaslighting, karen, etc. It probably goes back a long way.