Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
There are some OK starter options at tackle but also there's a reason those guys hit free agency.

Brown is the best option available, but he looked shaky at times last year and supposedly wants to set the market for LT despite probably being around the middle of the pack at the position. Plus he doesn't fit the athletic mold Poles supposedly looks for in o-linemen

McGary and Taylor are coming off good years, and they're young, but also they kind of sucked before last year so you gotta worry about whether their contract year was an aberration.

McGlinchey is fine but his weakness is pass-blocking, which is already the weakness of the Bears offensive line, so... (this also goes for McGary)

Once you add in the fact that even the RTs are gonna be looking for $15-20 million/year paydays, and I'm pretty ambivalent about the tackle market. If I had to pick one, I'd probably try to spring for Taylor and pray that his pass blocking holds up because lord knows the Bears need it, but I'd just as soon focus our free agent spending on building the D-line and try to target an OT at 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Brown feels like the safest option, but all the reports seem to point to McGlinchey. Truth is, even with their weakness, all those guys are an upgrade over Borom.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, that's the thing. The pieces available in free agency could help the Bears get from trash to fine, which would be a huge upgrade. It just isn't very likely that they'll go from trash to legitimately good via free agency

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Sataere posted:

Brown is good, but inconsistent. McGlinchey is solid at run blocking, but atrocious at pass protection. Taylor is good as pass pro, but not so good in the run game. But for free agency, everyone is going to be flawed because if they weren't, they wouldn't be free agents.

Brown is probably the one you want to blow all the money on but the others are pretty iffy. And with Brown you are probably looking at 25M a year at least... which is an awful lot of money. I mean the Bears have the cap space so sure and there's a real good argument that going from F- tackles to even league average would've made the offense better but imo there's better ways of utilizing all that cap space. If the Saints weren't crazy they'd could really help their cap situation out by trading some like Ryan Ramcyzk to the Bears etc. They have _so much_ cap space there's some inventive things they can do with it beyond just blowing a ton of money on whoever happens to be a FA this year.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Are the Packers letting him go because of off the field issues? He fell off a little last year but he wasn’t awful and was playing with a broken thumb

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

sponges posted:

Are the Packers letting him go because of off the field issues? He fell off a little last year but he wasn’t awful and was playing with a broken thumb

They have to see what they have in Love before they decide to re-sign him or look elsewhere and Rodgers's contract is probably something they'd like to get rid of.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sponges posted:

His contract is very bad and it's not like he's gonna be less likely to be physically compromised somehow in his age 39-40 season.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i want that weird, bad haircut having bitch to gently caress OFF!!!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

adaz posted:

Brown is probably the one you want to blow all the money on but the others are pretty iffy. And with Brown you are probably looking at 25M a year at least... which is an awful lot of money. I mean the Bears have the cap space so sure and there's a real good argument that going from F- tackles to even league average would've made the offense better but imo there's better ways of utilizing all that cap space. If the Saints weren't crazy they'd could really help their cap situation out by trading some like Ryan Ramcyzk to the Bears etc. They have _so much_ cap space there's some inventive things they can do with it beyond just blowing a ton of money on whoever happens to be a FA this year.

I am in love with this idea. I also am curious what Poles does in free agency. He doesn't strike me as a free agency guy.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Sataere posted:

I am in love with this idea. I also am curious what Poles does in free agency. He doesn't strike me as a free agency guy.

He played money ball all last year signing random hole fillers and scooping up players from practice squads and fresh cuts like Leatherwood and Nkeal Harry. He didnt make any splashes because that wasnt the strategy last year, but he worked the field.

I think he'll do pretty good. He's shown that he can play hardball in negotiations and wont over pay. Thats why roquan is gone. The DJ Moore trade is pretty stellar already and it makes chicago a place some players want to play at.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sponges posted:

He's going to be 40 and it's usually better to move on a year too early than a year too late. Tom Brady is the outlier of outliers.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

ZombieCrew posted:

He played money ball all last year signing random hole fillers and scooping up players from practice squads and fresh cuts like Leatherwood and Nkeal Harry. He didnt make any splashes because that wasnt the strategy last year, but he worked the field.

I think he'll do pretty good. He's shown that he can play hardball in negotiations and wont over pay. Thats why roquan is gone. The DJ Moore trade is pretty stellar already and it makes chicago a place some players want to play at.

The more I think about it, the more i think he isn't very active early in free agency. And he hits that second wave of free agency hard. Maybe one signing that first week.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Saw a dude wearing a Poles 3:16 shirt at the Shedd today lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sataere posted:

The more I think about it, the more i think he isn't very active early in free agency. And he hits that second wave of free agency hard. Maybe one signing that first week.

He was.

He signed a DT the first day last year but the dt failed their physical.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Considering all of the rookie contracts, how much do the bears have left to spend on free agents now?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think around like 70 million. I'm not 100% sure as I don't have the numbers in front of me after the DJ more trade

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is Edmunds from buffalo going to want roquan money?

Also I don't think Braxton Jones was that awful at left tackle. Probably the second best offensive lineman after Jenkins at RG. So going with mcglinchey over brown would make sense, but so would going for skoronski in the draft and putting him wherever needed

They do need a ton of depth in case of injuries so I'd almost rather them sign like 3 o linemen than one of the top guys

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 12, 2023

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

brugroffil posted:

Does this mean Fields is gonna die or

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

He was.

He signed a DT the first day last year but the dt failed their physical.

One guy at the start of free agency is not what I'd call active.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pontius Pilate posted:

Does this mean Fields is gonna die or

Yes.
Unless he gets 3 line men for about 16 million

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

brugroffil posted:

Same dude has a pile of old Bears jerseys in his closet: Cade McNown, Rashaan Salaam, David Terrell, Curtis Enis...

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Same dude has a pile of old Bears jerseys in his closet: Cade McNown, Rashaan Salaam, David Terrell, Curtis Enis...

I feel attacked. Also thanks for piling it on by not mentioning anyone that started their career prior to 1995.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
there were so many zorich and salaam jerseys around? did jerseys suddenly get affordable in the 90s and since no one on the team was any good everyone just bought the jersey of high picks?

i don't remember ever seeing a kramer or harbaugh jersey though

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
quick research found this

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
No one wanted a bears qb jersey. They wanted the next bears d or rb star.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGIdJO-HH0

Sounds like we get the decision tomorrow. He said he'd decide by the time limit (free agency starts at noon tomorrow).

Probably something like we get the decision tomorrow then he'll talk about it on McAfee on Tuesday.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Remember when he said he wouldn’t drag this out

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sounds like we get the decision tomorrow. He said he'd decide by the time limit (free agency starts at noon tomorrow).

I think the legal tampering period begins tomorrow, then free agency (and the new league year) opens on Wednesday.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pops Mgee posted:

Yeah, he's a liar.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pops Mgee posted:

It's March. Favre unretired in August and had to be emergency traded away.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MJeff posted:

Yeah, he's a liar.

:hmmyes:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I mean I hate rodgers as much as the next guy but tbf he said he would decide before free agency starts.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1634982291633221632

You couldn't match this, Brad....?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

I mean I hate rodgers as much as the next guy but tbf he said he would decide before free agency starts.

Yeah, and it's been barely 2 months since he played potentially his last football game for the Packers. There's 5 months until summer camp starts. I don't understand the people who say he's dragging it out.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

He's been dragging it out over the past 2 years tbh

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, and it's been barely 2 months since he played potentially his last football game for the Packers. There's 5 months until summer camp starts. I don't understand the people who say he's dragging it out.

They're just tired of him and want to stop hearing from him. Can't blame 'em, but Aaron was always gonna be Aaron and make at least a little production of this.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

When he said he would have an answer when he came back from his darkness whatever, then he bailed out halfway through and that was like three weeks ago and we're still waiting, then I start to think this motherfucker is on his "I want more headlines" poo poo again.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1634984765207248897

Y'know what fine screw you Jalen, we're just gonna get Slay anyway! :mad:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

anyway, my general hunch is that he almost assuredly has already made his decision a while ago, and is just not gonna say poo poo until the deal is announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1634984765207248897

Y'know what fine screw you Jalen, we're just gonna get Slay anyway! :mad:

This is how I find out Ramsey was traded