Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yeah well isaiah thomas was pretty good back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
https://twitter.com/itsjwills/status/1634640321370882050?s=46&t=prPdvwNKek6G5lIo0cy9OA

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it uses the worthless stat rebounds for defense

it really should just be binned.

If I were to put out my own personal, subjective rankings of the top 50 NBA players, and they mirrored the rankings of FiveThirtyEight’s RAPTOR, I would be laughed at and called the single dumbest pundit on NBA Twitter. In the top 50 alone – which should be far and away the easiest group to rank – there are many comically out of place players.

Alex Caruso is 12th. Delon Wright is 18th. Josh Okogie and Derrick White are tied for 20th. Isaiah Joe is 32nd. Alec Burks is 41st. Austin Reaves and John Konchar are tied for 48th. I’m sure many people will call this cherry picking, but if 15-20% of the rankings that your metric spits out are obvious bullshit (spoiler: it’s more than 15-20%), then dare I say, your metric is not very good and should not receive widespread credence from NBA media members.

white is pretty good tho obv

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

so if jokic actually was a center then yes he would be a clear cut MVP and maybe the best player of all time. or among the top 5. but he doesn’t play center. he literally cannot. even the chief priests of the jokic temple admit he’s not a center. yet all of his “advanced” stats are calculated with the assumption he’s a center !!! it’s maddening. this is a perfect example where the simulacrum (jokic is a center ) has diverged from reality (jokic is not a center ) and the whole media is more interested in the simulacrum than reality . this happens a lot in media and sports (“passing” “touch downs” for example )

edit

this issue is even ignoring the fact that writers suddenly forgot about voter fatigue this year

edit edit

if jokic was as good as the advanced stats say, Denver would have won a Finals already

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 12, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

euphronius posted:

it uses the worthless stat rebounds for defense

it really should just be binned.

If I were to put out my own personal, subjective rankings of the top 50 NBA players, and they mirrored the rankings of FiveThirtyEight’s RAPTOR, I would be laughed at and called the single dumbest pundit on NBA Twitter. In the top 50 alone – which should be far and away the easiest group to rank – there are many comically out of place players.

Alex Caruso is 12th. Delon Wright is 18th. Josh Okogie and Derrick White are tied for 20th. Isaiah Joe is 32nd. Alec Burks is 41st. Austin Reaves and John Konchar are tied for 48th. I’m sure many people will call this cherry picking, but if 15-20% of the rankings that your metric spits out are obvious bullshit (spoiler: it’s more than 15-20%), then dare I say, your metric is not very good and should not receive widespread credence from NBA media members.

white is pretty good tho obv

derrick white is actually a very good defensive guard

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I know I said that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

euphronius posted:

I know I said that

im saying hes very good. which is a tier above pretty good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

idk if he’s top 50 in the nba let alone the 20th best player in the nba

he’s very good tho yes . being 6’4” is helpful

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

derrick white is actually a very good defensive guard

hes not

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well, hes no marcus smart. sure. but he's good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I know I posted a lot I’m sorry A I T. lots of mvp stuff happening tho .

the fact that jokic is getting double points for assists is a real revelation

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

well, hes no marcus smart. sure. but he's good

hes pretty bad

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

euphronius posted:

I know I posted a lot I’m sorry A I T. lots of mvp stuff happening tho .

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
euph is gonna get so mad about stat weighting that he accidentally learns a real-world skill

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jokic has the heaviest stats for sure

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

euph do you have excel proficiency?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I use three computer programs :
1. word
2. edge
3. acrobat

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

1. word
2. edge
3. acrobat

EDGE???????

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

1. word
2. edge
3. acrobat

explain edge

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s what my company has on the computer they give me.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

DMCrimson posted:

explain edge

son of internet explorer

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

i expected more from Littler

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how dare you

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
that was a mean one and I will offer a gesture of friendship by inviting everyone itt to laugh at Littler eating poo poo at tcgplayer

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

do you not have admin privileges to install a different one or what

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t even change the screen saver

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

does it have minesweeper at least

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
do you not have your own personal computer

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I use Firefox on that one

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

1. word
2. edge
3. acrobat
you LIE

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

I've seen people not bother to maintain a personal computer if work gives them one, usually it's because their personal one is like a ten-year-old laptop or whatever, but usually they're at least allowed to install programs

I cannot imagine living like that personally. I keep my work laptop on my desk next to my personal PC, share m/kb with Synergy, switch the middle monitor back and forth between them as needed with an HDMI switch, and the work PC is strictly business that way, but even that would be basically impossible for me if I couldn't install poo poo

it's an MBP so it'd be on Safari rather than Edge but that's not much better

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
IT decided to make our work PCs/laptops auto-lock after 5 minutes of inactivity and the admin privileges are so tight that it took me three tries to find a mouse jiggler I could get to run

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kingcobweb posted:

its the workers computer OP

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

edge is better than chrome

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

portland failblazers at it again

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
https://twitter.com/espnnba/status/1635039714238517249?s=46&t=prPdvwNKek6G5lIo0cy9OA

jokic could lose by 30 and media would find some obscure advanced stat to cheer him on

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
obscure stats like “points”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't know enough about basketball to understand how the Nets are beating some top teams and managing to keep games with the Bucks and 6ers very close when they look like poo poo half the time. they just lost to the Bulls by like 50

is it.... could it be.... Double Ewing Theory??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Beal is so cooked