Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Or a telescoping supercollider but that I think does something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

$5B is 500 miles of roads to strip malls

or 1/9th of a twitter

The former is only true in America. Most countries don't tolerate that level of grift.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
lets just use all the money of the world at once and build a supercollider in space

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

aliens show up in short shorts and a cheap baseball cap,

"uhhh did a mister I.C. Wiener at this address order a dyson sphere for uhhhhh seven hundred km by seven hundred km star?"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ymgve posted:

lets just use all the money of the world at once and build a supercollider in space

is this the plot of halo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tulip posted:

Or a telescoping supercollider but that I think does something different.

I would assume that's your doomsday weapon to blow up the world

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think she's an important poo poo stirrer to the "industrial science complex", this video was especially compelling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu4mH3Hmw2o

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
yeah we’ve clearly reached the limits of theoretical discovery under the capitalist mode of production and :qq: it turns it history isn’t actually over after all

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Science Rules

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

if you wanna waste an hour on youtube this guy's videos are all pretty watchable. different major physics frauds, why america didn't build a way, way bigger accelerator than CERN's LHC in the 80s (Spoiler: Reagan). The real story of the Bogdanoff twins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe5WT22-AO8

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Antonymous posted:

We still don't understand why quantum physics is weird.

We still don't understand if quantum physics exists at all or is just a result of the mistakes in our basic understanding.

We are absolutely certain we don't understand how basic physics works though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Forget about CERN and devote more funding to CORN

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kitfox88 posted:

Forget about CERN and devote more funding to KORN

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Antonymous posted:

if you wanna waste an hour on youtube this guy's videos are all pretty watchable. different major physics frauds, why america didn't build a way, way bigger accelerator than CERN's LHC in the 80s (Spoiler: Reagan). The real story of the Bogdanoff twins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe5WT22-AO8

This guy is an absolute A+ youtuber, the accelerator one is really fun and a great look at how political persuasion and deadlock work at all levels.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

We still don't understand if quantum physics exists at all or is just a result of the mistakes in our basic understanding.

We are absolutely certain we don't understand how basic physics works though.

I would say quantum physics definitely exist, in the sense that it's extremely accurate and so far never really shown to have flaws in the specific experiments it was designed for, and that we understand basic physics well. What parts are you talking about?

There's big conceptual questions, for example my understanding is that nothing right now, decoherence and many worlds or whatever, can answer both "why are things probabilistic and where do the other probabilities go once a measurement is made?"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Antonymous posted:

I would say quantum physics definitely exist, in the sense that it's extremely accurate and so far never really shown to have flaws in the specific experiments it was designed for, and that we understand basic physics well. What parts are you talking about?

There's big conceptual questions, for example my understanding is that nothing right now, decoherence and many worlds or whatever, can answer both "why are things probabilistic and where do the other probabilities go once a measurement is made?"

:jerkbag:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wuantum physicists are the worst 🖕

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
You sure have read a lot of bullshit you treat as gospel without understanding the fundamental problems with the research.

It can't all be true, it doesn't add up. There's no theory of everything here, we're missing a big piece, and we know we got some of the big things wrong as a result.

Now if you can figure out which things we got wrong and can prove it, there's a nobel for you.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

my theory is uninterpretable nonsense and that proves i've discovered the objective source code of reality. im a quantum physicist. gently caress off

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antonymous posted:

Reject Copenhagen.

Embrace Bohm.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zodium posted:

my theory is uninterpretable nonsense and that proves i've discovered the objective source code of reality. im a quantum physicist. gently caress off

In another universe I am the quantum physicist so if we sun up all universes collectively you should gently caress off

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

we should build a wedgie accelerator for qps

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Ham Equity posted:

The former is only true in America. Most countries don't tolerate that level of grift.

it’s not just America. the strongest correlating factor to cost per mile of a road project is, no joke, whether it is built in an English-speaking country.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Zodium posted:

jokes on you I double majored in theology and philosophy and I didn't even need to leave my room to figure it all out

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i;m a ligma physicist

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

People like to say quantum physics is bullshit cause they never imagine they will understand it much like the fox and the sour grapes or marry shelly’s Frankenstein

But it’s not that complicated and also bohm is out, bells inequalities make it less interesting

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Anyone who thinks it’s not useful or whatever. We understand radioactive decay pretty well and can predict it and that’s all quantum physics it’s pretty solid.

You guys watch too much science fiction movies like the Ironman series. That stuff isn’t really what physics is

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Oh go gently caress yourself you illiterate stoner.

It's not hard to understand, we just don't have the data to verify or falsify it. We know the data's hosed, because it's contradictory, but we don't know where.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's really thinking about your hands but you use the word "quantum" so you think you sound respectable.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

It's really thinking about your hands but you use the word "quantum" so you think you sound respectable.

I saw on tv there’s a quantum ant or something? idk I’m not really a scientist

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Do quantum batteries function as AC power since they keep changing direction?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I don’t know how I got tangled up in this thread

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Quantum physics was pretty revolutionary, but at its core it is just a more sober understanding of what observation is. It’s all kind of obvious and self evident in retrospect.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Quantum physics is philosophy for stemlords

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

tokin opposition posted:

Quantum physics is philosophy for stemlords

is it a cause or effect of Postmodernism? either way do not trust Germans

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I tried reading A Brief History of Time and my mind exploded about halfway through. Physics is really cool though.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
its cool we spend money on science and stuff but then again i see people sleeping under cardboard boxes everyday so i dont really care about some particles or a picture of a blackhole from 65 million years ago

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Bakers Cousin posted:

its cool we spend money on science and stuff but then again i see people sleeping under cardboard boxes everyday so i dont really care about some particles or a picture of a blackhole from 65 million years ago

In a sane world we'd have done both.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

endlessmonotony posted:

It's not hard to understand, we just don't have the data to verify or falsify it. We know the data's hosed, because it's contradictory, but we don't know where.

right but we do know that local realism is false regardless. that’s what bothers people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

u mad bro?