Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
*rocking back and forth in an asylum with pictures of jpow drawn in crayon on the walls*

one something’s got to give
two something’s got to give
three something’s got to give

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

another bank goes down, all depositors protected..... it's all going according to Plan

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

so FDIC is now effectively unlimited?

lol

i wonder if NCUA would get the same deal

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

loving corrupt motherfuckers holding up a loving corrupt system

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SourKraut posted:

loving corrupt motherfuckers holding up a loving corrupt system

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Lmao wolfers won't, but it would be funny if this pilled him in some way.
https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1635057972652171265?t=tiBm76B4GD8DWf6wwiA1Ig&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

so FDIC is now effectively unlimited?

lol

i wonder if NCUA would get the same deal

Oh man if credit unions started blowing up then I would for real become Worried.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1635058215816757248?t=bx7TTnGQhgO_ZI6OJUGsXA&s=19

https://twitter.com/blakersdozen/status/1635056707750739971?t=Ppnc_tvMnUuzUO_-6DvuHQ&s=19

🤔

Edit:
https://twitter.com/GordonJohnson19/status/1635058425372745728?t=KS8baLajAsOM5mz4eUkjXA&s=19

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i guess we'd be in a very different world if Dick Fuld were loud on twitter fifteen years ago

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Nonsense posted:

Monday is going to be amazing

the last of us season finale tonight, looks like season 2 starting immediately tomorrow morning

BLOOD

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

thank GOD roku will get all their deposited $$$ deposits $$$ back, seeing what happens to my roku TV if they go under gets delayed further

jerome you are invited to come over to watch the oscars bro

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
At least the bank shareholders will be wiped out

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The entire finance mediasphere is calling it a bailout
https://twitter.com/FerroTV/status/1635059594014900225?t=limhbYBNJpwQyqcCzxYxKw&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

The entire finance mediasphere is calling it a bailout

"full speed ahead on rate hikes" :evilbuddy:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

thank GOD roku will get all their deposited $$$ deposits $$$ back, seeing what happens to my roku TV if they go under gets delayed further

jerome you are invited to come over to watch the oscars bro

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
signatures off

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

SKULL.GIF posted:

All that does is crush "consumers". The liquidity that needs to be drained is completely backstopped by the Fed and Treasury now. It is insanity.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

coelomate posted:

anyway now that jpow has bailed out three banks that blew up because (checks notes) jpow jacked up rates, how do you think that will impact (checks notes) jpow's willingness to continue raising rates at the next meeting in (checks notes) 10 days?

i think rate hikes are dead. the question is how long they'll maintain current rates

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
funny stuff, good content. best weekend content in a long time.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
So like why shouldn't a bank just make the riskiest bet possible and over leverage has hard as possible?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Let's do some math!

You're a bank (nice!) and you bought $1,000 worth of 20-year treasuries in August 2020, and it paid ~1% interest ($10 per year)

The 20-year treasury now pays ~4% interest, and that makes your old one paying only 1% worth much less.

That 3% rise in interest rate caused your bond to drop to $630 in face value (I plugged it into a bond calculator, math checks out)

You stashed it in your "HOLD TO MATURITY" portfolio and hoped you didn't need to sell.

Uh oh depositors bank ran you and you almost needed to sell!

FED STEPS IN and now promises it will lend you $1,000 for your "$1,000 bond" that is now actually only worth $630 in the market.

Nice...

coelomate has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Mar 13, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

As that ZH chart shows, Wells Fargo is my bet for the first Big 4 bank to pop like a balloon.

if wells fargo goes pop, that's gunna be insane since every public agency and like 80% of small to med-size businesses use them

like straight up entire death of america

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

spacemang_spliff posted:

So like why shouldn't a bank just make the riskiest bet possible and over leverage has hard as possible?

✋ This isn't the time for lectures on "moral hazard".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

spacemang_spliff posted:

check back in a year lol

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Nothing matters

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

spacemang_spliff posted:

good question, moving on

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao KISMET beautiful we love to see it folks

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yellen ok’d this all because ol’ gently caress buddy Summers told her she needed to.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

coelomate posted:

Let's do some math!

You're a bank (nice!) and you bought $1,000 worth of 20-year treasuries in August 2020, and it paid ~1% interest ($10 per year)

The 20-year treasury now pays ~4% interest, and that makes your old one paying only 1% worth much less. In fact, to sell it in today's market, you would have to sell it for

That 3% rise in interest rate caused your bond to drop to $630 in face value (I plugged it into a bond calculator, math checks out)

You stashed it in your "HOLD TO MATURITY" portfolio and hoped you didn't need to sell.

Uh oh depositors bank ran you and you almost needed to sell!

FED STEPS IN and now promises it will lend you $1,000 for your "$1,000 bond" that is now actually only worth $630 in the market.

Nice...

Yep. It is a huge backdoor bailout. This is just going to exacerbate the problems.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Burry is seething. He's just like us.

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Mar 13, 2023

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

maybe i'll still get those interviews now

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

there's no way they're going to be doing a 50 bp hike now, that would be insanity

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

spacemang_spliff posted:

it’s a moral hazard!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh man if credit unions started blowing up then I would for real become Worried.
i don't think it'll happen but coincidentally i recently moved 90% of my meager non-bill-paying-checking out of my CU about 2 weeks ago (before this all blew up) into vanguard

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Xaris posted:

i think rate hikes are dead. the question is how long they'll maintain current rates

Even if the rate doesn't drop the markets will be ecstatic at no more hikes.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol this is all so stupid why even have money it's all fake as poo poo my d&d characters experience points are more real lmao

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

✋ This isn't the time for lectures on "moral hazard".

[Non-Doomsday Economics] ✋ This isn't the time for lectures on "moral hazard".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Vox Nihili posted:

there's no way they're going to be doing a 50 bp hike now, that would be insanity

75 basis point drop, calling it