Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Black Griffon posted:

What's the consensus on Sons of the Forest?

A bug-filled mess. Not surprising for an Early Access but not worth playing right now. I’m waiting for the full release to play again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Seems like it’s got a good base but if you’re on the fence and/or doing have a friend crew chomping at the bit to play it, it’ll be a lot better with a few patches and new content under its belt certainly. I really enjoyed it at launch but I’m putting it down for a bit so I’m not burned out when it’s more polished.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So I hear what you're all saying, but part of me wants to just punch the Peaceful button and... chop down every single tree in the forest.

Probably won't! I'll decide later today if I'll refund it and put it back on my waitlist for later.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SoTF does look good, I think the explanation for Kelvin being the way he is that his eardrums were blown out and he's just deaf is far less distasteful than my initial interpretation of him being brain damaged but it still does feel weird that you have a helper and a GPS and markers from the start that tell you where to go when the first game was so much about finding that stuff on your own. It's probably a game I'll wait on but will more than likely be picking it up whenever it comes out of EA.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ok you jerks got me to get Card Survival (And are wearing down my resistance to Forest 2 as well though it does sound better to wait).

Any good beginner tips for Card Survival? Pitfalls to avoid?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok you jerks got me to get Card Survival (And are wearing down my resistance to Forest 2 as well though it does sound better to wait).

https://www.nexusmods.com/cardsurvivaltropicalisland

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

explosivo posted:

SoTF does look good, I think the explanation for Kelvin being the way he is that his eardrums were blown out and he's just deaf is far less distasteful than my initial interpretation of him being brain damaged but it still does feel weird that you have a helper and a GPS and markers from the start that tell you where to go when the first game was so much about finding that stuff on your own. It's probably a game I'll wait on but will more than likely be picking it up whenever it comes out of EA.

Wait, so did people make up the brain damage thing and that's not actually what's supposed to be going on?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Black Griffon posted:

So I hear what you're all saying, but part of me wants to just punch the Peaceful button and... chop down every single tree in the forest.

Probably won't! I'll decide later today if I'll refund it and put it back on my waitlist for later.
That's what I've been doing, and it's pretty enjoyable with no enemies and just a lumberjack sim. I've built a nice little cabin with a porch and chairs, so my AI friends and I will chill there in the evenings and look at the pond/river :3:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tiny Timbs posted:

Wait, so did people make up the brain damage thing and that's not actually what's supposed to be going on?

Maybe, when I played the game the player character's reaction definitely felt like it was a "there's nobody in there" sort of thing, and combined with Kelvin's vacant stare and blood coming out of his ears I assumed the worst. I don't think people made it up so much as they never explain it either way so it's probably left up to the players' interpretation.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

Maybe, when I played the game the player character's reaction definitely felt like it was a "there's nobody in there" sort of thing, and combined with Kelvin's vacant stare and blood coming out of his ears I assumed the worst. I don't think people made it up so much as they never explain it either way so it's probably left up to the players' interpretation.
I think I remember seeing an animation where you snap your fingers/wave your hand in front of his face and he sorta sleepily ignores it.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So the Islander start is almost too easy. It is a good way to get a handle on the layout of the island and buildings though. If you’re going that route there are a lot of pitfalls you’ve already avoided. If you went with a more neutral character, it’s a bit more fun and rewards you with an interesting but mostly unnecessary perk system that is still probably better balanced than the islander. The islander does have a unique set of objectives, however, so may still be worth a run.

Biggest tip: exploring to 100% is for landmarks, new areas. You can still explore past that for more plants, resources, etc.
As others have said, you can also often directly work locations for a resource as well. Saves some hassle searching if you’ve already 100% an area.
you can roast coconut to lessen the poop problem
Some storage items can be worn. They burden less this way. The islander starts with a few, with things already inside.
The help system is actually pretty helpful, despite having some gaps.
Washing your hands or diving in one of the safer locations can make you wet. During the first few days, this is a great way to reduce your rate of dehydration from the heat and thus decrease your coconut consumption and thus prevent you from pooping out all your water. The poop spiral is a real problem before you diversify your diet. The poop spiral is real.

You’ll unlock new crafting by pre-requisite items and skill levels. You can even research while sleeping.

I’m sure there are a few other things that escape me atm.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Vib Rib posted:

I think I remember seeing an animation where you snap your fingers/wave your hand in front of his face and he sorta sleepily ignores it.

I watched a video about it on some game festival or another so I already knew the context, but you're literally just survived a helicopter crash, so it's pretty clearly implied that he's in shock/concussed in addition to having lost his hearing.

SubponticatePoster posted:

That's what I've been doing, and it's pretty enjoyable with no enemies and just a lumberjack sim. I've built a nice little cabin with a porch and chairs, so my AI friends and I will chill there in the evenings and look at the pond/river :3:

Yeah, the urge is truly there. It's a nice forest.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think the biggest thing to understand to avoid a deadman walking pitfall, is that your hunger bar is just that, your hunger, it's not representive of your actual starving/well fed state and can also be affected by things like mood (when your depressed as poo poo you feel like eating less), long term diet and a few other stats. If it's empty you won't drop dead, you just get a big mood debuff. If it's full you get a mood buff and overfilling it makes you nauseous.

You can be filling the bar up in a way that feels natural to you but still end up starving to death with a full stomach in the long run. Generally, if you have the food to spare it's best to overeat, as this will help you put on weight and will over time steadily increase how much you can shove down your gullet without getting pukey.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

explosivo posted:

There are multiple scenes with you snapping your fingers in front of him, and you literally taking a piece of paper and sticking it on his chest.

There's no way they intended him to be just deaf. When you give him a command he nods his head with his mouth open very happily like a bad impression of Forrest Gump.

I wouldn't be surprised if the devs are trying to backtrack and say "oh nooo this is just a misunderstanding" but there are too many detailed intentional choices with the character to just think he's deaf.

I dunno, I just have very little faith in these gamer bro indie studios. I mean one of the sidekicks is a skinny hot mutant girl in a swimsuit. It's all just typical poor judgment and taste you get with a bunch of young dudes in their 20s having no one second guess their choices.

The Ready or Not FPS were going to make a school shooting map. They also have stripper dancer girls who hit on you after they're arrested.

The scum survival game made the female clothing models more "realistic" by making everything skintight and bimbofied, and in 7DTD the only female zombies are blonde women in short dresses with massive boobs.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hakarne posted:

Patch today for Sons of the Forest added some neat stuff:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1326470/view/3680042425366182429

I'm most excited for the Hang Glider as I just finished a zipline system to take me from my base to the top of the mountain.

Edit: Also being able to lock doors and build gates for defensive walls is nice lol

"Increased health on creepies depending on amount of multiplayer players active"

Boooooo

I hate this poo poo.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I finished Sons of the Forest with our party of five. It was fun and pretty. Buggy at times but a cool 15 hour playthrough of cool building and adventures and I felt like I got my money’s worth.

Gonna pick it up again after a few patches.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

There are multiple scenes with you snapping your fingers in front of him, and you literally taking a piece of paper and sticking it on his chest.

There's no way they intended him to be just deaf. When you give him a command he nods his head with his mouth open very happily like a bad impression of Forrest Gump.

I wouldn't be surprised if the devs are trying to backtrack and say "oh nooo this is just a misunderstanding" but there are too many detailed intentional choices with the character to just think he's deaf.

I dunno, I just have very little faith in these gamer bro indie studios. I mean one of the sidekicks is a skinny hot mutant girl in a swimsuit. It's all just typical poor judgment and taste you get with a bunch of young dudes in their 20s having no one second guess their choices.

The scum survival game made the female clothing models more "realistic" by making everything skintight and bimbofied, and in 7DTD the only female zombies are blonde women in short dresses with massive boobs.

I could live without the comically large butts on SCUM females, but the female clothing and armor looks a lot better than on male models now. The armor especially looks like it will actually protect rather than be just a heavy tent you wear over your clothes.

In SoTF they went a bit too far as to wet clothing realism goes, but there's also a lore reason for the female NPC to wear what she does and you can give her other clothes to wear, such as a gaudy 80s tracksuit or a military outfit.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Yeah look this ain't my hill to die on but whatever lore reasons they have were clearly something put in after an original decision to put in weird hot babe mutant with long legs. Not pointing this out to start a boycott or something and obviously vidya games prob ain't the place that male gaze and other media poo poo is gonna get fixed. My point is just, if you wanted to put in stuff to appeal to 16yr old gamers then whatever, just own up to it instead of pretending it's an artistic decision or something lol. I'm sure you ask a Skyrim nude modder what motivates them and they'll also put up a grand narrative too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TeaJay posted:

In SoTF they went a bit too far as to wet clothing realism goes, but there's also a lore reason for the female NPC to wear what she does and you can give her other clothes to wear, such as a gaudy 80s tracksuit or a military outfit.
Isn't this what they said about Quiet in MGSV?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Oysters Autobio posted:

and in 7DTD the only female zombies are blonde women in short dresses with massive boobs.
You have, using my names for them: Big Mama (the very large lady), Nurse Jackie (the nurse, obviously), Lab Coat Lady (also self-explanatory), Karen (the readhead wearing normal clothes), Jessie (brunette wearing shorts), and Betty (the brunette with the bob also wearing normal clothes). Party Girl as she's officially known is a bit ehhhh, but a definite improvement over the prior model which was a topless woman wearing a g-string. They got rid of the old nurse model which wore a miniskirt and the cheerleader. So FP were super immature and gross, but at least they're slightly less immature and gross now, I guess?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vib Rib posted:

They absolutely should have just leaned into "we're horny gamers, dude".

Like, its still creepy but I far prefer that over the thinly veiled "acktually"

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Oysters Autobio posted:

I'm sure you ask a Skyrim nude modder what motivates them and they'll also put up a grand narrative too.

I'm 100% sure you're right and also 100% sure that it involves free speech somehow.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

dogstile posted:

They absolutely should have just leaned into "we're horny gamers, dude".

Like, its still creepy but I far prefer that over the thinly veiled "acktually"

On the other hand, a full throated "YOU WILL REGRET YOUR WORDS AND DEEDS" is preferable to a thinly veilded "acktually", even if it's still bad on the spectrum of all things.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Now I want to see Quiet in a gaudy 80's track suit (I'm sure it's already been done)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

You have, using my names for them: Big Mama (the very large lady), Nurse Jackie (the nurse, obviously), Lab Coat Lady (also self-explanatory), Karen (the readhead wearing normal clothes), Jessie (brunette wearing shorts), and Betty (the brunette with the bob also wearing normal clothes). Party Girl as she's officially known is a bit ehhhh, but a definite improvement over the prior model which was a topless woman wearing a g-string. They got rid of the old nurse model which wore a miniskirt and the cheerleader. So FP were super immature and gross, but at least they're slightly less immature and gross now, I guess?

Don't forget the screamer special zombie who summons hordes!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Not sure this is the right thread, but I picked up Medieval Dynasty and they put Banished peanut butter into first person survival crafting chocolate and I am so loving hooked on it.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Not sure this is the right thread, but I picked up Medieval Dynasty and they put Banished peanut butter into first person survival crafting chocolate and I am so loving hooked on it.

Do half of your villagers drop dead from old age at once, leaving your critical, life supporting industries unstaffed, starting a multi-year death spiral from which there is no recovery? Does the thought of accepting groups of migrants into your community make you nervous when you hear about "migrant caravans" from conservative media in real life?

If not, it's no Banished. If yes, my heart wouldn't be able to handle the stress.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

BrianRx posted:

Do half of your villagers drop dead from old age at once, leaving your critical, life supporting industries unstaffed, starting a multi-year death spiral from which there is no recovery? Does the thought of accepting groups of migrants into your community make you nervous when you hear about "migrant caravans" from conservative media in real life?

If not, it's no Banished. If yes, my heart wouldn't be able to handle the stress.

There is apparently a possibility for a death wave if you recruit people of the same age. When they hit 60 they'll drop.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Medieval Dynasty also has the danger of a baby-driven death spiral since new mothers go on maternity leave for a few years instead of harvesting crops

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I fell off medieval dynasty pretty hard when I realized that it takes like ten arrows to down a deer and the deer runs away each time you hit it.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I fell off after realising the game's an empty piece of jank

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah the quests were boring and pointless, and the actual village building mechanics weren't great either.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I picked it up on PS5 and all the UI content is unreadable.

I know I'm getting old but my vision ain't that bad yet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

esquilax posted:

Medieval Dynasty also has the danger of a baby-driven death spiral since new mothers go on maternity leave for a few years instead of harvesting crops

This is the woke rewrite of history I’ve been warning people about

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is the woke rewrite of history I’ve been warning people about

:eyepop:

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Yeah I really wanted to like Medievel Dynasty but its sort of empty once you get through the first few seasons. Not really a survival game in any case, and you're only option are prefabs so there's not much building mechanics either. If it had a free-form Valheim type of building mechanic or something with customization I would very much forgive its other shortcomings.

As well, once you have enough villagers around to do all the labour for you, its like they sort of forgot to have any management mechanic or good UI so its really clunky to actually organize who works where and when. At that point I'm sort of wishing I was playing a RTS overhead style village builder that actually has put effort into designing menus and other stuff for tracking work.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Spanish Matlock posted:

I fell off medieval dynasty pretty hard when I realized that it takes like ten arrows to down a deer and the deer runs away each time you hit it.

the real novice bowhunting experience

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I just finished Green Hell. For anyone thinking of buying it, I recommend you do Survival mode first, THEN the story mode.

The game suffers from the same problem as The Forest: There's no reason to build a base at all. Occaionally you'll build a small shelter to save, but otherwise you keep moving and there's always more than enough of what you need. This completely undermines the central mechanic of these sorts of games: building. If they offered a procedurally generated world to play in Survival mode, the game would be a lot better. As it stands now the survival mode uses the same map as story mode, and there are a lot of set pieces throughout, circumventing the need to actually build.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I sometimes wish there were more games concerned with long term survival, like UnReal World, and not just survival as in "don't get killed by $enemy_of_choice or natural hazards to eventually escape back to civilization"

Like, I play RimWorld and never even think of leaving the planet, just building and living my little slice of life in a harsh world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I sometimes wish there were more games concerned with long term survival, like UnReal World, and not just survival as in "don't get killed by $enemy_of_choice or natural hazards to eventually escape back to civilization"

Like, I play RimWorld and never even think of leaving the planet, just building and living my little slice of life in a harsh world

Vintage Story fits this bill, if you like a melding of minecraft and survival games. It has a seasonal weather cycle, crops have growing seasons and temperature ranges that they tolerate, food spoilage, and different methods of preservation.