Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh my god, I I got to emails in this week's podcast and wondered how there was still 25 minutes left, since they tend to do like one or two emails and then swiftly bail

I didn't realize I was in for maybe the most insane pat lore yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh my god, I I got to emails in this week's podcast and wondered how there was still 25 minutes left, since they tend to do like one or two emails and then swiftly bail

I've been skipping emails for a while now, but I'll deffo check this one's out then

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Pat explained it a little bit better in one of his streams, but yeah my mouth was open for some of that discussion

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is Pat running a voice changer on his streams or something? I tuned in to his RE4 stream and he sounds a lot more nasally/higher pitched than usual.

Edit: Tried on my phone and he sounds normal. For some reason my weird setup has everything pitched up a bit.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I mean he has a voice changer. It's used for the pay pig oink oink oink donation or whatever though

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
This reminds me, has it always been the case that the audio podcast is, I'm guessing, Woolie's discord audio and it keeps turning down Pat if Woolie is making any noise?

I feel like it was normal and it changed maybe a month or two ago or maybe I wasn't paying attention as well as I thought. Now every once in a while they'll both be talking or Woolie will be laughing at something and Pat becomes almost inaudible.

I'm probably just crazy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought Pat just leaned away from the mic sometimes.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
His mic's software has peaking prevention that cuts out if it detects a really loud noise. Unfortunately it also works on him.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
It's not him peaking, you can still hear him but it's hard to make out. It really sounds like his audio's volume goes down if Woolie's making any noise, like it's prioritizing it.

It could be Pat leaning away, I'd have to compare to the video version and that's maybe too much :effort:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Woolie saying 'free use' instead of 'fair use' is some top tier malapropism

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

thank you- i'm familiar with the term and i was extremely, extremely taken aback by that title and could not possibly imagine what that could mean for the podcast

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Here it is

Maybe the craziest thing we've learned about the bald man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXQwCcob5hU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Can't hear a guitar riff in his head because he's not a guitar

what

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I feel like I've heard about people only "hearing" their own voice in their heads before, like it was a mildly common thing similar to aphantasia, but not how Pat describes it.

Kinda wish someone with proper knowledge about this stuff was present so they could've asked better questions than Woolie. I really want to know exactly wtf Pat means by remembering a song vs "playing" it in his head so he can "hear" it. Like wtf is the second step, or is not recalling a song the same thing for everyone? It almost sounded like this thing I read about a long time ago about how some people when reading silently will still very, very quietly vocalize it internally, like the muscles in the throat used for talking are moving slightly...I'm going to look this up real quick, because it's seriously something I read 20+ years ago...it's called Subvocalization although I'm not sure if this would be the case here but maybe?

The email that started the conversation was implying that all of this was just from a bad study and they think it's a semantics thing due to poor communication, which gets quickly ignored to discuss Pat's thing. I don't buy that myself based on extensive conversations with a few friends that have aphantasia, and oddly the way Pat was describing remembering songs for a bit sounded like how my friends remember images, also the no dreams thing lines up, but he claims he can "see" a photorealistic apple. It almost feels like it's a communication issue with Pat but maybe Woolie just wasn't asking the right questions. Do songs not get stuck in his head or do they just sound like him doing a lovely version of it with acapella melodies? If he sees the Futurama meme of Farnsworth saying "Good news everyone! You're reading this in my voice" does it just not work? We may never know.

What if Pat's right and everyone else is just a much, much better mimic?

Fake edit: Oh god I forgot about him talking about how his dreams work the few times he's remembered them. Most of that aside, referring to it as "a list of things that happened" and memories being a "script" also sounds like aphantasia.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s kind of how I am. I can’t really bring up an image of an apple or whatever but I fully understand what one looks like without issue, there just isn’t a “visual” element going on. Similarly I can’t play back conversations and music despite playing instruments for a decade or so. The data is all there, just not in a way most people seem to interact with it.

To put it in computer toucher terms, it’s like a file explorer set to “details” view while most people apparently have it set to “large icons”.

Pat seems to take things a bit farther where he can “access” the stored data in a similar way to most but his mental “midi controller” only has the one set of instruments, his own voice. Which is interesting/wild in it’s on way but he’s doing better than me I guess.

(Disclaimer: I can actually “view” and “play back” stuff but it takes considerable effort to get what amounts to a blurry out of focus approximation so I usually just don’t bother.)

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 12, 2023

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i feel like pat has to be misunderstanding something because like... if you can't hear the sound of a song in your head, how do you know what it should sound like when you replicate it with your inner voice?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I understand what Pat's saying. I'm not with him all the way, but I experience dreams the same way as he described - no sound at all, and usually total nonsense. If someone is talking, there's no voice, just the understanding of the words that were communicated.

In the same way that Pat internalises a script of the events he experiences, he internalises the 'sheet music' of music he listens to, although he claims not very well. Obviously it's not on the level of an actual script or actual sheet music, something a bit more fundamental.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I don't get it myself but I know better than to question someone's experiences.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

This seems like it's something where the vocabulary being used to describe specific differing experiences just isn't enough. As long as we're using terms like "hear in my head" I don't think there's any way to even begin to properly communicate this kind of perception.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I feel like regardless of whether existing vocabulary is sufficient to discuss this or not, Pat is still describing a secondary thought process that involves him doing a one man show in his head.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont see a problem with him hearing himself in conversation memories. I do not remember things that way, but that doesn't feel like a bridge too far to me.

Songs though--that's bonkers to me

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Same. When it started with him saying that it's mostly a version of his own voice when reading books I understood exactly what he meant. But, not being able to listen to music in your head without you trying to imitate the instruments with your voice is hilarious, disturbing, and a real problem. I have the opposite problem if anything. I feel like I have some song playing in my mind all my waking hours without my permission. Always on in the background. I can't turn my mind off and Pat sounds like it's all he can do to get his inner music even going. Guy sounds like he needs an IV drip of fish oil or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
did woolie forget to release the highlight version of the Hi-Fi Rush finale, or did something happen where he couldn't put out the VOD? was really looking forward to it, I hopped in right as he was fighting Kale so figured I'd check back for the VOD to watch the whole thing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Brightman posted:

Most of that aside, referring to it as "a list of things that happened" and memories being a "script" also sounds like aphantasia.

This is it, the only way it makes sense is if he remembers conversations/audio visually like a transcript, so he can't recall the audio, he can only "read" like he's reading a book. It sounds rough, but I'm also the kind of person who can replay movies in their head so of course I would.

Non-verbal communication in dreams where you just intuit poo poo I get entirely tho.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

Emotional appeals? I'll give you a loving emotional appeal, you miserable poo poo.

I knew a woman who died. Bone cancer, lung cancer, a different bone cancer somehow, obesity, and also some sort of muscular distrophy I don't know the details of, all at the age of seventy. She died real slow--she spent the last year in her apartment, being cared for by her husband, unable to leave. She had good days and bad days, and on the good days she would fade in and out. She couldn't hold a book up to read it, which was hell for a writer. She couldn't watch television because she missed too much of the plot. She couldn't go places. The long, shouting arguments spirited debates she liked to engage in were entirely too exhausting. She couldn't enjoy the foods that made her so goddamn fat. She certainly couldn't write any more.

But she could still play video games. Skyrim moved at exactly her pace. When she was active, she could play the games she'd loved since before most of us goons were born. And when she faded, or drifted off, or when holding the controller limply in her lap was too much, that was fine. Accessibility settings had left her character invincible. Dialog didn't auto-proceed, so if she got tired part way through a conversation, it would patiently wait for her to come back. Combat, travel, inventory management, all of it would advance only when she was there. She spent the end of her life fighting the Draughr.

She was lucky--Skyrim was a game that would accommodate her. If she had been playing one of Hidetaka Miyazaki's games, he wouldn't have allowed her to ruin his artistic vision, and a dying old woman would have been stripped of one of the few pleasures she still had. So Hidetake Miyazaki can go gently caress himself.

And if you want to say she wasn't playing the game right, you can go gently caress yourself too.

i'm sorry

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

in four years there hasnt been a worse post here than that one at least.

also i just listened to the pat voice clip and holy hell not being able to conjure music in my head just kill me. seems like one of those things he unintentionally made a rule or understanding in his head about at a very, very young age and now thats just how his brain works. "i make my own voice and cannot make other sounds, why would my brain be able to do any different?" does make sense as a rule but good god

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"take on me" in pat's voice

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

"take on me" in pat's voice

I can hear him in my head

he's off key

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We must now force him into becoming a voice actor. It's the only way to save him from himself.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/1635467656680579072

I am playing RE4 for the very first time (RE4R looked really hyped and, as a viewer of this group, i've always heard it's an amazing game that'd be in my interests) I actually just finished that room. As someone that doesn't feel that good at the game, playing a Resident Evil for the first time.... skill issue lol. That encounter is great, it's stressful but a ton of fun. Went through it first shot, even though by the end I was panicking and missing scope shots I really normally wouldn't.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Matt's a big ol soft boy who always gives up and skips challenges after 1 or 2 failed attempts iirc so that hot take isn't too surprising- but yea that's absolutely one of the best, most memorable sequences in the whole game!!

edit: That's dope you're enjoying it your first time. Game is a timeless classic and ready to be enjoyed by anyone any where, any time.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Pat trying to trick Woolie into playing Tetra Master is some top quality stuff.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

I legitimately don't remember this part at all other than it maybe being an opportunity to snipe a lot?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Szmitten posted:

I legitimately don't remember this part at all other than it maybe being an opportunity to snipe a lot?

it’s the hardest setpiece in the game by a pretty wide margin

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Iirc you blow a hole or two in the shields and snipe through them so you not? I need to get back to playing through the VR version. If you thought the Wii-mote was a busted way to play then you need to take that for a spin.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Sniping while being sniper at with arrows

This was the room that proved to people that Capcom made things easier for the player if they kept dying over and over again

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

ConanThe3rd posted:

Pat trying to trick Woolie into playing Tetra Master is some top quality stuff.
I fully expect Tetra Master to give Woolie a stroke

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If he doesn't inflict it on everone else trying to over-psyhcoanalise every card he plays the first time he plays by accident.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Warbird posted:

Iirc you blow a hole or two in the shields and snipe through them so you not?

That was my instinct seeing that image yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Pat's Last of Us show ending take is wild to me. I think it is completely opposite and they corrected to far in the other direction making Joel look like a complete psychopath monster who is 100% in the wrong. They even gave him ominous villain music and shot the rampage to look like a mass shooting.