Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You saw that same poo poo with "learn COBOL, many mainframe jobs open everywhere!" when that generation started retiring.

Turns out it wasn't just learning COBOL, it was also learning the entire hosed up IBM ecosystem and lingo and learning TSO and job scheduling and ingratiating yourself with graybeards. No job is worth that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Still, there’s no need to panic yet, say analysts.

now, in our next segment, we’ll explain why your death is inevitable unless you started panicking several weeks ago

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hmm

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

i suspected something like this would be the case

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

That sucks, and I’m sorry. :smith:
The “just learn to code” joke is also dangerous advice for anyone who takes it seriously. It’s a very insular community and getting in is very difficult and takes a decade or more to start making a decent living.

Depends on where you are and how good your social skills are, if there's an active meet up or discord or whatever where you are and the people aren't weirdos (a real risk) then you can probably talk your way into a job or at least contract work if you have some technical chops. Coder jobs are still way way overpaid in the US compared to everywhere else so even an entry level developer is gonna make more than say a teacher.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I accidentally got a job doing data entry at a big chemical company while I was looking for more permanent employment in the utility trades and lucked into learning database stuff and lucked into the health insurance industry, if I hadn't answered a lovely job listing from Adecco in 2007, hadn't got into loving around with the DB stuff they gave me access to, and hadn't put a throwaway line in my resume in 2012 that got me into the health insurance industry my life would be significantly different and significantly shittier right now. It's all either knowing the right people or luck.

The mid-career people will probably be fine, people graduating 2022-2023 are fuckkkkeddddd

yeah, i had some luck and started self teaching before the boot camps were really a thing, so over ten years ago now. i may still be able to find something but i haven't done any real coding work for 5-6 years. i can barely get a referral since everyone's on a freeze or the positions just don't exist, and now the ones i did (though they didn't work out) may be hosed anyway if they were in bed with svb or even as a ripple effect. the new grads are hosed.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
my tiny credit union with like five branch offices decided to e-mail all their customers last night for no reason at all to say that they had no connection to SVB and that all deposits are insured by something like FDIC, but is explicitly not FDIC

Monday is gonna be spicy

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

I wonder what her company "Strongsuit" does. Probably something of immense value.

...???

even better

https://twitter.com/ChuckVacuumBeth/status/1634781787942518784

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
BANK RUNS BANK RUNS BANK RUNS

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

a year ago i had to fill a position to help take some stuff off my plate and we had the headcount, and we had over 700 applicants

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

skaboomizzy posted:

my tiny credit union with like five branch offices decided to e-mail all their customers last night for no reason at all to say that they had no connection to SVB and that all deposits are insured by something like FDIC, but is explicitly not FDIC

Monday is gonna be spicy

Yeah FDIC is only for banks with state/federal bank charters. Credit unions do have their own government backstop thinger (National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)). They're also for a bunch of reasons way less likely to self immolate in a capitalist hellfire.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this has to be some sort of crime right

Short sellers do this a lot. Proving anything criminal would be difficult.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

lmao thanks for this

i dug up the source https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/11/silicon-valley-bank-weaken-risk-regulations-svb if people need it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

those losses would be a lot more of they tried to realize them

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm pro bank run

I'm just for the jobs that the bank run will bring

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

skaboomizzy posted:

Monday is gonna be spicy

credit unions are insured by NCUSIF/NCUA

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

it's my money and i need it now!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rags are bourgeois. Wear the skins of animals you poached for meat.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

so they'll definitely tell us when it is time to panic of course

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

BANK RUNS BANK RUNS BANK RUNS

but to the tune of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1vRvW3QUys

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol tech is an absolute poo poo show for new people in the field. Every job these days wants a “senior” developer with 10 years of experience to do the job of 5 people for the pay of 1.

Good luck getting into the industry as an idiot with a freshly minted degree!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rank buns, wash your rear end.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Oglethorpe posted:

credit unions are insured by NCUSIF/NCUA

yeah I know my tiny pittance is safe but the fact that they thought they had to send this out to all customers at 9:30 Sunday morning indicates that they got a lot of freaked out people calling customer service the last couple days

again, Monday is gonna be wild

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

skaboomizzy posted:

yeah I know my tiny pittance is safe but the fact that they thought they had to send this out to all customers at 9:30 Sunday morning indicates that they got a lot of freaked out people calling customer service the last couple days

again, Monday is gonna be wild

there's going to be so much money moving out of small banks on monday rofl

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol at the humble brag people said SVB was the only bank failure of the year. SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

is there an opposite of an elephant in the room? where everybody keeps talking about the elephant in the room and doesn't leave, while one man blocks the only exit door behind them

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

who rings the bell?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Humana has publicly announced that they're giving up on providing actual health insurance to group policyholders and are going all in on Medicare Advantage scams, sounds like a growth market if anyone is looking.

some marketing database somewhere has my cell number linked with my father's age and as soon as he turned 65 my phone got inundated with Medicare Advantage sales cold calls. dozens in a day, it was insane.

those stupid plans must print money for there to be that aggressive of a sales operation going on.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TDepressionEarl posted:

who rings the bell?

The New York Stock Exchange welcomes executives and guests of Ireland INC in celebration of the 11th annual Ireland Day. To honor the occasion, Ian Hyland, President, will ring The Opening Bell®.

https://www.nyse.com/bell/calendar

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol these motherfuckers are pivoting to "you're not bailing out our bad gambling debts you're bailing out lunch ladies and bus drivers"

https://twitter.com/danprimack/status/1634960013667041280

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s managements job to make payroll. maybe they should not have had all their money in one bank

Apr 7, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

some marketing database somewhere has my cell number linked with my father's age and as soon as he turned 65 my phone got inundated with Medicare Advantage sales cold calls. dozens in a day, it was insane.

those stupid plans must print money for there to be that aggressive of a sales operation going on.

CMS knows they're being scammed with Part C plans but has openly said that they're not going in hard on enforcement actions because members are still getting the services they need.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/08/upshot/medicare-advantage-fraud-allegations.html

I worked for one of these companies, the Medicare Advantage group was a block box completely separate from the rest of the company and did their own thing completely siloed off from the traditional insurance wing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

loving bus drivers and lunch ladies lmao, the ones they wanted to all be fired when they complained how horrible silicon valley nerds treat them at their lovely tech jobs? those folks?

Apr 7, 2003

When you make up 27% of the market I guess you can just steal whatever you'd like, no one's going to stop you

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jim Cramer has rung the NYSE bell twice. Once on July 18th, 2022. The market went down by -0.83% that day.

The other time was March 6th, 2020, in the middle of the Covid crash. The market gapped down but rebounded midday, for a finish of -1.65%. That was a Friday; the following Monday March 9th the market crashed -7.81% and we hit circuit breakers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is also 0% chance charter schools employ lunch staff and bus drivers

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol these motherfuckers are pivoting to "you're not bailing out our bad gambling debts you're bailing out lunch ladies and bus drivers"

https://twitter.com/danprimack/status/1634960013667041280

The infrastructure to teach the next generation of these rich assholes is collapsing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

there is also 0% chance charter schools employ lunch staff and bus drivers

i think some of these wealthier startup companies do, and I remember the rhetoric about them when they complained about these freaks.